Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wishful Thinking Book Two: All Boxed-Up ❯ Chapter 5A ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing is not mine. No copyright infringement intended. I am not making money out of this. Original part of the fiction is the property and is copyrighted to the author.
Category: AU, shounen ai get-together fic
Rating: PG
Pairing: 1+2+1
WARNING: language, sap, OOCness
Dedication: For Emmy-chan
Notes: I must inform you first that I patterned their school details from what I am familiar with. Here, they don't go around to different classrooms and meet different classmates after every subject. They stay in one classroom, with the same people all throughout the school year, and the teachers are the ones who go from classroom to classroom after every period. I believe that Duo mentioned something like, "Heero and I have never been classmates before" in "The Words...", and I failed to mention this little tidbit that I am noting now. I'm sorry. :)

Title: Wishful Thinking, Book Two: All Boxed-Up (Chapter Five A)
Author: AJ Maxwell ( webmaster@weluvduo.zzn.com )

The new issue of the school paper is out, and I grab my copy before everyone crowds around the pile. I leaf through the pages, the feel of the paper very familiar to my hands.

Walking straight to my locker, I find Trowa already there, standing in front of his own locker and talking with Quatre.

"Don't be late, okay? We have a lot of work to do this afternoon," I hear Quatre saying to Trowa.

"I won't be late. Bye, Quatre."

The blonde boy leaves, throwing a reserved smile in my direction, which I answer with a nod. "What was that?"

Trowa just shrugs. "Mr. Corman's absent today, and we were supposed to continue practicing for the concert next week. The seniors are still enjoying their seniority over us 'lower levels', so they're kind of being a bunch of bullies sometimes. That's why we shouldn't be late, because the President and her cohorts might...y'know, at the slightest thing going wrong."

I'm a bit surprised at my friend's reply. For Trowa, that is a mouthful. I just shrug it off and open my locker, but not missing the raised eyebrow.

"What?" I open my locker and place my copy of the school paper inside.

Leaning against his locker, he nods, referring to the thing that I vowed not to get my hands on ever again. "That."

"It's nothing," I grunt a bit defensively, still going through my books.

"You said, and I quote, 'I will never touch anything that has to do with Duo Maxwell for as long as I live.'. What happened to that?"

I slam my locker shut, a bit embarrassed and exasperated. Okay, I did say that. But am I not allowed to change my mind?

"You changed your mind," he nods sagely, smirking. "I knew it all along."

"Hn."

~I just can't help but imagine

How your eyes would feel if I dive into their stunning blue depths,

If I would feel cold, hot, or deliciously warm;

Enveloped in their liquid Prussian arms--caressed by your arms.

I wish we're together.~ --Shinigami

I still find myself reading his words; reading what his heart screams everyday. I can't help it. Last year I vowed to forget him, to just let him go and let everything that I have of him go, but I couldn't. I tried, I really did but I failed. And now I still feel the pain. See? He's still pining for Noin who, though it shames me a bit to be glad, has already gone away for college. Blue eyes...he still wishes they're together when they obviously couldn't have a chance anymore. This frustrates me somewhat, but Noin's off to college and inevitably she's going to meet people her age. Men are going to hit on her, not just mere high school sophomore boys. For a moment this thought makes me feel better.

I reach down to the floor, my hand grabbing for the box under my bed. Yes, I did say that I was going to burn it; I said a lot of things during that time, but just like all the other words that came out of my mouth, I couldn't do it.

(begin flashback)

Trowa just looked at me expressionlessly. "So, you're really going to burn it."

"Yes," I answered.

"Okay. I brought the matches. Let's burn it in the backyard."

For a second I was shocked. What? Wasn't he going to talk me out of it? He's really being suspiciously helpful. I scowl.

"What?" he raised an eyebrow at me. "You think I'm kidding? You're serious about forgetting him, right? Why shouldn't I help you with it? As you've said, this has gone on for too long already."

I paused for a few seconds, then, "Hai. Let's go."

We went down, past the garage and into the backyard. Several minutes after Trowa already got a medium-sized fire going. "Give me the box."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why?"

Trowa just looked bored. "I said I was going to help you burn it. Let me have it."

"N-no...I'll do it myself."

Suddenly Trowa chuckled softly. "Okay. And maybe you want this to be a private moment."

"Shut up, Trowa."

He stopped laughing at me, but the amused gleam in his eyes stayed. "I guess I'll leave you alone with your box, Heero. I think you need some privacy."

"Thank you for your moral support," I remarked snidely at his retreating back.

I'm going to do it. I'm really going to do it.

...

...

...Damn it! Heero! Just toss the box into the fire, damnit!!

...

Fine. Close your eyes. On the count of ten, throw the box. One, two, three, four..

..my hands are shaking..

..five, six, seven, eight,

Then I started coughing a bit, which turned to a slight wheezing. I groaned. No.

Get out of the smoke, baka!

The wheezing went worse, and I used both hands to cover my nose and mouth as I quickly moved away from the range of smoke. I coughed some more, my other hand searching my pocket for my nebulizer. There! As I tried to "cure" myself, I was suddenly aware of something *very* wrong.

"WHERE'S THE DAMN BOX???!?!?!?!?"

(end flashback)

It's a bit charred around one side. During my coughing fit I somehow dropped it, and then I guess it bounced near the fire. My box is made of really hard, recycled cardboard, and when I found it, one side was a bit burned, and the rest of it was wet (I had to put out the fire first). It is a good thing that the lid did not come off when it landed on the grass, or else the fire would have eaten the very treasures that I keep there.

I glance at the poem. To keep or not to keep?

Why do I even ask myself?

. t o b e c o n t i n u e d .