Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ From Far Away ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: From Far Away

Gundam not mine just borrowing.

Poetry mine don't steal.

Lines from the following songs have been used, Rhythm Emotion( Two-Mix), Stone by Stone (catatonia), Siren (Tori Amos), Siuil A Ruin (the chieftains), and Info High (Macross Plus).

****************************************

From far away
I hear drums beating
I hear trumpets blaring
Calling me far from home

The television was flashing with some bright and annoying commercial for hair gel, but Mariemea wasn't paying attention to it. Instead her eyes were wandering over a textbook that seemed the size of an encyclopedia. It was marked Calculus II across the front in big bold blue letters, a background of abstract shapes floating under the bold letters in lighter shades of blue. A yawn escaped her lips briefly and then she sighed. Finals were coming up and even though she was sufficient in the subject she hated calculus with a divine passion. It was the only subject she had to force herself to study, forced decent grades in that class all year long so she wouldn't have to worry about a college refusing her. Violet-blue eyes began to droop as she looked over one of the many equations, her left hand scribbling nonsense on a yellow pad of paper in vain. She jolted awake and shook her head. Another yawn over took her and just as she was finished a calm but excited voice called to her.

"How do I look?"

The redhead set her book down and could barely speak. Her jaw hung open just slightly as she blinked in amazement.

"Mari? What do you think," Une asked again. She was clad in black save the red tank top that was peeking from behind what Dorothy often called a bullfighters jacket since it stopped just at the waist. Her shoulder length hair was slicked back into a tight ponytail, black trousers that had that tight but perfect fit look to them, and ankle high boots with just enough of a heel, and a dab of lipstick coloring her mouth.

"You...look...You look great," Mariemea exclaimed as she bounced up from the couch, "But um... what's with the glasses?"

Hazelnut colored eyes sat trapped behind wireless circular frames and with and exasperated sigh Une stated, "Someone accidentally poured my contact lenses down the bathroom sink."

"That's funny," the girl giggled, "I'm sorry but it is. She moves in and bam... no more contact lenses..." Another giggle left her lips before asking, "So dancing again tonight?"

"Of course... what else would we be doing on a weeknight," Une replied with a smile, "I get to lead tonight."

"So, is she almost ready? What's she wearing?"

"You'll see," the ex-colonel replied with a wink.

Before there was moment to relax the taxing beep of a cell phone could be heard. Une was suddenly stiff, her eyes focused and cold. Quick steps took her to over to the front room of the house. She answered the phone trying to keep her heart from beating out of her chest. In the other room a worried teenager listened, catching words she did not like the sound of. Dorothy bounded down the stairs and into the living room and noting the silence could do nothing but wait. The goddess could feel tension growing as she heard.

"I'll be there in less than thirty minutes. Call everyone in do you hear me...Everyone."

They couldn't move. Dorothy and Mariemea just stood where they were, glued to the spot, worry, like a fog wrapping them in a blinding net. Une ran into the room hugged the two as hard as she could before breaking the embrace.

"I'll call you when I get to the office," she said as she stepped backwards towards the door. Her eye contact steady on violet-blue eyes as she said, "I'll be home soon", and then shifting to blue, "It's just a fire..."

She trailed off as she ran out the door. The high pitch rev of a motorcycle engine screaming off into the night marked her complete exit. And the two left in the house could do nothing but sit and squeeze the other's hand, trying to remind each other that it was nothing, nothing big...nothing major. It was just a fire and it would be put out.

From far away
I hear drums beating
Calling my soul
Trumpets blaring
Calling me home

The year is After Colony 205.

Sally Po had been at the blues club she frequented. Sipping on her ninth glass of straight orange juice and flirting with a waitress she was beginning like more and more with each passing day. Her fun was quickly ended as she answered her phone. She didn't realize she had dropped the glass. She just bolted for the nearest exit and drove as fast as she could into the black night.

The year is after colony 205. The time is 9pm.

Wufei Chang was riding his supped up vintage Harley Davidson along the winding road of some mountain he had hidden Nataku in once. It felt nice to get out of the house and look at the stars. Contemplating his still very young life and seek salvation in the patterns he found in the sky. He had stopped at the highest point he could manage. Gazing over the city and pondering if everything was always as bright just as his phone rang. And suddenly the brand new engine of the vintage Harley Davidson motorcycle was being put to a true test of speed and endurance.

The year is after colony 205. The time is 9pm. It is a Wednesday.

