Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishful Thinking Book Three: Replaying the Unsaid ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing is not mine. No copyright infringement intended. I am not making money out of this. Original part of the fiction is the property and is copyrighted to the author.
Category: AU, shounen ai
Rating: PG
Pairings: 1+2+1, eventual 1x2x1, 5xM, hinted 13+6+13, 9+11+9
WARNINGS: sap, some angst
Completed: Apr 27, 2003
Dedication: This is for Emmy-chan. Lots of thanks to Menz-chan for being such a great beta-reader.
Author's Notes: There's lots of talking as some questions are answered.

Title: Wishful Thinking Book Three: Replaying the Unsaid (Chapter Five)
Author: AJ Maxwell ( webmaster@weluvduo.zzn.com )

Heero Yuy got up early that day, his mind more alert than before since he defined his new mission. Duo will be leaving tomorrow. There is no time to waste. Either tell him or die trying. This has got to end. If he doesn't want me anymore, then I'll just go on with my life. It's been too long...I'm done living in fantasies and what ifs.

As he went to the kitchen, he was surprised to see his older sister Une cooking breakfast. "Good morning."

"You're up early. You going to drop by the restaurant?"

He sat himself at one of the stools around the small kitchen table. "Maybe later. I still have something more important to finish."

"Hm? Like what? You gonna look for ex girlfriends?"

Heero's face opted a bored expression. She hasn't changed. Why is it that I'm cursed with such a nosy, sadistic older sister that even when I'm already twenty-five, she's still pestering me? "Why don't you get a boyfriend and settle down?" he asked instead. "It will do you a lot of good if you have someone to bother other than me."

"Oh, but that won't be as fun as torturing my baby brother Hee-chan, now, will that?" Une followed the nickname with a pinch on Heero's nose.

Baby Hee-chan just sighed. I really have to look for my own place.

After breakfast, Heero searched the phone directory for Chang Wufei's number. He was not disappointed. After four rings, the call was answered.

"Hello?"

He blinked at the familiar voice of the woman. "Uh, hello. May I speak with Wufei, please?"

The woman at the other end paused for a while, then said hesitantly, "Heero Yuy?"

"Yes."

There was an excited giggle at the other end of the line, and Heero almost wondered if Wufei was living with a psycho.

"Heero, this is Meiran. How are you?"

He brightened. "Oh, it's you. So that's why your voice sounded familiar. I'm fine, I'm fine."

"That's great to hear. My husband is still in the shower. What is it that you want from him? Maybe I can help you."

"I just called to ask Duo Maxwell's whereabouts."

"FINALLY someone is taking the first move!" Meiran exclaimed at the other end. "Took you long enough!"

After Heero wrote down the information, he thanked Meiran, and promised to talk to Duo.

"Make sure that you do talk, and not just gape at each other, okay?"

Heero chuckled at that. "I'm just as eager as you to have this over with. Thanks again."

"So, where are we headed again?" asked Duo as he re-plaited his hair.

Trowa ran his fingers through his bangs to smooth out some of the tangles, and replied, "We'll just drop by my house for me to change into new clothes, then we set off to Heero's house, so that the two of you can settle things once and for all."

As the two men rode the elevator, Duo was once again gripped by uncertainty, which nearly frustrated Trowa out of his skin.

"Duo..." he complained.

The braided writer sighed, gripping the hardbound book in his hands. "How would you really know if he still loves me? He'd been away for seven years, and yesterday was the only time that you were able to really talk to him." He shook his head. "What if he already has a girlfriend--or boyfriend--who's gonna follow him here so that they can live happily ever after, and he hasn't told you yet because yesterday was...was for greetings and reuniting?"

"You're unbelievable," said Trowa, shaking his head as well. "Do you want proof?"

Duo scrutinized him. "Can you give it?"

