Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishes and Dreams ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wishes and Dreams

Part 2

By Shiva

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3+4, 5+M.

Warnings: AU, fluff, sap, mild angst, possible lemon, yaoi, shounen-ai, OOC, much Relena bashing.

Archive: Fanfiction.net
http://fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=169617

Anyone who wants to host my fic, please mail me. ^_^

Feedback: ice_blue_shiva@yahoo.com

Notes: Damn it all, I forgot my disclaimer last time! -_-; Anyway, um... it's pretty obvious I don't own Gundam Wing. If I did, Relena would have died in the first episode. No, scratch that... I wouldn't even have created her to begin with. =P

Other notes: Something vitally important I failed to mention in Part 1, is that this still takes place in the GW setting... there are colonies, there is space travel, but there are no wars, no Gundams although Gundanium will be mentioned later. The timeline is AC 197, Duo and Heero are a year older than everyone else. Relena _gag_ is also their age.


=|||=|||=|||=


It was a day that started out like any other. Duo got up, had breakfast, and went to go meet Wufei in the library an hour before school started. They always met there every morning, where Wufei would help him with his math. Sure, he was an A student, but he had his weak points and math was definitely one of them. Being put in an advanced math class was tough on him, but if he wanted to enter school as a senior next year he had to do it. He credited his A's in that class to Wufei, if not for his Chinese friend he would have been utterly lost.

So, that portion of the morning went as it always did. When the bell rang for homeroom, they parted ways and Duo met up with Quatre on his way there.

"Morning, Quatre!" Duo said cheerfully.

"Hey, Duo. Is everyone on for study group tonight?"

"Yup, but we're all going to Wufei's place. Mrs. Holmes told me last week that they're repainting the library or something and nobody can go inside for a couple days."

"Good. Actually, I think I almost like having study group at one of our houses better. We don't have to be so quiet."

"Yes, this is true. We'll see how this goes, but study group is the only time I get to see Mrs. Holmes."

Quatre smiled. "You really like her a lot, don't you?"

"She's done a lot for me. She's like the mom I've been missing all these years. Her, you, the guys, Meiran... you guys are my family, Quatre. More so than my supposed 'blood family'," Duo said, his eyes darkening.

Quatre sighed. "What did you guys fight about this time?"

"What _don't_ we fight about? She can have her friends over, but I can't have mine. She goes on all the shopping sprees she wants, I work a job to get spending money. She can walk into my room anytime she wants and _do_ whatever she wants, but if I even come within two feet of the pink domicile, I'm lectured. This weekend I had to drill a damn hole through my door and put a _second_ lock on it, a _deadbolt_ at that, just to keep Relena out while I'm not there. Lovely, isn't it? I hate to think what would happen if Relena actually decided to stalk someone."

"She snoops around in your room?" Quatre asked. Relena was pretty bad, he knew, but even this was news to him.

"_All_ the time! I don't even know why, it's not like she's the type who would be interested in a _commoner's_ room. She does it to annoy me, but hopefully this time I can keep her out. I complain, but she always denies it and my aunt and uncle never believe me. Considering what bastards they are, I'm surprised they even _let_ me play sports and have friends at all."

Quatre put a reassuring hand on his friend's shoulder. "You won't have to put up with them forever, Duo. Just hang in there until the school year's done with. And hey, at least they're paying your tuition."

"Yeah, I keep telling myself that, but still... I can't wait to get out of there, Q. I... oof!"

The next thing Duo knew, someone had run into him from behind. Already in a somewhat pissy mood, he was ready to whirl around and face the person and adamantly tell them to watch where they were going.

"Oh... I'm sorry."

Whatever smartass comment Duo was about to make somehow didn't make it past his throat. He gulped as he looked into a pair of exotic deep blue eyes, with thick strands of chocolate-brown hair falling into them. He was about the same height as Duo, and he could easily see the outline of broad shoulders and a solid build beneath that school uniform. He had to be a new student, Duo couldn't ever remember anyone _this_ attractive being at his school before. Without a doubt, this was one of the most gorgeous people Duo had ever seen.

"I-It's okay," Duo said as calmly as he could. Hopefully the boy didn't notice him staring. Then he smiled at the handsome stranger. "You're a new face here, aren't you?"

"Uh... yes," he said, and then looked at the braided student and his blonde companion, as if studying them.

"Are you finding your way around okay?" Duo asked him, still smiling.

"I... have to report to World History, Room A-4."

Duo blinked. "With Mrs. Harris?"

The boy nodded. Duo grinned even wider, not believing his good fortune. Perhaps the gods were smiling upon him today after all.

"Well, what a stroke of luck! That's our first class too. We can show you the way. I'm Duo Maxwell. And this is my friend Quatre Raberba Winner."