Lucrezia Noin was lounging on her sister-in-law's white leather couch reading a copy of 'Raise High the Roof Beams Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction'. With a sharpened pencil she underlined her favorite lines. Half the book was full of her markings. In the distance she heard her cell phone ring. She answered it and ran out door to the garage. Hopped into her car and drove. Amid the chaos of it all she managed a quick call to her husband, but the conversation didn't make much sense.

The year...is after colony 205. The time is 12am. It is now Thursday. It is sixty degrees outside.

The information was filtered quickly to all senior Preventor officers. The room was tight and already very thick with a haze of sweat and stale air. Tactical maps were laid across the table and the four inside devised the best plan they could think of. Outside no warning sirens sounded, but the sounds of panic and hurry were clear as battalions jogged to their posts, as every transport took off in flight, and trucks rumbled away carrying weapons that were no longer supposed to exist. Wufei shook his head as he looked at one of the maps, his dark eyes rolling over red and blue markings with care. He sighed.

"This will not do," he said. "The enemy has a weakness. They are foolish in their reason, but by the look of this," he tapped the map, "they have more troops than we do. Five years ago this would not have been a problem but now... our defenses are very low."

"Suggestions," Une's voice hit the air with solid purpose.

No one had anything to say. It was true the Preventor battalions were small in number, supposed perpetual peace had thinned the ranks a great deal.

"Well, then I think we have little choice," the ex-colonel whispered, "We will have to initiate Project Star."

"Is it wise," Wufei asked suddenly, "to open up this project we have to call upon those who were happy to leave battle."

"Happy because they were no longer needed," Noin replied. "And aren't you one of them?"

"I am." His dark eyes shifted to the map again. "And I am ready to go. I just hope the others are as willing."

And one by one
We will all march along
We will sing our rage and dance our fears
We will battle for the chance

After Colony 205 Project Star was initiated at exactly 3am. Four coded transmissions were sent out. Three coded transmissions were received back.

** I just feel Rhythm emotion
I just feel love forever and more
Only to you I'm sending my heart beat so far away**

He was balancing on his hands, feet in the air and dangling.

"Okay well...you got that far," Cathy chuckled, "are you gonna move or what?"

Duo grimaced as he inched one hand in front of the other. He laughed as he got a little further.

"Hey I'm doing it!"

"You certainly are," the red head replied.

He soon fell over as his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He rolled over to his side taking Cathy's laughter with ease. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

"I have to get that fixed," he mentioned as he flicked it open. "This is D- "

Silence never felt so heavy, and Catherine Bloom had an astute sense of what the call was for. She'd only ever felt silence like that once before and she never wanted to feel it again. She swallowed and her throat stung as his bright blue eyes were suddenly dark and worried. His smile, that Cheshire grin she was falling for vanished. He closed his phone and stood up slowly.

"I have to go Cat," he began.

"Then you better hurry," she replied. "You better go quickly."

Her heart was pounding in her chest as she watched him run off. Fighting her tears because she knew he'd be back and fighting her tears because her boys wouldn't be home when she got there.

*** Stone by stone
We build our castle walls
Where it burned orange let it burn gold**

Let it burn aching and lasting
Let the scars never fade
As we march away

Her fingers pressed into his shoulders as he stared blankly at the computer screen. His eyes dark and breath shallow. He spun around in his chair and looked up into her violet eyes, shook his head and looked to the ground.

"Heero," her voice broke through the din.

He did not answer. He wrapped his arms around his wife's waist and rested his head on her slightly bulging belly. She in turn ran her fingers through his hair. And they stayed like that for the longest time. She sighed.

"Heero you have to go," she whispered.

"I don't," he pleaded, "I don't."

"You do," she replied softly, "You know you do. I know you don't want to leave me. I know you don't want your child growing up without a father...but Heero... is staying worth having you son or daughter grow up in a world of violence instead of peace."

"Hilde..." He couldn't think of a defense. His eyes shut and then he stood.

"I'll be waiting," she whispered, "and you'll be home soon."

He looked into her eyes and then kissed her for as long as he could.

****Sionara to intrusive noise
No more child's play and no more toys****

"Well, well, well," Duo sang, "look who's decided to join the party."

