Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When Worlds Collide ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Worlds Collide

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these characters. I am only doing this for the fun of it and am not making any money off it.Please don’t sue me as I have nothing but my few meager possessions and I don’t think that you will like them.


Chapter 5

Quatre looked everyone in the face. Trowa and Wufei looked shocked and Quatre thought that they had good reason to be. He had fought as hard as he could against learning anything that he viewed as destructive. Quatre knew that he was behaving strangely but he needed to let off some steam. He just hoped that it wasn't the long haired boy that accepted his offer as he wasn't sure he could stop himself from hurting that guy. The two other guys just sorta shrugged.

"I'd take you up on that offer," the long haired one began, "but some how I don't think that I would like the outcome very much. For the safety of all parties, mainly me, I think that I'll just go practice my archery."

"Hnnn......" was all that the dark haired one said.

"Is that a yes or no or what?" a very confused Quatre asked.

"That," the braided boy spoke up, "is a 'yeah I want to spare but with poll arms'."

"How do you know that?" Wufei asked also confused.

"We've been friends for a while now and since he hardly ever speaks, you pick it up fast." the braided boy explained.

The three elves exchanged a look between them. How could you build a strong friendship if you never talked? Sure Trowa and Wufei didn't talk a whole lot, but occasionally they did speak. Especially when they were answering a question.

"Your sister sure has a weird choice in friends, Quatre," Trowa commented in elfish.

"So it would seem," Quatre replied casting the two humans a warier glance.

"Well if it's poll arms he wishes to practice then I would very much enjoy a challenge." Trowa said formally.

"Wufei, would you mind being my sparing partner?" Quatre asked.

"It would be my pleasure." was Wufei's stiff and formal reply.

"Since I'm now waiting for a partner, I'm going to go out to the archery range." Duo said as he turned and walked out the door.

"Wait a second," Quatre called to Duo. Duo paused and turned around. "We do not know your names."

"Oh yeah. I'm Duo Maxwell and this is Heero Yuy." Duo introduced them.

"I'm Quatre Winner. This is Trowa Barton and Wufei Chang." Quatre told them as he gestured to each boy respectively.

"Now that we have the formalities over with," Wufei began, "we can choose our weapons."

"Well I'll see you all later," Duo said as he headed out the door once again.

Heero leaned up against the wall with he armor and shields so that he would be out of the way. He watched as each of the newcomers went to different walls to examine the weapons there. Cathy's brother, Quatre, went to look at the bows first which surprised him. The Chinese looking boy, Wufei, went straight for the swords. Trowa, the tall boy, went straight for the poll arms.

Quatre was very impressed to see elven bows among the collection on either side of the doors. Sure he knew that he and Wufei were going to be sparing with swords but he couldn't help but pick out a bow. As gently as possible he ran his fingers over the wood of each bow. He wasn't sure what the human practice for choosing a weapon was but elves knew that the weapon chose the wielder. He had only gone over a few bows when one seemed to call out to him. Quatre carefully removed the bow from the wall to check it over. The balance was perfect, as he had expected, as was the strength. Satisfied with his bow which was so much like his own at home, Quatre quickly collected a quiver and bow string. Once he had these, Quatre moved over to the wall with the swords and went straight to the elven ones. It was only a matter of seconds before Quatre felt the call from one of the swords. Again it was very much like the one his father had given him. The blade was light, perfectly balanced and all around well crafted. The hilt and sheathe were covered with carvings of small vines. Happy with his weapons, Quatre walked over to the wall that Heero was leaning against to find arm guards.

Trowa was having a harder time than Quatre trying to find his weapons because none of them were elfish. His ideal choice for a poll arm was a glaive but the closest thing they had was a spear. Trowa winced a little at the thought of using such an ungraceful weapon but it would have to work. Trowa gently ran his fingers over the shafts of various spears. He stopped the movement when he got to one made out of cherry wood. Gingerly he picked up the spear. It was balanced and weighted perfectly for him. Trowa turned it in a slow circle testing the flow of the movement, it was perfect but he had expected that. Even though he had the weapon he was going to spar with, Trowa made his way over to the swords. Here he was pleasantly surprised to see elven blades among the collection. Some how he didn't really think that he would be able to handle one of the much larger and heavier human swords. Carefully, he ran his fingers over the various hilts waiting for one to just feel right. The feeling came as his fingers passed over a sword that was a little longer than was usual for elven design. Trowa picked it up and was surprised to find that it fit him perfectly. His sword at home was normal size for an elf of his height and build. If it was not for the call of this weapon he would have just passed it by. Trowa drew the blade from the scabbard to try a few passes. The heft of the blade was just right for him, but he would expect nothing less from a weapon that called him. Trowa replaced his new blade in it's cheery leaf covered scabbard.

Wufei walked straight to the elves swords. No use in looking at those inferior human blades, he thought, there is no way I would use one of them. With his mind made up, Wufei walked along the selection of elven swords and was shocked not to feel one of them called out for him. Believing he had just not felt it, Wufei walked back the way he had come, running his fingers over the hilts. He once again felt noting from the various hilts. This can't be, Wufei's mind screamed. I can't be destined to wield a human blade. They're heavy and clumsy and awkward. So would an elfish blade be in the hand it was not meant for, a small voice said. And Trowa and Quatre would know that you were to proud to take a human blade that called to you. With a mental roll of his eyes, Wufei went to some human swords that didn't look like they were too heavy. Instantly he felt a blade call to him. It was encased in a black scabbard that had traces of gold etched in it. When drawn, the blade was an inch wide and finely made. After a couple passes he knew that the smith who forged the sword was very good at what he did.

