Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishes and Dreams ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Wishes and Dreams

Part 1

By Shiva

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3+4, 5+M. 6+9 and 13+11 later.

Warnings: AU, fluff, sap, mild angst, possible lemon, yaoi, shounen-ai, OOC, much Relena bashing.

Archive: Anyone who wants to host my fic, please mail me. ^_^

Feedback: ice_blue_shiva@yahoo.com

Notes: FINALLY I have gotten off my lazy derrière and started writing one of my 20+ GW fic ideas. There is no romance in this part, but patience is a virtue, yes? If you didn't take heed before, know that this going to be yaoi, and it will NOT be a Relena-friendly fic. So, if you are offended at someone bastardizing the pink princess, you may want to find another story to read. This fic will be long, I don't quite know how many parts it will have. But feel free to give comments, and DO enjoy. ^_^

=|||=|||=|||=

Duo Maxwell drove to his part-time job after leaving the school grounds, sighing. He hated his life sometimes. It wasn't his job... hell, it was one of the few things that kept him sane. He was part of, in his opinion, the worst family alive. He lived with his aunt, uncle and cousin, who were always making him feel like some low-class street rat. Even though Duo's grades in school were impeccable with A's in every subject, and his cousin Relena was having trouble maintaining her constant B-C average, the blonde was daddy's little girl and could do no wrong in either parents' eyes. They never hit him or anything, thank God, but the emotional abuse was enough. Well, Duo did get smacked a few times, but only whenever he had the guts to insult his uncle's precious baby girl.

God, it made him sick.

Things weren't so bad in the house when Zechs was still around. The guy had truly been a big brother to him and defended him whenever Relena would try to get him in trouble, but now that Zechs was at Harvard it had just gotten worse. Still, he had been grateful that he'd had Zechs to look up to all those years... he didn't know how it would have been in that house if the older boy hadn't been there for him.

Another thing he was thankful for, was that they didn't care what he did in his spare time. He was glad they had a day maid and a cook and a gardener, or else he'd be stuck doing all that work, he was sure of it. Not that Duo minded cooking. He enjoyed it actually, and would even help Mrs. Drake, their cook, from time to time. At least someone in the house was pleasant to him.

Duo found every excuse he could to be out of the house. Even during the summer, he enrolled in summer school, in hopes that maybe if he did enough work, he could graduate a semester or even a year early. In reality, he should have been a grade higher than he actually was. The year his parents died, he had problems coping, and had trouble focusing on schoolwork, so he ended up having to repeat third grade. But now, he was studying and working harder than ever in school, and hopefully it would pay off.

Once he turned sixteen, he'd gotten a job at the town library to make some extra money, mainly because he only got yelled at if he dared ask for more than the cheap ten-dollar per week allowance that he was entitled to. One of the librarians, Mrs. Holmes, had been extremely impressed with his literary knowledge. Duo loved to read and write, and he was the only one in his literature class that had already read every book that had been assigned. One day, the kindly librarian told Duo that a good friend of hers that worked at Barnes and Noble mentioned recently that they were hiring for summer employment. Mrs. Holmes had already put in a good word for him, and if he wanted he could call up her friend and ask about working there. He would be making more money and he'd also get an employee discount if he was hired. Grateful for the opportunity, Duo took the job and became so good at it that the manager asked him to stay permanently, not just for the summer. He'd been working there ever since.

It was also a stroke of luck that he was able to get a car. Hilde, a coworker of his, was selling hers, it was used and it was ten years old but in excellent condition. It was a black Mitsubishi convertible, something he never thought he'd be driving, but it grew on him pretty quickly. It wasn't as new or shiny (or PINK) as his cousin's vehicle, but it was his first car and it was his baby. Plus, having transportation only made him feel more free, able to come and go whichever he wanted, however far he wanted. He was grateful that Hilde had given him such a good deal on it. When he first brought the car home Relena had made fun of him, calling the car "ugly and common" and comparing it to her own beautiful car.

"At least I can get things on my own and don't need Mommy and Daddy handing me everything on a silver platter," Duo had sneered back.

Relena had started throwing a barrage of insults back at him for that, but Duo just rolled his eyes and ignored her to go upstairs and do his homework.

Once he obtained a vehicle, staying away from his hated residence became easier. He didn't have to ride the limo with his cousin to go to and from school anymore, so he would leave the house earlier, to spend some time in the library before school started. After school, he went to basketball practice, and from there went straight to work. On his days off, he would go to the town library for study group and chat with Mrs. Holmes.

Avoiding the house was easy enough, but there was also school to consider. It wasn't that he didn't have friends. His closest friends, Trowa, Quatre, Wufei and Meiran were always there for him, and they were a tight group. It was the fact that Relena and her little group of Relena-wannabes always managed to get on his last nerve. School was the only place he was forced to see her for more than five minutes, and she always found every opportunity to taunt him. It had been especially bad last year, and she had even picked on Quatre about his height, even though he was ten times richer than she was and could probably pay several professional assassins to bump her off. Trowa's cold death glare didn't seem to bother them much either, but ever since they started hanging around Wufei and Meiran, the school's two resident kung fu black belts, they had backed off considerably. The occasional taunts and mocking still came, and almost always still very hurtful, but they weren't as frequent as they had once been. For that, Duo was glad.

Even still, Duo never let them intimidate him. If they insulted him, he would insult them back. If they tried to pull a prank on him, he would pull one back. But that was a bad day. On good days he'd go out of his way to avoid them and at worst he'd see them whispering about him. Like he gave a damn. He hated his cousin and could care less what Relena thought of him. When he turned 18, the trust fund his parents left him would mature. Also, Duo planned to work his ass off to get a scholarship to a college someplace far away... and once graduation hit, he was out of there.

Duo smiled as he thought of the future he had planned out for himself. He had lost his parents at a young age and hadn't been taken in by the most affectionate people, but all in all he'd say he was turning out okay. But, despite the fact that he loved his friends, he couldn't help feeling... incomplete. He wondered if he should go out on dates more, but...

Thinking about dating made him a little nervous. By the time he entered high school, he was pretty sure of what his sexual preference was, and he didn't know what his guardians would do if they found out. Despite the fact he wouldn't mind getting out of there as soon as possible, he had to grin and bear it for at least another year, when he turned 18. He didn't have anywhere else to stay and he didn't know if he could support himself and pay for an apartment with his current job.

Besides, most of the guys at his school were perverts and/or idiots... nobody he'd want to date anyway. But with his busy schedule he doubted he would have time to date, there were far more important things he had to worry about. Work and school. School and work. Those were his priorities.

Definitely no time for dating.

But still, he wondered how different his life would be now, if he did have a special someone, as well as a little more adventure in his life besides work and school.

He could hear the warning voice in his head. _Be careful what you ask for, Duo Maxwell. Because you just might get it._

Hmph. Fat chance.

END OF PART 1.

So, there it is, my first Gundam Wing fic. Good? Bad? Promising? Do let me know!