Heero was expressionless as he made his was further into the room. He glanced around at all the ex-Gundam pilots gearing up and preparing for battle. Checking weapons, maps, radios to insure there were no malfunctions. He inhaled a deep breath and then walked over to a locker marked with his name. He too began his preparations, diligent and exacting in his work. After a long steam of silence he Hned and the other four heads in the room shot his way.

"What is it," Trowa asked.

"Where is Une," was the replied question.

Wufei finished strapping a few sticks of dynamite together and then spoke his dark eyes focused on the floor; "She's occupied at the moment with the President...Probably exchanging some choice words with him."

**And you know you're gonna lie to you
And in your own way**

The shouts coming from the command center were beginning to echo down the long hallways. Anyone who was still enough could hear nearly every word said, yelled, and growled. Inside was much worse. The two were locked in a stiff argument, neither hearing the other until finally after a moment to breathe the President waved his hand and went to leave.

"Pull the battalions," he whispered. "We can not have this incident all over the papers. We are at peace. Continue with the mission but with the fewest possible operatives."

"Are you mad?" Those around her could feel the chill of her tone deep within their bones. "You're asking suicide of a few so that the rest of the world and the colonies do not accidentally see what is about to happen."

"Yes," he whispered, "you should have caught this situation before it got to this point in the first place."

"The blame game," Une whispered, "You want blame...I'll take the blame. I'll take it with me right into battle. It's because we keep these threats secret we are in so much trouble as it is. Conflict should not be hidden from the public view... Citizens should know when they are threatened." She paused clenched her fists and then continued, "You have ultimate authority Mr. President. I will pull the battalions."

"Good. Good." The man was content with his decision. "Now...Who is going to take care of this problem?"

"My senior officers will go the members of Project Star..." She took a deep breath to keep her anger from getting the better of her, "And I...I will go."

"You are the commander you can't go to the front."

She didn't even bother to look at him. There were a few soldiers around her that looked terrified as they vainly typed tactical information into computers, and whispered coded orders over secured lines. Une bit her tongue and then made her way for the door.

"Une you have to stay here and run this office!"

She spun around on her heels and stared him down, "I have to lead my men into a most dangerous battle. You have my permission to court marshal me after I've stopped an army from marching over us and returning the world to chaos. You are the commander and chief... so do you're job and make sure we end up back here alive."

From far away
I hear a voice
Sweet and still
And it is calling me home

The minute the phone rang Mariemea answered it. She had hardly moved an inch since her guardian had left. The underlying chill she heard in her Auntie's voice told her all she needed to know. Things were not going to be fixed as easily as hoped. The redhead refrained from crying as she was told to be brave and remember that she was loved and missed. Most importantly she was promised, promised beyond any doubts that Une would return. And as the girl knew Lady Hippolyta Josephine Une never broke her promises.

"Is Dorothy there," Une asked softly. Her voice washed in static.

Mariemea quickly held the phone out to the young woman next to her. The blonde looked as if she had not slept, and took the phone greedily.

"What's going on," the goddess asked quickly. She was not as clever as she hoped she would be at hiding her tears.

Ten years ago the thought of battle would have made her giddy. Now it made her ill. She still believed in the need to fight, still held that war was necessary but the thought of Une never returning was just a bit much to swallow. She listened to the words that were being spoken with such care on the other end of the phone. Listened and prayed and admired the strong voice for being able to even speak. Finally it was time to go, time to cut the line and embark on something dangerous.

"Come back to me Hippolyta. You better come back to me. I'll never forgive your death I love you that much. Come back to me."

And then the line was dead. And Dorothy and Mariemea were once again left in the dark, waiting, and hoping, praying for relief from not knowing.

Let the sun never set
Let the stars never shine
For my love is away
And may never return
Oh hurry him back
Bring him to me
And safe for aye may my love be
Safe for aye may my love always be

It was overly warm in the tiny briefing room. The seven were cramped in like sardines as they listened to Une speak. Her tone was remarkably stable. She did not wavier as she spoke of possible death and graciously gave an out to any who did not wish to take the risk. No one took the out.

She passed out assignments then. Four teams of two were to eliminate as many rebel bases as possible and at the same time retrieve information that would lead them closer to the main rebel base of operations. They were reminded that the mission was covert and top secret, and if they were captured the government would not admit any knowledge of their existence. It was not an easy task that awaited them. But each team paired off and left the safety of the earth for outer space.

Within two weeks the eight had managed to miraculously take down over half of the rebel operations and bases.

Three weeks in the President rescinded his original order and sent out four battalions to cover security for the outer colonies.

