Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 3: Beginnings ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Check out my profile pic for 4th year Harry. I answer all questions on the review board.
If you can guess each of this story's 4 Harry ships I'll give you a cookie.
I will use pov changes a lot for story and character progression. I often find that one long story from one character's perception is never the way to go.
Harry can hide her scar much better than canonHarry. Long hair is both a blessing and a curse.
The butterfly effect is a common trope in fiction when presenting scenarios involving time travel and with "what if" scenarios where one storyline diverges at the moment of a seemingly minor event resulting in two significantly different outcomes.
So if you haven't figured this out by now. The change causing A BUTTERFLY EFFECT in this universe, is Harry being conceived a day earlier. Different day, different sperm. Pretty simple. The ripple of change will continue to grow as the story goes on.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Chapter 3: Beginnings
A dynamical system with evolution map ft displays sensitive dependence on initial conditions if points arbitrarily close become separate with increasing t. If M is the state space for the map ft, then ft displays sensitive dependence to initial conditions if there is a δ0 such that for every point xEM and any neighborhood N containing x there exist a point y from that neighborhood N and a time τ such that the distance
D(ft(x ), ft(y) δ
The definition does not require that all points from a neighborhood separate from the base point x.
0000
0000
0000
Today isn't going to be agood day. I can feel it. What if I don't…
His mother was still banging on the door.
Ugh leave me in peace woman.
"RONALD BILIUS WEASLEY GET OUT OF BED THIS INSTANT! DO NOT MAKE ME COME IN TO GET YOU!"
Pulling his pillow over his head, he said to the door, "five more minutes, mum."
"DON'T FIVE MORE MINUTES ME YOUNG MAN! UP! NOW!"
He heard her footsteps receding away down the stairs. That woman is a nightmare.
Ron got out of bed as slowly as he could, keeping his head on the pillow until the entire rest of his body was hanging off the edge of the mattress. The sunlight pouring into his room was excruciatingly bright. Of course. My bedroom is the only one in the house with a window facing east. He made his way out of the room, tripping over one of his many Chudley Canons t-shirts on the way.
The bathroom was currently occupied and Fred, George, and Ginny were leaning against the wall outside it.
So tired. "One bathroom. Nine people. I think the one positive quality Dad lacks is the ability to plan ahead," he groaned. I don't want to go to school. I want to sleep, play some chess, and sleep some more.
"Well hello to you too Ronniekins," said Fred… or George. Does it matter?
He leaned against Ginny and put his arms around her shoulders. "Gin… let me sleep on you."
Ginny pushed him off and said angrily, "You can use me as a pillow when you agree to write me letters every week."
Now it's every week? It'll be every day by breakfast. "I told you Gin, I'm gunna be too busy to write you letters all the time. Can't you just wait until Christmas to hear about it?"
Ginny adopted mum's most effective 'I'm furious at you' glare.
"Fine then. I'll just use this wall."
"Fine," said Ginny ambivalently.
"Fine!" drawled Ron.
"FINE!" Ginny growled.
"FINE," the twins chimed in.
"Now both of you shut it-" said Fred… or George,
"because it's too early for shenanigans-" said George… or Fred,
"unless caused by us," they said at the same time.
Percy opened the bathroom door and trooped out. Fred, George, and Ginny struggled to be the first one to get in next. He, being the master strategist that he was, dove on the floor, crawled through George's legs, stood, and shut the door behind him as they all continued to struggle.
After Ron had showered and changed, he clomped his way down to the kitchen. His mum was already busy at the stove, frying away. Blegh. Monkey Candy. I hate bananas. Grabbing some toast and marmalade, he headed out the door and down the little path to his Dad's shed.
Ron pushed his way through the piles of muggle 'stuff that didn't work.' "Dad?"
"Here," said a grunting voice from behind the... refidgerotor?
Walking around the tall white cabinet, he found his father, sitting on their ratty old bean bag, tinkering with bits and ends from the enormous motorbike that had been occupying their shed for years. "Hullo Ron. All packed?" his father asked without looking up.