"Heero Yuy," the boy said simply as he started walking with them, then raised his brow at the blonde. "Winner? As in _the_ Winners?"

Quatre blushed a little, nodding. "You've heard of my family?"

Heero shrugged. "So has everyone from Lagrange."

"You came from the colonies?" Duo asked, surprised.

"My... father moved here because of his job," he told them, then looked at Quatre. "Why aren't you attending school in the colonies?"

"Because... I love the earth. For years I begged my father to let me come to school here, but it was always no. But this time I begged and pleaded until he caved in. It's just so much more... colorful here."

"Hn. It is that."

"I'm... originally from Lagrange 2. I was there until I was eight. Then my parents died and I had to come live with fa... relatives here," Duo told him. He'd come close to referring to the people he lived with as 'family.' He didn't like calling them that, blood relation or not. They were anything but family to him. "Where in Lagrange are you from, Heero?"

"I came from L1. Born and raised."

Duo smiled. Finding that he actually had a lot in common with Heero was making him feel even better. He was a born-and-bred colonist too, although L1 was one of the wealthier colonies in the Lagrange Point. Heero had that air about him that radiated sophistication and pride that privileged people usually had, but he wasn't at all snobbish like Relena and his Aunt Lisa. Still, they shared a common ground. He and the others just had to adopt Heero into the family, and Duo vowed to become good friends with him, maybe even... something more. Hell, his luck was turning out pretty good so far, no harm in hoping for the best. But even if Heero didn't lean that way, having him as a friend was enough for Duo.

They got to the classroom and took their seats, and Heero handed the teacher, Mrs. Harris, his schedule. She added him to the roster, and told him to sit wherever he wanted. Duo motioned to the empty seat next to him, smiling when Heero occupied it without hesitation.

"Mr. Maxwell, do you know Mr. Yuy from somewhere?" Mrs. Harris asked suddenly.

"I just helped him find his way to class this morning, ma'am," Duo explained.

"If my memory serves me right, you have Mrs. Darrow for lit next period, correct?"

"Yes, ma'am, I do."

She smiled. "Good, then you can show him the way there as well. He _is_ new and it's across the campus, he may need help finding it."

"No problem, Mrs. Harris!" he said with a smile. He had a feeling this was going to be a _really_ good day.


=|||=|||=|||=


For Duo history went by in a daze. As promised, he guided Heero to literature class, and they parted ways with Quatre, who had biology with Trowa next. On the way to second period, Duo asked to see Heero's schedule and was surprised and delighted that Heero had many of the same advanced classes as him. The only class they didn't share was fifth period, when Heero had French and Duo had art. Even their gym class was the same.

"You have the same lunch period as me and my friends, after fourth period. You wanna sit with us?" Duo asked him.

"Sure, I guess," Heero said with a shrug. "It's not like I know anybody else."

"You've already met Quatre. You'll like Meiran and the other guys."


=|||=|||=|||=


A group of girls walked across the quad during passing period, chattering about the latest gossip, fashions and hairstyles when one of them abruptly changed the subject.

"Hey, Miss Relena... who's that cute guy talking to your cousin?"

That got the blonde girl's attention pretty quickly. Sure enough, when she noticed her cousin, she also noticed the handsome boy walking along side him, and gasped.

He was perfect. Beautiful blue eyes, rich brown hair, and a body to die for. And the way he carried himself, just screamed, "rich boy." Who was he? Probably a new student. But why in the world would her cousin be hanging around someone like that?

Relena smirked as an idea formed in her head. It was obvious this boy was WAY above Duo's class. She would just have to make sure that she introduced this boy to the _right_ people, and if she could manage to get this hunk of a rich boy on her arm, she would be the talk of the school.

By the time lunch rolled around, her mission became clear.


=|||=|||=|||=


The morning passed fairly quickly. Duo introduced Heero to Meiran (or as Duo called her, "The Kick-Ass, Kung Fu Femme Fatale of North Crest High") in fourth period biology class, and the three of them ended up working on a lab together. After that they showed Heero to the cafeteria, they got their lunch and went to where everyone else was waiting for them.

Two boys Heero hadn't seen before, a Chinese boy and a tall boy with green eyes, sat at the table with Quatre. As they approached, Meiran sat down next to the Chinese boy and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. How sweet, Heero thought.

"Hey, guys. This is Heero Yuy, today is his first day here. He just moved to Earth from Lagrange 1 in the colonies," Duo announced, then turned to Heero. "You've met Quatre. The tall one is Trowa, the guy you just saw playing tongue-tag with Meiran is Wufei."

"It was a peck!" Meiran said, and Wufei rolled his eyes.

"Don't mind them," Duo said to Heero with a chuckle. "You'll get used to all their lovey-dovey stuff."

Wufei and Trowa shook hands with Heero, and they all sat, ready to eat, when Meiran's eyes narrowed.