"Okay. I'll re-enact to you what we talked about last night after dinner." Trowa cleared his throat first, then said in a nasal, Heeroesque way, "Do you think he already has a girlfriend?" shifted to his natural speech, "Duo? I don't think so." "You think he still--" "Yes, I do." "But you still don't know what I was going to ask." "You were gonna ask if I think that he still feels something for you. I think that he still likes you." "How do you know that?" "Just a hunch." Then he imitates Heero's facial expression, sighing, with a wistful yet dreamy look on his face.

They were already exiting the hotel, and Duo smiled up at Trowa.

Smiling back, he said, "He's really fallen for you, Duo. Believe me."

The reassurance sent delicious tingles up Duo's spine, and he impulsively glomped onto Trowa's arm. "I hope so. I really hope so."

Trowa sighed exasperatedly. "He is."

Heero stood, with his box in his right hand, across the hotel where Duo stayed.

I can do this. If Trowa was here, I know he'd be cheering me on. I can do this.

But as Heero took his first step to cross the street, something at the entrance caught his eyes.

Duo and...Trowa!?

What the heck is going on? his mind raced. And why is it that Trowa's still wearing his clothes from yesterday? Is he keeping something from me?

No, no, no, he quickly denied to himself, even if hot, scalding jealousy was trying to overcome him. Trowa won't do that. He's my best friend. Besides, he's been there for me since... Heero's thoughts trailed as he saw the overjoyed smile that Duo gave Trowa. His best friend smiled back, and said something. What is going on?

Then, Duo glomped onto Trowa's arm.

Heero's faltering grip on his calm snapped, and did the first thing that came to mind.

He ran.

Duo thought he was going to burst. Or faint. Or both. He couldn't understand anything that the older woman was saying; he could only tell that her lips were moving, but more than that, he was lost.

He was so excited to finally be talking to Heero.

All he heard was garbled speech by two speakers. He was so busy thinking of what he would say to Heero, that he failed to respond when Trowa called his name.

"Do you think your friend is okay?" Une asked Trowa anxiously. "He doesn't seem to be breathing anymore."

"Duo." The taller man shook and prodded him. "Duo, we have to go now. Heero isn't here."

The braided man blinked to clear his vision, and focused on his friend. "What?"

Trowa was frowning at him. "Are you all right?"

He nodded, but he was still sort of out of it. "Yeah. Fine."

"Do you need some water?" Une offered, not trusting the longhaired man's expression. "Come in for a while."

The two men stepped inside, with the taller man leading the longhaired man to the sofa.

"What were you saying again, Tro?"

"About what?"

"About Heero. He's here, isn't he?"

The brown-haired woman came back with a glass of water, and gave it to Duo. He drank the water absently, while Trowa thanked his best friend's older sister. "Did he tell you where he was going?"

Une just sighed, and shrugged. "I asked him, and all he said was that he was going to do something important. He also mentioned that he might drop by the restaurant. He didn't say anything else."

Trowa nodded, then glanced at Duo, who appeared deflated. "Is that so? I think we should be going now."

"Okay. I'll just tell him that you came here looking for him if he comes back early."

"That'll be great, Une. If he does come back early, please tell him to meet me at the restaurant."

"Will do."

"So, will you be okay?" asked Trowa. "The restaurant will open in a few hours, and I have to get supplies and take care of everything before lunch time." He was worried that Duo might change his mind, but he had a huge responsibility on his shoulders. His friend seemed so fragile, and his lack of self-confidence, though it frustrated him to the roots of his hair, made him more hesitant in leaving him on his own.

Duo patted him on the back. "I'll be fine, Tro. Don't worry too much about little ol' me. I'll find him eventually, and I'm not going to back out."

"You promise?"

"Promise."

Heero absentmindedly sipped his tea, his fourth cup that morning. It was almost noon, and he had been sitting under the umbrella of the coffee shop for a couple of hours. The world sped by in a blur, and he still couldn't get the vision of his best friend with his only love out of his mind. He still tried to rationalize with himself, denied that his best friend would betray him like that, but seeing Duo smiling like that to someone else...

"Heero? What are you doing here?"

