Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ ZER0 ❯ Envy ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Title: ZER0 - Part 2 - Envy
Author: Vinyl Koneko (Emily), roguegirl@att.net
Rating: R
Warnings: language, angst, death, blood, gruesome stuff
Archive: Want it? Take it. Just give me credit, please.
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. I just like to play with them and make them play with each other.
Comments: *Emphasis*, 'thought', [flashback], /written/. Envy is the Second Deadly Sin and is defined as the desire for the possessions or qualities of another. Kinda-sorta based on the movie SE7EN, but not really.

*~**~*

January 10, 201 AC

*~**~*

Another dull day at Preventers. Duo had felt that he had evolved beyond resorting to Solitaire to pass the time.

ShiNiGAMi201: Hi. My name is Duo.
SmarterChild: Hmmm... I don't think Duo is a real name.
ShiNiGAMi201: Yes it is!
SmarterChild: Ya got that right.
ShiNiGAMi201: Well then my name is Duo and it is a real name.
SmarterChild: Well then my name is duo and it is a real name, you say?
ShiNiGAMi201: Yes...
SmarterChild: Huh.
ShiNiGAMi201: Just call me Duo.
SmarterChild: Hmmm... I don't think Duo is a real name.
ShiNiGAMi201: You know you're wandering in circles, right?
SmarterChild: For real?
ShiNiGAMi201: Real.
SmarterChild: Real? What do you mean by that?
ShiNiGAMi201: What the hell does that have to do with the price of cheese?
SmarterChild: What the hell does that have to do with the price of cheese?
ShiNiGAMi201: Why are you repeating me?
SmarterChild: Hmm... I don't know!

A sudden lack of typing from his officemate's keyboard caught Duo's attention. He looked up in time to see Prussian blue eyes narrowed in his direction. The braided American sat up in his seat, pretending he was doing something important, and reminisced of the days when there wasn't a grunge for space at the main Preventers HQ and he had his own office with no Heero Yuy glaring at him everytime he wasn't doing an assignment.

"What are you doing?"

"Talking to SmarterChild on AIM. You should try it sometime...I heard the conversations can be funny as hell..."

ShiNiGAMi201: I have this friend...his name is Heero...
SmarterChild: That right?
ShiNiGAMi201: Yeah. He's a real stick-in-the-mud sometimes, if you know what I mean.
SmarterChild: Excuse me?
ShiNiGAMi201: Heero. He's a stick-in-the-mud.
SmarterChild: I'm sorry, I don't know what you're saying. Try again.
ShiNiGAMi201: I thought you were supposed to be smart.
SmarterChild: You thought me were supposed to be smart? Really?
ShiNiGAMi201: Ah forget it.
SmarterChild: OK.
ShiNiGAMi201: Anyway. My friend Heero is supremely anal retentive.
SmarterChild: My, my, my.
ShiNiGAMi201: No kidding, eh? He thinks I should be working all the time. I think he runs on a battery or something.
SmarterChild: Yeah?
ShiNiGAMi201: Yup.
SmarterChild: That right?
ShiNiGAMi201: Are you paying any attention?
SmarterChild: It's tough to say.
ShiNiGAMi201: Gee, I love you too.
SmarterChild: I love you, you know that...

Duo's eyes widened and it was an effort to contain the laughter. "I think a machine is hitting on me..."

"Nani?" Heero's typing had stopped again.

'I *definitely* did not distract him that time...' "SmarterChild just told me he loves me."

"Hn, baka. Get back to work."

Duo slowly got out of his chair to stretch, signing off Instant Messanger, hearing his shoulders pop and rubbing the tensed muscles. "You know, Heero, this isn't *work* this is *labor*. Why are they making us write reports to missions we weren't even sent out to do? I mean, I'm here as an active field agent, not the green agents' secretary!"

"Missions are given to best utilize strengths and weaknesses of the agent. When the right mission comes along, you'll have a field assignment."

Deathscythe's former pilot couldn't help but glare at Heero and his damned logic. It still didn't make it fair. Wufei was out checking illegal arms traffic in Southeast Asia while they were stuck in headquarters.

There was a light rap on the door followed by Trowa entering the already-crowded space; his green eyes were as solemn as ever. "We have an assignment."

*~**~*

'Well if Trowa doesn't want to tell us about it, I'll just have to find out when we get there.' Duo leaned back into the cloth upholstery of the Preventers issue Blazer, painted the same drab green as on the issued jackets with the logo painted on the hood and in the middle of each flank. It was one ugly vehicle, but a smooth ride nonetheless.

"Victim's name is Evan Gail. He was found by his mother several hours ago, but she thought he was sleeping until she made a 911 call an hour ago which was, in turn, got sent to Preventers. EMTs supposedly didn't need to touch him to know he was dead, so the crime scene should be relatively untouched. We have people there already securing things and asking around the neighborhood." They pulled into a driveway in what appeared to be the typical middle-class suburbia. The house itself was a colonial, probably built in the late twentieth century, and had a chainlink fence running around it with several small dogs running the length as close to the Blazer as they could get.

They parked next to the minivan, flashing badges at the agents guarding the door. 'Has to be a murder; nothing else would require so much, but why are so many people here? The local police are supposed to take care of this; we only get the cases of the higher ups or those that would be a threat to peace.'

Duo wasn't prepared for the murder scene, and the second he stepped into the room with the body he had to back immediately out to catch himself. Heero paused as well, eyes widening slightly at the scene, but Trowa had been there before and knew what to expect. The Latin man excused himself momentarily, returning outside to the agents standing guard.

"H-He's just a boy!"

"He was twelve-years-old," came Trowa's voice through the doorway.

Duo collected himself, slipping on a cool exterior for the moment. He still needed to look professional. Afterall, he grew up with death, and eventually as Death. 'You're here to do your job. You can't help the kid without seeing what happened to him and convicting the guilty.' Duo silently made his way into the bedroom, standing behind Heero who was paying attention to a medical examiner.

The only clue that Evan Gail was dead was his face. His eyes were open and glassy, permanently held in an expression of pure terror, and the lower half of his mouth was black. It looked like he had been burned, but as the medical examiner was pointing out, the burning seemed to continue down the boy's throat and was only located in and around the mouth.

Duo looked around for anything that could hint at a struggle or even an object that could have been the cause of such odd burns. The room was done in different hues of green, and the walls were adorned with images of sports celebrities, mostly athletes from baseball and soccer teams. One the dresser were several trophies and ribbons of various placings, and leaning against the wall in one corner stood a tuba that looked freshly polished.

"Why would anyone kill a kid?" Duo voiced his question outloud.

"The mother should be the prime suspect. No one else seems to have access to the house," Heero replied simply, scouring the room more efficiently than a fine-toothed comb.

"No, that's doesn't seem right. I was a thief, and just from looking at the outside of the house I could see how easy this one would be to break into unnoticed."

Heero paused for a moment. "The injuries are too deliberate to just be a thief."

Duo continued his rotation of the room, slowly opening the closet door should anything fall out or attack him. Nothing seemed out of place, but when he went to close the door again, images caught his eye.

The entire inside of the door was covered with images of the Gundams as well as any articles that were released during or after the war about them or their pilots. The collection had various OZ distributed wanted posters as well as in-battle photographs. Fresh red spray paint was dripping down the door.

"Heero?"

"Hn?"

"Take a look at this..."

/CAtCh ME if YOU CAN/

*~**~*

End Part 2