Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ The Things We Do ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: The Things We Do

Poetry is mine

Gundam Wing not mine just borrowing.

*****************************

It was a strange little fact of life but the two rarely spoke, and they would both deny it had anything to do with their common connection. No the simple fact was they just never had anything to say to each other aside from the occasional 'Hello'. So when Zechs entered his new office it struck him off guard to see her waiting for him. He started things off as he always did, polite how do you do's', and the normal trying vernacular that just seemed unimportant. He offered her refreshment which she quickly, but softly declined. And he noticed, for the first time, just how worn she seemed.

"What can I do for you today Preventor Po," his voice graced the air in a low boom.

She held out an envelope that he recognized all too well, her eyes meeting his in an eerie understanding. He never thought it would come down to this somehow. Never imagined the fairly passive medic would ever have cause to confront him. She was battle weary and obviously had enough of everything that was going on, tired of the routine and sick of the play that bound her to him.

"I see," he whispered, "you received one too. I take it you know the meaning."

"I knew the minute I read it," she replied stiffly.

"Then why are you here?"

She tossed the envelope onto the desk and felt her jaw clench. "I might ask you the same question. Her message is quite clear, but..." She fought her aching heart. "But though it was my first impulse to run to her side I can not."

"Hn."

"Why did you leave her?" Her gaze swept to the floor and it was clear she was trying to keep her temper. She always kept her temper. That was one thing that always impressed him about her.

"I thought I'd make things easier." While the truth, the answer felt forced and he could not bring himself to say that he was also afraid. "Why can't you run to her? If you love her I don't understand why you'd keep yourself from her."

She smirked, almost laughed, "That is a strange comment coming from you. You of all people..." She sighed shaking her head in something bordering on disbelief and bitter relief. "You don't get it do you Zechs? And I don't know why you should. I know her better than anyone one else in the galaxy. The minute she steps into a room I know everything that's bothering her and everything that makes her happy. But I am her second...and she may like to think she loves us both the same...but she doesn't."

"So you're here to...talk some sense into me?"

"No." Her light blue eyes burned into him. "I'm here to give you a direct order, stop being such a damned fool and go to her. Prove to me that you deserve her."

He didn't look convinced. "I don't-"

"Oh damn it!" She jumped from her seat. "God I hate you all so much for this. Not a true burning hate, but I'm just so tired of this play! And I really hate having to be the one to make it end. She will not make up her mind and not because she doesn't know whom she loves more...But because she wants to make sure someone will be there no matter what. And you..." She searched for a breath. "You are such an idiot! You love her. I know you do. And if all this running is because of some damned silly excuse like you aren't sure why she loves you. Aren't sure she loves you enough...I..."

She started to calm down, but the wear and tear of the entire situation had built up so much she couldn't control her emotions. He had worked with her for years and never once knew her to lose hold of her personal feelings. Never saw her lash out in anger or grief, but now...She was in tears.

"I don't have what it takes to make her happy," she confessed, "and...I want her to be happy."

She finally gave up and fell into her chair. He was at a loss. He wasn't sure how to handle such strong emotions.

She wiped her tears away and sniffed. Looked over at him and asked in a shaky voice, "Do you love her? Do you at all? Above anything else that's the one thing I need to know, 'cause if you don't...If you really don't then- "

"I love her."

"Thank God," she whispered. She reached into her pocket and threw a plain gold ring onto the desk. "Run to her then. Run to her and never leave her again or I'll kill you. Run to her and give her the forever she wants, because you will not get another chance like this ever again. You will have no opposition. No drama to worry about or impending fist fights. Just go...and go quickly."

"How is it you can do this?"

Sally swallowed down another torrent of tears to answer him, "Because I love her...And that means seeing her happy no matter the cost to me. Now...you have a mission to complete. So go."

Seas will cry
And wind will howl
She loves you not
She needs you not
Run to me
Rain will fall
And the ground will shake
She loves you not
She needs you not
Oh run to me
My arms are cool
My kisses sweet
I know just what you need
I have it all here with me
She loves you not
She loves you not
Run to me
Run to me
My arms will always welcome and be free
She needs you not
And it breaks your heart
Run to me
Yes, run to me

"So you gave her up again?"

Sally looked up at him as he walked up the stairs, Wufei's dark eyes ready to spark with anger.

"I did. And it would be a great favor to me if you could kill the chivalry," she replied softly. "No charging off on a white horse to bring me justice...Justice is not to be had."

"Fine then, no charging."

"And you need not worry. She will never run to me again, and he will never leave her again."

