Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Tempest Mage ❯ A Boy Lost and Then Found ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: As much as I may want to claim ownership of these two productions, I can’t because both Harry Potter and X-Men: Evolution belong to a whole lot of different companies that I can’t remember the names of at the moment. Any characters that appear in this fic that are not a part of either original series, belong to me so don’t take them without asking first.

Timeframe: The X-Men: Evolution part of the timeline takes place fourteen years before the start X-Men Evolution, and Harry will be two years younger than Kurt and Rogue who are both three at this time, and during what would have been Harry’s fifth year at Hogwarts.

Summary: [(X-MenEvo crossover)] What if, Harry Potter was abandoned by the Dursley’s and was shipped off to an orphanage the same day he arrived on their doorstep, and was later adopted by a certain blue skinned shape shifter?

Glossary:
§§ §§” - Parseltongue

Tempest Mage
Chapter 1: A Boy Lost and Then Found
By: Sakura Lisel
======================================

~-July 24, 1995, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry-~

It was close to midnight in Hogwarts, and Albus Dumbledore was wide awake and not a very happy man.

In fact, he was livid. It has been nearly fourteen years since the fall of Lord Voldemort at the hands of Harry Potter, and the disappearance of the Wizarding world’s savior. Everyone in the magical community was searching for the Boy Who Lived after his disappearance from his relatives household on the morning of November 1, 1981, after the Dursley’s had taken him to an orphanage and abandoned him there instead of taking him in and raising him as they had been expected to do.

Five months after he’d left Harry Potter with his muggle relatives, Albus had just come back from a trip abroad in time to get a fire call from Mrs. Figg, an elderly woman, who was a Squib, who was supposed to be keeping an eye on young Harry Potter for him while he was at his relatives home, since she was already living in that location, and it had recently come to her attention that Harry Potter wasn’t even living at his relatives household.

It had been nearly two months since Potter had been left at his relatives household, and she had never once seen the boy even before the Dursley’s had left on their vacation, and since nothing out of the ordinary seemed to be happening at the Dursley household, she had decided that they must have been keeping him indoors for some reason.

Further investigation later turned out that two weeks after abandoning Harry, the Dursley’s had taken off to visit Vernon’s sister and take care of her after she had taken a nasty spill in her home that left her with a broken leg, and had been away from four and a half months.

Mrs. Figg still hadn’t reported anything because she had thought that the Dursley’s had taken Harry with them on their trip, and had thought the boy would be safe for the time being. When the family finally returned from their trip, she had gone over under the pretense of welcoming them back home and had only saw signs of one child being with the Dursleys, and had immediately rushed back to her home to report it to Albus.

As soon as he heard what she had to say, he’d rushed over to the Dursley’s house to find out for himself what had happened to the boy. After ringing the doorbell, Petunia was the one to answer the door, and after telling her that he was there to check up on Harry Potter, her face had turned red as shrieked at him saying that there was no one by that name living there, and told him to leave before she called the police before slamming the door in his face, and locking it.

It had taken a simple flick of his wand to get the door open again, and Albus had let himself inside to find Petunia rushing towards a nearby playpen where an infant boy who looked like he was the size of a beach ball was screaming for attention.


~-Flashback~-

“What the hell do you think your doing?!” Petunia screeched as she spun around on her heel after hearing the front door open and close only to see the wizard who she’d shut the door on striding towards her, as she stood in front of the playpen protectively, “I won’t stand for this!! This is breaking and entering, and you freaks think you can get away with anything just because you have magic...”

“Mrs. Dursley, I’ll advise you to calm down for the time being,” Albus said calmly as he looked around at the cozy looking home, before turning his gaze back on the younger woman as she glared hatefully back at him, “All I want to know is where your nephew is and check on his well being, then I’ll be on my way. My name is...”