Not even close. "Oh… yeah. Listen, Dad can I… can I ask you something?"
His father laughed under his breath. "Didn't you just?" He paused. "What's on your mind son?"
Ron hesitated, dreading the answer to the question that had been on his mind since January. "Well… Dad… what if I'm not… not in Gryffindor?"
"What do you mean 'what if' Ron?" His father stopped his work and looked up at him with a penetrating stare. "Are you asking me what I'dthink?"
Ron nodded slowly.
Sighing heavily, dad patted the large bean bag. "Come sit down Ron." He sunk down into the squishy chair and watched in silence as his father banged a large silver looking instrument all around the wheels. It didn't seem to create any sort of change in the bike. After several minutes of haphazard banging, his father said softly, "Do you remember when you caught that huge fish down in the stream without a line? How it just jumped right into your hands?"
"Yeah." It was pretty big.
"Do you remember how proud your mother and I were? Our son, wandless magic at age five. You're going to be a powerful wizard one day Ron, and not being in Gryffindor isn't going to stop that." He ruffled Ron's hair. "Your mother and I will always be proud of you son, no matter what house you're in."
"Even if I get put in Slytherin?"
His father chuckled and said warmly, "Yes Ron, even Slytherin. But we both know if you get put into Slytherin, you'll leave the school out of your own volition."
Too right I would.
His father patted him on the back of the neck. "Anything else?" Ron shook his head no. "Good, glad I could help son… now, go pack."
He always knows.
An hour and a half later, Ron found himself smushed against the twins in the backseat of the Ford Anglia as they pulled into the Kings Cross parking lot. Merlin's balls. I have to pee.
His father made one last check of, "everyone have everything?"
They made their way into King's Cross with relative ease, despite Ginny somehow getting lost twice.
"Well we have two hours… who wants what to eat?"
"PIZZA. PASTIES. PASTA," all echoed over Percy's monotone "salad please."
They put their things down at a large table and he rushed as quickly as he could for the nearest bathroom.
Ahhhh sweet relief.
He cleaned himself up and walked out.
WHAM.
He collided, head first, into a small girl who must've been running full speed with her cart. Well... jogging... briskly... well maybe she wasn't running but it still hurt!
"Oh Ouch! I'm sorry about that!" She was clutching her head in pain, eyes closed.
"S'okay," Ron said a bit begrudgingly. He too rubbed his head where she had bumped it. He noticed that she had an owl. Must be going to Hogwarts too… or maybe she's some bird watcher's assistant… or maybe she's just crazy.
Still clutching her head, she ran around him yelling, "sorry again!" With a wave of her hand, she was gone.
The black haired girl was weirdly familiar... yet... he didn't know from what. He thought it might've had something to do with... candy? Well, that could just be the toffee apple stand. Ohhh... toffee apple. He saw a girl eating one just a few feet away. She had monstrously bushy brown hair and large chocolaty brown eyes. She looked a bit like an owl if anything, and she was staring… at him.
"That looked quite painful, are you alright," she asked. He liked the tone of her voice. It was a bit like a sing-song.
"Oh um... yeah... m'fine. That looks good," Ron said, pointing at the the apple.
"Oh it really is," said the girl exuberantly. She was licking at the corner of her lip, but a tiny bit of caramel was a bit out of reach for her tongue. "You should get one."
He looked at it longingly, "Oh… um, no... I can't."
The girl walked towards him, leaned forward, and gazed quizzically into his eyes, as if he were a puzzle that she couldn't unravel. She tilted her head to the side and asked slowly, "Why not? Are you a diabetic?"
"No! I can't… I can't afford it. A dia-what?"
The girl didn't seem to show him any pity… which he appreciated. Instead she cleared her throat and said in a bit of teacherish voice, "Diabetic: of or pertaining to diabetes which is a disorder characterized by the inadequate production of insulin."
He was floored. Not understanding a word the girl had just said, he simply replied, "oh."
The girl, seeming satisfied, walked away.
When it was time to board the train, the Weasleys made their way over to Platform 9 in a large, noisy group and Ginny was getting extremely angry with him.