By the end of the third week with the security battalions in place all but two rebel operations remained in tact. The main rebel base was still hidden; however with the fall of both remaining bases the goal of the rebels would be completely stopped.

And one by one
We will fall
We will bleed
We will battle for the chance

It was a three hundred foot shot that hit an encroaching guard square between the eyes. Her face was near expressionless as was her companions.

"Nice shot," he whispered and continued to set the final charges around the main columns of the empty factory. "What was your rank again before everything?"

"I was a colonel," Une whispered, "but as you've just witnessed Mr. Yuy... I've always been a better sniper and assassin."

"Hn..." He began counting, fingers hitting thumb and then back again until finally he smirked. "We have to get out of here in five minutes."

The older woman nodded, made a quick glance at her weapon and began the run. He followed closely behind her, until sprinting past in a blur.

"Show off," the lady whispered and increased her speed.

In brilliant oranges and yellows, soft pinks and pale violets the building came down with a lazy explosion. There would be no civilian casualties to report. Far from the scene Une and Heero sped off in a small car to their next target, simultaneously informing the other teams of what they had learned.

Yes let it all burn gold
Rich and worthless
As we battle
As we build
And we crush these castle walls

From space the Earth is a glowing blue and green jewel. It is a precious gem that seems nothing more than a pretty thing. But it is more, and will always remain so, for the Earth is a place of hope, a place where love finds a way to beat the odds. And on any given day freedom and peace are held dear.

The year is after colony 205. There are heroes out in the farthest reaches of space fighting a battle no one will remember. Fighting a war no one will see, earning scars that the history books will never record, because the Earth is at peace. The Earth is not in danger. There was an end to all the fighting ten years ago. No great weapons of mass destruction existed. Everyone was safe. The world was sound, and the colonies prosperous and rich.

It is the year After Colony 205. And there are bullets flying through the air in a supposedly abandoned Mining colony. There are explosions taking down empty structures. There are flags being waved and chants being shouted but only those who are there will remember them. Only those who ran tirelessly across bloody pavement on a broken ankle will know. Only those high up in a desolate bell tower shooting into the street below will know. Only those...Only those who were there will ever know that this battle means everything to the safety of the people of the colonies and those people...Those unsuspecting people living on the jewel of outer space... who take their freedom for granted and think it is easily achieved... those people will never know. That was battle is silent. That battle did not exist. And those people they are lucky not to know, because if they knew it would be a wonder if their hearts survived the sight.

Far away I see the dawn
Red and pink
Violet and blue
Black and white
And a single pale light
It calls me home
I want to go home

She had them in sight, all five leaders of the rebel forces. The five men who dared to think they could make the world better by destroying everything. High up in that tower she relived her past, her younger days. Hazelnut colored eyes focused on each target individually. Weighed carefully who was going to go first, who would run, and to where after the first shot was fired. It was not her favorite past time but she was the best the team had.

First shot. Silent and unexpected it killed instantly.

Second shot. The remaining four were a bit scattered and the second target was down within a second of the first.

Third and fourth shots go nearly at the same time. Two bodies fall and are very much dead.

Fifth shot. And that marks the end.

Sixth shot?

Was unexpected and her eyes closed as she fell down seven flights of stairs.

**Where it burned...
And safe for aye...
I just feel love...**

Hiding under the cover of a collapsed wall he ripped at the materiel around his pants and then as quickly as he could wrapped it tight around his throbbing ankle. Baby blue eyes wincing as the pain started to grow worse. There was no doubting it, his ankle was broken. He wasn't safe where he was though, so he picked himself up and ran as fast as he could to where he knew most of his comrades where. Reaching the safety point he caught his breath and gritted back his want to scream in pain.

And one by one
We will sing victories
We will dance defeat
We will battle for the chance

He saw the retreat flag go up and watched as the remaining rebels ran for cover. They were met with little mercy. All gunned down quickly. The mission was complete. He smiled down at her as she worked on Duo's ankle.

"There," Sally whispered, "that should do until a real doctor comes your way. This will at least help ensure you can walk later in life."

He managed a bright smile. "I owe you Doc."

She tried not to laugh too loud. Glancing back she caught Wufei's approving glance and then something red... tiny in the distance from inside a near by building. One thought racing through her as she realized whom the target was.

From far away...

"Sniper!!" The word left her mouth as she knocked the dark eyed young man out of the line of fire.