"That's quite a claim." He sat down next to her.

"I promised to kill him if he ever made her cry again."

A long silence intruded and they watched the sun set, watched the past die with the day. But he was still concerned; she could feel it in his gaze.

"What about you?" He asked secretly praying for an answer that he knew he would not receive. "What are you going to do?"

She smiled and then sighed at the weight of his concern. "I'm going to go to a bar. I will have too much to drink. I will sing off key for the karaoke hour and then I will come home...Either by myself or with a one-night stand, and which ever it is I'll still regret it in the morning. After the hangover subsides I plan to move on with my life and find a way to mend my broken heart."

"Why?"

"Because it sounds better than crying on your shoulder all night, refusing your loving advances and really hating myself in the morning," she replied far too honestly.

He looked stunned, and then began to utter some sort of protest but she cut him off before he got very far.

"Wufei...the best of intentions are always lost in a time like this. And for all your care, and compassion and worry for me..." She was sure nothing she said would make him fell better, so she slung an arm around his shoulder and continued, "You know very well I can't love you like you want, and for someone so big on injustice...You manage to be the least just with yourself." She sighed, "I'm not helping am I?"

"No."

"Great," she whispered sadly.

"Sally?"

"Hm?"

He looked away, "Nothing...It isn't important."

He walked into the house and up to his room. He always knew once he heard her say something like no he could let her go. And it was always his plan to just up and leave, go off and wander the emptiness of space, but even with the no he couldn't. She was the only person he really cared for and so he took what he felt for her and buried it. Buried it so it was nothing more than deep admiration and he hoped that there it would stay.

Yesterday
I knew how to refuse someone like you
Yesterday
I knew...
How to escape
Someone like you
Like you...
And you are what I don't need
Something sweet
Something false
Something...
Dangerous
And I used to know how to refuse
Someone like you

Smoky blue lights and a mourning saxophone were all she needed. And as tempting as completely dulling her senses sounded, she could not manage to drink anything stronger than orange juice. Sally looked nothing like herself in that place. No stiff uniform or comfortable fatigues to mark her as anything but another lonely soul listening to the blues. Oddly comfortable in her black slacks and silk blouse she let her mind drift over the husky tones of the music that played. Ignoring the occasional and extremely laughable pickup lines that would grace her ears, because didn't need a one- night stand, or the loss of her senses, she just needed to be alone.

As the melodious tones shifted from bluesy to a more sorrow filled jazz her mind turned to thoughts of Wufei. Her poor boy and he wasn't a boy any longer. She almost wished she could grant his request, but knew it would do nothing but make things worse. She worried about him though. Worried her honesty was just a bit too brutal and maybe it was...But she always knew when she had to put her foot down and the things in her life had just gotten too out of control for her to be gentle.

You can wonder
You can worry
But then she enters a room
And there is nothing
But heaven
That looms over you
And she looks
Like an angel
With a devil inside
Too bad you're so sober
'Cos she'll get you alright

In an act bordering on fate the music changed from sorrow to sultry as blue eyes met blue from across the room. And there was something about the girl Sally knew she should recognize, but she didn't know what it was. Something deadly and dark in the way the girl's smile diplomatically graced her face. There were warning signs everywhere for the Preventor to notice, and some she caught and others she missed...But however dangerous the girl was there was just something about her, and the something sucked the lonely heart from the woman and made her want. Made her forget that she wanted to be alone, and steadily that feeling took hold of her. She rose from her seat and sauntered over to the danger.

"May I sit here," Sally asked in her most chivalrous tone.

"You may sit where you like," the girl was summing her up. "Why are you trying to act like a knight in shining armor?"

"I wasn't aware that I was."

Bright blue eyes sparked as she giggled, "Of course you were aware. But it's okay...I suppose I look like a princess in need of rescue."

"Sort of, you do look familiar...I'm sure I should know who you are," the Preventor mentioned. "I have this feeling we met once."

"We have."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Long ago..." She trailed off, and wasn't sure if she wanted truth in that space or not. It would have been so easy to lie. "You held my hero captive," was the final truthfully cryptic response.

She paled as the memory slid over her. "I see...Well what brings you to this lonely place? What are you seeking?"

"Destruction."

The older woman thought over the answer. The way it worked into the blood. The princess wanted destruction, such a funny twist to every fairytale she knew. And then she smiled and asked with a gracious tone, "Your destruction or someone else's?"

"Maybe both."

"Then..." Sally paused to think over what she wanted. It was so easy to just walk away, and leave the girl to her need for darkness, "Maybe I can of some service."

Continued…