The familiar voice snapped him out of his dark thoughts. He looked up to see Zechs pulling the chair next to him. "Drinking."

Zechs fought to roll his eyes heavenward. "I can see that, Heero. I was just wondering what brought you here, at this time. I don't recall that you frequented coffee shops, and isn't it that you're supposed to be at the restaurant?"

Heero snorted. "And I'm amazed that you're awake at this time."

The older man was about to retort, when his eyes caught sight of something that delighted him. "Oh, what's this?"

It was a paperback that someone forgot. The blond man inspected it, turning a few pages and skimmed through the introduction. "Duo Maxwell? Why does that name sound familiar?"

The dark-haired man bit back a groan.

The other man just looked at him, his brows slightly furrowed. "Ah, I remember him. He was also my student, back when you were sophomores, right? Violet eyes, braid... he was quite spectacular to look at."

"Yeah...he is."

Zechs placed the book back on the chair beside his. "You know, Heero, I don't mean to intrude, but Trowa mentioned something about you and Duo."

The mention of his best friend's name and his love's name in one sentence did not make him feel better. "Really. What did he say?"

Zechs leaned closer to Heero, his long blond hair falling forwards to frame his face. "He said that you've been crazy over Duo since you were in first grade. He also said that the only thing that he wished for you was to be with the one you love."

Heero felt heartened by his friend's words, but there was still some bitterness left in him. "Then what was he doing with Duo all night?"

Pale blue eyes widened. "What? You must be mistaken--"

"I'm not," he interrupted, then sighed. "I saw them leaving the hotel together, and Trowa was still in his clothes from last night."

"That can't be--"

"And they were so sweet together, holding each other and smiling like--like sickening lovebirds or something." Heero's mood darkened.

"But Trowa can't do that," Zechs protested. "Trowa won't do that to you, Heero. Surely you don't think that he'd betray you"

"I know. I'm just trying to will the jealousy away before I look for Duo again. I'm supposed to talk to him, and, well, there," he finished lamely.

Zechs smiled a little. "But you should know that your jealousy is unreasonable. Trowa would never do that to you. As for talking to Duo, I think that the sooner you talk to him, the better."

Heero nodded. "I'll talk to him..."

"You'll look for him right now and talk to him."

"Okay, okay."

The two friends stood from their seats to go on their separate ways. The blond man hugged Heero to comfort him, saying, "Don't feel bad like that. Everything will be just fine."

Duo had looked almost everywhere. His knees were tired, and his stomach grumbled again. He wondered if he would ever find Heero.

He turned a corner, and hope fluttered in his chest when he was sure that he'd never looked around that area yet. I hope I'll see him here.

And, as if the heavens heeded his prayer, he came upon a coffee shop, with its tables under the shade of striped umbrellas. He almost cried out in triumph as he saw Heero's familiar unruly mop of hair.

His smile was blinding. At last he was going to talk to Heero!

He half ran, half walked briskly to reach the coffee shop. He almost buzzed in excitement, and when he realized how ridiculous he must look, he blushed. He should calm himself first before talking to him.

He took in deep breaths, noting that the wind held a scent of rain. He quickly pushed that at the back of his mind, and concentrated on getting his nerves in a semblance of normalcy.

He closed his eyes and counted under his breath. When he felt he was ready, he opened his eyes.

And there, right across him, was Heero wrapped tightly in the arms of Mr. Peacecraft.

Trowa's encouragements were drowned out by the incessant shrieking in his mind. All he saw was his old rival--Heero's boyfriend from high school--and the times when he saw the two of them together.

Heero and Mr. Peacecraft sharing an umbrella after school...

Heero and Mr. Peacecraft going home together in a car...

Mr. Peacecraft, near the school gates, calling Heero with his mobile phone, and Heero would rush to him, and the two would walk home together...

His hardbound book slid from his lax hands, and fell on the pavement with a soft thud. He blinked, willing his eyes away from the heartbreaking sight, and scooped up the book.