I think I hear your voice

The bullet moved through her as she fell. And all around her things began to get blurry. Her eyes shut as she clutched at the wound and rolled over to her back. There was a burst of gunfire and shouts and curses... and then her name. Her name whispered and cried over and over again. Another set of hands pressing desperately into the wound. Her eyes opened as she released the wound with a slight smile.

"Don't do that Wufei," she whispered, "That was a fatal shot...tiny wound... it can't be fixed."

From far away

There was much argument from him. He sputtered words and the others around him tried in vain to reassure. But she knew. It was a tiny wound and it could not be fixed. Even if they rushed her immediately she could not be saved. She would bleed out. And she closed her eyes briefly as she realized this, trying not to smile, such a horrid thing knowing that death was near, and yet terribly amusing all in the same breath. Things were still blurry when she reopened her eyes. She tried to focus on faces but there were only forms. Someone was holding her. Someone was crying over her, whispering her name. A soft voice she knew well.

"Sally..." The word was sobbed. "Sally...Don't go...I need...you."

I think I hear you say my name...

Sally coughed, and then relaxed back into soft arms she knew so well.

"Hey Luca that you," she asked softly, slowly, "Visions a bit...", she waved her arm slightly, "Bit blurry."

"Yeah," the violet eyed pilot replied, swallowed and fought the ache in her throat. "Sally...Don't you die on me...I need you..."

"Shhhh...Luca...you're happy aren't you? Tell me your happy being a wife. Tell me you and he will have. . A million kids..." She paused to take in the new sobs coming from her love, "I love you...you know..." She couldn't keep her tears from taking her over. "I love you and I want you to be happy."

And I know that I am loved

The others standing around her kept their emotions at bay as well as they could, Quatre kept sniffing, and Trowa stood behind him and held him close. Under his breath Duo began to mumble last rites not knowing if Sally would want them or not, but he felt the need to say them nonetheless.

After spending a minute to keep from sobbing out loud Lucrezia Noin whispered in closely to Sally's ear, "I'm happy Sal. I'll be happy. Don't leave me...I love you."

"Is go dte tu mo mhuirnin slan," Sally whispered back. And then briefly felt soft lips on hers. She smiled. "Luca?"

"Yeah."

"I know he's there... I can feel him near."

Violet eyes peered through streams of tears to meet with dark and cold. Her bottom lip began to tremble. She didn't want to have to yell at the boy to take Sally's hand. He needed no swaying. He knelt on the ground and took her hand. Squeezed it tight so she would know he was there. Suddenly Sally Po felt a tear on her hand.

"My poor boy," she whispered.

"I'm not weak," he whispered, almost angry.

"You aren't," she replied. "It's okay Wufei, it's okay soldiers can cry..."

He sniffed, and through gritted teeth choked out, "But you can't die Sally. You...You still have things to teach me."

I'm on my way home

Time passed slowly it seemed. Perhaps it was fading away quicker than they realized. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered. All was silence and tears, sobs and whispers. From behind them there was a short whispered scratching approaching. Trowa and Quatre took up arms quickly and then relaxed upon recognizing Heero and a rather bruised and beaten Une.

"Oh God…" The words left her as she saw Noin and Wufei hovering over Sally's fallen form. Holding her arm to her chest she hobbled closer.

Sally stirred a bit, "Who's that?"

"Une."

Lucrezia Noin and Wufei Chang held Sally close as the small pool of blood around them quietly grew.

"Guess that means we won," Sally asked. Everything was getting a little darker, as if perhaps the sun was setting, but this colony was abandoned. There was no sunset.

"Yeah...I guess," Une whispered, gritting back the tears she wanted to cry.

I'm on my way home

Sally closed her eyes then. Whispered something only Lucrezia heard, and never opened her eyes again.

From far away
I think I hear your voice
From far away
I think I hear you say my name
And I know I am loved
I'm on my way home
I will close my eyes
And I will...
I will be home

Wufei's fist hit the crumbling wall with a thud, as he shouted to the sky. There were not enough tears in the world to mark her death. To him there was not enough pain that sniper could endure to know his vengeance. No one around him said a word. And there were those that cried. And those that fought tears, those that could only look on in silence but felt the break inside. Felt the loss for all that it was.

The year....

The day...

The time...

They do not matter. No one but those who were at the battle would remember. No one but those who saw would feel the loss as great.

Continued…Top of Form

Bottom of Form