Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishful Thinking Book Two: All Boxed-Up ❯ Chapter 5B ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing is not mine. No copyright infringement intended. I am not making money out of this. Original part of the fiction is the property and is copyrighted to the author.
Category: AU, shounen ai get-together fic
Rating: PG
Pairing: 1+2+1
WARNINGS: An incredibly, toothachingly sappy poem!
Dedication: For Emmy-chan
Notes: *Another* vital school tidbit: their classes start on June and ends on March. I know this is weird for most of you, but I wouldn't dare experiment on something that I don't have knowledge/experience of.

Title: Wishful Thinking, Book Two: All Boxed-Up (Chapter Five B)
Author: AJ Maxwell ( webmaster@weluvduo.zzn.com )

Regular classes have begun, and we are meeting our subject teachers today. For most people, this day is something that is to be dreaded and to be faced with boredom, but not me. Let's just say that I'm...seeing an old friend later, during History period. The thought of Zechs, or Mr. Peacecraft as I will be required to call him within the campus, lifts up my spirit a bit.

...I saw Duo this morning and he was late like I was. I rarely come in to school late; I hate being late. This morning's different, though. He is just so...(discreet sigh). Well, pardon me for acting like some lovesick baka. I have no intention to act like so, it's just that when I saw him earlier it was obvious that he hadn't had much sleep, since he was yawning all over the place and blinking those sparkling violets at everyone and he just looked so kawaii. He looked like he'd just been run over by a truck, but in a peculiar, nice way. Hn. Listen to me. Sparkling violets? I just described his eyes like they're dizzying disco lights or something, not that I've ever seen disco lights. And kawaii? To say the word aloud will probably be degrading to me when somebody hears me.

Duo's having sleeping troubles. No, not that adolescent male sleeping troubles. I bet he's bleeding his heart out for his unrequited love for Noin...maybe he's filling up that notebook of his with all his words that somehow tattoos their way into my soul, one way or another. This train of thought truly darkens my mood. Duo and Noin. It makes me sick. Not literally, but close.

Just then the door opens, admitting a teacher. Long platinum blond hair and an average height is all I can see from where I am, but I just know who it is. Of course. It's Ze--I mean, Mr. Peacecraft. Mr. Peacecraft, Heero. He's Mr. Peacecraft to you within the campus.

Formal introductions are made, and as Mr. Peacecraft's eyes make contact with mine, he nods toward me with a slight crinkling of the corners of his eyes. I just give a slight smirk. In truth, I can't wait to hear how he has been all this time.

History class has passed by like a blur; me with my head in the Duo-shaped clouds (Did I just make a poetic remark?), and as for the rest of my classmates, I don't care. Let them float around in their own cloud--I'm in *my* own Duo-shaped cloud, and no one's allowed to ride it with me.

I just wish I don't have to dream on Duo-shaped clouds anymore.

It is now Monday, the seventh day of October. First of all, I hate Mondays. Secondly, I especially detest this day because I'm walking with crutches and I'm *late*! Pardon me for the uncharacteristic outburst, but I *hate* being late and I absolutely hate walking around like a trussed-up chicken...maybe not that bad, but I hate these crutches. And it's my birthday, damn it! It's my damn fricking birthday and I'm walking around like an invalid--

"Heero, be careful, will you? You don't want to break something again!" Une clucks at me like an older sister turned unwanted mother hen. Ugh.

"I'm fine it's okay," I ground out. I should try to calm myself before I get Une pissed off, too. "Just...just stop treating me like some--"

"Like a baby, Hee-chan?" she sneers at me. Sometimes I really hate her, too. "Hn."

The gleam in her eyes is malicious. "But you're my baby brother, Hee-chan. And you're injured I have to take care of--"

"Enough about it already!" I hiss, my eyes darting around if anyone heard. "Just help me get an admission slip, ok?"

She just shrugs, then helps me to the office.

"Hey! Happy birthday, Heero!" somebody greets me from behind. I turn around to find Meiran, my classmate last year. I nod at her and say my thanks.

"Awesome game yesterday. You guys really beat 'em to a pulp. You took a bad fall during the last quarter. How was it? The legs, I mean. You okay?" she fires off like a machine gun. This makes me smile, though I have no idea why. "Thank you. I'm doing okay with the crutches."

"That's really great to hear. See you later!"

As she walks away, I hear a really evil bird taunt me, "Baby Hee-chan has a gi~rl...Baby Hee-chan has a gi~rl...!"