A few minutes later, his feet had already taken him someplace else. His face was damp, and he knew that it wasn't just caused by the rain.

"I should be going on my own merry way now," Zechs said as he pulled away from Heero.

"Where are you headed, anyway?" Heero asked.

"Double date, for lunch. After that, who knows. Actually, Une's going to be there, too--"

Heero's eyebrows raised in surprise. "I didn't know that the two of you are dating."

Zechs gasped, horrified. "No no no! You got it all wrong! You know I don't like females that way! And that's Une," he shuddered in repulsion. "Come on. She's my best friend."

Heero almost laughed at the look on his friend's face. "Then who's she dating?"

"Oh, I think you know her from high school. Lucrezia Noin ring a bell?"

Lucrezia Noin...as in Duo's high school crush?! "Really? I didn't know that they knew each other."

The other man straightened his jacket. "You'd been away for seven years. Anyway, I doubt that the ladies will mind, but I don't like to make Treize wait." With that, he patted Heero on the shoulder in farewell, and briskly walked away.

~Standing in the rain,
Cold in the raging storm,
Under the fading glow
Of an incandescent lamp;
The asphalt slick against my boots,
Reflecting the amber light
In the darkness of the hidden sun;
The ominous sky lets loose its tears;
Likewise, I cry,
And die
Inside.

Snug in the comforting warmth
Sharing a black umbrella for one
Clothes rustling, shoulders brushing,
Walking in sync across the busy road,
Chatting casually--
So closely
You pass me by,
Oblivious
To the crashing sound of my heart.

You smile at him--I ache,
Tremendously lonely,
Drowning in my unshed tears;
My soul burns In its saltiness.~

A drop of moisture slid down Duo's damp chestnut bangs, and pelted the page of the book that lay open underneath his gaze. He remembered the poem. It was the one he had written after he had seen Heero and Mr. Peacecraft crossing the street, both beneath a black umbrella, their bodies touching and arms around each other so that they'd fit under the protection from the rain. That was around seven in the evening, when he was busy with the school paper and he had to go home late. While he waited for Solo to pick him up, he had seen them leaving the campus together, and he was so jealous at that time.

He realized that, after what he had seen at the coffee shop, he was still jealous of them, and seven years had already passed.

Why is it that the past is still trying to interfere? I already found Heero, and I was ready to talk to him about...about everything and then I'd see him in that--that longhaired...longhaired...longhaired-much-older-person's arms! He silently fumed. And why is it that I forgot to ask Trowa about them? Maybe I just pushed it at the back of my mind, and then when I saw them...

He sighed heavily, and another drop of rain fell on the vulnerable page. I promised Trowa I'd tell Heero, and I do intend to fulfill that promise. But...it's so hard to go through with it after...that.

He listlessly closed the hardbound book, and sighed again. I'll just sit here for a few minutes, and then I'm going to look for him again.

After his encounter with Zechs, Heero walked quickly, but without a concrete destination. He walked for a couple of blocks, and he decided to go back to the hotel, hoping that Duo would be there already. To his disappointment, the braided man hadn't returned

He walked aimlessly again, letting his feet go wherever they wished. Then, to his surprise, he was already inside his restaurant.

His and Trowa's restaurant.

Prussian blue eyes blinked, a bit disoriented. When he spotted Trowa, there was a full two seconds when he felt that burning jealousy he had felt that morning, but as his best friend quickly made his way to him, everything in his mind clicked.

I should've known to look for him here. Since they were together this morning, Trowa might know where Duo is! Baka! I was so jealous to realize earlier! Duo might even be here!

The tall man caught a glimpse of him as well, and came hurriedly to his side, asking, "Has Duo talked to you already? Where is he? Everything's okay, right?"

Heero just looked at his friend, bewildered. "You mean, he's not with you?"

"Where the hell have you been?"

"I've been looking for Duo--"

"But he's also been looking for you!" was the uncharacteristic exclamation of his usually taciturn best friend.

