Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Unable To Complete Mission ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Normal disclaimer applies.
Note: not for Relena-lovers...this won't have any mindless bashing of her, but I'm making her out to be a bit of a...well, bitch. Will contain 1x2x1 and 3x4. Working title...can't think of anything else. ^^;;;



Unable to Complete Mission



He was the life of the party, a smile plastered consistantly on his face as he practically bounced from guest to guest of Relena's be celebration, wrapping an arm around someone and chatting amiably for a few minutes before moving on to the next victim. The boy's long braid swung behind him like a living thing, a thick black snake perhaps, and his violet eyes glowed with a beauty unsurrpassed on earth or the colonies...it was hard to believe that he was a Gundam pilot...that he'd killed and-more importantly-that people wanted to kill him.

Heero forced his eyes off the other pilot and down to the small screen on his laptop that sat on one of the round tables in the ballroom. He opened a window and began typing rapidly.


Date: Saturday, September 15
Time: 19:23
To: j@gd.colonies.org
Subject: Mission
From: 01@gp.colonies.org

Unable to complete mission. Please advise.

-01


Pressing the send button, Heero found himself drumming his fingers impatiently as he waited for the e-mail to go out. Just was the window automatically closed, a surprising wieght settled itself on Heero's shoulders. Automatically, Heero had already drawn his gun adn snapped the laptop shut before his brain registered that it was Duo. Scowling, Heero met those beautiful eyes that were only inches from his own hard ones.

"What do you want?" He asked, forcing himself to ignore the infectious smile that the other boy wore.

Duo's face reassembled itself into something resembling seriousness. "I want a dance." he said, his voice unnatrually grave, though his eyes twinkled with joy-filled mischeif.

Heero glanced over his shoulder to the crowded dance floor where couples and a couple of singles alike swayed to the soft music a string quintette was playing. "Then dance," he said, turning his eyes back towards Duo. "I'm certain that there are many people here who would dance with you-and if not, then dance on your own. I fail to see why your pestering me."

Duo rolled his eyes. "But Heero," his voice took on a degree of whine calculated to get on Heero's nerves, but not so bad that the dark haired pilot would deny Duo what he wanted. "I want to dance with YOU..."

Heero frowned. He'd been in arguments of that nature with Duo-and it always ended up the same way. Duo would bug him relentlessly until Heero submitted to whatever whim the American wanted-and if Heero didn't do it fast enough, Duo's tatics got a bit...vicious and embarresing.

Cobalt eyes narrowed. "I do this and you'll leave me alone?"

Duo nodded quickly, his braid bouncing at the base of his neck and down his spine. "For the rest of the evening," he promised, reaching up to pat his cross in a gesture that had grown to mean a promise. "But you have to dance a full dance with me."

Scowling, Heero slipped his gun away once again-truth was he'd forgotten he was holding it-and stood up. "All right." he agreed. He didn't want to argue with the boy...he had too much on his mind just then...like that bleeding mission that J had saddled him with.

"Yay!" Duo said, grin on his face as he jumped a bit into the air, drawing several guest's attention. Heero's scowl deepened and he glowered at them until they looked hastily away. "Thank you thank you thank you, Heero!" Duo said, grabbing Heero's hand in one of his own, and practically dragging the reluctant pilot of Wing to the dance floor. With a grin like a cat, Duo wrapped his arms around Heero's neck, resting his head on the other's shoulder rather than assuming the traditional positions for a waltz. Heero didn't bother say anything, simply put his hands awkwardly on Duo's hips as the music started.

Duo led, a smile on his lips as the two slowly made their way around the floor, ignoring the few stares and whispers that followed them. With Heero's intensity and Duo's hyper cheeriness, stares were something that neither were unused to. Heero's eyes scanned the room absently, noticing the frown and glower that Relena wore before they turned in such a way that his back was to her.

~*~

If there was a heaven, Duo was in it. Heero was by no means the best of dancers; his hands, so agile when it came to cleaning a gun, were clumsy on Duo's sides and his feet seemed to drag across the polished floor...but his hands were on Duo's sides; Duo's head was on his shoulder and they were dancing. Few things could make the braided pilot happier. And what made it even better, was that Heero had turned Miss. Perfect Peacecraft down for a dance earlier that evening.

Cracking his violet eyes open, Duo's smile widened. Yes, there she was, high and mighty Queen of the world, at her own party...staring at the dancers with a look of pure hatred deforming her features. He closed his eyes once again, and let himself bask in her annoyance...and Heero's arms.

~*~

The dance ended and Heero left Duo without ceremony. Colbalt eyes searched the room for Relena, but didn't see her. She was likely playing the good hostess, bidding her guests good-bye, or seeing that there was enough champain...it didn't really matter. Heero didn't want to talk to her-not really...but facing her was somewhat inavoidable with him.

Greatfully the Perfect Soldier returned to the table where he'd left his laptop, not surprised to find Wufei sitting there, book in hand, his reading glasses perched on the edge of his nose. He glanced up as Heero pulled his chair out and sat down, immediatly opening his laptop. No words were exchanged between the two, which was the way Heero liked it. Though, usually, it wasn't Chang he had trouble with...Quatre and Duo were the overly social ones. Especially Duo.

He waited a moment for his laptop to come out of sleep mode, then Heero opened his INBOX folder. One new message...from Dr. J, just as he'd hoped.

He opened message and waited impatiently for the four seconds it took to load.


Date: Saturday, September 15
Time: 19:34
To: 01@gp.colonies.org
Subject: RE: Mission
From: j@gd.colonies.org
Why unable to complete mission?

-J


Frowning, Heero quickly wrote a reply: Personal reasons. He sent it off as soon as he was finished. The Perfect Soldier was about to close the window, when the laptop emmitted a soft beeping noise. J was on just then? Heero opened the new e-mail with an emotion not unsimular to anxiety invading his mind...


Date: Saturday, September 15
Time: 19:39
To: 01@gp.colonies.org
Subject: RE: Mission
From: j@gd.colonies.org

Insufficient reason.
Mission stands-assisinate pilot 02 by the end of the night.

-J



Tsudzuku