Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When Worlds Collide ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When Worlds Collide

Chapter 6

"Come on Cathy, now is no time to be joking around," Duo told her laughing.

"Yeah Cathy," Sally agreed while laughing as well, "I thought that you had something serious to tell us."

Dorothy and Heero sat silently watching Cathy as well as the so called elves. The 'elves' were shifting nervously as if they wanted to get out of there. Either that or they want to kill us, or at least the one introduced as Chang Wufei did. Cathy on the other had always been easy to read. She was sitting patiently waiting for Duo and Sally to see that she was serious. There was also a fire smoldering deep in her eyes.

"Guys, I think that she is serious," Dorothy told her friends who stopped and took a good look at Cathy. They obviously got it though their heads that Cathy meant business as they gulped and looked a little sheepish.

"Thank you, Dorothy." Cathy told her with a slight incline of her head. "Now I think that perhaps I should start at the beginning."

Cathy paused a minute gathering her courage cause she knew that this was going to be difficult to tell. Taking a breath she began. "One hundred and twenty-five years ago a man from Earth was sucked trough a portal into a parallel universe. This world was called Ankara. Ankara was populated mainly by elves and man. The human from Earth unfortunately landed on an estate that was owned by a great elven family."

"Why is that so unfortunate?" Duo piped up.

"If you would be a little more patient, my friend, you would find out." Cathy smiled at him. When Duo muttered a quiet 'oh', she continued. "You see the elves and humans had been at war for a good ten years. Upon seeing a man on his land the lord had him seized and locked in the dungeon. He stayed there for two weeks without being told anything. When the lord finally came down to see his prisoner, he brought with him several other lords as well as the King.

"When asked where he came from and who he worked for, he answered truthfully. The man told the elves that he was from New Orleans and he was a lawyer at some firm. The elves however were convinced that he was lying. So to get him to tell the truth they tortured him. They tortured him for nearly four years. By the end of the fourth year the elves finally believed that he was telling the truth, but they didn't trust him.

"Now before the war, elves would never have done anything so barbaric. Many fought against such things. After hearing this part of the story I'm sure that you don't believe that. No one is fully sure how this war came about. Some say that the humans were capturing and torturing elf-maidens. Others that the king went mad and attacked the humans. Which is a rare, extremely rare occurrence, but not unheard of.

"After his release from the dungeon, the man was forced to become a slave in the manor in which the family summered. The lady of the house was a mild tempered, just and beautiful she-elf. She did not agree with what her husband and the other lords had done to the man, so she took pity on him or as much as she could without arousing her husbands' suspicions.

"The she-elf took the man as her personal man servant. On she was mean and spiteful whenever her husband or other elves were around save one. That one elf was her twenty-nine year old son who was just and true. She really didn't want him to turn into the monster that his father had become.

"The man had trouble deciding whether or not the she-elf was trust worthy as at times she was decent and mean the next. However, within the first month of service he had finally learned to trust her and her son. He was picking up more and more of the elven language.

"After being a slave for two and a half months the she-elf surprised the man. They were in her solar unattended when she walked over to him and put her arms around his neck. You can imagine how shocked he was as he had been told that his he ever touched a she-elf he would die. Unsure of her intentions, the man tried to disentangle himself from her embrace lest someone walk in on them.

"This act didn't go over to well with the she-elf, who then forcefully pulled the man's face down for a kiss. At first the man fought her hold but soon sub combed to her. After a couple minutes they were forced to come up for air. During this time the she-elf told him not to mention what had happened between them. The man agreed thinking that this would be the end of it. How wrong he was.

"Over the next month and a half anytime the two of them were alone for any length of time the she-elf would start making out with him. One night when the lord of the manor was away at a council, the lady called her slave to her bed chambers. He was more than a little uneasy about obeying this particular order as it was bound to get him in trouble. Mind you if he didn't go he would be up shit creek without a paddle as well."

"Quick question," Hilde began, "what's 'shit creek'?"