“Don’t bother, I remember exactly who you are. You’re the headmaster,” Petunia snapped as she glared angrily at Dumbledore as she gave his choice in cloth a pointed disapproving look filled contempt before she turned her gaze turned back up to look at him, “of that freakish magic school my sister went to when we children. This family went downhill, ever since her acceptance letter came”

A slight frown creased Albus’s features as he listened to Petunia’s ranting for a few seconds before he started to lift a hand to silence her, when the sound of thudding footsteps could be heard coming from upstairs, moments before a lumbering overweight man came downstairs, as he eyed first his wife then the stranger with a critical eye.

“Pet, what’s going on down here? I could hear you yelling from all the way upstairs?” Vernon demanded as he turned an accusing look at the elderly man, “And who the hell are you?! What are you doing in my house?!”

“This man is Albus Dumbledore, Vernon,” Petunia said with a scathing tone in her voice, speaking up before Albus could answer for himself, as she glared at Dumbledore angrily as she sidled up next to her husband, “He runs that freak school my sister went to years ago. He’s here looking for the boy.”

“Oh really? Then your too late, Dumbledore, cause the boy doesn’t live here. We got rid of him a long time ago,” Vernon said as he turned his full attention on the older man as his expression hardened as he glared angrily at Albus, as his face started to turn red in his anger, “If you had shown up a few months ago, you could have taken him back.”

“He’s not living here? What do you mean by you got rid of him?” Albus demanded, his voice sounding incredulous as he stared at the woman before him, “Where is he, and what did you do with him?”

“You won’t be finding the brat around here, that’s for sure. He hasn’t lived in this house since the day you dumped him on our doorstep,” Petunia said with a smug look on her features as she stared back at Dumbledore with a defiant look on her face, as she turned away to go pick up Dudley out of his playpen, and balanced his ungainly form on her hip as she turned back to the men, “We sent the brat packing the very same day you left him here. We didn’t want him, so we dropped him off at an orphanage where his sort belongs.”

Albus was completely floored by this latest development as he stared incredulously at the woman before him as her words sunk in, as the twinkle in his glasses came to a screeching halt.

“Do the two of you even realize what you’ve done?!” Albus demanded as he continued to stare incredulously at the couple, “You’ve ruined everything!”

“We didn’t want the boy, and since none of you bothered to wait around to talk to us in person and ‘ask’ us if we’d take him in,” Vernon stated, as his features darkened a bit as he glared at Dumbledore as the sat in front of her, as he glanced worriedly at Petunia and Dudley, who had taken a seat next to him and had placed on her lap as she played with him to keep him quiet, “we would have flat out refused to your faces and handed him back to you. Since you left us with no other options, we took the only recourse we could see, by getting rid of him.”

“I don’t understand. Didn’t you read my letter that I left with him?” Albus demanded as he openly glared at Petunia as she stared back at him with a defiant look on her features, as she glanced worriedly at her husband for support, “It was imperative for his safety as well as your family’s own that he remain with you.”

“Vernon and I didn’t care. We never agreed to take the boy in. You freaks just assumed that we would and didn’t even bother to come check on him until now. Whatever goes on in that world of yours has nothing to do with us. I never wanted anything to do with my sister after she started going to your school. I cut off all ties with her, when our parents were murdered,” Petunia said, looked up from Dudley to look back at Dumbledore as he visibly fumed in his seat, as she shifted nervously in her own, as a determined look appeared on her features, “by your kind and she chose to stay with you freaks and continue to learn your unnatural way of life instead of honoring our parents memory by leaving it all behind. I wanted nothing more to do with any of you freaks and that includes taking in the child of my dead sister who probably would have grown up to be just like his parents.”

“I can’t believe that I didn’t foresee this happening. I knew of the animosity you seemed to harbor for Lily, but I didn’t think it would go so far to hold it against an innocent child,” Albus said as a frown appeared on his wizened features as a thoughtful look appeared on his features as he eyed the couple with a disapproving look, “I truly hoped that you wouldn’t pass judgment on her child, and take him into your home and raise him as your own, if not for his sake then for your families because of the protection words I had set up.”

