Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Rei-Bane ❯ Chapter 4: Visitors / Ikari's Dream / Judgment ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter Version 2.0

Do not post this to the Internet without my written permission. 

Please give me feedback!


Rei-Bane: Chapter 4: Visitors / Ikari’s Dream / Judgment

Nemu sat up groggily in her bed.  ‘What is that noise?’

A moment later a shrill whistle once again pierced the air for a few seconds.

"The Housemother is going to kill those kids," she muttered to herself, thinking that one or more of the Little Feathers must be responsible for the racket.

As she went to her window she noticed that it was so early that the first light of dawn was only just beginning to break.  As expected, when she looked out into the courtyard she could indeed see the elderly woman standing outside.  What confused Nemu, however, was that there were none of the younger Haibane out there with her and that her look was one of surprise, not anger.

‘We must have company,’ Nemu concluded.  She put on her shoes and coat and headed outside to see who could possibly be visiting them at such a strange hour and making so much noise in the process.  As she exited her room she met Hikari coming down the stairs.

"What’s going on, Nemu?"

"I don’t know."

The two headed out into the cold darkness.  As soon as they stepped outside the identities of their visitors became apparent.

Both of them gasped.  There standing just inside the gate was Glie’s Chief Constable, his whistle in his hand.  What surprised them more, however, was that standing behind him on either side were two members of the Renmei.

Hikari and Nemu ran over to the Housemother.

"What do they want?" Nemu whispered.

"I don’t know," the old woman replied.  "They haven’t said anything to me."

"Haibane!" the constable suddenly called out.  "We are here to take one of your number to the Temple for judgment."

"Who do you want and why?" Kana asked sharply as she came up to stand alongside her two sisters.

"We have come for the blue haired one."

"Rei?" asked Rakka as she joined the group.  "Whatever for?"

"She has assaulted one of the town’s children and must answer for what she has done," the constable said.

"That’s ridiculous!" Kana shouted.  "Rei wouldn’t hurt anyone!"

"Where is she?" the officer asked pointedly.  "Bring her out now!"

"I am here," Rei said softly as she stepped out of the East Tower barefooted and wearing only a nightshirt.

"You will come with us to the Temple immediately."

Nemu rushed over to her sister.  Grabbing Rei’s shoulders, she asked in utter disbelief, "Is what they’re saying true?  Did you actually attack a child?"

"I attacked no one," Rei answered flatly.  "I simply tried to defend Brother Ikari and myself yesterday when a group of boys tried to assault us."

"Did you hear that?" Nemu asked the constable.  "She says she was acting in self-defense."

"That is not what the children say," he answered.  "She even broke the boy’s hand."

"Rei, go in and get dressed for the trip to the Temple," Nemu said.  As Rei went back inside she turned to the visiting trio.  "As the senior Haibane of Old Home, I will come with her to face the Communicator."

"No!  She is to come alone."

"She’s a New Feather!  It’s not right for her to have to go alone!" said Kana.

"This is the will of the Communicator."

The Haibane all fell silent, their eyes cast down dejectedly.

A minute later Rei again appeared in the East Tower doorway.

"I am ready."

Silently, the constable led her out through the gate with the two Renmei following behind them.

"This is unbelievable," said Hikari as she watched them leave.

"They can’t seriously think that Rei beat up a boy all on her own while a bunch of his friends just watched, can they?" asked Kana incredulously.  "There must be more to this than he told us."

"We have to do something to help her!" Rakka insisted.

"What do you suggest?" Nemu asked evenly.  "The Communicator clearly doesn’t want us to interfere."

"Why would he keep us away like this?" asked Hikari.

"To protect you," the Housemother replied.  "This is very serious.  I have never seen anything like it before.  I believe the Communicator does not want the rest of you involved in the slightest, so that what has happened does not reflect badly on you as well."

"She still shouldn’t have to face the Communicator alone," Kana grumbled.  "She doesn’t know what it really means to be a Haibane yet."

"Let’s all go inside and get some tea and figure out what we can do," Hikari suggested.  "I’m freezing out here!"

"You girls run along.  I’m going to make sure the Little Feathers are all back in bed," the Housemother said as she turned to leave.

A few minutes later the four remaining Haibane were all sitting in silence around the guest room table, staring into their teacups.

"I’ve got it!" Rakka suddenly blurted out.

"What?" the others all asked.

"What about Ikari?  He was there, but the constable didn’t say anything about him being involved in the fight."

"So?" asked Hikari.

"That makes him a witness!  He can tell the Communicator what really happened."

"That will still make it the word of Haibane versus the word of the boys."