He blinked, a little nonplussed, but forged ahead with the question that he had been dying to ask Trowa. "Why is it that I saw you with Duo this morning, going out of the hotel, in your clothes from yesterday?"

Trowa's face was slightly pale.

Trowa told me about what happened between him and Duo last night. I understand that Meiran only had the best intentions for the two of them, and I am glad that he did go to Duo. I've always wished that Trowa will be able to move on after Quatre's death; maybe by spending time with his late best friend's best friend, he will begin to heal.

But I sensed that there was still something that he omitted.

Whatever it was, it could wait. I finally have an idea where I might find Duo.

I asked Trowa if Quatre mentioned anything about a place that Duo frequented. I know that it had been a long time, but maybe Duo would still fall back on his old habits.

I hope I find him there.

Heero raced to the park, looking for an oak tree with a concrete bench, very much near a willow tree. The pathways were quite slippery because of the rain, and he constantly slipped on his feet whenever he had to traverse grassy areas. He didn't mind the accumulating mud on his leather shoes; he couldn't wait to find Duo and speak to him.

This has to end. This chasing has to end right now.

Prussian blue eyes spotted a willow tree, and Heero ran to it as fast as his feet could take him. As he reached his destination, he found a form, clad in black, huddled on a concrete bench beneath an oak tree, seemingly asleep.

Just a few minutes more, and then I'm going to the restaurant. Maybe I can go to Heero's house for dinner, or something. He sighed. Just a few minutes more...

"Hn."

Duo's brows furrowed at the noise, and at the feeling that his solitude was broken. He hugged the hardbound book closer to him, and resumed his litany.

Just a few minutes more...so tired...I'll get up...later...

There was that noise again. Someone cleared his throat.

Duo glared. "What's the matter, pal--" he bit out, annoyed that his peace was disturbed. Then, his jaws dropped. He blinked. He gulped.

The man in front of him raised an eyebrow, and smirked.

He grinned sheepishly. "Hey. Uhm...ahem. Uh...have a seat."

Heero indeed sat down beside him.

His body was taut as the silence between them stretched. He was not aware of how long they just sat there, seemingly ignoring each other. He just knew that the quiet should be broken, but he couldn't think of a way to do so.

Aw, what the hell. "Here," he said, thrusting the hardbound book--slightly damp from the previous rain--to Heero's hands. He felt Heero take the book, albeit a bit hesitantly. He didn't dare look at what the other man's reaction could be, so he looked the other way, trying to busy himself with looking at the drowned ants on the ground.

The silence stretched further, and then he heard suppressed laughter. Oh great. So now he's laughing at me? What the hell is this? "Aren't you going to take it?"

He blinked, and nearly snapped his head off from turning to regard the dark-haired man beside him. "Huh...what?"

He found himself presented with an old, battered-looking box. He blinked again. He seemed to blink a lot.

He took the box, and took off the lid.

Heero didn't know what to do. Yes, he had successfully found Duo, and yes, he was going to tell him and give him the box, but...

Damn this shyness anyway! What am I doing, not doing anything?!

His ears rang from the utter lack of noise, and he itched to just thrust the box to Duo's lap and be done with it.

"Here," the longhaired man mumbled, and a hardbound book nearly whacked his nose. He scowled a little, confused at its relevance, and took the book.

The first page greeted him...

~HY,

Your cameo appearances
In dream-spun movies
Prove that my soul
Misses you.

DM~

...and he just found himself feeling warm, giddy, and smiling foolishly. He wanted to laugh out loud, and he knew that tears stung his eyes. The foolish smile widened to a full-blown grin. Laughing silently, he looked at Duo.

He shook his head at the sight, still smiling. He stretched out his arm to give the box to Duo. He waited for him to turn around and take it, but it seemed that the braided one was succeeding in busying himself with other sights. He coughed, trying to get Duo's attention, and said, "Aren't you going to take it?"

