Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Dream of the amazing dancer Sandy ❯ Three weeks ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Later on in the sunset Sandy was walking over a bridge heading for home and looked and her reflection in the water.

Sandy: It's funny, today was pretty cool. Very cool actually, I hope I make the school production.

She then saw the was down and it was getting late-

Sandy: Oh I better get home, I'm already late!

She quickly ran off the bridge and headed for home just as the streetlights came on. She made it home with seconds to spare and left her bag by the shoe mat.

As she entered the kitchen she went to the fridge and started gathering the things she needed for dinner-

Sandy: I almost forgot I've got dinner duty tonight. Luckily we haven't had my special Portobello-Provolone sandwiches in awhile.

Once she had all she needed and started making small oval loafs of bread with dough she made the other day and had kept in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap, she then scored them, put an egg wash on top and put them in the oven to bake. She then started to slice both slabs of cheese round slices.

Next she then took a bowl of leftover fish and ground it into a paste with a food processor, she added cumin, salt and a little turmeric. She started chopping onions when she the phone ring-

Sandy: Oh, I wonder who that could be.

She carefully put down the knife and raced over to the phone and picked it up-

Sandy: Hello? Oh hi Aunt Lucy!

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: Is that my one and only sunflower blossom?

Sandy: It sure is! How've you been, you haven't called in ages.

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: I know, bad fault on my part. How's everyone doing?

Sandy: It's been fine; dad's staying an extra hour at work which is 2 hours less than last year though just a couple nights ago he took half the night shift. Stan's his usual self if not a little taller and as for me I'm practicing for the school dance production.

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: That's great dear. I see that you've taken up dance again?

Sandy: Yes I have, I've always kept up my practice I just never performed publicly for years. Now I'm regaining the courage to begin again.

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: Good for you, never give up! You hold the pride and soul of our dance moves that have passed through the Miratashi family for generations. Though it skipped a generation when it came to your father. He may not be much of a dancer but he was always a hard worker and he's done well for himself raising the best niece and nephew an aunt could ask for.

Sandy: Oh stop, you're embarrassing me!

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: Well it's all true, hey is your father or Stan I haven't from them in so long as well.

Sandy: Well neither of them are home at the moment which is surprising because Stan's supposed to be grounded.

(Over the phone) Aunt Lucy: What's happened this time?

Sandy: You're not going to believe, it all starts like a pretty routine day-

Soon after the call she finished her great sandwiches and the bread was all nice and toasty with a crunch, after she finished hers she left a note for her brother and father that they have dinner and just might need to warm it up and left for her room.

Taisho and Stan made it home around the same time and had another one of their talks in the kitchen-

Taisho: How could you. You knew that you were supposed to come straight home after school.

Stan: I know but at lunch I met this guy who I connected with, he asked me to come see if I would be interested in music class so I tried it out. The teacher thinks I'm great and wants me in.

Taisho: But the class was over by 4:40, where were you after that?

Stan: I was afraid to come home if you were there first, I'm sorry but at least I have an elective now, and I take it you didn't get any calls from my teachers?

Taisho: Well no and no messages either, well just this once I'll let it slide but everyday for the rest of the week you come straight home after music class understood?

Stan: Yes sir.

Taisho: Good, now let's warm these up.

He went to the plate of 2 sandwiches on the table and warmed them up-

Taisho: I just love when your sister makes her special Portobello-Provolone sandwiches. She usually only makes them on picnics.

So the father and son greatly enjoyed their dinner and Stan went in more detail about his day, later on at night Taisho was heading upstairs for bed he peeks in Sandy's room where she was fast asleep on the floor. He enters inside quietly and looked to see a flyer for the school dance production.

Taisho: I see, she's practicing hard for this, good for her-

He then carefully picked her up and popped her into bed and tucked her in all snug, he gave her a kiss and said-

Taisho: Good night my prima ballerina.

He then slowly and quietly left the room and closed the door, he then heard some music coming from Stan's room and goes to investigate. He cracks the door open a tad to see Stan was practicing for tomorrow music class. He had his songbook on a music stand-

Stan: Can't give up, just a little bit longer.

