Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Unable To Complete Mission ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Heero sat on the cold ground, his back pressed up against the hard "foot" of Wing. His knees were drawn against his chest and held there by his bare arms; his head was lowered so that his mess of moss-green hair cast shadows over his face and brooding eyes. Brooding cobalt eyes that were focused intentled on teh body sprawled out not a dozen feet from the Japanese teen.

Duo was still wrapped in the blood stained blanket, though his head has found it's way out of the dark folds. In the soft light of the moon, Duo looked peacefully asleep-his face relaxed; his vibrant eyes closed and his mouth hanging open slightly. His chestnut braid had fallen limply by his head, obscuring his chin. Only if he looked hard could Heero see the crimson blood that matted the other pilot's hair and was smeared carelessly across his forehead.

Duo's cheek twitched and his lips moved numbly. Heero got to his feet and walked over to kneel beside the silent form. Truthfully, Wing's pilot hadn't meant to hit his friend as hard as he had...he'd needed Duo to be still and quiet for the Japanese boy to safely pilot the two away in his Gundam-the easiest way to insure this was to knock the other out. However, Heero's training had never included how much force it took to knock someone briefly unconsious. Actually, the blood had been a little useful-when the other pilots found it, along with Wing missing, they'd be able to confirm that something had happened to the American, in case J ever asked.

Heero fingered the long haired pilot's wound gently-or gently for him, for it still illicetted a moan from the semi-concious boy. Heero couldn't be certain, but he didn't think that he'd given his friend a concussion...Duo would have one massive headache though.

Duo moaned again and the Perfect Soldier sat back on his haunches to watch the violet eyes slowly open. Duo blinked a few times, as though his eyes refused to focus or the pale light, so dim to Heero, was too bright.

"Heero?" Duo croaked, his voice nearly unrecognizable as belonging to the fun-loving pilot.

Heero leaned foward, holding three slim fingers only inches from Duo's face. "How many fingers do you see?" he asked briskly.

Duo stared for a second and blinked once again before answering. "Three." he replied and Heero lowered his hand, satisfied that Deathscythe's pilot would recover without too many complications. "What happened?" Duo questioned. "Where am I?" he twisted his head to look around, but winced immediatly. He lay still from then on.

"You are in a field," Heero answered, thinking the other deserved explanation and unwilling to withhold it from him. "On the edge of a thick forest. It's the only place I could find to conceal Wing well enough." The stoic pilot took a deep breath, preparing himself to do something that he, Heero Yuy, did not do. "I'm sorry I hit you and kidnapped you," he apologized, watching surprise; confusion and anger bloom in the American's expression. He spoke quickly to stop the torrent of words that threatened to spill from Duo's lips. "It was necessary-you were in danger and this was the only thing I could think to do."

Surprise overtook anger and for a moment Duo was quiet, though his mouth hung open, ready to let loose all that ran through his mind. "How was I in danger?" Deathscythe's pilot said at last, when Heero was just beginning to grow edgy-something which didn't happen without good reason to the Perfect Soldier. "And what exactly did you do?" Duo's voice and words were well regulated, but Heero could still detect the confusion and anger that lurked behind them.

"I kidnapped you," Heero said briefly, with his usual eloquince, or lack thereof. "Because I got a mission to kill you and didn't want to complete it."

Silence filled the air and echoed off Wing's heavy frame.

"I have a headache." Duo announced, closing his vibrant eyes. "And I have a lot to think about-would you leave me alone for a while?"

Heero hesitated. "Will you stay?" he asked, fearing that the other pilot would steal his Gundam and return to the safehouse-even though it was obviously painful for Duo to so much as move his head.

Violet eyes snapped open angirly, silently demanding the answers to questions that weighed on btoh boys mind: Heero had kidnapped his friend; knocking him out and scaring him...why should Duo stay? Why should Duo trust his comrade and visa versa? And did Heero even diserve to be trusted?

Angry eyes softened as Duo comprehended what he was seeing in the Perfect Soldier's expression and clear eyes: regret; worry; caring and a soul wrenching plea.

"I give my word that I'll stya," Duo replied, easing some of the anxiety from the Japanese soldier's mind.

"Here," Heero paced his open hand where his now-willing captive could see the tiny pills that rested in his palm. "Pain killers." he explained.

"Not now," Duo replied, and Heero curled his fingers back around the drugs. "Right now I just need to be alone...to think."

Heero nodded, pushing himself to his feet. With a last worried glance at his blanket-wrapped friend, Heero walked away.

Though his mind was occupied by a thousand little thoughts and a hundred internal debated, the boy from the L1 colony cluster stalked into the dark woods behind his mobile suit.

Sitting on the damp ground in the shadow of his looming Gundam, Heero typed a single phraze inan e-mail to his mentor.

Date: Sunday, September 16
Time: 3:17
To: j@gd.colonies.org
Subject: RE: Mission
From: 01@gp.colonies.org

Mission accomplished.

-01



TBC