“Well obviously you thought wrong, or else we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. I would have never let anything of Lily’s live in my house for any length of time, and besides even if I had taken him in,” Petunia said with smug look on her features as she stared over at Dumbledore, as her eyes narrowed a bit in thought as she continued speaking, “your stupid ‘blood protection’ spells probably wouldn’t have even worked here, so keeping him here would have been a waste of our time, and would have put my family in constant danger.”

“What do you mean the blood protection spells wouldn’t have worked?” Albus demanded, his eyes widened a bit at what she had just said, as a suspicious look appeared on his features, “Young lady, you know nothing about the workings of magic to make that kind of statement about the spell that was used, so why do you say it?”

“You said it yourself in that letter you left behind. The way I see it, in order for that blood protection spell of yours to work, Harry had to be related to my side of the family by blood, didn’t he?” Petunia said, as she turned her attention back on Dumbledore, then continued speaking as soon as the older man nodded his head in confirmation to her words, “Well then, there’s the problem with that little spell of yours. Lily may have been my sister, but we shared no blood between us. My parents adopted her into our family when she was a baby, so protecting him is not my responsibility.”

“I never heard of this before,” Albus stated, as shock filled his voice as he listened to Petunia’s explanation, paling slightly as he realized what it meant, “This is the first time I’m hearing about Lily being adopted.”

“I’m surprised that Lily didn’t tell you. Or that husband of hers for that matter. We didn’t find out that she was adopted, until shortly after our parents will was read,” Petunia said as she stood up from her chair, while hugging tightly onto Dudley, as she started walking towards the staircase, “and they confessed to the whole sordid secret that they’ve been harboring all these years. So it’s no skin off my back if that boy of hers is unprotected or not if it’ll keep my family alive.”

“We have more than enough problems to deal with ourselves, and we don’t need the added problem of raising one of you freaks,” Vernon said determinately, as he crossed his arms over his chest as he glowered once more at Dumbledore, “Since you left us no other option or a way to contact you, we only did as we saw fit with the boy as his appointed guardians. If he’s gotten adopted by now, he’s someone else’s problem now, so don’t expect us to take him back if you found him, because we won’t.”

~-End Flashback~-


It had taken awhile, but Albus had finally gotten Vernon to tell him what he knew about Harry’s current whereabouts, Albus had rushed to Lady Pembroke’s orphanage in hopes of retrieving Harry and returning with him to Hogwarts where he would try and figure out where to place the boy until he could convince the Dursley’s to take the boy in.

But by the time he reached the orphanage and given a description of the boy, he’d been informed that Harry had recently been adopted over a week earlier, and despite the arguments he had given the headmistress on the matter, he had been refused the information needed to find Harry in order to give him back to his rightful family.

Upon mentioning his old family, the headmistress had gotten angry at Albus had been given an earful by the headmistress of the orphanage about how Harry had been treated by his relatives, explaining away how she’d found him abandoned on the orphanages doorstep with just a note with his name and birth date.

She also informed him that even if Harry was still living in the orphanage she wouldn’t have let him go back to the Dursley’s, because she was sure that if they were so quick to abandon him one time, then they were sure to do it again, and proceeded to have Albus forcibly be escorted off the premises.

Once he had left Lady Pembroke’s, he apparated back to Hogwarts and called an emergency Order of the Phoenix meeting, something he’d been hoping to not have to do in a long time since Lord Voldemorts defeat five months earlier.

Within ten minutes, the entire Order had appeared for the meeting which was being held at Hogwarts. Since it was summertime and the school was closed for vacation, they held the meeting inside of the Great Hall, and Albus had proceeded to tell all of them about what had happened to Harry Potter, and they started making plans to start the search for the missing boy.

