Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Yaoi Challenge Reply: You've Got A Friend in Me ❯ Part Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

::sigh:: the last part! For now anyway ^_~. So many projects going! I'll try to find time to write a real epilogue. Enjoy!

Your faithful servant,

Nikki :-P

Title: You've Got A Friend in Me

By: Nikki :-P or Nataku's Child

Archive: Anywhere is fine! Just tell me where ya are!

Pairings: 2+3, 1x5, 4+Relena, tiny mention of 3+4

Rating: PG-13 (a little on the safe side)

Genre: Romance and humor again.

Time: After Endless Waltz

Key:

~~~ Scene change or break

-POV comment- like say Duo said: it took a while -because I got lost- If the scene is in third person it's just a comment by well...the third person.

(Point of view)

*Thoughts*

Warnings: as always shounen-ai, some yaoi implications, non-yaoi (non-shounen-ai just doesn't sound right), mild cursing, cross dressing (mentioned)

Disclaimer: I still don't own anything. I still have no desire to be sued. This is for my sanity. I hope you like it.

You've Got A Friend in Me

Part Four

By Nikki :-P

~I~ Chapter One ~I~

Duo whistled while flipping pancakes the next morning.

"That smells great Duo!" Quatre said brightly.

Duo turned with a blinding smile on his face. "Hey there Q-man! Have a good night?" he asked winking.

Quatre blushed brightly and mumbled something like, "yeah."

Duo grinned even bigger and returned his attention to the quickly burning pancakes.

"You seem to be in a good mood! Any special reason that you're gracing our table your talents?" Quatre asked, trying to change the subject.

Duo snorted. "Yeah, 'talents'. Well you know, that pancake mix's instructions are kinda hard to understand." He jerked a thumb to said box.

Quatre laughed as Trowa walked in. "Hey Trowa! Sleep well?" he asked.

Trowa peered over the pan Duo was cooking in. "Very well."

Quatre wasn't sure but he could have sworn he saw a quick glance and smile between them, but before he could ask Relena and Heero walked in, both laughing.

"You two also?" Quatre asked. "What's with everyone?"

Relena smiled put her arm lightly around his neck from behind his chair.

"I don't know about Heero, but I think you know why I'm in a good mood."

Quatre blushed again and Relena giggled, kissing him on the cheek.

They were sitting down and waiting for Duo to finish with the pancakes when Wufei walked in. He nodded to them and started walking past but stopped, giving Heero a quick kiss before continuing up the stairs, presumably to take a shower. Heero smiled and looked down at the paper he was reading.

After a minute or two he noticed how quiet it was, he looked up to see what was wrong only to see everyone starring at him. He sighed, folded the paper, put it down and crossed his arms.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

All of them just starred a bit longer, even Duo -who had turned away from the pancakes- was at loss for words.

"I-it's just," Quatre finally stammered. "You two never really..."

"Acknowledged each other's existence, let alone shown compassion," Trowa finished.

"Yeah," agreed Duo and Relena.

Heero just shrugged and returned to his paper.

But after a minute he said: "Duo the pancakes are burning."

~~~

"Instant oatmeal! I knew there was something I could make!" Duo said proudly as they sat down to eat -finally-.

"It looks great Duo," Trowa said quietly.

"Thanks Tro!"

*Another look!* Quatre thought as the two smiled at each other for a split second. *Something's definitely going on.*

Wufei had returned. He was the one who suggested the oatmeal.

Quatre turned his attention to him and Heero. They were doing something similar, though more open.

*Odd, that it would be them being more open*

He was dying to know what was going on. Last time he'd seen them it was like they didn't know each other. If Wufei hadn't told him already, he wouldn't have guessed they had anything. If what they had could be called something, from what he'd said it sounded like it was just sex.

But now as he watched them, it was different, they seemed not only happy but...how could he say it? It seemed like they almost...loved each other. He saw the little things, a smile, a quiet inside joke. This was different. Normally he would have been happy but...why didn't they tell him? He'd talked to Wufei numerous times since Thanksgiving and had even talked to Heero for a while. But they never said a thing.

Then there was Trowa and Duo...

When they finished breakfast Duo got up and started clearing the table.

"Oh Duo don't do that," Quatre said. "Let the servants do it."

Duo shook his head. "Naw, it's fine."

Trowa got up. "I'll help you."

Quatre watched as Duo and Trowa gave each other another look before disappearing into the kitchen.

"I think I'll go help," Quatre said a minute later.

Relena didn't look too happy to be left with the other two -she always had this feeling that Wufei didn't like her- but nodded.

When Quatre got to the kitchen door he held his breath and pushed it open slowly. Duo and Trowa were washing dishes. Nothing suspicious. Quatre was feeling terrible for being so nosy and was about to close the door when he caught Trowa's words.