"Rakka’s right, though," said Kana.  "If this Ikari fellow wasn’t involved then he’s got no real reason to lie like Rei or the boys might to try to protect themselves."

"Except he might lie to protect Rei too," Nemu observed.  "The constable probably will assume that Haibane will always support each other.  Even the Communicator might think that."

"But everyone knows we’re not supposed to lie," said Hikari.

"And everyone knows that we’re not perfect and therefore might," replied Nemu.

"But we can’t just sit here," complained Rakka.

"Perhaps the Communicator will summon Ikari on his own," said Nemu.  "For all we know he might already have."

"We have to find out!" Hikari said.

"I agree," Nemu said and then turned to Kana.  "Take your scooter to the Abandoned Factory and see what’s going on there."

"And what should I do if the Communicator hasn’t sent for Ikari?  Should I take him there myself?"

"I think that depends on what you find out," said Nemu.  "But, yes, that’s probably the best thing we could do to help Rei."

"But taking him to the Temple might anger the Communicator," Hikari warned.  "He doesn’t seem to want us mixed up in this."

"And then we might all be disciplined," said Nemu.  "Especially you, Kana."

The group fell silent once again as all of them pondered the situation.

Finally, Kana stood up.  "I don’t care about being punished.  We’re Haibane.  We’re supposed to help each other no matter what."

The others all nodded. 

"Good luck," said Nemu.


At the Abandoned Factory, Ikari was dreaming:

He felt himself floating in a clear golden liquid.

‘No…  I’m not floating.  I’m sinking.  Faster and faster, I’m sinking.’

He struggled against the force pulling him down to no avail.  Trying to kick his legs he felt something around one of his ankles.  He looked down to see a chain wrapped around it, leading straight into the darkness below.

He lurched upright in his bed, panting for breath, his eyes wide.

‘Again… My cocoon dream.  Drowning, always drowning.’

He thought back to that first morning when he had told the others about it and Midori had given him his name.  "We’ll call you Ikari, the anchor," she had said.

‘Why must I keep having this nightmare?’

The others had told him that having one’s cocoon dream again, even as frequently as he did, was not unusual for a Haibane.

"Most of us have our cocoon dream from time to time," Midori had said to him.  "Sometimes I have mine a lot and then I won’t have it again for months and months.  But my dream is beautiful, so having it makes me feel good.  I really feel sorry for you.

"By the way, be sure to pay close attention to any changes," she had added without any explanation as to why.

Ikari thought that perhaps this time there had indeed been something different about the dream.  He decided it had felt like he was being watched as he sank, but by whom he could not tell.  However, he was sure about the emotions the watcher looking down on him induced.  The presence filled him with anger and hatred, on top of the hopelessness, panic and fear the dream usually caused.

He also thought that now he could tell with certainty that what he was drowning in was not water.  ‘It smells and tastes like blood.’

He laid back down and stared up at the two rusty disused pipes running along the edge of his room's now-familiar ceiling.  He disliked the pipes, as he thought they made the whole room feel dilapidated.

He sighed.  'Well, this did used to be a factory...'

His eyes wandered over to his room’s small window and the orange-hued dawn sky beyond. 

‘No way I’m getting back to sleep any time soon.’

After a while he heard the sound of a small motor approaching the Factory.

‘Wonder what that could be?’

A short time later he heard footsteps coming noisily down the hall.

"Is this it?" an unfamiliar female voice asked just outside his door.

"Yes," he heard Midori say.  "But you shouldn’t just barge…"

The door flung open to reveal Midori and a Haibane girl with short black hair.

"You Ikari?" the stranger asked.

He nodded as he sat up.

"I’m Kana," she continued.  "Hurry and get dressed.  I’ve come to take you to the Temple on my scooter."

"The Temple?" he asked.  "What for?"

"The Communicator’s had Rei brought to the Temple for judgment because of what happened yesterday," Kana explained. 

"What?  Why?"

"The Chief Constable thinks Rei attacked a boy.  You need to get up there quick and tell them what really happened."

"If you don’t go Rei will probably be disciplined," Midori added.

Ikari swung his legs out of bed.  "Okay, I’ll…" he trailed off, obviously unnerved.

Midori tugged on Kana’s sleeve.  "Come on.  He probably doesn't want us watching him get dressed."

Ikari sighed in relief as the door shut.

As he left his room and headed downstairs to the Factory door Ikari’s thoughts went back to his dream.  He found himself suddenly filled with feelings of dread and helplessness.

The image of the communicator – hooded, masked, holding his cane and looming over him – flashed in his mind and he froze.

