Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Magic School ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine
 
Chapter 3
 
Dean blinked, looking around in confusion at the opulent room he found himself in before remembering what had happened the day before. Dean sat up and stretched and then walked to the ensuite bathroom to take a quick shower and then dress. He opened the door to the hall and looked around and then opened the door to his right, smiling when he saw Sam curled up under a thick quilt. Slipping into the room he sat on the edge of Sam's bed, content to watch the kid sleep. A few minutes later Sam stirred and sleepy hazel eyes looked at him. Sam blinked and then sat up.
 
“Dean.” Sam said in shock and Dean grinned at him.
 
“Forgot I'm here?” Dean asked and Sam nodded sheepishly.
 
“It wouldn't be the first time it was a dream.” Sam admitted and Dean nodded, he'd had similar dreams of Sam being back over the last four years.
“I missed you.” Sam whispered and Dean moved so he was sitting with his back against the headboard, Sam curled up against him.
 
“Missed you too kiddo.” Dean told him and Sam smiled before frowning.
 
“What did Dad tell you about me being gone?” Sam asked and Dean sighed.
 
“He said you'd run away. I knew you hated hunting and moving around all the time and...it hurt. I looked for you everywhere we went. Dad refused to talk about you at all, I wanted to put out a missing persons report or something but he flat out refused to.”
 
“He made me leave immediately, kept the shotgun aimed at me the whole time I was grabbing my stuff. He looked at me like...you don't think I'm a monster, do you Dean?” Sam asked and Dean closed his eyes, easily able to see what sort of look John had been giving Sam the whole time the kid had been packing.
 
“No. I know I don't really get this magic thing yet but I do know you Sam. You could never be a monster.” Dean told him firmly and Sam smiled at him again. It felt kind of weird, being so open with his emotions but Harry had been right, Sam needed him to show the kid that he still loved him.
“You know when I told Bobby and Pastor Jim they panicked? Especially when you didn't show up on either of their doorsteps. Even Caleb's been keeping an eye out for you since I told him you were missing. We should go see them or something; you still get holidays with this apprentice thing right?”
 
“Yeah. Why do you think I'm not downstairs yet? Still on summer break. Are you sure they'll want to see me? What if....”
 
“Sam you know Bobby and Pastor Jim, they love you like you're theirs. Okay so you'll probably have to drink a gallon of holy water and all but it'll be okay.” Dean assured him and Sam nodded.
 
“Okay. I'll talk to Harry about it.”
 
“We can drive there; I've got the Impala now.” Dean told him and Sam grinned.
“So....wanna tell me what I've missed?” Dean asked and Sam settled more firmly against his side as he began telling Dean about his time in Magic School.
 
Bobby nearly fell as he dashed for the door upon hearing the familiar engine. John had called him over a week ago, saying that Dean had vanished, so hearing the Impala pulling into his yard had him hopeful yet wary. He grabbed the holy water and his shotgun before opening the front door, watching closely as Dean got out of the driver's side and then walked around the car to open the passenger door, leaning in to say something. Bobby nearly dropped his gun as he saw the dark haired teenager that slowly emerged. It couldn't be.....could it?
 
“Dean?” Bobby called out and the younger hunter grinned at him, throwing an arm around the teenager's shoulders, guiding him towards the house. When they got closer Bobby could see the fear in those familiar hazel eyes and it pulled at his heart. Why would Sam be scared of him? He tossed Dean the bottle of water and Dean opened it, taking a few mouthfuls before passing it to Sam who did the same. When neither reacted Bobby relaxed a bit.
“Sam? That really you kid?” Bobby asked and Sam nodded, moving towards him when Dean gave him a nudge. Sam stopped right in front of him and Bobby looked him over. Healthy and dressed in clean good quality clothes, at least he hadn't been on the streets for the last few years.
 
“Hey Bobby.” Sam whispered and Bobby reached out to yank him into a hug. Sam went stiff but then relaxed and hugged him back.
“M'sorry.” Sam murmured as Bobby let him go.
 
“Are you okay?” Bobby asked and Sam nodded. Dean walked up behind Sam and Bobby saw the kid relax further at having his brother so close.
“Where the hell have you been Sam? Five years without a word!” Bobby said and Sam backed into Dean who steadied him.
 
“Inside Bobby.” Dean said and Bobby stared at him before nodding. He watched closely as both Winchesters walked through the devil's trap he had drawn on the ceiling, confirming neither was possessed. Dean sat on the couch and Sam was instantly beside him, almost like he thought his brother would vanish or something. It didn't take a genius to see the kid was nervous, even scared but Bobby couldn't figure out why. Dean leant in and whispered something to Sam who shook his head and Dean said something else, getting a nod.
“Did Dad feed you that story about Sam running away or did he tell you something else?” Dean finally asked him and Bobby tensed. John had lied?
 
“He said Sam had run away. Guessing that's not what happened.” Bobby answered and Dean snorted in anger while Sam stared at the ground.
 
“More like Dad kicked him out at gunpoint.” Dean stated and Bobby's eyes went wide.
 