"Shit, don't look now, Duo, but Relena's coming this way," she said hotly.

Duo's head snapped up, and sure enough, his bitch of a cousin was sauntering over to their table. When she stood before them, Heero was surprised as the seemingly people-friendly Duo Maxwell shot a most annoyed glare at the blonde girl.

"What do you want, you pink nuisance?" Duo all but spat at her.

"Hmph," Relena said, looking at Heero. "You'd think after spending so many years with my family that he'd have better manners."

"Obviously it didn't rub off on you either, COUSIN. What do you want?" Duo repeated.

"Why, I only came to meet the new student, Duo." Relena smiled sweetly at Heero, batting her eyelashes slightly. Somehow Heero restrained himself from rolling his eyes, Duo however had no such control. She held out her hand towards Heero. "I'm Relena Peacecraft. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Heero Yuy," he said simply as he shook her hand as briefly as he could without being too rude.

"Heero." Relena let his name roll off her tongue. "I'm told that you're showing Heero around, Duo."

"What of it?" her cousin snapped.

"Oh, come now, Duo. I can tell by looking at him, he is obviously someone who has had a fine upbringing. His posture and his bearing give it away. He's obviously someone out of your league. I think that _I_ would be a more appropriate companion for him, seeing as how little manners you have and all."

Heero tried not to glare at the girl. Was she joking, or did she really have this much nerve? Duo, however, didn't seem to be taking it as a joke.

"Don't you dare talk to me about manners, Relena. Why don't you just get lost and go powder your nose or something?" Duo said, raising his voice. People started looking at them, watching to see which of the two cousins would win the contest of verbal insults this time.

Relena ignored them all, and looked back at Heero. "Heero, I know a lovely coffee house not far from school," she said, giving him her warmest smile. "Perhaps after school we can go there and talk? Get to know one another?"

Duo nearly threw up all over his lunch tray.

Heero just looked at her. When he didn't answer, she persisted.

"My cousin can be such a bore, you know? And he talks too much. So, what do you say about this afternoon? I can introduce you to some other people, if you like. It'll be fun."

Heero blinked. This girl certainly was pushy. But he remained as polite as possible.

"No, thank you."

Everyone around them seemed to go deathly silent. Relena's eyes blinked in confusion, her jaw agape slightly. Duo was a little stunned himself, usually all the guys Relena asked out said yes. He sat there with a smirk, thoroughly enjoying the look on her face. Still, that didn't stop her.

"Is... today not a good day? Oh, maybe you don't like coffee? Well, that's fine, we can always go..."

"Thank you," Heero said, a little louder, "But NO thank you. I'm not interested."

Relena's eyes widened. Then she glared at Duo. "Heero, whatever my cousin has told you about me, I ask you not to believe it until you have gotten to know me yourself."

Duo flashed her an innocent look. "_Moi_? I've told him nothing, cousin dearest. I'm afraid that this time you didn't need me to make you look stupid. You're doing a perfectly fine job of that on your own."

"Shut up, Duo!" she nearly snarled, then looked back at the new student. "Heero, whatever he's told you, I'm sure it's lies. Duo is nothing but a li..."

"I do NOT lie!" Duo growled.

"_Miss Peacecraft_," Heero said sternly, looking irritated now. "Duo has said nothing about you to me. Don't blame him. I have already told you no, twice. I would think that someone of your _fine upbringing_ would have the _manners_ to respect that."

The group of students watching them started whispering. Relena had a look of pure shock on her face, and that smirk of Duo's that Relena hated never left his face. Trowa, Quatre, Meiran and Wufei watched in amusement, doing their best to suppress their laughter. Finally it hammered home to Relena what had just happened here.

_He... rejected me!? But... no one's ever rejected me! I have never been so... how DARE he! Duo, this is all your fault... I'll get even with you for this!_

She looked at him coldly. "Fine. Have it your way. But," she added, giving him a sultry smile, "I always get what I want, Heero."

He glared, and couldn't help what he said next. This girl seriously needed to be put in her place.

"I'm not a prize for you, or anyone else to flaunt, _Miss_ Peacecraft. And while you are used to getting everything you want, _I_ always get _rid_ of what I _don't_ want," he said with as straight a face as he could manage.

She stiffened, not believing that he was insulting her yet again. She glared at Duo again before storming out of the cafeteria, her little troupe behind her.

_Damn you, Duo. You're going to pay for this._


=|||=|||=|||=


It wasn't long before the entire school was buzzing about the new boy that had the gall to brush off and even insult little miss Relena Peacecraft. Duo had a satisfied smirk plastered on his face for the rest of the day, practically eating up everything with a spoon. It was rare that his cousin was ever seen in such a humiliating light, and he intended to enjoy it while it lasted. And this was bound to last for a while.