"Bugger off Gin," he said, swatting her head like he would a fly
"NO RON I WILL NOT!" she yelled in a rage. But as fast as lightning Ginny switched her tactics. Clutching at his arm, she said in a much softer, pleading voice, "Why won't you write to me Ron? Just a few letters... please." Her eyes got very big and she poked out her bottom lip.
Ugh. "None of the others wrote us letters when we were home alone, Ginny. Why should I have to?"
"Because I won't have anyone, Ron! It'll just be me and mum." She paused and started to sniffle. "And I want to know about Hogwarts! What if there really are mountain trolls at the sorting?"
"Don't use those fake tears on me Ginny; we all know you never cry for real. I already said no... now leave me alone!"
Ginny stomped her foot angrily and went back to stand by her mother, who bent down, wiped his sister's eyes, glared at Ron, and gave her daughter the bag of sandwiches. Ginny ran off in a huff to a nearby bench.
His mother called out to her, "Ginny! Please don't eat all of those! They're for your brothers too!" She turned back to Ron. "Ron dear... I wish you wouldn't upset your sister like that. You know how she can get. She'll be angry for days."
Yeah, well… I wonder where she got it from?
"Aren't you coming in?" he asked, preparing to charge through the barrier.
"No, we'll stay out here until Ginny has cooled off a bit. Your father wants to show me how the eclectic lamps work anyway. You go on ahead."
Ron ran.
The familiar large steam engine loomed in front of him. There were people everywhere; students in robes; students in normal clothes; tearing parents sending their children away for the first time; parents that looked exceedingly bored. He spent ages trying to find the twins in the mess.
"Gran, I've lost my toad again," said a round faced boy.
"Oh Neville," he heard the old woman sigh.
He saw a small crowd gathered nearby. "Give us a look Lee! Go on!" One boy bent down and opened the box. A huge hairy leg poked out.SPIDER! He jumped a foot in the air, and shrieked in an extremely high pitch that echoed all the way up to the rafters. The crowd looked up at him as the platform went silent. He could feel himself flushing all the way down to his toes.
"Well done Ronniekins." One of the twins had appeared out of nowhere and clapped him on the back. The other twin appeared and did the same adding, "we'll remember that one for years to come."
"Get bent the both of yah." They helped him get his trunk into a compartment and then went off to find Lee and his spider. Which I'm sure is going to end up on my pillow tonight.
He could smell it before he saw it. Toffee Apple. And sure enough, through the crowd walked the toffee apple stand girl, although she didn't seem to have any toffee apples on her. Probably shouldn't call her toffee apple stand girl. 'Hello toffee apple stand girl. I'm Ron. Have any toffees apples?' Smooth Ron. Smooth.
She was trying to lift her trunk into a compartment but was only halfway there. Her knees were bent at odd angles and he could tell she was not going to be able to get it in by herself. He went over to her and asked politely, "do you need some help with that then?"
"Oh no, I'm fine," she said without looking up. He watched her struggle a bit more.
I think it's actually falling further out of the door. "Are you sure?"
Breathlessly the girl said, "oh yes, quite sure, thanks."
Finally, after watching her struggle for a full minute, Ron could take it no more. He grabbed on to the bottom, and they both heaved the heavy trunk into the compartment with one mighty shove.
The girl whirled on him and started saying belligerently, "I told you I did not need your-" Words failed her when she saw who had helped.
"Hullo," he said with a cheery wave.
"So that's why you didn't know what a diabetic was? Because you're a wizard."
He was expecting a cheery wave in return, but she just stood there... observing him as if he were some sort of... odd experiment.
"Oh uh… yeah, I am."
The girl stared at him for the longest moment before saying in a quiet voice, "thank you for helping with my trunk. By the way you have a bit of dirt on your nose. Just there."
Before Ron could do anything about the smudge, she licked her finger, took her hand, and began to intently rub at his nose. She was very close and he was sure he could smell it in her hair.
Toffee apple.