The wizarding world was in an uproar after the news of their saviors disappearance reached the presses, and everyone was still searching for signs that the Boy Who Lived would appear to save them in their time of need.

For the first seven years since his disappearance, the Ministry had been searching all over Europe fro any signs of the missing boy, but it seemed like Harry Potter had simply disappeared off the face of the Earth.

By the eighth anniversary of Harry’s disappearance rolled around, the newly appointed Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, had finally called a halt to their search for him, saying that they were wasting valuable resources searching for the boy, resources that could be used to deal with more important Ministry matters.

As far as Fudge was concerned, seven years was more than long enough for them to waste time and funds searching Harry Potter, insisting that the best of England’s Aurors couldn’t find the boy by now, then they weren’t going to find him anytime soon.

By the time what would have been Harry’s ninth birthday rolled around, Sirius Black was released with a full pardon from his false imprisonment at Azkaban, after his longtime friend Remus Lupin discovered that a former friend Peter Pettigrew who everyone had believed had been killed at Sirius Blacks hand along with thirteen Muggles and the betrayal of the Potter family, was still alive and hiding out in the Weasely household as a pet of one of the sons.

Remus had been visiting the Weasley’s with Dumbledore to discuss what they should do about Harry still being missing and what could be done to find him, when his sensitive nose picked up a familiar scent that he hadn’t smelled in years, just as Percy Weasely entered the dining room to get a snack from the kitchen with his pet rat, Scabbers, who was sleeping soundly on Percy’s left shoulder.

Remus had taken one look at ‘Scabbers’ and had instantly recognized the rodent as Wormtail, Peter Pettigrew’s animagus form, and had taken Albus and Arthur Weasely aside and told them what he had seen, and the trio set to work making a plan to try and take ‘Scabbers’ into custody.

Afterwards they managed to talk Percy into handing over Scabbers, and quickly stunned the rodent so he wouldn’t try and make a break for it, before casting a spell on him that changed Wormtail back into his human form in front of everyone.

Once he was revived, Peter had panicked and tried to talk his way out of what he had done, after being surrounded with everyone pointing their wands at him, he immediately confessed to everything, including switching Secret Keepers with Sirius and betraying the Potters to Lord Voldemort.

Remus immediately lit into him when he told them that he hadn’t had a choice, because Lord Voldemort had threatened his own life if he didn’t tell him where the Potters were hiding, and it had taken Severus, Arthur and Kingsley to hold down the enraged werewolf as he tried to pounce the rat and beat him within an inch of his life for betraying all of them.

Once Peter was taken away by Aurors, Remus had immediately broken down in tears as he realized that he’d been blaming the wrong man all these years for what another had done, and blamed himself for thinking the worse of Sirius, as Albus started making preparations to get Sirius released from Azkaban as soon as possible.

Two days later, a pale shaky looking, bedraggled Sirius Black was released from Azkaban shortly after Peter’s trial where he was force to confess everything again with Veritaserum, and was sentenced to the Dementor’s Kiss by the jury.

Once Sirius was cleared of Peter’s crimes, he was awarded back all of his families titles and access to his Gringotts family bank vaults, along with a 500,000 galleons compensation fee for the years he’d had to endure at Azkaban because of their mistake.

Once he was Sirius was released from Azkaban, he was instantly transported to St. Mungo’s where he was give a checkup and went through psychiatric evaluation to find out just how badly damaged he was after spending nine years in Azkaban and came out with a clean bill of health, much to everyone’s surprise.

As soon as he was out of St. Mungo’s, Sirius started demanding to know where Harry was, and how soon could they go and get him and bring him home for him to raise, and it was then that he learned that his godson was missing.

Since then, Sirius has been pooling in all of his resources to find Harry, and learn about his whereabouts so he could bring him home where he belonged. Both him and Remus went on trips together to follow up on any leads that came up on possible Harry sightings, but all of them turned out to be false.

