Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Walkiing in Shadows ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Walking in the Shadows. Pt. 1/?

Authors: Deathangelgw and Nightshadow

Disclaimer: They aren't ours….but we can sure as hell play with them!!!

Warnings: AU, slight OOC, sap, dark, angst, language, mention of torture, incest, rape, fantasy, yaoi, shounen-ai, OCs, lemon/lime later (knowing me….)

Pairings: Varied, but the main is 2+/x5x2, 1xOCx4 (and vice versa), 3xOCx3

Rating: Varied, but this is PG-13

Note: This is an ongoing ficcie between Nightshadow and me (DA)! Hope you like! We have another one in the works….that's just drooooly! Please review!

`thoughts'

*thoughts*

++++++++++++++

Looking ahead, Duo tried not to think of the dogs he could hear not far behind him. He just had to keep going a little longer. The first outpost was just ahead a few hundred yards away.

A shadow stepped out from the woods and stopped in front of the fleeing boy. "Halt! Who dares to cross into our lands?!" A strong voice came from the black haired man that appeared; his almond shaped onyx eyes narrowed in suspicion as he pulled his sword.

Stopping quickly, Duo sent a fleeting glance behind him before answering. "Duo Maxwell. I mean no harm and if we stand here long those who wish harm shall have it, since they are currently hunting me."

Eyes narrowing further, the onyx eyed stranger said curtly, "You lie...you go no further Duo Maxwell." He swung his sword up and around in a swift arc, aiming for Duo's head for a quick death. Ducking to the side of the sword's path, Duo gave a harsh cry, as the tip of his braid was knicked by the sharp blade. Eyes widening in slight shock at the unusual reaction, the man swung again, his sword tip whistling in the air as it sliced towards the one named Duo.

Ducking again, Duo held his braid close to him to prevent a repeat of last time. "Ack! Will you stop trying to kill me long enough to listen for what's coming? You should know the sound of Scarg Hounds! And I would rather not be killed by them!"

A grin crossed the Asian face as the man said, "Better to die a warrior than to hounds." He swung his sword again at the longhaired man.

Backing up, Duo ducked again. "Well, yeah, that's true. But I'd prefer NOT to die at all. Sheesh what is it today? The Kill Duo Holiday? And if so, why did someone send my Father an announcement?"

The guard stopped in mid swing, his blade a mere inch from Duo's face as he stared at the other man. "Your father...he has betrayed you?" he asked, shock clear on his Asian features.

Keeping his eyes on the blade pointed at his face, he answered the other man. "Considering he's back there somewhere on his horse waiting to watch the hounds tear me to shreds, I'd think so. Unless of course this is some knew sport and since he's the Lord and all he has to keep up with such things."

Scowling darkly in shock and disapproval, the man stood back, letting the sword drop to his side. "You come to my land...an enemy land...for what? To bring this terror to our land??" he asked sharply, onyx eyes narrowed with suspicion.

Crossing his arms, Duo stared forthrightly at the other. "No. I came here because I was hoping to be able to travel until I found a settlement willing to accept me. Did I expect to? No. I expect to be dead before the morrow ends, but trying brings no shame."

Eyes narrowed in thought as he gazed at the forthright man, the black haired warrior considered. Finally, after a few minutes, he nodded sharply and turned towards his guard post. "Follow me...you will be granted sanctuary." he said softly and ran swiftly ahead of the boy, not even checking to see if he followed.

Slightly stunned, Duo stood for a moment before following the other. *Maybe I will live to see a few more sunrises...maybe.*

Running swiftly, the warrior went into his outpost. Turning, he waited impatiently for the young man to get to him. "Hurry....unless you really wish to be hound food." he said sharply, crossing his arms across his chest.

Putting on more speed, he ran up to the other youth. "So, what now?"

Stepping past the boy wordlessly, the warrior raised his sword up and touched a hidden stone in the roof. A green shimmer appeared before them, stretching out for miles unseen. "Now...we are safe." he said quietly as he turned to the boy.