Still, he knew that Relena probably blamed _him_ for what had happened, and was no doubt trying to think up a way to get revenge for her wounded pride. But what was important, was that _he_ would get to be Heero's friend, and right now, Heero didn't think too highly of _her._ Duo was ready for anything Relena dished out.

When the last bell rang, everyone rushed to get off the school grounds, and Heero and Duo walked to the student parking lot together.

"Hey, Heero. Every other night we usually have study group at the library, but tonight we're having it at Fei's house. Wanna come?"

"I... have to go meet my father. I could probably make it next time, though."

Duo was disappointed, but understood. "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow, Heero!" Duo waved goodbye to his new friend as he headed for his convertible, who waved back before heading in the direction of his own car.

Duo blasted the radio and drove to Wufei's place, smiling happily the entire way.

It had definitely been a great day.


=|||=|||=|||=


"Did you see him?"

A nod.

"And?"

The boy shrugged. "We have a lot of the same classes. He was friendly, talked and smiled a lot." _And so beautiful when he smiles._ He added mentally.

The older man chuckled. "He looks _and_ acts like his mother, then. And what did you talk about?"

"Nothing much. Just school, life in the colonies, whatever would come up. He showed me around school, I met his friends, had lunch with them. He invited me to join their study group."

"Good, good. I'm glad. What have you been able to find on him at the school?"

"He's an exceptional student. Straight A's, mostly all advanced placement classes, plays basketball. Seems like he's well-adjusted."

"I see. Maybe I was wrong then. Perhaps the Peacecrafts are treating him okay."

The brown haired boy arched an eyebrow. "You thought they wouldn't be?"

"His aunt always was jealous of her sister. I'm just wondering if she may resent the poor boy."

"If she's anything like her daughter, then I wouldn't doubt it."

"Oh? What happened?"

"She asked me to go out for coffee with her. I told her, 'No, thank you.' She asked if I wanted to go somewhere else. I said no. Apparently she's not used to the 'N' word. She nearly threw a tantrum."

Odin groaned. "She's her mother's daughter, all right. Why didn't you just tell her you don't like girls?" he added with a smirk.

Heero rolled his eyes. "Yes, THAT would have gone over well. Besides, it would have just made her think I wouldn't date her _because_ I don't like girls, not because I found her obnoxious and pushy. Duo doesn't like her much either. Apparently they've never been able to get along. Duo works just so he won't have to be in the house."

"I see. Well, you said he has friends, and he's happy regardless, right? I suppose that's what's important."

"And his family has no idea about the... inheritance?"

"They know, they just think it's more of a trust fund for him to go to college or whatnot. If they did know the truth, they'd certainly be trying to do something about it. Lisa always was the greedy type, she married rich for a reason, after all. She was under the impression that Helen married someone a lot less well-off than her own catch of a husband, and I think Helen wanted it that way."

"I suppose that's understandable. But tell me why you're doing this again, _Dad_?"

Odin laughed. "For as long as we've been together, kid, you may as well think of me that way. And I'm... _we're_ doing this because I have a promise to honor. I always keep my word."

"Hn. I guess you do."

=|||=|||=|||=

Heero fell into bed that night, exhausted but unable to sleep. It had been a long day, but a rather enlightening one to say the least.

Duo Maxwell. Heero had seen pictures of him, and thought he had been attractive... but in person, the boy was simply breathtaking. Long golden-brown hair that shone with bronze highlights in the sun, beautiful amethyst-colored eyes that radiated laughter and love. Heero knew he would have no problems fulfilling his guardian's wishes... he enjoyed being around the longhaired boy.

He sighed. He knew that he didn't like girls for a while now, and Odin knew it too. His more than unpleasant encounter with Relena only strengthened that. Of course, not all girls were bad, he actually found himself being rather fond of Meiran. But girls and/or women just didn't do anything for him sexually.

He also knew he was attracted to Duo, and very much so. But if he were to go beyond friendship with him... it might not turn out too good in the long run. He wondered how long Odin planned to wait and meet with Duo, and tell him...

Would Duo be angry with him, once he learned about his true purpose? Today he learned that Duo valued honesty, that he hated lying and being lied to. Heero had wanted to meet the beautiful boy from the first time he saw his picture... but after spending a day getting to know Duo, he didn't just want to be friends with him because of what Odin was doing. Heero didn't have many friends growing up, his upbringing hadn't made it possible. After getting a taste of what friendship, real friendship, could be like, he craved more. Especially if Duo was included in that list of friends.

But if Duo ended up hating him... he didn't know if he could forgive himself.


END PART 2.

Wow, this chapter came out a LOT longer than I expected it to be! I've been having trouble getting in touch with my beta reader lately, but I went over this with a fine-tooth comb and I'm pretty sure I caught everything. Plus, I wanted to get this out before I leave town for the weekend. Hope you all liked it, give me comments PLEASE!