Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Vignettes ❯ Niveum Matrimonium ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
_Niveum Matrimonium_
Disclaimer: This is the fifth and final installment on the series. If you still believe I own Gundam Wing, you should do two things. First, send me money 'cause I'm flat broke and am not making money off this and second see a shrink. But only see the shrink after you send me money.
Author's Note: Last in series, from Dorothy's POV, some religious references. Yellow roses can be a sign of either friendship, jealousy or infidelity. Here it can be all three. The quote in the middle is from William Shakespeare. The second is from Lord Tennyson. Une's and Marimeia's outfits are appropriate for the Victorian half-mourning period. Niveum Matrimonium means 'white wedding' in Latin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and women in the sacred ceremony of holy matrimony." If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a funeral, rather than a wedding.

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy Will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven." Oh, it's got all the trappings, bride in a white dress (hardly a virgin, but who would dare accuse the Queen of the World of participating in extra-marital sex), lovely bouquet (yellow roses, how unsubtly ironic), a priest (he doesn't look too happy at being held at gunpoint, not that you can actually see Duo's hand from the front, but you know it's there), elegant music (recorded, we didn't want a lot of photographers in what should have been a world-reknown event), it even has a groom (whom we didn't have to drag out of the bathroom, of course why should the Perfect Soldier Hiiro Yuy worry about his own wedding). Of course most weddings don't have most of the guests in mourning, and usually the best man isn't more oblivious than a corpse to the tense atmosphere. Oh, excuse me, I mean duo corporum, can't forget the bridesmaid too.

"Give us this day, our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses. As we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen." Speaking of Duo he'd best keep paying attention to that priest, otherwise that priest is going to bolt like a bat out of hell as soon as the ceremony is over, and we still need to pay him. Even if the priest doesn't bolt, the glare that Duo's giving Trowa would freeze a nuclear explosion; I'm surprised our dear oblivious Barton hasn't frozen to death yet. Of course, Providence protects animals, children and fools, and Trowa certainly isn't the two former. But if he's not careful, dear Mr. Barton and Ms. Bloom are going to realize that something is off, and then all our hard work will be for naught.

"If anyone here knows any just cause that these two should not be lawfully wed, speak now or forever hold your peace." What a sweet line, if we were in a movie, this is where Relena's knight in shining armour comes to declare his love for her and sweep her off into the sunset. Except, her knight in shining armour (Gundanium magnum purum) has already declared his love for her and is standing by her side at the alter. Does it hurt, Quatre, to watch the one you love marry another, knowing that she'd give it all up, if you just asked her to? Does it hurt, Relena, to be willing to throw the world aside if you could just marry your true love? Does it hurt knowing that both of you would give up anything to be with each other, that if the other would just say the word, you could end this farce, but also knowing that you are both too kind, too dedicated to the world to ever say it?

"So they lov'd as love in twain
Had the essence but in one,
Two distinct, divisions none" Iuncta cum bello, sic iuncta cum pace. At least, that is what we must make the world believe. And for such a futile reason. War is an endless waltz, it may pause in beat for a generation or two, but in the end, it will prevail. The very process of evolution that created us was founded on the conflict of survival. Peace is the very antithesis of nature.

"The rings, please." For whom doth the bell toll? 'Tis not a bell, but rather the sound of iron band cast, and it doth ring for many, not one alone.

"Do you, Relena Darlian, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, richer or poorer, for better or for worse, as long as you both shall live?" Do you, Princess Peacecraft, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, for the sake of your love of the world, although your heart sickens with longing for another, for better or for worse, a bond inescapable for as long as you both shall live?

"I do" Of course. How hard is it not to say no? To not run down the aisle and leave this carefully coordinated lie? To be cut off from happiness and by your own words as well? At this one moment, I think you're stronger than I will ever be.

"Do you, Hiiro Yuy, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, richer or poorer, for better or for worse, as long as you both shall live?" Do you, the Perfect Soldier, take this woman to be the sheath for your aggressions, to love her despite her own love for one of your best friends, to protect her from all but the responsibilities that forced her to wed you, for better or for worse, a lie that will continue as long as you both shall live?

"I do" And with two words you make her yours for eternity. Even in this gloomy atmosphere you must feel some delight at having finally achieved your goal. Ninmu kanryou.

"I know not if I know what true love is,
But if I know, then, if I love not him,
I know there is none other I can love" I look around. The funereal mentality is not isolated to the wedding party itself, but extends to all the guests. I look over each familiar face again, and try to place the emotions that I see displayed. Try to understand the history behind the expressions. Easiest, of course, are that of Ms. Bloom and Mr. Barton. Thier smiling (at least in Ms. Bloom's case) faces reveal nothing but joy at the proceedings. Truly a case of ignorance being bliss. The matrimonial couple, they too seem happy. It just would not do for the 'happy' couple to display thier true feelings, they must have the most impeccable masks in place.

Wufei, impassive, on the other hand he was the first to notice that something was wrong and has had the longest to construct his mask. He and Hilde are studies in opposition. She appears to blame Barton, the same way Duo does. No surprise, since Duo is the most likely source for her information. Together, well, this may yet turn into the funeral it resembles. I know that Duo and Wufei were together for a brief time after the war. I wonder if the three of them are reminded of thier own past history, watching this darker version of thier drama play out. Quatre, on the other hand, is not even bothering to hide his tears. I am sure he has the perfect excuse for his oblivious lover. If only the rest of us could be so honest about our feelings.

I next turn to Sally Po, Zechs Merquise and Lucrezia Noin. Really, I must admire thier restraint. The true situation has been an open secret among the Preventers since the wedding preparations were first being made. How Milliard Peacecraft manages to keep from murdering Yuy where he stands and keep such a solenm face; it must take a remarkable amount of strength. The same strength that Relena shows in going through this farce. Noin is quietly crying while Sally comforts her. Noin is such a good confidante to both Quatre and Relena, moreso than even I. Witnessing her friends go through with this must break her heart. And it must be the same for Sally, watching her lover suffer the pain of losing her friends to thier own dedication. On the other side, Sylvia Noventa looks so cold. In a way, she is like Quatre, watching the one she loves get married. Except, Hiiro does not realize that she loves him. I am unsure who is worse off between them. To love and lose without being loved in return, or to love and lose one's love to another while still being loved.

Finally I observe Une and Marimeia. I should give my cousin more credit, she figured it out even as we tried to hide the tension from her. They appear to be in mourning as well. Nothing so crude as open tears, or wearing black. The delicate violets embroidered on Marimeia's dress are quite tastefull, as is her amethyst jewelry. Une looks absolutely gorgeous in her pearls and white gloves. And her hat is quite similar to one worn for say, the Ascot, with it's high arching white ostrich feather.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife." Finally it is over. As we file out, I spare a last glance at the newlyweds. I silently congratulate myself for avoiding their tragedy. Yet, thinking back over the dedication and strength I have seen today, the old adage worries at my mind, 'Tis better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all' and I wonder who truly is the better off of all who are here today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wooh, it's done! I really shouldn't say this, but I actually found this sort of funny. Says something about my mental state I suppose. Anyway, comments, critiques, you know where to put them. Oh, and I have no plans for a sequal at this time, but I might be convinced, given enough reasons . . .
Anyway, it's late, I'm starting to feel the effects of sleep deprivation, and I really should be signing off. Next up is hopefully some fusions with the original story of Beauty and the Beast. NB: The original, not the washed up version produced by Disney.