Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishful Thinking Book Two: All Boxed-Up ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing is not mine. No copyright infringement intended. I am not making money out of this. Original part of the fiction is the property and is copyrighted to the author.
Category: AU, shounen ai get together fic
Rating: PG
Pairings: 1+2+1
Warnings: some OOCness, sap, WAFF
Dedication: This is for Emmy-chan

Title: Wishful Thinking, Book Two: All Boxed-Up (Chapter One)
Author: AJ Maxwell ( webmaster@weluvduo.zzn.com )

*flashback*

"Are you alright?" a cheerful voice piped up in front of me.

Oh no. No please not one of them again...

"Hey," the annoying voice continued to prod. "Whatssamatter? Bullies?"

I looked up suddenly, and came eye-to-eye with pretty, purplish pools.

"Hi! I'm Duo," he said, extending his hand to me and smiling at me amiably. "What's yours?"

At that question, I burst into tears again.

The bell rang, signaling us first graders that classes were about to begin. I was so ashamed because I couldn't stop crying, and scared that those other kids would start making fun of my name again. I hate them! Why don't they pick on somebody else? What's so funny about my name, anyway?!

The boy whistled. "I think we're gonna be late. But that's okay! What happened to ya? Stop cryin' already, 'kay?"

It was really surprising. A second later I was confessing to him like he we were best friends. "My classmates were teasing me--"

"About what?" he asked, curiosity making his eyes huge.

Suddenly, I felt very shy. What if this kid also thought it's funny? Then what?

"About what?" he prodded again.

"They said my surname sounded like 'yoyo'!" I blurted out, then cried again. "And they call me Superman and Batman and Sailormoon!" I hate those people! They're really gonna pay once I get bigger...

If it was possible, the boy's eyes started to get wider. Uh-oh. He's going to ask what my surname is! I have to get to class! Quick!

I turned my back to him, preparing to run to my classroom when he stopped me with a hand on my shoulder. His chubby face loomed over me with interest. Oh no. This is not good.

"Let go!" I said, giving him my best glare.

"What's your name, anyway?" he asked.

I glared at him further. It wasn't working, so I decided to answer his question. "Heero Yuy."

I closed my eyes. He's going to laugh, I knew it! Any moment now I'm gonna hear his laughter and he's going to tell it to everybody! Oh no oh no. I have to run!

I opened my eyes. Why wasn't he laughing? He's supposed to laugh, wasn't he? Why wasn't he laughing?

"'Yuy' absolutely doesn't sound like 'yoyo'," he declared resolutely, his wide eyes narrowing to violet slits. "Your classmates are mean. Don't listen to them anymore. They shouldn't tease you like that!"

It was like I just stared at him for a minute, then I heard Trowa, my neighbor and best friend, calling my name.

"Hee~roo~~," he called out, his face never changing. "Hee~roo~~."

I knew Trowa wasn't going to stop calling me if I didn't run to the classroom already. I shouted back, then said to the boy, "I hafto go now."

He smiled at me, then winked. "Hafta go, too. I'll see ya 'round."

"Yeah..."

And as I ran to the classroom, I kept glancing back at him.

What was his name again? Think. Think!

"Duo..." I whispered to myself. "Duo..."

*end flashback*

I've never forgotten that name.

The day after that, I kept looking for him in the corridors, hoping that he would pass by. The first time it happened, I was walking to his classroom's direction (where the comfort room was located), and he was walking to my classroom's direction, which was just beside the drinking fountain. I nearly brushed up to him, and I even looked into his eyes.

He didn't recognize me.

I shouldn't have hoped for something...I don't know. I guess I hoped that he could be my friend that time. I guess I hoped that Trowa and I could be best friends with him, too.

It's been such a long time, and yet I still feel a little regret--just a tinge of it--whenever I remember that incident in my life. And now that I'm graduating--no, we're graduating, I can't help but feel like I've wasted something that could have possibly been very important.

We've been schoolmates for a long time now, and not once did we say hi to each other in the corridors or whenever we were headed to each other's direction. There was one time when we were juniors that he said hi to me out of nowhere, but I was so surprised I wasn't able to say anything. I hoped that he would do that again afterwards, but there was never a repeat. Now that I think about it, it makes me feel sad.

A whim came over me, and before I was even aware of it I already had my top-secret box on my lap. Opening it with shivering fingers, I peered into the box, revealing its contents.

No one else knows about this box, except for Trowa and myself. Trowa's known the...things (I'll call it things because I don't know what name to give it) that I hold for Duo Maxwell, and yes I know Duo's surname because I did some research. And who wouldn't know it when he's just one of the most talked about boys on campus? Girls (and guys) swarm around him like bees to honey, crooning over his gorgeous hair, dreamy eyes, delectable grin and intense aura whenever he writes something. I shake my head. Those are the same things that I croon about Duo to Trowa, plus the fact that he sings so well (The sound of his voice makes me hard. I'm not kidding I've already tried it, okay.) and that he's so...different than other people I know. He's just so...he just feels right to me. Like we belong, or something.

Do I make any sense?

There's light rapping on my window. I wonder why Trowa's dropped by today. I mean, he's usually at Quatre's every Thursday night.

I open the window to let my friend in. "Sessions with Quatre over early?"

Instead of answering, he hands me a letter. I look at him curiously, then examine the envelope. There isn't any address signed on it, just a simple 'Heero' printed neatly. I look at Trowa again, asking from whom the letter was, but he just sits on my bed and sorts through my box's contents.

I open the envelope. Maybe it's signed inside.

~I tried to write a few stanzas for you
The last ones to end the past several years
But like my tied tongue, my pen is frozen,
Refusing to say goodbye.

A sort of closure for me, this is,
And I must do this for my own mind's peace;
I must bid farewell to my muse--
My ocean of creative juice---
And this may sound silly, or corny, or both but...

...But thank you for the poems.

Good luck and goodbye.~

"Trowa, who's this from?" I ask anxiously. Who would write something like this? And is this really for me? "Trowa?"

"Somebody just told me to give it to you. Didn't say from whom," he replies noncommittally, while reading through one of the clippings that I've collected in my box.

Trowa isn't telling me something. "I bet Quatre handed it over to you."

He keeps silent, and his head is a little lowered than before. I knew it.

"Who is it from, Trowa?" I ask again. As a follow-up, I added, "I thought we're friends."

Inwardly, I sneer. I always get him by that.

"Quatre just asked me to give it to you, okay," he says at last, still not looking at me. "Said a friend of his asked him to hand it to me to be given to you. I don't know anything beyond that."

"Is it Duo?" I press. Suddenly there's this feeling that's trying to burst out from me. I hope it's from Duo. Oh gods I wish it's from Duo...

Wait, wait! That's not right! Why would Duo write something like this for me? Why would Duo write anything at all for me? Isn't that a bit too...presumptuous? I don't think he even knows I exist anymore.

"...Yeah."

I nearly missed that. "W-what?"

Trowa looks up at me at last, mild wonder mirrored in his eyes, then smirks. "You're a bit flustered."

I blink. I am. "It's from him?"

He shakes his head. "What'd I tell you?"

I just stare in amazement at Trowa, then at the letter, then at Trowa again. I suddenly have this strange feeling of...I feel like I'm floating. Floating in happiness...floating in happiness...floating in happiness...Duo...

"Heero? Are you alright? You're scaring me...Heero?"

Floating in happiness...

. t o b e c o n t i n u e d .