Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifice and Redemption ❯ Awakenings ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Haibaine Renmei Story

Sacrifice and Redemption

By dennisud

Disclaimers:Haibaine Renmei and all related characters, concepts, etc., is property of Geneon¨ Entertainment.

This is a "what if" story so keep that in mind as you read, plus a bit of knowledge of the anime series would definitely be helpful. The story happens approximately at the end when Rika's accent, and when the twin cocoons are found.


AN: I'm trying a new and different story, so I can break the writer's block I've had with my other stories. I do hope this story becomes a favorite of yours and I hope of mine as well. Thanks again to Datexan for his Prereading skills!

dennisud

Chapter One: The Arrival

Rakka's POV:

I still wonder why these two are so different. From what the others have told me cocoons usually gestate for about three days. Yet, The time between the twin cocoons gestation and the previous ones has been almost double. It makes me think that these will be different from your ordinary Haibaine. Of course, we are not normal by human standards, but even for us this is unusual.

Even Kana has been muttering some as we all have been distracted by the slow development of the cocoons. She says that they "have to get it over with already". Though this is normal for her, given the job she has; it's still not something that I wouldn't have expected.

Nemu, our resident mother hen has been tending the cocoons as much as I have which has eased my concerns that someone will be looking after them. I kind of have an urge now to keep an eye on them... like Reki did for me. Hikari told me that Reki had been there from when she first found my cocoon until I came bursting out. Later as we went through all our adventures, more like misadventures, I found out that the dark thoughts and feelings still within them could overwhelm even the most caring of Haibaine. Luckily, Reki with my help found her way and she left us a week ago.

I still miss her and I know I will always miss her. Yet I know she must have dealt with whatever darkness, rage or fear her previous life had given her. It's obvious now that we Haibaine are here and stay here for whatever length of time until we have dealt with our inner demons if you will.

This brings the whole idea of the mysteries still here in Glie. I'm still not sure why the others, mostly male Haibaine stay in the factory across town. Or why there are two separate and distinct groups of Haibaine, whom I still have not heard if they ascend as we do at the time of the calling.

I seem to worry too much as time goes by, but I do know that there is another world out there, thatÕs different from what we have here. And, given the experiences I've had so far it seems that we Haibaine have to continue our journey of self examination and renewal to attain that goal, the goal of leaving and starting a new life. I know that is what awaits us. So I sit and wait till the twins arrive to help them through what I've gone through, and hopefully to help myself in my journey as they start theirs.

Having finished writing down her thought, she then closed my journal. Keeping a journal was a suggestion from a now departed Reki; Ôshe wanted me to write down a daily account of my life among the Haibaine and my stay in Glie,Õ she thought to herself as she looked at the book. It was then that she remembered that sheÕd have to get both of the new arrivals the wing bells to communicate with the Toga, but that would come later. As for right now, she needed to get clothes ready for them and with Nemu's help have a room ready for both.

She felt that she should help them even though it was Nemu's job now to look after the younger "Feathers" and welcome the Newborn Haibaine into this world.

As I was thinking of this a loud cry from the wing of rooms where the cocoons were located. I quickly ran to their room. (huh?) I found Nemu winded and slightly shaking as we both looked at the now pulsing cocoons. We knew the time had come. As Nemu ran to get the others, I went and carefully patted each cocoon to hopefully sooth the expectant Haibaines inside. Then as the others arrived, a great ripping sound, almost in stereo was heard.

Then after the quick deluge of the cocoons contents, two bodies lay on the floor directly in front of the now disgorged carapaces. Both seemed to have brown hair, yet it was quite obvious that one was a male. Both looked very much alike. Slowly as we stepped toward the prone bodies, they all gasped!

Both of the newborns already had wings! Both sets were already the same size as our own developed wings. This confused us. Then a second look made them all even more apprehensive. The girl had bright white wings as pure as a new sheet of snow, almost glowing in the semi-darkness of the room.

But what worried Kana and I the most, were the boy's wings. They were a stark and direct contrast to his twins. They were as black as a moonless night, yet they too seemed too have an ethereal glow.

The wings reminded me ofÉ crow's wings, but bigger.

"What theÉ" Kana said pointing at them as they all encircled the still unconscious children.

"It seems, they're a bit É different," Hikari added.

I knew then and there that these two newcomers would have some sort of connection to my dream as I entered the Haibaine's world.

'Different?' thought Rakka, 'Yet, maybe they are here for a reason.'

How different, and for what reason? They would find out soon enough!

Chapter 2: HaibaineÉor not?

AN: For this story I'm keeping it short, around 2-3 pages using Microsoft Word¨. So it can slowly help me restart my writing. Please I'm in need of a prereader as it has been so long since I've published a story. So e-mail me to let me know. Also I'd like to again thank Datexan for all his prereading help, and anyone who wants to please let me know and I'll add you to my prereader list!

dennisud