"Do think they know?"

Quatre stopped short, peering through the crack in the door, he saw Duo shake his head. "I'm not sure. Quatre was watching us but he was also watching Heero and 'fei. By the way, what's up with them?"

Trowa shook his head.

Duo sighed. "I don't want to keep this a secret for long though."

Trowa smiled and put the dish he was rinsing up to dry. "Neither do I."

"Hey Tro'?"

"Yeah?" Trowa turned just in time to get a face full of suds.

"Tag! You're it!" Duo was grinning madly.

"Ow! You got some in my eye!" Trowa said behind a wall of soap.

"Oh Tro' I'm so sorry!" Duo grabbed a towel and started wiping of Trowa's face. When the towel came away Trowa was smiling.

"Got'cha" He pulled Duo close and kissed him gently.

"No fair," Duo said when they broke away.

"All's fair in love and war," Trowa said smirking slightly.

Quatre stood in shock. *Did he just say what I think he said?*

Duo just smiled. "Still, that was low."

They were still in each other's arms. This was just too much for Quatre, and seeing that this was about to turn into another mushy love scene he decided now was a good time to get some answers. He pushed open the door loudly and stood in front of the embracing couple with his arms crossed.

"Q-Quatre!" Duo said blinking in surprise.

"You two. We need to talk. Now." Quatre's voice had a cold, commanding edge that he hardly ever used.

They followed him through the dinning room. Heero, Wufei and Relena were at the table, looking very uncomfortable. Relena looked about to breath a sigh of relief until she noticed Quatre's expression. She shot a questioning look, but Quatre just turned to Heero and Wufei.

"Follow." he twitched his head in front of him then turned to Relena, holding out his hand. She hesitated slightly before taking it.

Quatre led them into a sitting room. It didn't look at all comfortable.

"Sit." he gestured to the stiff looking chairs. He still held Relena's hand though. She looked just as confused as the rest.

Quatre took a deep breath. "Now," he said. "What happened? Last time I checked, Heero and Wufei were going at it like rabbits by night and caring less by day. Trowa and Duo were 'friends,' completely denying anything while the outside world just waited until one of them blew. Now, all I see is four people acting like lovesick puppies and why the hell won't anyone talk to me!?" the last part seemed like it was held too long and had finally forced it's self out.

Quatre was breathing deeply, trying to regain control. Everyone was staring at him, reluctant to talk. This upset Quatre even more, though Relena was trying to calm him down. But his expression had changed. A minute ago Quatre looked like an angry bull, now he looked like a puppy that had just been kicked away.

He shook his head. "You're right. I have no right to ask." He closed his eyes. "I-I kept everything from you. And...It's not my business anyway."

He turned and walked away. They couldn't help but notice him wipe away a tear.

The door closed lightly behind Relena, who had gone after Quatre.

Duo sighed and dropped his head in to his hands. Heero leaned back as best he could in the stiff chair he sat in. Trowa stood up and sat on Duo's armrest, putting his arm around Duo's shoulder. Wufei just sat up straight, his forehead wrinkled in thought.

"Why?" Duo asked. "Why couldn't we tell him?"

Trowa just shook his head.

Heero stood up. Wufei noticed and started to also but Heero shook his head.

"I need to tell him," Heero said.

Wufei nodded. Heero gave Wufei a quick hug and a short kiss before leaving after Quatre. Trowa and Duo just watched in shock, it was just so...different. They waited in silence for something to happen. Hoping one of the missing friends would come and tell them what to do.

After about a half hour Heero opened the door to the study. All of them looked up sharply. Heero gave a reassuring nod to Wufei before turning his attention to the other two.

"He wants to see one of you."

Trowa and Duo looked at each other. They had shifted; Duo was sitting on Trowa's lap.

"I think you should go," Trowa said quietly.

"Me?!" Duo asked surprised. "Why me?"

Trowa smiled and gently rubbed Duo's cheek with his thumb. "You're better at explaining things then I am."

Duo looked away. "Trowa...I can't lie. I'll have to tell him..."

Trowa nodded. "I know. Please tell him for me...I don't think I can. He deserves the truth, and I think I would rather you tell him."

Duo half-smiled. "You sure do know how to flatter a guy."

"Alright," Duo said, getting up. "I'll go." He gave Trowa a quick kiss before puffing up his chest and walking out of the room.

The door clicked closed and he dropped the act.

*Oh-God-oh-God-oh-God*

His hands were sweating. He had to tell Quatre everything.

*Calm down it'll be ok. Just smile, it's gonna be ok.* [1]

He took a deep breath and walked towards Quatre's room.

~II~ Chapter Two ~II~

*How many hallways does this place have?!* Duo wandered around for a good ten minutes looking for Quatre's room. *They all look the same!*

He saw one of the staff in the corner of his eye.