‘I mustn’t run away.  I mustn’t run away.’

He willed himself down to where Midori and Kana were waiting for him.

"Ready?" Midori asked.

He nodded sheepishly.

"Alright then!" said Kana as she headed outside.  "Let’s go!"

Ikari followed after her but stopped in the doorway.

"What’s the matter?" Kana asked.

"I… I…"

Kana noticed that Ikari’s trembling hands were gripping the doorframe so hard his knuckles were white.  "It’s okay," she said, very puzzled by his behavior.  "Rei didn’t tell you I’m a crazy driver, did she?"

"N-No, it’s not that," he managed.  In his mind’s eye he saw himself sinking into the black abyss of his dream, the observer smiling behind his interlaced hands as he slipped ever deeper.

He took a step back and turned away from the door.  "I just can’t do this."

"Ikari?" asked Midori.  "Are you alright?  You’re so pale all of a sudden."

"What is his problem?" Kana shouted from the seat of her scooter.  "We’ve got to go now!"

"She’s right, Ikari," Midori said.  She then put her hands on his shoulders and tried to gently turn him around again, only to have him push them away. 

"I can’t do this!" he cried, tears now running down his face.

"What is his problem?" Kana again asked sharply, only now she was back standing in the doorway.

"I don’t know," Midori answered.  "Look at him.  He’s freaking out for some reason."

Kana grabbed Ikari’s arm roughly and tried to pull him out the door.  "Come on!"

He yanked his arm away and turned his back to the two girls.  "I-I’m sorry… I can’t go."

"What's the matter?" Midori asked.

"I don’t know!  I don't understand why I'm feeling this way!"

"If you don’t go then Rei will have no one else there to tell the truth about yesterday," Kana said as evenly as she could manage under the circumstances.  "She’s all alone up there!"

Ikari turned back around.  "I just can’t!  I can’t face the Communicator…  I’m sorry."

"The Communicator?  Why not?" Kana asked, her anger no longer hidden.

"It’s b-because of m-my dream."

Kana and Midori looked at each other in surprise.

"What about your dream?" Midori asked soothingly.

Instead of answering Ikari just hung his head and stared at the floor.

"Forget about your dream for now!" Kana admonished him.  "Rei needs your help.  You can’t abandon her like this!"

"Haibane are supposed to always help each other," Midori added.

Now shaking from head to toe, Ikari didn’t look up.  "I can’t.  I’m…"

"Yeah, yeah, you’re sorry," Kana taunted.  "At least have the decency to look us in the eye when you say it."

Ikari raised his head and Kana slapped him hard across the face, almost knocking him off his feet. 

"You’re a pathetic excuse for a Haibane," she spat as she left.


Rei stood impassively before the closed doors of the Temple.  She shivered slightly as one of the Renmei removed the large mitten-like covers that all Haibane wore over their wings in winter, exposing them to the cold air so that he could put on the customary bells.

Rei then held out her hands so that the other member of the Renmei who had come to Old Home could put the remaining two bells on her wrists.  However, instead of putting one bell on each of her wrists as had been done on her first visit to the Temple, he looped each of the two straps holding the bells around both wrists.

The implication of this symbolic binding was not lost on Rei.

The Temple doors then swung open and one of the Renmei led Rei and the Chief Constable inside.  As they walked Rei noted that the trees were now bare and the garden had wilted, giving the place a far more somber atmosphere than it had in summer.

The small party proceeded through the garden and entered a stone doorway that seemed to have been carved right out of the grey rock of the cliff face.  Rei noticed as she passed through that the doorway was flanked by carvings of strange symbols she had never seen the likes of before.

‘This must be the entrance to the Temple itself,’ she concluded. ‘Rakka said it was in the rear of the enclosure.’

Once inside they turned down a narrow side corridor that had small bare rooms opening off of it at seemingly random intervals.  Some of the entrances to these door-less rooms were inscribed with the same sort of symbols as the main entrance had been.  The guide eventually turned into one of these and left Rei and the Chief Constable there alone.

They stood in silence for quite some time.  At one point Rei glanced over at the Chief Constable to find him looking at her sternly.  Unfazed, she merely returned her gaze forward, much to the Constable’s surprise.  He knew that everything up until this point, including their prolonged wait and his harsh demeanor, was meant to unsettle and intimidate the young Haibane in preparation for the Communicator’s interrogation.  However, in Rei’s case he concluded that their efforts appeared to have been in vain.

Finally, the Communicator entered and stood in front of Rei, who shook the bells on her wrists in greeting.

"Feather Rei, you have come as I summoned," he said gravely.