When it came time for Harry to come to Hogwarts, everyone in the wizarding world waited with bated breaths, as they waited for news that the Boy Who Lived, or whatever name he was going by now, had accepted his Hogwarts letter and would be coming to school only to have their hopes dashed, as every single Owl that was sent out with Harry’s acceptance letter returned within ten to fifteen minutes with the letters unopened.

Four years went by with still no sign of the Boy Who Lived, as more and more acceptance letters were sent out to Harry Potter, only to have them all returned unopened. One Owl that had been sent out had actually taken a lot longer than the others to come back after flying off in no particular direction, but it was back within half an hour with it’s letter unopened.

As time went by as Harry Potters continued disappearance caused everyone to worry and wonder if the boy was even still alive, things seemed to go from bad to worse at Hogwarts in the past three years alone.

During what would have been Harry’s first year at Hogwarts, Dumbledore had retrieved the Philosopher’s Stone from Nicholas Flamel’s bank vault at Gringotts, because there had been rumors that Lord Voldemort’s followers might try and steal it to revive their dead lord, and he brought the stone to Hogwarts for safekeeping, only for it to almost be stolen by D.A.D.A. Professor Quirrell, who had been semi possessed by Lord Voldemort who had been attached to the back of Quirrell’s head, and hidden underneath a turban that D.A.D.A. professor had constantly worn.

If it wasn’t for the quick thinking of a couple of first years named Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom and Ron Weasely, who had discovered what was really going on, had managed to save the stone, Lord Voldemort would have been brought back to life. Instead Lord Voldemort fled from Quirrell’s body, leaving the wizard in catatonic shock. Quirrell now resided at St. Mungo’s psychiatric ward under constant supervision.

During what would have been Harry’s second year at Hogwarts, muggleborn students started getting attacked, leaving them petrified with warnings written on the walls about the return of the heir of Slytherin, but it wasn’t until Ginny Weasely, one of the new Gryffindor first years and younger sister of Ron Weasely, one of the first years who had helped stop Quirrell and Lord Voldemort, at the school came to him and gave him a journal that belonged to Tom Riddle.

Ginny told him that she had found the book in her cauldron when she had gone shopping for her school supplies with her family, and she explained what had been happening to her since she started writing in it. Once the full story was out, Dumbledore had the book destroyed and the attacks were stopped, and the students who were petrified were given the antidote.

Nothing eventful happened the previous year, except for Remus Lupin and Sirius Black coming to Hogwarts to teach as D.A.D.A. teachers. Then three weeks before the start of summer vacation, one of the students disappeared without a trace during a Hogsmeade trip with her friends. The missing students’ dead body was later found several days later, lying outside the entrance to the Forbidden Forest, with barely a mark on her.

A few weeks later, Hogsmeade was attacked by Death Eaters at the start of Summer vacation, leaving thirty-five civilians dead, with fourteen of the victims being children. By the time the Aurors arrived and dealt with the Death Eaters, eight Death Eaters and ten Aurors were lying dead in the streets along with the civilians. Before the remaining Death Eaters apparated away, they announced the return of Lord Voldemort and that all mudbloods, half bloods and blood traitors should beware.

After that first initial attack, there were long series of attacks by Death Eaters happening nearly every other week, with reported sightings of Lord Voldemort leading some of the attacks, and as the bodies started to pile up, people were starting to demand to know what the Ministry was doing about it, and demanding to know where Harry Potter was.

Sirius and Remus already had plans to return the upcoming semester as teachers to help replace two of the teachers who had been recently killed in a Death Eater recent attack over the summer.

I guess there’s no other choice now, with so many people dying at the hands of Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters, Harry is our last hope if the wizarding world is to survive,’ Dumbledore thought silently to himself, as he pulled out Harry’s latest acceptance letter for the school year, and put it in an envelope then quickly wrote a letter on another piece of parchment and put a charm on it, before placing the second letter within the envelope with Hogwarts letter and sealed it, ‘ I thought I would give the boy a little more time to enjoy his childhood wherever he is, before I had to resort to this, but these are desperate times now that Tom is back, and Harry is the only one who can beat him.

