Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Magical Twilight ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
Please vote in the pairing poll up on my ffnet profile. I'll probably pick from one of the top three so get your vote in! So far the most popular suggestions for Harry's forms are panther, fox and surprisingly squirrel.
 
 
Chapter 2
 
Jasper stared at Charlie as the man made coffee. He felt...awkward sitting in the Swan kitchen with Bella's family. He'd never been inside the house before and now he'd spent several hours in Bella's room with her and now he was faking drinking a glass of water in her kitchen with her father. He needed to hunt but he couldn't leave until Charlie was done with him. His own emotions were all over the place and what he was getting off the sleeping Bella and Charlie was not helping his control. He couldn't believe Edward had been so callous in his treatment of the girl Jasper knew he loved.
 
“How....how have you been since...” Charlie started and Jasper nearly jumped at the sudden sound.
 
“I stayed with some old friends down south.” Jasper explained and it was the truth, Peter and Charlotte had been all too happy to give him a place to stay.
“It was too hard, staying with the family without her.” Jasper explained and Charlie nodded.
“Chief Swan what happened?” He wanted to get Charlie's take on the situation so he'd know how much the man knew.
 
“I don't know. Your family threw Bella a Birthday party and I think something happened. She was agitated when she got home and she's been on edge the last few days but she wouldn't talk about it. I got home today...yesterday I guess and found the note. I waited but when she didn't come back I called out a search party. You found her and know the rest. Thank you for that, if you hadn't been out there I don't know when we would have found her.”
 
“It's no problem Chief Swan. Bella did not deserve whatever my brother said or did. Edward can be very...stubborn. Bella told me there was an accident at the party, brotherly shoving that got out of hand and she was pushed into the table with glass plates. Add that to her fall in phoenix that Edward blamed himself for and Edward would see it as him putting her continually in danger. It may not make sense to us but Edward...Bella was his first girlfriend.”
 
“Doesn't mean I won't shoot him if he comes round again.” Jasper smiled slightly and nodded, he couldn't blame Charlie for being protective of his daughter.
“Will you be staying in Forks or following your family?”
 
“I'll be staying. I need to look the house over, hopefully they didn't pack my belongings. I'm eighteen so I don't need a guardian. I'll go back to school to finish since I missed the end of last year.”
 
“That will put you in Bella's year. Don't...don't get too close unless you really plan on staying. I don't want her hurt by two Cullen's.” Charlie threatened.
 
“Alice was my life sir and Bella was her best friend. She'd find a way back from the dead to kill me herself if I hurt Bella. We both need a friend right now.”
 
“Good. You can take the couch for what's left of the night. I don't want you driving this late.”
 
“I'll be fine Chief.”
 
“Humour me.” Jasper nodded and went to make up a bed on the couch for show.
 
------------------------------------
Harry frowned as he looked over the shelves. He could feel people staring and gossiping about him, he'd always been overly aware of when people were looking at him and the war had just made that ability stronger. Though he had overheard another piece of gossip, apparently the police chief's daughter had been dating a Cullen and he hadn't exactly let her down gently when the family moved. She'd been found hours later in the woods. If he'd known what was going on he would have helped, he'd gone into the Forbidden Forrest enough that he was a fair navigator in the trees. But he lived far enough out that the commotion hadn't reached him. Maybe he should have looked for a place closer to town? No, he needed the space.
 
And he was starting high school the next day. Surrounded by the press of teenagers, he would need the sanctuary of the forest to relax and let go of his wartime instincts. Oh yes, school was going to be such fun when he was constantly looking to be attacked. Could he relax enough to even try and make friends here? No, he would not let the past rule his life, he was going to make friends and he was going to enjoy a whole boring year of high school. He hoped.
 
----------------------------------------
“Good morning Bella.” She stumbled on the stairs slightly in surprise but then looked up and smiled slightly at Jasper.
 
“Hey.” She answered, heading for the kitchen.
 
“Are you alright?” He asked, following her.
 
“You're the empath, you tell me.” She shot back, not worried since Charlie had already left for work. Jasper sighed and sat down at the kitchen table.
 
“You don't have to bury your pain Bella. What Edward did was cruel and dangerous but I know he loved you. I felt it, felt him fight it at first and then slowly give in after the van incident. And I can feel how much you returned that love.” Jasper pushed, knowing she couldn't just shove those feelings deep down and ignore them, not without consequences.
 
“It's...” She trailed off, hands gripping the counter tight enough for her knuckles to go white.
“It's not just him. They left without saying goodbye. Carlisle and Esme and Emmett and Rosalie, I didn't see any of them after my Birthday. They said they loved me! That we were family and they just...”
 