"Stop!" he yelled and ran toward a very frightened young woman. "Where is Quatre's room?" he asked a little to loudly.

"M-Master Quatre's quarters are in the eastern wing, second story, four doors from the second staircase," she said quickly, looking more then a little frightened.

Duo blinked a few times. "Uh...can you please show me?"

~~~

Duo heaved a sigh of relief as the hallways seemed slightly familiar.

The maid stopped in front of a door. "This is Master Quatre's Music room. I believe that is were he is now."

Duo's smile was a bit shaky. "Thank you."

The girl bowed quickly and retreated.

Duo took a deep breath and opened the door. Quatre was sitting on a window seat looking out the window. Duo walked up slowly and coughed to get his attention. Quatre looked up and smiled sadly.

"Hey Q-man! Sorry to keep you waiting like that, I kinda got lost." He tried to be cheerful.

Quatre seemed to appreciate the effort, even though Duo was sure he didn't buy it. Quatre gestured to the space across from him on the window seat.

"It happens," Quatre said kindly, as always.

Duo sat down and looked out the window. The view was glorious; you could see most of the gardens and the land beyond.

"Wow," Duo said. "This is beautiful."

Quatre nodded. "It helps when I've been playing a while and need to unwind," he said.

Duo tore his eyes away from the large window.

"Quatre?"

A soft 'hm?' showed Quatre was listening but preferred the window. Duo understood. There were still fresh tears on Quatre's cheeks.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Trowa, I couldn't risk letting it out then having to bottle it up again. Being friends is tiring."

Quatre smiled a little. "I can imagine," he said. "So..." he turned to Duo. "How did it happen?"

Duo sighed. Here was the hard part. "We met in a bar."

"I didn't know Trowa drank!" Quatre said surprised.

"I didn't either! I don't think he did much before that day."

"What do you mean? What day?"

"Quatre...Trowa, when he went to your house and found out about Relena. Yes he did tell me," Duo answered Quatre's unspoken question. "Well he was there for a reason. He wanted me to tell you...he was going to tell you how he felt about you. Trowa was in love with you, Quatre."

~~~

The chairs had gotten to the people in the sitting room. Heero was on the floor with Wufei, who had his head on Heero's shoulder. Trowa was leaning against the wall.

They waited in silence.

It seemed like hours later when the door clicked open. Quatre walked in with Duo closely behind him. Quatre looked around quickly, his gaze stopped on Trowa in the far corner. Quatre almost ran up, throwing his arms around the taller man. He was crying a little again.

"Oh Allah! I'm so sorry Trowa! I didn't know." muffled sobs came from Trowa's shirt.

Trowa looked to Duo, about to apologize, only to see him smiling softly. Trowa smiled at him lovingly and turned his attention to the crying blonde. "It's all right Quatre. I'm fine now."

Quatre looked up and smiled brightly. "I know." He winked and turned to Duo, who was soon enveloped in a similar hug. "And I'm so happy for you both! Though I just wish you had told me sooner."

He frowned. "I'm sorry I acted the way I did. I shouldn't have lost my temper like that." He smiled again though when he saw Heero and Wufei, they had stood when Quatre had walked in. They had their arms around each other's waists. "And you two!" He hugged the both of them, which they accepted, if not a little awkwardly.

Quatre looked at their hands and winked. Trowa and Duo looked to see silver rings on each left hand [2]. Duo swore they weren't there before. He eyed Heero and Wufei. They just ignored it but he noticed their grips on each other got tighter.

Quatre looked at his watch. "Oh! We missed lunch and we're almost to dinner! How about we go out? My treat?"

"Sounds good," a voice said from the doorway.

"Relena!"

Relena smiled and walked in to the room. "Is this a private party? Am I invited?" she asked.

Quatre kissed her cheek lightly. "Of course you're invited! So what do you say guys? You up to dinner?"

"Sure!" Duo said. "But if we're going anywhere fancy, I'm gonna have to borrow one of Relena's dresses."

...Silence...

"Come on guys I'm just kidding! What? You didn't think..."

Quatre gave a nervous chuckle and started gently pushing Relena out the door, Heero and Wufei following quickly behind.

"Come on! You didn't think...Tro?"

Trowa smiled and followed the others.

"H-hey, I'm not like that! Trowa! Wait you didn't think I...Tro?"

[3]

The End

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~

[1] Shades of "Kitto Ok!"

[2] I've been working on a side story about them. What happened? Why the sudden change? I know! But I still need to work on it. *Update* It's finished! And posted/uploaded, whatever.

[3] Yeah I know, abrupt ending. I wanted to end on a happy/funny note and I couldn't think of anything else to say so that's the end. Might be an epilogue if I can think of something to do. Any ideas?

~~~~~