Looking around the room he saw that both Quatre and Trowa had fine elven swords. Even though he wanted peace with the humans and knew that he had an excellent weapon he felt cheated. Why wouldn't an elfish blade choose him?

Heero noticed the distressed look on the one called Wufei's face and couldn't really understand why. The katana he held was excellently made from what he could see. It almost looked better than the one that Sally wielded. Though he was almost certain that the two katanas were made by the same hand.

"You have chosen your weapon then Wufei?" Quatre asked going over to his friend as Duo walked back into the armory.

"I have," Wufei stated, "though I am puzzled as to why a human weapon chose me over an elfish."

"Whoa, hold on a minute." Duo cried holding his hands up for a time out. "First of all what do you mean by 'elfish'?"

"Well, that's the term for anything really related to elves. That or elven." Quatre told him as if he should already know that.

"Elves?" Duo said skeptically glancing to see Heero straighten up a bit. "You mean like Santa's little helpers? You got to be kidding."

"Who's this 'Santa'?" Quatre wondered.

"Maybe we should just let Cathy explain it all," suggested Trowa.

"Maybe." Duo agreed still confused but looked closer at these strangers. They looked normal enough. Granted they were all fairly tall and graceful and their ears were slightly pointed. With a mental shake of his head Duo continued. "Second of all don't knock the sword. That's a really nice katana. I'm sure that Sally's gonna flip when she finds out that she let that beauty slip through her fingers."

"A woman uses a sword?" Wufei blurted out.

"Hell yeah she does and she's damn good too. She's one of the best in our group. Heero's the best, Sally and Cathy tie for second, then me and Dorothy are fairly evenly matched." Duo told them.

The three elves looked back and forth between themselves. Was this human a nut case? To divulge the fact that his female friends knew war arts? Or that they were as strong as if not stronger than he was?

"You really have to talk to your sister about her choice of friends. If we were any other elves we would have to punish these two for teaching those females war arts." Trowa told Quatre in elfish.

"I agree that they are very careless with their lives and those of their friends." Quatre agreed. "Careless with the life of my sister."

"Not as careless as you think, brother," a female voice spoke up.

The elves and humans in the room turned toward the door to see the girls standing there. Cathy stood in the front, her arm in a sling with the human females on her left and elven on her right.

"What's that supposed to mean, sister?" Quatre asked in the same tone she had used.

"Among other things it means that I have a lot to explain." Cathy replied evenly. "Though I think that we should find somewhere more comfortable to talk cause this is going to take a while. Sally said that the building she was in was like a mess and commons hall. I suggest that we all retire there when you guys are done selecting your weapons."

"We're done." Trowa said.

"Then follow us." Cathy said as she and the girls walked out of the armory.

Without saying anything all the males followed the females over to the building in question. Each absorbed in their own thoughts. The main thought that was common among the elves was of how much Cathy had changed. When she had left them as an elfling she was fairly meek and had a mild temper. She had adored her brother and would never have dreamed of defying him. Now she was a she-elf with many fronts. So far they had seen meek, protective, brave, and bold. Some were looking forward to seeing what else about her had changed and others wanted the old Cathy back. The humans, on the other hand, were used to the character changes that Cathy always underwent. They were looking forward to finding out what was going on more than anything.

The walk to the said building was over before it really started. As the group filed in they saw a fair sized common area. There were couches and chairs scattered about in front of a hearth in a semi-circle. Beyond the common area was a large kitchen that looked like it half belonged in modern times half in mid-evil. Though the rest of the group viewed it uneasily, Cathy was quite happy with it. Between the kitchen and commons was a huge oak table that would easily seat up to twenty people.

Cathy walked over and sat down in a chair that was directly opposite from the cold hearth. With this seat everyone would be able to see her while she was talking. As she waited for everyone to get settled, Cathy began to get nervous, though she didn't know why. These people were her friends and family. Neither group knew as much as they thought about her. She just hoped that it was the right time for her to tell everyone everything. Well, she thought gathering her courage, I'll know soon enough.

"I guess that the first thing to do is to make all the introductions." Cathy began once they had all found seats. "I realize that you have probably introduced yourselves already but still.

"Guys," Cathy said looking at her human friends, "this is my brother Quatre Winner and my friends Trowa Barton, Relena Peacecraft, Wufei Chang, and Hilde Scherbecker. My friends, brother," Cathy said formally turning to the elves, "might I make know to you my friends Duo Maxwell, Sally Po, Heero Yuy, and Dorothy Catalonia."

After the groups had exchanged pleasantries Duo spoke up, "What was with the change in speech, Cathy?"

"It will all come out when I tell the story. Let's get the first shocking bit out of the way." Cathy started. "There is such a thing as elves. And not the kind portrayed as Santa's helpers either. My friends here are elves and I myself am half elven."

To Be Continued. . . . . . . . .