"'Shit creek' is an expression I picked up on Earth. It basically means the person is going to be in a lot of trouble." Cathy explained.

"Crude, but effective." Hilde concluded after a few minutes of mulling over the idea for a minute.

"Anyway, the man decided that is would be a better idea to obey his mistress then disobey. So at the appointed time, he climbed the servants’ stair to the lady's bed chambers. When he arrived, the room was lit by many candles and the soft glow from the hearth. What surprised him more was the fact that his mistress was lying in the middle of her great bed naked. At first he resisted her advances but he was male and it is said that no male could resist her.

"The next day when the lord got home he found his wife and her slave in the garden surrounded by her maids. He could tell that something had changed but he couldn't tell what it was. Before he could question about the change, the man began to disappear. No one really knows where he went. The lady believed that he had gone back to his own world though no one can prove it." Cathy finished looking down at her hands.

"That was a really nice story, Cathy, but I don't really see how that ties in with anything." Duo said after a minute of silence.

"You're such an idiot sometimes, you know that Duo?" Cathy smiled at her friend. "It has a lot to do with it because the man and she-elf in the story were my parents. The only elves that know the story are in this room as my mother passed away shortly before I went to the human world. Though none knew the whole story."

"If the couple in the story are your parents then that would make you....." Dorothy trailed off not really believing it.

"Yes that would make me one hundred and twenty." Cathy finished for her. "Don't look so shocked guys, elves are immortal. My friends are all one hundred and fifty which is kind of rare to find so many born in one year."

"When did mother tell you the whole story, Cathy?" Quatre asked.

"She told me part of it when I was twenty-five along with you. But just before she died she called me to her room and made me read her account of their whole relationship. She wanted to be sure that I knew I had a good, kind sire." Cathy paused a minute. "I also think that she wanted me to know him incase I was ever able to find him, know him and not resent him."

"Mother was the only one to know why she did what she did. She had her reasons, of that I am sure." Quatre said gently. "The question is: how did we get here?"

"My guess is that some how Longou's spell back fired on him," Relena began. "Though I'm not entirely sure why it back fired the way that it did."

"What was the spell cast for?" Dorothy asked.

Relena winced not liking the answer that she would have to give this human. "The truth of the matter is that the war is still going on. Many elven nobles believe that the only way for the war to end if to exterminate the race of man. That's what the spell was supposed to do. Rid our world of the vermin that plague us, or so they believed."

"Don't you people believe in the three fold rule?" Dorothy demanded. "If you want to do that then your people would suffer just as much as the humans would have."

"The magic’s are very different, Dorothy. In your world only a select few are able to use it effectively and there are many rules governing its use." Cathy explained. "In their world however, just about every being is able to tap into the powers of the earth."

"How come you didn't refer to either world as your own?" Hilde asked.

Cathy looked around uneasily. How was she going to explain this? Some might under stand how she was feeling but others wont. Quatre wont, I know that, she thought, but I have to tell them anyways.

"In reality, I belong to both Earth and Ankara, yet I belong to neither. There are no elves on Earth and my heart yearns to be free once again. Free to run and jump and play in a forest that isn't ruined. Yet half-breeds born during this time of war on Ankara are slaughtered when they are born along with the parents. The only reason that I survived is that my mother convinced Lord Winner that I was his child. He believes it still to this day. The only people who know that I'm half-elven are in this room.” Cathy explained.

"That makes sense. Though you should know that your father will always welcome you into his house." Hilde told her gently.

"If he ever finds out that she is the child of my mother and a human slave, he won't." Quatre spoke up. "If he finds out then he will have her hunted down and when she is caught he will torture her."

"I hardly doubt that he would do that." Sally said.

"What kind of man would do that to his child?" Dorothy added.

"Well, I'm not his child and I'm not a pure breed. All he'll see is a contaminated elf." Cathy told them sadly. "I would under go purification by pain and then I would be killed. All because I am part human thus expendable."

"Why don't you go live with the humans then if the elves are just going to kill you?" Duo asked.