“Fawkes, I have a job for you old friend. I need you to find Harry Potter for me.” Albus said as he turned to the phoenix as it sat on it’s perch, and attached the letters to Fawke’s leg, “If anyone can find the boy it’s you, sine the rest of us have failed in our search for him.”

Fawkes accepted the letter and let out a small thrill before he disappeared in a burst of flame as he left the school in search of Harry Potter.

I can only hope now that Fawkes manages to succeed where everything else has failed, because if even he can’t find the boy,’ Dumbledore thought silently to himself as he let out a loud sigh as he turned on his heel and walked back to his desk to sit and wait for the fire birds return, ‘I can only assume he’s dead by now and we have no hope left in saving the magical world.


An hour and half later, Dumbledore was starting to drift off to sleep when a flash of light caught his attention and brought him back to full wakefulness, and he turned his gaze back over to Fawke’s perch to see that the phoenix was back.

“Welcome back Fawkes. Any luck in finding our missing boy?” Dumbledore asked as he pushed back his chair as he stood up and stretched, as he made his way towards Fawkes perch, and he could see a letter was still attached to Fawkes leg, and he felt a wave of disappointment start to fill him, “Oh so you didn’t find him...”

Fawkes let out a small thrill as he simply held out his leg towards Dumbledore as he approached him. As he got closer enough to fully see the letter, Dumbledore realized that the envelope that was attached to Fawkes leg was completely different from the one the phoenix had left with an hour ago, and he felt his hopes rise up once more.

Reaching out for the offered letter, Dumbledore carefully unattached the envelope, taking note that it seemed to be made out of muggle stationary, before tearing it open and pulled out a single piece of paper from within, and quickly read it.

To Headmaster Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall:

Your stupid phoenix wouldn’t leave me alone until I took your letters, and after reading them I have this to say.

First thing is, my name ain’t Harry Potter and even if it were, I’m not interested in going to your school. Don’t bother sending anyone to collect me to get my Hogwarts supplies, because I’ve already graduated from my old magic school and really don’t feel the need for the extra schooling in the magical arts, so I’d appreciate it if you’d leave me alone!

Sincerely Yours,
D.D.

As he reread two more times, Albus felt a smile of satisfaction appear on his face as he realized what the letter meant. The mysterious ‘D.D.’ could only be one person, since the charm he had placed on the letters before sending Fawkes off with them made it so that no one except Harry Potter would be able to open and read them.

Though he frowned a bit at the part about having already graduated from magic school and not needing more schooling.

If what he says is true about going to school already, I wonder which one did he go to?’ Albus wondered as he let out a small yawn and rubbed his eyes as he walked back over to his desk and put the letter down as he glanced over to a nearby clock to check the time, and saw how late it was, and decided that it was time for him to go to bed just as a loud yawn escaped from his lips, ‘And already graduated from there? Preposterous! The boy can’t really think that four years of schooling would gain him enough knowledge in the magic arts.

I’ll have to call another emergency Order meeting in the morning, and let everyone know the good news,’ Albus thought silently to himself as he turned away from Fawkes after thanking the phoenix for his help, as he started making his way to his chambers to get some much needed sleep, ‘Then send someone over to get the boy and bring him here for training.

To be continued...

==================
Author’ s Notes:
You guys! whines I have over 700 hits on my stats page since I posted this story, yet I only have TWELVE reviews for the prologue?! pouts and sulks in a corner looking all gloomy I see how much I’m wanted around here. I wanted reviews and comments, not an extremely HIGH number of people who’ve read this story on the stats page... giggles The no ‘mean or rude’ flames rule still applies.

So what do all of you guys think of the latest chapter of this story?