His father was touched, he knew Stan had been practicing for years but this was the first time he was so serious about his playing. He gently closed the door and head for his bedroom.

We then see an aerial shot of the Miratashi house very early in the morning-

(Narrating) Sandy: Well three weeks have passed and things have gone smoothly for everyone, though things are starting to get a little bizarre.

It was a quiet Saturday morning and Sandy was in the kitchen helping her father prepare breakfast-

Sandy: Well what do you know; it's the third Saturday this school year already. Time sure flies.

Taisho: Speaking of time, you say Aunt Lucy called a while ago?

Sandy: Yeah. She wanted to know how the family's doing.

Taisho: That's my sister all right; out of everyone else in the family she worries about us the most even though she doesn't call often and visits occasionally.

Sandy: Well now that she's retired she's making use of her freedom, I guess you can't wait for that day too.

(Chuckles) Taisho: Well I admit sometimes I feel that way but I love things just the way they are. Though I would mind a raise in my paycheck.

Sandy: I suppose things don't always have to change.

Taisho: What's that you're saying?

Sandy: I was just thinking of something mom used to say.

It got silent as Taisho began to plate everything up-

Sandy: I remember in this very kitchen she grasped my shoulders and said that while we often long for things we can be happy with whatever if we try.

After the table was all set and started to wash the dishes-

Taisho: I remember your mother was one for metaphors; she even made up a few of her own. When ever I'm really stressed I always think of that one. Which reminds me your open house is next Friday right?

Sandy: Yeah, also on Monday I'll find out my part in the school production. I hope I get a good part.

Meanwhile outside on the back porch Stan played his sparkling dark mahogany guitar.

(Thinking) Stan: It's still not right; I must keep striving for perfection.

Just then Sandy came out on the porch to fetch her brother for breakfast.

Sandy: Breakfast is ready now.

(Still playing) Stan: I can't, I'm too busy.

Sandy: You have to eat; can't you put that down for a little while?

He then placed his guitar down and said-

Stan: All right, but just a little something.

So they head inside to join their father for a nice breakfast, later on Sandy decided to go for a bike ride into town.

Through the city streets the air was musked with the crisp fall air and the pigeons were flying overhead the tall buildings, by now Sandy had arrived at the rhinestone and was chaining her bike nearby.

Sandy: This was an inspired idea, besides its always busy here Saturdays. T.W will need some help-

After she chained her bike at the rack she quickly made her way inside, just as she thought it was full of activity as she made her way into the kitchen, T.W was in the kitchen struggling to keep up with the orders.

Sandy: Overworked again I see?

T.W: Oh Sandy, I'm glad you're here. Can you help with this rush?

Sandy: Sure, don't I always?

So with her help T.W was able to get back on track and by 12:30 the rhinestone was empty and would stay that way until late tonight. T.W had enough strength to make some fresh, cool lemonade and warm cookies for himself and his helper to enjoy.

(Pours the lemonade into glasses) T.W: Ahh, nothing like a well deserved lunch for some really hard work.

Sandy: Well I wouldn't exactly call cookies and lemonade a proper lunch.

T.W: You're right, we need something healthy too. Look under the bar, I think I have something there.

So she bent down under the bar and opened the little refrigerator and saw a plate of tomato sandwiches and pulled them out and sat down at the bar with T.W and enjoyed a nice meal-

(With mouth full) Sandy: Well it's sure nice to have some quiet in the afternoon for change. Oh it's great that it's Saturday, no school!

T.W: No customers, no money worries. At least until 8:00.

Sandy: Honestly T why don't you hire some help? I mean I'm glad to help you but I've got school and homework not to mention my social circle.

T.W: I know but between the upkeep of this place, bills and other expenses I can't afford to hire someone else. I only semi hired you because you insisted and in exchange I give you a discount and a small fee in exchange, which reminds me to pay you for this month.

Sandy: Don't bother it's on me.