Violet eyes scrutinized every piece of paper as he rummaged through cut-outs, photocopied prints, and printed web pages. All of them bore either his name or one of his pseudonyms, and all of them bore a piece of his soul, and his Prussian-eyed love.

He was only made aware that he was sniffling when he heard it, and he chuckled. He wasn't sure if the sound of himself sniffling amused him greatly, or if the hilarity of the eternal goose chase finally caught up with him. Maybe both.

Maybe he was just happy.

Heero waited for Duo's reaction. It took quite a while for his tastes, but quelled his rising anticipation as it was obvious that the other man was a bit dazed at what he was seeing.

He saw a tear slide down Duo's cheek, and he held back his hands, not bending to the desire of wiping it away. Why is he crying? he worried. Is he upset about this? Does he mind that I took some of his works? Is that it?

The sound of Duo's sniffles made him shrink back, but his eyes widened as he heard soft chuckles issuing from the other man's delectable mouth. The sound was happy; it was tinged with something else, but it was definitely happy.

Duo was happy, and he joined in, giving in to his laughter.

Violet eyes looked up quickly, as another sound penetrated the still-cold air.

Duo discovered how beautiful Heero Yuy's laughter was.

It didn't ring with amusement; no, he believed that it would sound very much different than what he was hearing. Mesmerized by the light in those striking Prussian pools, he didn't realize that he had moved closer, until all he saw was Prussian blue.

The sound of laughter had ceased, and there was a soft feeling beneath his lips. Duo smiled against the softness, and closed his eyes. He wanted to savor it, to lose himself in the warmth of those arms that he always dreamed of being in, to drown in that sea of feeling that only Heero could give. His jealousy was momentarily thrown out the window in favor of this, their first kiss. He couldn't stop smiling; he knew it was clumsy, but he just couldn't help himself. He felt like he was going to burst and rain cheery confetti on the whole world. He also couldn't help the tears from falling again. Oh man, I am such a sap. If Solo could see me like this, I'd never hear the end of it.

He wasn't sure how long their lips fluttered on each other's, and when they parted he realized that he was already gasping for breath.

"You'll never guess how long I've wanted to do that," Heero whispered breathlessly.

"Let me guess," he said as he dropped kisses on Heero's face, "grade school?"

Heero smirked. "When in grade school?"

His eyes widened at the discovery. "You...? Since grade school?" he squawked. Could he have possibly liked me during the time that I liked him?

He received a nod. "I really liked you...like this...since fifth grade, but I always wanted to be close to you since first grade."

"You must be kidding," he tried to deny it, thinking that it must not be possible. "First grade? Come on, Heero."

Heero sighed heavily, and played with the end of Duo's braid. "You already forgot."

Duo's face scrunched up in adorable confusion. "What did I forget? What happened? Tell me!"

The dark-haired man suppressed a groan as Duo wiggled in impatience on his lap. He held him closer, tighter, and rested his chin on Duo's shoulder. "You found me..."

"Maxwell is a fool. I hope his problem is solved by the time this day is over," Wufei said, as he set down his teacup.

Meiran nodded. "Seeing Duo gush over Heero Yuy is cute and sweet, but I'm already tired of hearing the same thing. Did you know that he's so into him since I've known him, and I've known him since we were high school freshmen."

"I've known him longer than that. I think he started spouting off love poems at eleven because of Yuy."

Treize raised his eyebrows. "That long?"

The rest gathered for lunch also had the same amazed look on their faces.

"Well, Quatre--" Wufei almost stopped what he was going to say, as he felt the slight unease of the group at the mention of his late friend's name. "He'd known Duo much longer, so I'm not sure."

Noin looked around her, and broke the awkwardness. "But he had a crush on me when he was a freshman. He said so himself..."

"That's true," Wufei readily agreed. "But he's never stopped loving Heero."

"Well, I, for one, know how taken my baby brother is with that man," Une joined in. "I was doing general cleaning around the house when I found this old box in Heero's room. I was going to get rid of it, but when I saw the contents...did you know that he'd been collecting Duo's poems? The oldest date back to when they were in fifth grade."