"I...I made it?" Duo turned looking to the other man for confirmation. Nodding in confirmation, the warrior sheathed his sword, then looked out as the hounds appeared. They growled and paced angrily outside of the barrier, but came no closer. Turning from the sight of the hounds which would have killed him, Duo stepped forward holding out his hand. "Might I know your name? And if at all possible get something to drink?"

The warrior looked at the hand then clasped it briefly. "My name is Chang Wufei." he said softly, then walked past to where a canteen of water hung on a hook. He took it down and grabbed a cup, handing them both to the longhaired man.

Smiling, gratefully, Duo poured himself a cup and drank it slowly before pouring another then handing the canteen back to Wufei. "Thank you, Wufei." Nodding once as he received the canteen back, Wufei turned back and replaced it where it had been. He went over to the table and pulled out a chair, indicating that Duo should sit, then went over to a chest and pulled out some bread, jerky, and cheese, along with some dried fruit. Relaxing into the chair, Duo released his hold on his braid, as the exhaustion of the past day caught up with him.

Wufei brought the food over, setting it out before his unexpected visitor. "I'm sorry I have nothing else to offer, but this is an outpost so food is for travel and time." he said softly, apologetically.

Smiling, Duo waved off the apology. "Considering I haven't eaten since yesterday morning, this is a feast. Anyway, I've always had a fondness for jerky."

Finding himself smiling back, Wufei nodded once, then went over to the bed. He pulled back the covers as he said, "After you eat, you may sleep here. Then, I will take you to the capitol."

Nodding, Duo began eating. "I thank you once again, for both your honor and your kindness." Nodding as he came back to the table, Wufei sat down and took one of the pieces of bread, nibbling politely as he eyed the young man. Slowing the pace of his eating, Duo turned to Wufei. "Do you have any questions you would like to ask?"

Wufei shook his head sharply. "It can wait until you have your strength and we are back at the capitol." he said, then smiled slightly. "Rest...you are safe now."

A smile crossed his face, coming to rest there permanently. "Thank you. I... can think of nothing else to say." Looking to his empty plate, he waved a hand over it. "And if you will show me where I may clean this up I will do so before I retire."

Smirking slightly, Wufei looked at the plate. "It's clean...don't worry about it." True to his words, the crumbs disappeared, as did any signs of dirt on the plate.

Touching the now clean plate, a grin lit up his face. "Amazing. Magic that is helpful instead of harmful. Twould be nice to learn."

Shrugging slightly, Wufei placed his hand on the plate. It floated up and, as if instructed, went back to its place in the chest. "It is what our people thrive on." Wufei said softly.

"We are taught some, but only those which can be used towards other means. At least, I had some people who knew the others. Some I learned by watching."

Nodding in understanding, Wufei stood. He offered his hand to the other man. "Come...it is time for you to rest." he said with a slight smirk.

Taking his hand, Duo moved to rise from his seat. "I believe I shall."

Wufei helped him to stand, allowing the option for the other man to lean on him as he led him to the welcoming bed. "I will guard your sleep." he said softly, solemnly.

Taking the offered help, Duo walked to the bed. "Thank you, once again. I greatly appreciate all of this.

Nodding once, Wufei helped him get tucked in, pulling the blankets up around him carefully. He took his right hand and pressed it gently to Duo's forehead briefly, a warmth spreading from it. He smiled and stepped back, saying, "Sleep, runaway. You are safe. You need not worry anymore."

Sighing, Duo smiled as he let his eyes slip shut and sleep claim him. Smiling down at the sleeping man, Wufei stepped back and went outside. He watched with narrowed eyes as the hounds ran back into the woods, discouraged. He frowned in thought, his glance trailing over his shoulder at his strange new guest. 'What does it mean...' he wondered. Unaware as he was in the land of dreamless sleep, Duo turned on his side, holding to his braid.

TBC