T.W: Hey I may be struggling but I give payment where it's due-

He then went to his register and took out some seeds and placed them in a bag, he then closed up the register and gave it to Sandy-

T.W: There you are, just what agreed upon.

Sandy: I really can't.

T.W: I insist, not another word about it.

Sandy: All right, I guess I better get going.

T.W: Wait *collects the remaining cookies and places them in a box* take the rest of these. I'm sure your father will enjoy them.

(Chuckles) Sandy: That's an understatement, thanks.

Outside the air was a little chilly but it didn't bother Sandy much as she placed the box of cookies inside her basket and undid the chain on her bike-

Sandy: Well I'll see you later!

T.W: Sure thing.

And with that she pushes off and rode away, T.W then closed the door to the rhinestone and locked it and switched to the open side to the closed side. He looked up to see it was 1:00 PM on the town clock.

T.W: Well I've got 7 hours; I think I'll take a walk.

Meanwhile Sandy had returned home and parked her bike out back, she went inside through the back door and into the living room-

Sandy: I'm back!

She was then befuddled to find her father franticly cleaning the living room. He had dusted the walls and furniture, vacuumed the area rug and now he was hand scrubbing the floors wearing an old apron.

Taisho: Hi sweetie, please wipe your feet on mat.

Sandy: What's with the cleaning spree, you usually start Sunday.

Taisho: Well I have a client coming today and I want the place to look nice.

Sandy: Anything I can do to help?

Taisho: Just being the tea and cookies from the kitchen and place them on the table.

Sandy: Sure.

She quickly enters the kitchen and takes the platter and moves it in to the living room and remembered to wipe her feet first.

(Lands it gently on the table) Sandy: There you go sir. Anything else.

Taisho: Oh that's fine thanks, oh if you could move that bucket into the bathroom.

Sandy: All right.

Outside the Miratashi residence the client had arrived and rang the doorbell. The door opens to find Taisho had finished just in time.

Taisho: Here you are, right on time.

He then noticed his apron was still on and quickly undid it and tossed it aside blushing a little, right then Sandy came back in-

Sandy: I put the bucket away dad; I heard the doorbell ring just now-

She then stopped in her tracks to find it was Mr. Wolfstien at the front door.

Sandy: Mr. Wolfstien, is that you?

Aaron: Oh Miss Miratashi, I thought this seemed odd.

Taisho: Oh you two know each other?

Aaron: Yes, I'm Sandy's homeroom teacher at school. I see you're her father.

Taisho: Yes I'm Taisho Miratashi, please come inside.

Soon after they sat on the floor in front of the low table enjoying cookies and tea laid out.

(Sips) Aaron: Ah, nothing like a nice cup of tea to relax the senses, and you say you make this from scratch?

Taisho: Yes well, I'm not a stickler for convenience products. I hope the cookies turned out as well.

Aaron: Oh yes they're great as well, you have lovely home.

Taisho: Thanks, we try.

Aaron: I sure wish I could have the square footage you have; anyway did my request go through all right?

Taisho: Yes, my team and I will start work sometime next month.

Sandy: To do what?

Taisho: Oh didn't I tell you, Mr. Wolfstien asked to build an extension to his home and he sent his request through me to the main office.

Aaron: I greatly appreciate this, thanks for taking my request.

Taisho: No problem, that's my job after all.

Later on Mr. Wolfstien left the Miratashi residence and it was mid- afternoon. Taisho came upstairs and heard a beautiful sound that nearly startled him. His ears wiggled slightly in tune with the sound of a guitar ballad, he walked over to the door of Stan's room and knocked on the door-

(From inside) Stan: Come in.

Taisho entered the room to see Stan at the corner of his bed still practicing that ballad as he pulled out the chair fro m the desk and sat down.

Stan: I hope my practicing isn't bothering anyone.

Taisho: Not at all, it was nice. You've really improved.

Stan: You think so?

Taisho: Yeah, it's quite beautiful.

Stan: Beautiful?

Taisho: We're you going for a cool instead?

Stan: Oh no, beautiful fine.