Rei shook her right wing.

"Do you understand why you have been brought here?"

Again Rei rang the bells on her right wing.

The Communicator chuckled.  "No, I do not think that you do."

For a moment Rei’s expression became one of mild curiosity.

"You have come here to be judged, correct?"

Once more Rei shook her right wing.

"Young Feather, if you answer my questions honestly that will not happen."

Now Rei was truly surprised.

"We know you did not assault that boy in town," said the Chief Constable.  "He and his friends are known troublemakers.  It would be ridiculous for us to think you attacked someone like him."

"Do you know why these boys harassed you?" the Communicator asked.

Rei shook her right wing again.

"I give you permission to speak.  Tell us why."

"Because…" Rei stopped and took a deep breath.  "Because I am d-different, even from the other Haibane."

"So different that you can do seeming impossible things," said the constable.

"I did not know that I could do what I did until I did it."

"Ah, so the children were not lying when they told us how you injured that boy!"

Rei looked at him, confused.

"Naturally, we found their story of his hand breaking in midair and him being thrown magically to the ground unbelievable."

"And yet you now appear to be confirming it," the Communicator observed.

"Yes," Rei admitted.  "I seem to be able to affect things without touching them.  I do not know how or why I can."

"So you did block his punch and then toss him through the air," said the constable.

"Yes."

The constable looked at the Communicator.  "I still cannot believe it.  It’s too incredible."  He turned back to Rei.  "Demonstrate this ability for us."

"What do you wish me to do?"

"Try to push me to the ground as you did with that boy."

"I do not think I have such control over it."

"Try," commanded the Communicator.

Rei faced the constable and made a pushing motion with her right hand, just as she had done the previous evening.

Nothing happened.

She turned back to the Communicator.  "I am sorry, I cannot…"

"Rei!" shouted the constable.

Startled, Rei turned her head towards him just as he tossed his policeman’s baton at her.

Instead of hitting her shoulder the baton stopped in mid-flight and fell to the ground.

They all stood in stunned silence.  "Unbelievable," the constable eventually managed.  "But it is true."

"Indeed," the Communicator agreed.  "Feather Rei, you appear to be carrying a special burden from your previous life.  We therefore must take steps to protect you."

"Protect me?"

"Yes," the constable answered.  "Rumors will inevitably spread through the town about what happened yesterday."

"We do not know how the people of Glie might react to a Haibane with your abilities," the Communicator said.  "Some might fear you and therefore try to harm you.  We cannot allow that."

"But, clearly, they cannot do me physical harm," Rei observed.

"True," said the constable.  "In that event, though, some, like those boys, might turn their attention to the other Haibane."

Rei pictured her sisters from Old Home being set upon as she had been.  The images made her grimace. 

"What must I do to guarantee their safety?" she asked.

The constable nodded and smiled.  "Spoken like a true Haibane," said the Communicator.

"We are going to make it appear that you have been punished," the Constable said.  "In this way we will seem to be differentiating between you and the other Haibane, thus helping to ensure that the townspeople’s perception of them does not change.  We will also do what we can to downplay any rumors of your special abilities.  That should not be difficult given how implausible they will seem to those who hear of them."

"This ‘punishment’ will entail some hardship on your part," added the Communicator.  "In truth there will not be much difference between what we will do and actually disciplining you.  And you must never tell the other Haibane or anyone else the true reasons for what was done here today.  If anyone ever asks you about your abilities you are to deny they exist."

"I understand and will obey," Rei responded.  "But what about Brother Ikari?  He was there as well."

"I will instruct him to keep silent about what he may have seen."

Rei nodded.  "Do not concern yourself about me.  I am nothing.  Do as you feel necessary."

"Very well," said the Communicator.  "This is what you have agreed to…"


"Why don’t you just go in?" Kana asked Rakka as they waited outside the Temple for Rei to emerge.  "I mean, you do work here."

"Somehow I don’t think they’d like that," Rakka answered sheepishly.  She noticed that Kana was again rubbing her right hand.  "Did you hurt yourself?"

Kana looked away, embarrassed.  "It’s nothing."

For a while Rakka stood quietly as the minutes ticked by, but eventually watching Kana pace back and forth got the better of her and she began to pace as well.

"What is taking so long?" Kana complained.

No sooner had she spoken than one of the Temple doors opened just enough for Rei to walk out.  Rakka ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

At first Rei stiffened but then she relaxed into the embrace.  ‘This shows that she cares about my wellbeing...  It is… comforting.’

Rei decided she liked the feeling.  She now realized that to her sisters she was not "nothing" after all - she was one of the Haibane of Old Home.