Zechs chuckled softly. "I didn't know that he's such a softie."

"You wouldn't believe how sappy he is," Trowa joined in, shaking his head, as he came by the table. "And I've been suffering from it since we were in first grade--"

"First grade? How come?"

"It's like this, you see..."

"Oh, Heero, I'm so sorry!" Duo exclaimed, as he buried his face in Heero's neck. "I didn't mean to ignore you at that time! I forgot--I didn't see you! Honest I didn't!"

"Obviously," Heero said. It mattered nothing to him that Duo forgot. They were both just kids at that time, and every kid was always preoccupied with something.

"Forgive me?" Violet eyes pleaded at him irresistibly.

There's really nothing to forgive, but... "That doesn't concern me much anymore, Duo," Heero began, and saw those violet eyes light up. Duo started to inch forward to kiss him once more, but he hastily held up his index finger across Duo's lips, halting the intended kiss. "That was first grade, after all, but there is something that you must apologize for."

Duo suddenly looked as if he was sinking, and the sadistic part of Heero wanted to stretch the moment as long as possible. He wasn't going to let the longhaired man off the hook that easily, after leaving so suddenly and not giving him a chance to have his say in graduation day. "You left me, you know," he began, his voice a little gruff. "You gave me that letter and the next day, you were gone. Was that your plan? You had the luxury of letting out your feelings, but you didn't give me a chance to do the same."

"H-Heero, I--"

And then it wasn't the sadistic part of Heero playing anymore. He truly was hurt when Duo suddenly disappeared, and even if his love was already in his arms, there was still that buried anger and bitterness that he felt for him.

For years he blamed Duo; he also blamed himself for everything, but he didn't know who he blamed more. "We should have been together seven years ago at the latest, you know, not like this, when we're both already twenty-five. You made me wait so long. I asked Trowa if Quatre mentioned anything about it, but he didn't. For two whole months we were in the dark, and I never knew what happened. You just disappeared..."

Duo sagged in his arms, and felt him creep away from him and onto the remaining space of the bench. "Heero, I didn't mean to," he said, his voice low and barely audible. "Everything happened so fast. I couldn't get in touch with Q-man during the first month." His voice hitched. "I... I was busy and stressed and..." Sigh. "It felt like everything around me was spinning without control. I missed you guys, I really did, but I just couldn't tear myself away from my Dad.

"There were times when I wanted to call, to tell Quatre why I was taking so long. I told him that I would only be gone for a week, but--"

Moving closer, and lifting Duo's chin with his index and middle fingers, he asked, "What really happened, Duo?"

Heero had thought of the reason over and over after graduating. What he heard from Duo's mouth was something that crossed his mind, but it surprised him nevertheless. He felt humbled; he shouldn't have felt the need to blame anyone. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're right," Duo assured him, looking up at him with sorrowful eyes. "If only I talked to Quatre sooner, then I would have known about what you tried to do when I left. It wouldn't have had to be seven years, Heero. It wouldn't have had to be a year, even."

Heero just shook his head, determined to set aside the past. Now that he finally had Duo, just the way he'd always wanted, there was no place for regrets in their budding future. "Enough of the what-may-have-beens, Duo. We both did stupid things back then, but what's important right now is that we're here, like this. Together."

It was as if the actuality of their situation pressed itself onto Duo's consciousness only just then. Heero's last word suffused his every pore, which left him tingling at the realization. "Heero," he breathed, eyes alight with varying degrees of warmth, love, and not surprisingly, awe. "We're together. Together."

Heero's smile, warm like the sun, and peaceful like a stretch of undisturbed fields of green, overcame the slight disbelief in Duo's eyes. It was all true, all real. Heero's smile promised him that it's for keeps. "And nothing's going to change that," Heero murmured against Duo's lips.

Duo leaned forward, the promise and acceptance shining in his eyes. "Yes, Heero. Nothing will."

. t h e e n d .