“Abandoned you.” He finished and she nodded, trying not to cry.
“Wait...Rosalie?” He questioned, surprised. Rosalie had never tried to hide her feelings toward Bella so what could have changed.
 
“Yeah, when...when we came back from Phoenix she apologised, started hanging around more. Edward said that I'd impressed her...during the fight.” The last bit was a painful whisper and Jasper swallowed, trying not to wallow in the pain those memories caused.
 
Seeing his beautiful Alice like that made the pain feel so fresh again, like it hadn't been nearly a year since Victoria had killed her. But Rosalie seeing Bella in the fight? And then he remembered something he'd been too rage consumed to notice at the time. Despite being in agony from James' venom Bella had dragged herself across the studio floor to grab onto Victoria's leg and try to stop her from hurting Alice.
 
If only they'd had more warning. They'd been handling James fine until Victoria had shown up out of nowhere and attacked Alice. Rosalie and Esme hadn't been far behind and it had been Rosalie that had tried to avenge Alice but Victoria had been too quick, running while she had the chance. Esme had gone straight to Bella to try and help her, Carlisle quickly joining her as the nomads were subdued. He knew Edward had managed to suck the venom out of Bella's wound and then there had been the heat of the fire, the mad rush to get Bella to a hospital and then he had run. Unable to deal with their grief on top of his own he had run until he had found himself outside of Peter's place.
 
He'd finally decided to come back to Forks but hadn't been ready to see any one yet. That was why he had been in the forest. He'd heard people shouting for Bella and had become worried when he'd felt their panic. Luckily he had picked up on her emotions and scent very quickly. Seeing her like that had hurt. It had also made him very curious as to where his family was but then he'd heard her whispering `he's gone' over and over and he had had a very bad feeling. Sure enough Edward had been an idiot again.
 
Jasper couldn't believe his brother had been so cruel to the girl he loved. And there was no way Edward could have fallen out of love with her so quickly. He could feel how badly Edward had crushed her with whatever he had said to break it off. It would take time for her to recover, if she ever fully did.
 
“What did Edward say Bella?” He asked softly, sending out gentle waves of calm.
 
“He said he was bored, tired of pretending to be human. That I was a distraction and he'd find another one quick enough. Made me promise not to do anything stupid for Charlie's sake. It hurts so much Jasper. I love him!”
 
“I know.” He hesitantly reached out to her and she flung herself into his arms, clinging to the offered comfort. His control was holding though he doubted he'd be able to handle it if she bled, he didn't blame Emmett for attacking when she did though he knew Emmett would blame himself for nearly hurting his little sister.
“Do you want to skip today?” He finally asked and felt her shake her head against his chest.
 
“Gossip'll be bad enough today.” She whispered.
 
“Okay. Go get ready and I'll drive you.”
 
“What will you do all day?” She asked, drying her eyes and standing.
 
“I'll be working on getting re-enrolled. We'll be in the same grade since I missed too much last year.” He took a deep breath before offering, not sure how much she would want him around.
“I could see how many classes I can get the same as yours? If you want.” He looked at her and she actually smiled slightly as she nodded.
 
“I'd like that.”
 
“Alright then, go get ready.” He couldn't help grinning as he heard her trip slightly on the stairs.
 
-------------------------------
Jasper walked beside Bella towards her first class. He was going to drop her off there before heading to the office. Everyone in the parking lot was staring at them until the rumble of an approaching motorcycle caught their attention. He turned with Bella as the bike pulled in and parked. The leather and denim clad rider stretched and then removed his helmet revealing shoulder length black hair, pale skin and piercing emerald eyes. Jasper could hear the many female gasps as the teen got off his bike and grabbed a backpack. He wasn't as tall as any of the Cullen males but he had a runner's lithe build and almost feminie features. All in all was a very fine looking young man and Jasper was almost overwhelmed by the lust pouring off all the female and even some of the male students.
 
For one second emerald met topaz and widened in shock before moving on. Jasper frowned in confusion as he felt the human's emotions. Shock, concern and then forced relaxation. He watched the boy walk towards the office and realised why the way he moved seemed familiar. He moved like a soldier, like someone expecting an attack at any moment, the same way Jasper himself often walked. Who was he? Not for the first time Jasper almost wished for Edward's gift.
 
Harry turned his bike off and yanked his helmet off. He tightened his mental shields as he slowly dismounted and grabbed his backpack. He could feel the stares and whispers and felt himself tense as he looked over the parking lot. He froze as topaz eyes met his. Vampire. He noticed the girl next to him was human and seemed to know him well so he forced himself to ignore the vampire and move on. Topaz was the sign of an animal eater after all but he would keep an eye out none the less. He took a deep breath and headed for the office. So much for thinking the school year would be normal and boring.
 
TBC...