Without another word, she turned and got on the train, leaving him standing there, looking a bit like a tornado had just passed through his brain.
"Ron! Where are you?" He snapped back into reality as he heard his mum's voice above the crowd.
Venturing back down the crowded platform, he saw the large crowd of Weasleys standing by the compartment he and the twins had put their things in. Ginny was back, handing out sandwiches to her brothers. She looked extremely happy, which was odd given the duration of Weasley bad tempers. She smiled up at him as he approached, handing him two sandwiches.
"Hullo," she said cheerily. Now that Ginny wasn't desperately clinging to his arm and asking him to write to her, he felt extremely guilty that he said no in the first place. Seeing her happy, bouncing around, made him feel wretched, because he realized that seeing her sad to see him leaving... made him happy. She's supposed to be sad! I'm her big brother!
"Ginny… I'm sorry about before. Of… of course I'll write you."
She smiled. "It's alright Ronniekins. You don't have to."
Where did that come from? I'm never going to understand what goes through that head.
Percy opened his mouth to chime in, "Can't stay long Mother. I'm up front, the Prefects have got two compartments to themselves."
Ron noticed that Percy's badge now read, 'Peefect.' He wondered how long it would take Percy to notice Fred and George's handiwork. Probably until Penelope Clearwater laughed openly at him.
"Oh are you a Prefect, Percy? You should have said something," said a twin.
"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," said the other twin. "Once"
"Or twice-"
"A minute-"
"All summer-"
"Oh shut up," said Percy the Peefect.
"How come Percy gets new robes anyway?" asked a twin.
His mother gave Percy a sickeningly lovey 'proud mum' look. "Because he's a Prefect. Alright dear, have a good term - send me an owl when you get there. Now… you two. This year you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've… you've blown up a toilet or-"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet!"
"Great idea though, thanks mum."
"It is not funny Fred! And make sure you look after Ron." Them? Look after me? Ha.
"I'm not Fred! I'm George! Honestly wo-"
His mum wacked the twin on the head. "You're Fred. You already tried that out at the barrier dear. George had his hair parted in the other direction."
Fred and George grinned, pulled out two combs, and slicked their hair in the opposite directions. They smiled at mum cheekily. "Are you sure I'm Fred?" they chimed simultaneously.
"Oh just get going, all of you." His mum patted him on the cheek and Ginny hugged him.
"I promise Gin, I'll send you loads of letters."
The twins laughed. "We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat Gin!"
His mother gave them a death glare.
Climbing into his compartment, Ron was surprised to find someone already there, curled up on the bench, asleep.
"Blimey, looks like she's been up all night. Ron we're going down the end of the train. Lee has got... well, he's got a surprise."
"I swear I'll kill you both if that spider ends up in my bed."
Fred and George laughed and left.
His eye's widened when he turned and beheld the sleeping girl. It… It's the girl that headbutted me. I knew she was going to Hogwarts.
Ron couldn't help but watch her as she slept. Her fingers we're twitching and her eyes were moving rapidly under her eyelids. Must be some dream. The girl moaned a bit and her long messy black hair fell off her ears and into her face as the train jostled forward. Her trunk sat beneath her and scrawled on the front of it were little letters that said HLP. His trunk said BAW... Bill's of course.
He spent the next thirty minutes in silence, paging through a Chudley Canon's magazine he had brought along for the ride. The girl was having a really terrible dream... he could tell. Occasionally she would moan and cry out. He wanted to do something to help, so he got one of the blankets down off the top rail of the compartment, unfolded it, and placed it over her, his hand brushing her hair as he did so. It's very soft. Though probably not as soft as toffee apple stand girl's. Hers looked like a big ol' silky marshmellow.
The compartment door slid open. Speak of the devil. Toffee apple stand girl and the boy who had lost his toad sidled in. But before toffee apple girl had the chance to speak, a terrible heart wrenching wail echoed from the sleeping girl's mouth.
"AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!"
The girl was clawing at her face, eyes still closed, twitching and groaning. How can she still be asleep? The girl raised her hands up as if prostrating herself before them. She thrashed violently, screaming, her head banging against the wall. Ron saw a bloodstain where her head collided. She's going to break her neck!