"How was it?" Kana asked.

"It was not what I expected."

"How so?"

"I do not think I am allowed to say."

"Oh."

"Um…  Have you been punished?" Rakka asked.

"For an indefinite period of time I am not allowed to cross the stream except to visit the Temple."

"The stream?" asked Kana.

"It was the most convenient demarcation.  The intention is to bar me from going into town."

"You’re not allowed to go into Glie?" asked Rakka.  "What about your job?"

"The Communicator said that if the library decides to send me work, then I am to do it.  I am also to help Sister Nemu and our Housemother with the Little Feathers as needed.  If my overall workload decreases then my ability to use my notebook will be curtailed accordingly."

Kana frowned.  "Oh, man…  That old geezer...  That’s going to make things a lot harder for you.  How’re you supposed to get stuff you need?"

"I will have to rely on my sisters."

"We can get things for you," said Rakka.  "Right, Kana?"

The tomboy smiled slightly.  "Yeah.  No problem.  That’s what we’re here for."

Rakka smiled broadly and hugged Rei again.  "I’m so glad you’re alright!  I was really worried what might happen to you."

Rei surprised both her sisters and herself by returning the hug.  "Why were you worried?" she asked.  "Did you think I would be harmed?"

"We didn’t know what to think," Rakka admitted.  "All the rest of us were scared for you."

"Is that so?" Rei asked Kana.

Kana nodded.

"But, as you can see, I am fine," Rei said to Rakka as they broke their embrace.  "The Communicator would never hurt an Haibane, would he?"

"No," Rakka concluded after thinking the question over for a moment.  "No, he wouldn’t."

"In the end he does what he does solely for our protection.  You of all people should have known that.  After all, are you not are close to him?"

Embarrassed, Rakka blushed.  "You’re right.  I should have known that, but this whole thing’s been so out-of-the-ordinary that none of us had any idea what might happen to you."

"And he has made your life a lot more difficult," Kana reminded Rei.

"With your help I do not think it will be a problem."

Rakka took one of Rei’s hands in hers.  "I’m sorry, but I have to go into work now.  I’ll see you back home tonight.  I hope you’ll be alright."

"I will be fine," Rei reassured her.  "I am fine."

Rakka waved and then disappeared through the Temple doors.

"Come on," said Kana.  "I’ll take you home."

"Are you not already late for work?"

"Eh, they’ll manage.  You’re more important."

As they headed down the path Kana said, "We wanted to try to help you but things didn't work out."

"How so?"

"We tried to get Ikari to come up here as a witness, but he wouldn't come, the bastard."

"He would not come?"

"No.  The jerk.  I went to get him from the Factory on my scooter but he wouldn't budge.  He just cried and blubbered."

"I see."

"Next time we cross paths I'll kick his ass."

"That would probably get you into trouble."

"Yeah, but it'll be really satisfying."

"I do not want him to come to harm.  Besides, his presence would have made no difference."

"Oh?  Why not?"

"The Communicator and the Chief Constable did not doubt my version of the events."

"Then why were you punished?"

"I did harm the boy unnecessarily, even if it was in self-defense," Rei lied as she had been instructed to.

Kana was smart enough to realize that Rei was not being completely honest, and that there had to be details she was not allowed to mention.  She wondered what they could possibly be.

"Well, don't worry about a thing," she then said cheerfully.  "The rest of us will make sure you're okay!"

Rei smiled her small smile.  "I am fortunate to have such sisters."


That night Ikari was again dreaming.  However, instead of his cocoon dream this one was nothing more that swirling clouds of vivid red and purple punctuated by voices.  Sometimes one color and voice would predominate, sometimes the other.

Red.

"You're an idiot!" a girl's voice yelled.

Purple.

"You can do it!" a woman said.

Red.

"You're useless!"

Purple.

"Do it or leave."

This went on and on until:

Red.

"Pathetic little boy!"

**Smack**

Ikari woke up and his hand went his cheek, still sore from Kana's slap.


Author’s Notes:

Once again Rei has problems because she is different.  This time, however, her environment is a caring and supportive one.  How will that affect her?

Shinji's being, well, Shinji.  Kana's reaction is just the first response the other Haibane will have to his actions or lack thereof.  He's got rough sailing ahead.

But then, when doesn't he?

At least I finally figured out a way to work Asuka and Misato into the story.  Sort of.

Like chapter three, the next couple of chapters will again skip ahead a few months each to see how events have sorted themselves out. 

And, as a result, one Haibane's Day of Flight will come.

Version 2.0:  Some tweaks & dialogue revisions.