“He did what?” Bobby demanded angrily. What the hell had John been thinking, kicking an eleven year old out onto the street and to aim a gun at his own child? John better pray they didn't meet up again for a few years cause Bobby wasn't sure what he'd do to the other man if they did.
“He didn't hurt you did he?” Bobby looked at Sam who shook his head. It was pretty easy to see the kid wanted to be anywhere but in his living room and it hurt especially since Bobby didn't understand why Sam was scared of him.
“Sam I'm not gonna hurt you boy.” Bobby told him and Sam looked up at him and then at Dean.
 
“It'll be okay Sammy.” Dean assured him and Sam sighed.
 
“He did it cause of this.” Sam reached out and Bobby leant forward to take the crumpled...parchment? from Sam. He read it over and felt his anger at John growing again.
 
“That....that idjit! If he'd just called. Sam its okay, I know about Wizards, most hunters do and we leave them alone.” Bobby told him and Sam just stared at him in shock.
 
“You...you don't think I'm a monster?” Sam asked and Bobby stood, walked over to him and yanked him up, hugging him briefly.
 
“You're no monster boy. So you've been at Salem for the last couple of years? What about summer? Why didn't you call or write?” Bobby asked as he sat down again.
 
“I tried writing to Dean but the letters were returned unopened.” Sam said and Bobby turned to look at Dean.
 
“I never got them. Found out where Sam was by finding a letter to Dad in the garbage from his school.” Dean explained and Bobby nodded, glad the kid hadn't turned his back on his brother, even temporarily.
 
“So school's on break? You like it?” Bobby asked, grinning as Sam began to fully relax.
 
“Actually I've been withdrawn. That's why the letter was sent, to inform Dad that I was taken as an apprentice.” Sam explained and Bobby nodded.
 
“So you like this better than school?”
 
“Yeah. How much do you know about the Wizarding world?” Sam asked and Bobby frowned.
 
“I know you stay very well hidden and pretty isolated. And that there was some sort of war between wizards in Europe that ended recently.” Bobby answered and Sam nodded.
 
“The war had a lot to do with blood status and while it never actually spread to here there are a lot of people who supported one side or the other. Unfortunately the older, wealthy families mainly sided with what ended up being the losing side. Doesn't mean they've given up those ideals and most people won't stand against them. Unfortunately for me most of their children were in my year at school. They saw me as a penniless mudblood who had no right to be there, taxing more deserving families with my presence over the summer months since my family didn't want me.” Sam spat angrily and Dean wrapped an arm around his shoulders.
“My new Master was actually the first friend I made at school and he arrived several weeks into the last year from England. He...he just ignored everyone else and took me under his wing. First time I'd had new clothes in four years.” Sam murmured and Dean shut his eyes.
 
“This guy got a name?” Bobby asked.
 
“Harry James Potter-Black.” Sam answered and Bobby's eyes went wide.
 
“As in the kid that ended the war? So that's where he went. News from England is that he's missing.”
 
“He transferred to Salem to get away from the post-war publicity. He moved me into his room when some other students got a bit too...rough. He offered to make me a ward of his House or to take me as his apprentice when the year ended since he was graduating and I would have been alone again. I accepted the apprenticeship and moved into Harry's place.” Sam explained quietly and Bobby nodded.
 
“So what happens now?” He asked and Sam shrugged.
 
“Harry said Dean's welcome to stay with us and I'm sure you could visit if you want to.” Sam said, looking at Dean who nodded.
 
“So you gonna get a job?” Bobby teased Dean who snorted.
 
“Not really sure what I'm gonna do, except stick around for Sam. Kid's probably out of practise for hunting so I should get him back up to scratch, maybe we can do some weekend hunts around his studies.” Dean said and Sam smiled, glad Dean really was going to stay.
 
Bobby got out of his truck and waved as Jim walked towards him.
 
“Hey Jim, got a surprise for you.” He called out and Jim frowned only to stare as the Impala pulled up besides Bobby's truck and both front doors opened. He chuckled when Jim just stood and stared, his mouth part way open.
“Gonna swallow a fly.” He said and Jim's mouth snapped shut.
 
“Sam?” Jim called out and the teen nodded before running to him. Jim opened his arms and easily caught the lanky teen he hadn't seen in over five years.
“I feared the worst.” Jim whispered and Sam sniffled softly.
 
“I'm sorry.” The teen whispered and Jim pulled back to look him over, happy that Sam appeared very healthy.
 
“It's all right, I'm just glad you're okay....you are okay, aren't you?” Jim asked and Sam nodded.
 
“I'm fine.” Sam assured him as Dean joined them. Jim reached out and clasped Dean's hand.
 
“This is a brilliant surprise Bobby. Come on inside, you must be hungry.” Jim urged the two boys inside before turning to Bobby and raising an eyebrow.
 
“They showed up on my doorstep three days ago. Dean found Sam a few weeks ago...okay he actually found his contact details. Jim....John lied to us all, Sam didn't run away. John kicked him out at gunpoint when Sam got an acceptance letter for Salem.” Bobby said and Jim's eyes went wide as he looked towards his house.
 
“He's a wizard?” Jim asked and Bobby nodded.
“Are you saying John kicked him out because of that?”
 
“Apparently he's never run into their world and just assumed that meant Sam was like the witches we hunt. From what little the boys have said Sam hasn't had the easiest of times since then. Dean only found out by finding a letter in the trash from the school.” Bobby explained as they walked back to the house.
 
“Poor kid. Planning to `talk' to John?” Jim asked and Bobby nodded grimly.
“Count me in.”
 
TBC...