Ron did the only thing he could think of that would help her. He sat down next to her, pulled her to his chest and hugged her tightly, restraining her arms and legs. She was still thrashing against him, crying in pain, eyes shut tight, but she wasn't hitting anything so that was a plus.
He cried out to toffee apple stand girl who was rooted to the spot, big chocolaty eyes wide with shock and fear. "FOR GOD'S SAKE, GO AND GET HELP!"
Toffee apple stand girl seemed to jump back to reality, nodded franticly at him, and ran off, taking the round faced boy with her.
Merlin! She's not stopping. I… I think she's getting worse!
Blood from the girl's wound was flowing everywhere. He could feel it; hot; dripping down onto his neck. She was thrashing so violently that she rolled them off the bench and onto the floor. She was screaming and Ron was starting to panic. He couldn't do anything; he was useless. He didn't even realize that he was sobbing along with her. "I DON'T KNOW… I DON'T KNOW HOW… I'M SORRY!"
He searched his brain desperately for anything that might help. What would mum do? What… what would dad do…
He reached around the girl and pulled her on top of him, grabbing both of her arms with just one of his. He reached up with the other arm, took the back of her head, and pulled it down to his shoulder. He leaned forward, put his lips to her ear and whispered in the lightest voice he could manage, "its okay. Shhhh. Come back to me."
Over and over he whispered one of his father's favorite calming mantras that he'd use on Ginny when she flew into a rage.
Over and over and over. "Come back to me."
And finally, slowly, the thrashing lost pace. Her arms snaked around his shoulders, holding tightly; holding him long after she had stopped seizing. Her head was buried in his neck and she began to breath slowly, deeply, in unison with his own breath. When he breathed in, she breathed out. When he breathed out, she, in. It must have been several minutes that they sat there, chests rising and falling together, before she sat back onto her knees and opened her eyes. She pushed her hair back behind her ear. "You brought me back. Th… thank you."
BLOODY HELL! The lightning bolt scar. The green eyes! He had her chocolate frog card! IT WAS HARRIET BLOODY POTTER!
0000
0000
0000
0000
She was lying on the grass with a large piece of paper that she had rummaged out from the garbage can. Around it were several broken crayons. Humming a tune from a TV show that she had heard from her cupboard the other day, she picked up the red crayon and started to draw.
A shadow fell over her.
"Whatchya doin?"
"Dwawing."
"Whatchya dwawing?"
"My pawens."
"But... mommy said you didn have any pawens."
"I don."
"Den how are you dwawing dem?"
The shadow became larger and a boy sat down beside her, resting his chin on her shoulder, watching her draw. After a moment or two, the boy picked up a green crayon and helped her fill in the grass around the little house with the three stick people. When they were done, the boy pawed at her arm.
"Hawwy? Will you dwaw me and my pawens?"
"I can help dwaw dem Dudwey."
"Buh Hawwy…" he pawed at her arm.
"dat dickles!"
The boy grinned and lunged at her, tickling her all over. She laughed and laughed.
"DUDLEY! GET AWAY … DON'T TOUCH HER!"
The boy was wrenched away from her. She held out her hand reaching for him, but in her hand... was her wand.
There was a flash of green light.
A boy held out his juicebox. She reached out to take gratefully, but her wand was in her hand.
There was a flash of green light.
She was walking down a busy street and the large man pointed to a shop. He smiled kindly to her and waved to her as he walked away. She waved back, but her wand was in her hand.
There was a flash of green light.
A silver haired boy stood on a stool. He held out his hand, she went to shake it, but her wand was in her hand.
There was a flash of green light.
A small girl stood in front of her. Beautiful amber eyes boring into her own. The girl hugged her tightly. When they separated, her wand was in her hand, tip pointed right at the amber eyed girl's heart.
There was a flash of green light.
She walked up the stairs, wand in hand. There was a light on at the end of the hall. She entered the room. A woman stood in her path. She raised her wand.