Taisho: I see you've been practicing all day, you deserve a break. Why don't we go into the kitchen for some apple cider?

Stan: All right.

So off to the kitchen they go and get an ice cold pitcher of cider warmed slightly at room temperature.

Taisho: There's something I have to tell you, I know I've been hard on you these past few weeks and possibly these past few years. I'm sorry; I just don't want you to have to rough it like I did.

Stan: I know, and you were right to ground me. If the roles were reversed I'd have done the same thing.

Taisho: It's only because I want your future to be shining.

Stan: I know. Thanks.

Taisho then re-filled his glass and rose it in a toast-

(^^) Taisho: I say we propose a toast. You've have 3 weeks without a single complaint, you did your best and I amend you!

Stan: Oh? Yeah cheers!

He then raised his glass and they clink them together and enjoy.

Meanwhile in the city shopping district T.W was toting a large grocery bag with things for the rhinestone and home and could barely see where he was going-

T.W: Honestly, I think I splurged a little too much. I'll need a lot of customers to make up for this-

Then he bumped into someone and tripped spilling all his groceries -

T.W: Oh no the eggs!

The carton was about to splat on the floor when someone caught it. T.W looked up to see it was Hakeru.

(Blushing) T.W: Oh Hakeru, what a surprise.

Hakeru: Well I had some shopping to do, from the look of things I came just in time.

T.W quickly brought himself up and brushed himself off and started to pick up his groceries-

Hakeru: Are you sure you're alright?

T.W: Yeah I'm ok, my own fault for getting so much stuff at once.

Hakeru: Can I help?

T.W: Sure if you can.

So they get everything back in the bag and go over to the bike rack in front of the beauty parlor where Hakeru chained up her bike. She undid the chain and placed in the basket and placed the grocery bag inside and the two walked far from the bustling city.

Soon they reach T.W's house just over a hill and quite far from the city on the boarder into the country, T.W took the grocery bag and opened the door-

T.W: Thanks for coming all this way.

Hakeru: It's no trouble I liked it.

T.W: Why don't you come inside, maybe for a snack and to talk?

Hakeru: Sure why not?

Hakeru waits in the living room for quite some time, and then T.W emerges from the kitchen with some homemade chocolate bars and vegetable yakitori.

T.W: Here you are. I hope you like it.

Hakeru: I always enjoy your food-

She then takes a bite of the yakitori.

(^^) Hakeru: It's great!

T.W: Try the chocolate.

She takes a piece and bites savorly into it.

Hakeru: Wow it's like edible silk.

T.W: Thank you, I make it myself.

Hakeru: I've never seen it on the menu at the rhinestone.

T.W: It's not on the menu, it's too time consuming to make it in the batches required to sell. I just offer it to great friends.

Hakeru: Well it's worthy enough to be sold. I bet if you had more help you could make it easy.

T.W: I suppose, but that may never happen.

So the two friends conversed for what seemed like the whole weekend but really it was only 6 hours and by then it was very late and very dark and T.W walked Hakeru to the door-

Hakeru: Well I should get going, it'll be quite a trip back.

T.W: Are you sure I can't walk you home?

Hakeru: I'm sure, you'd have a long walk back. I'll be just fine.

T.W: Ok. See you at the rhinestone Monday then.

Hakeru then bowed and thanked him for the visit and left for home, deep into the city a half hour later and it started to rain violently.

Hakeru: Oh great and me without an umbrella!

She ran to keep from getting further drenched and fell onto the sopping wet pavement, she worried if she hurt and then someone helped her up-

Hakeru: Oh thanks, I thought I was a goner.

Then she looked closer to find it was T.W holding a red umbrella, soon after they walked under his umbrella to Hakeru's house. When Hakeru got to the door and turned her key in the lock-

Hakeru: Thanks for coming all this way, even though you didn't have to.

T.W: Well after I heard the weather report and looked outside I thought I should help out,

Hakeru: Well thanks, and I'll see you at the rhinestone, Same time, same place.

Then she went inside and closed the door and T.W with a coy smiled stepped off the porch and began his long walk home.