"They too will see an impure being that is meant to be killed. They will see the features of a man on an elf, as it some elves were suspicious of me. You have to realize that these people hate each other and they can tell the difference between an elf and a man." Cathy sadly replied. "When the war started the first to be wiped out were those men who had been raised among the elves. Even though they would have given the humans a tactical advantage over the elves. It wasn't uncommon for elves to foster the sons of men before the war."

"Ok," Quatre began after a short pause, "now that we've figured out how we got here...."

"But we didn't really," Dorothy interrupted. "Sure we have a theory but it's not fact, well yeah I guess is pretty much fact."

"Weren't you taught that it is rude to interrupt people when they are talking?" Quatre asked lightly.

"I was but sometimes you just got to for appearance sake." Dorothy replied.

"As I was saying," Quatre continued once he saw that Dorothy would stay quiet. "We know how we got here but we don't know where here is or why we are here."

"If these were men and women from Ankara then I would be forced to speculate that we are a peace envoy." Relena spoke up. "All the elves here are high born; if we could find humans with equal status and influence then we could work together and end this thing without anymore bloodshed. To find similar human counterparts that want the same thing as we do would be good so that we could work from two fronts."

"Ever the diplomat." Trowa muttered softly to himself. "Just look at the monster you created, Quatre."

"Hey!" shouted both Relena and Quatre.

"I can't help it that she is the only one of my friends that I can carry on an intelligent diplomatic conversation with." Quatre protested. "And she had many of her own comprehensions and perceptions about what was going on. All I did was talk about the war; it's not my fault that she converses with me."
"You forget however, my dear Quatre," Relena said sweetly, "I'm an innocent elven maid that doesn't know any better."

"Don't know any better my ass." Hilde said.

"Well I don't," Relena replied.

"I don't get it," Sally put in.

"Elven maids are not supposed to know anything political, any fighting arts or curses. Such things can only be taught to by her father if he so deems it to be. However," Hilde explained, "we are the exception to that as far as I know. The guys have many political discussions with us; they have taught us how to curse and how to fight. Though if anyone found out about this they would be banished at best, executed at worst."

"That's rather extreme consequences don't you think? Why so harsh?" Duo questioned.

"The severity of the punishment depends on the maid’s father. You see, it is against the law to teach a maid such things. The law also basically says that a maid has no mind of her own and is therefore not accountable for her actions. We could basically murder someone in cold blood and get away with it." Relena added.

"It's been that way since the new king ascended to the throne. Many of our elven women could handle weapons before the law was passed even hold political office, but no longer. The king believes, and convinced many he was right, that women are merely decoration. We are meant to look nice, not talk and warm our husband's bed. As nobles we are not even supposed to look after our own children. We are to tell them good night and that is the extent of it until they reach fifteen years of age. The male then begin weapons training while females are molded to be 'perfect' wives." Hilde told them bitterly.

"Hell we're lucky, most maids are not allowed male friends. All of our parents are very close so we grew up together. That being the case the guys are more like brothers to us than anything else. For that reason alone are we allowed to visit with them un chaperoned." Relena told them.

"And many of our female friends wonder at the freedoms that we are granted. That and they are jealous because we get to be with three of the most eligible young men in our circle of society." Hilde concluded.

"Harsh," Sally commented.

"Glad that we don't have to put up with stuff like that, it would drive me crazy." Dorothy added.

"Though all of this is interesting we haven't answered anything." Heero cut in.

"I think that your wrong there, Heero. I think that Relena had it right." Cathy commented.

"How so?" asked a confused Relena.

"When I left for Earth, I ended up in another parallel world with a strange entity that taught me about Earth. When he thought that I was ready, I was placed with a family that thought that I was their child and I also thought that they were my parents. However I also had my memories from Ankara." Cathy explained. "What if this is that same world? It could be that we were brought here so that my friends might train to be human nobles that would join our fight."

"That is totally absurd Cathy." Dup exclaimed.

"That is exactly what had happened." a new voice chimed in.


To Be Continued.. . . . . . . . .