"Une," I growl. "Omae o--"

And then there he is, the person who makes every bad day become one of my best. I sound like a sap, but I don't care. Not at all.

He passes by me, and for a second there I think that he is going to say something to me, because he is looking shyly up at me. Then the moment is over, and he is turning his eyes away as if burned. He is blushing slightly.

It's obvious that he was going to say something, but what? Or was he going to say something to me? This is so confusing...

"I already got your admission slip for you, Heero," Une's voice startled me from my reverie. "You don't want to miss too much of your first period."

"Thanks," I mutter, nearly absently. What actually happened between Duo and I back there?

××××

~I sit here in the classroom once again,
And I find myself thinking about you--
Thinking about you again, and again
Again, and again, and again--
I'm drowning in my thoughts of you,
But I don't mind;
No, I don't mind at all.

I sit here, a solitary figure yet again,
As my classmates chat to themselves and laugh
While the substitute teacher does his own thing,
And I sit here quietly writing a poem
A poem about you yet again;
A poem about you again, and again, and again,
Again, and again, and again
You're filling up the pages of my Trig notebook
But I don't mind;
No, I don't mind at all.

I stroll down the hallway,
My steps small and excruciatingly slow;
My eyes roam, seeking you yet again;
Seeking a glimpse of even your shadow yet again
Again, and again, and again
Again, and again, and again,
I almost crash into a wall,
But I don't mind;
No, I don't mind at all.

I reach the stone steps of the plaza,
And there, I see your towering form at the far end;
I glimpse you for the first time today,
And my heart jumps inside my chest again
Again, and again, and again
Again, and again, and again;
I catch your eyes with mine for a moment,
And I nearly trip on my toes;
I don't mind, though;
No, I don't mind at all.~ --Shinigami

A new issue is out. It's obvious that he's set his eyes on somebody again. Who is it this time? ...Maybe me?

I crush this thought as quickly as I can. No. Thoughts like that won't do. But I still find myself thinking thoughts that resemble the one that I just eliminated...not effectively eliminated, but I tried.

"Heero Yuy?"

I blink the Duo-scented haze from my eyes. (Duo must be rubbing off on me) "Yes?"

Mr. Peacecraft is looking at me with a kind expression. "Could you tell us something about the Renaissance?"

I lick my lips nervously for a second. "Uh--"

Mr. Peacecraft just smiles at me more. "Next time read your assignments, Heero. I won't spare you next time."

I sink lower in my seat. I think he's going to nag me the first chance he gets.

××××

"Happy Birthday, Heero," a familiar voice greets me.

I turn around to face the newcomer, It's Zechs. "Thank you, Ze--Mr. Peacecraft."

The older man chuckles softly. "You've been fine with Zechs before. Besides, classes are dismissed. You may call me whatever suits you."

I just nod in reply; being with him in school still feels a bit weird. I'm just not used to it, that's all. He moves to sit beside me on the bench, and I move my crutches out of the way.

"You know," here begins the nagging session, "you've been living in a bubble ever since I can remember. What's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is the team giving you a hard time? Your health?" he begins questioning. "Your grades, although they're not low for an average student, is still very mediocre for someone like you. I know you, Heero. You can do better than how you've been doing lately. Something must be bothering you."

"Can't anything get past you? I'm fine," I insist, knowing it is futile.

Zechs just nods. "OK. I'll leave it at that, for now. But you do know that I'm going to continue pestering you about it?"

I sigh, both relieved and defeated. The battle is to resume another day. "You're worse than 'neesan," I grumble.

At the mention of my older sister, Zechs perks up. "Is she the one going to pick you up?"

"Yeah. In fact, there she is."

Une drives up near us as Zechs helps me with my stuff.

"Hey, Zechsy!" my sister hollers from the driver's seat. Really. She's just shameless sometimes.

"What?"

"Ride with us, will you? I won't take no for an answer!"

I shake my head at their antics. They call themselves 'grown-ups', huh?

"Here, I'll help you with that."

"Thanks," I grunt out, holding on to the door without my crutches. I slip inside the backseat. Zechs slams the door and occupies the passenger seat.

As the car slowly pulls away, I turn my head for a last searching look, hoping to be treated to a final glimpse of the day. I'm not disappointed, because there he is, not far from where we were sitting minutes ago, frozen in place. He looks so perfect, especially with the fading sunlight playing with the red and gold strands of his hair.

"It's a happy birthday after all," I murmur to myself, and smile.

. t o b e c o n t i n u e d .