There was a flash of green light.
Red eyes saw green eyes. Green eyes saw red eyes. Green eyes saw green eyes and red eyes saw red eyes. She looked down her arm at her wand, pointing down into her face.
There was a flash of green light.
"AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!"
Pain beyond pain. Heat beyond heat. She died. She died 1000 times, and 1000 times again. She burned in the green fire. Her life flashed before her eyes.
She was the old man, lying at her feet, torn in two, trying to keep his stomach inside his body.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmm. Sweet wonderful hums filled her ears. She reached out with her soul, but could not touch them.
She was the boy who stood alone, a knife dripping with blood. His parents and siblings lying around him, throats slit and dripping. He raised the knife and plunged it into his own heart. He fell at her feet.
She was the girl, arms broken, naked, bound. Her love loomed above her. She pleaded with him. Tried to reason with him. How could he do this? She screamed as he pummeled her. She screamed as he took her without love, his eyes blank and unseeing... without mercy. Beaten to her last breath, her heart slowing, her lungs filling with blood, she watched as her love died, skin melting off his bones. She slipped silently away as her cold clammy hand brushed the hair from her face.
She was the man, kneeling over his daughter, hands around her throat, watching the life drain away from her. She-
"Shhhhh. Come back to me."
She was an infant, roasting in a towering inferno of flaming horses. She could feel-
"Hey. Come back to me."
She was a woman, watching her children torn and clawed by the hands of the dead. She-
"It's okay now, Come back to me."
The humming returned, wrapping with the angelic words. She reached out and grasped… something.
Red eyes spun around her, closing in. A lifetime of rage and hate and pain.
"Come back to me."
She felt arms on her skin. Not choking, or beating. Just holding.
Red eyes.
"Come back to me."
She felt a chest, breathing.
In. Out. In. Out.
Harry opened her eyes. She saw an ear... and Ginny's hair. No… it's not Ginny.
It was a boy. His arms held her tightly. She wrapped her own around the boy's shoulders and inhaled when he exhaled, exhaled when he inhaled. He smelled a bit like grass. It was nice.
"Thiss grasss red human brought you back, chica. I tried to ssoothe you… but could not."
She felt Alice tighten on her leg… as if to apologize.
Harry hugged the boy tightly, knowing already what he had done.
Leaning back to her knees, she gazed intently into his sky blue eyes and smiled, tucking her hair back behind an ear to look at him better. "You brought me back. Th… thank you."
The boy sat up on his elbows, jaw dropped in shock, staring at her incredulously as she sat between his legs. It took him several minutes to say anything. "You… You're... Harriet Potter…"
He was ogling her scar and she found she didn't care one bit. "Yeah, I am. Just Harry though."
Harry leaned back down, her hair dancing on his face. She pulled him close and lightly kissed his cheek. She trailed light kisses all along his jaw right down to his ear. Planting one last grateful peck on his ear lobe, she slumped against him, exhausted, breathing out her relief into his shoulder. "Thank you."
Harry could tell that he seemed to be getting over the shock that she was Harry Potter. He now seemed considerably more shocked that she was lying on top of him and had just kissed him several times.
"…Erm… no problem." He made to wiggle out from under her, but Harry held on for dear life.
"What's your name?" she asked in his ear.
"Ron Weasley," he muttered, again making that same little wiggle to remove himself.
HA! Ron Weasley? Ginny's brother? Well the hair makes sense then! Ginny called him a prat.
Harry might have thought more on this had Ron not just saved her from whatever was at the end of that dream. He was warm and she couldn't help snuggling into his side. She knew it was a bit of an awkward situation but she needed this... she needed to be touched; warm; safe from the death and the horrible eyes. Her body stung and hurt all over. I just need a little comfort.
Harry smiled into Ron's neck and mumbled, "two Weasleys in one day. You know Ginny was right miffed at you." She scrunched up his jumper in her hands, pulling him closer.
"How do you know-" but he wasn't allowed to finish.
"AHEM"
Harry, startled, gaped at the newcomer. The girl had a large bush of brown hair. Brown eyes studied studied her intently; a mixture of disdain and curious interest on her face.
"Oh… hello," said Harry nervously. The girl raised an eyebrow.
A woman in a matron's outfit came bustling into the compartment dragging a cart behind her. She kicked Ron's head by accident.
"Good Lord! What are you two doing on the floor? Oh never mind. Come on deary... let's have a look." Harry pulled Ron up with her and let go of his jumper. She smoothed it down where her hands had bunched it up thoroughly.
The nurse was dragging her wand around Harry's head. When the wand tip passed over the cut on the back of her head, her flesh repaired itself with a disgusting little slick. "Mmm mild concussion its looks like," said the nurse. She tapped her wand on Harry's temple and she could suddenly think clearly. The matron gave her cheek a little pat and asked, "so dear... what happened?"
"I… I don't really know."
"She was dreaming," said Ron.
The nurse lit her wand and held it up to Harry's eyes. "Mmmhmm. I thought you said she was screaming love?" she asked the brown haired girl.
Ron answered for her, "She… she was… and thrashing… and…" he trailed off looking sadly at Harry.
"Oh dear. Sounds like night terrors… much worse in magical folk than muggles. The magic makes them real for the body, and it can be quite serious... oh dear me. You're only a first year! I've never seen a case so young…" The nurse let out a great sigh and Harry didn't like the sound of it. "Well, I can give you some dreamless sleep potion for tonight of course, but I'd like you to visit the Headmaster after the sorting feast. He is most adept in dealing with magics of the mind. Here... a pepper up potion, a blood replenisher, as well as your dreamless sleep draught. They'll fix you right up." Harry took the vials, gulped two of them back… and promptly spit them back out. BLEGH
The nurse laughed handing her two new vials. "That's everyone's reaction the first time love." She smiled and bustled out.
Silence fell over the small cabin. Ron and the the brown haired girl were giving her apprehensive looks... as if she was about to explode. The girl was the first to speak. "Well then… I'm very glad you're alright." It seemed she wanted to say more, but after a moment's hesitation, she turned and left Harry and Ron alone. Ron plopped down onto the seat and sighed, hand over his eyes. "Blimey."
"Yeah." Harry regarded Ron with curiosity. His blood red hair was shaggy, covering his blue eyes from view. His clothes… well they were all a bit worn down, but they were well kept and looked comfy enough, just like her dress. He had even more freckles than Ginny. All over his face and neck and arms... his arms. There was blood all over them; blood which she assumed was her own.
She sat down next to him and took the end of her already very bloody dress and wiped him off.
He raised his head, eyes giving her a thorough inspection. "You all right then?"
"Think so... thanks to you."
Ron's ears went pink. He tore his eyes from hers saying weakly, "you should change out of that you know. It's covered in… well… its making me a bit queasy."
He does look a bit green. She nodded and got up. Ron made to get up too, heading in the direction of the door, but Harry was already pulling her dress off over her head.
"OI! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Ron had jumped back into his seat, hands and arms covering his face and eyes from view.
"I'm changing," said Harry simply, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. She pulled out her Hogwarts robes from her trunk.
"NOT… NOT…" he sputtered incoherently for a few seconds. "NOT WHILE I'M STILL HERE!
"Ron… that's nice of you but... I really couldn't care about decency at the moment. Every nerve in my body is stinging and besides… you didn't see anything did you? Bet you didn't even get a look at my bottoms before you acted all… well… very nobly. Noble Ronald Weasley. My savior…" She giggled as she pulled up her black skirt.
"THAT'S COMPLETELY BESIDES THE POINT! AND… AND… WAS THAT A SNAKE? ON YOUR LEG?"
"Oh, yes. That's Alice. Don't worry, she's a Boa Constrictor and they're not venomous. She likes to eat bananas. You can look now." She finished buttoning up her white Hogwarts blouse and pulled her robe over top. "Do you think you could you tie this for me?" she asked, holding out her tie. "I've no idea how."
Ron's hands fell back down to his side. His ears were pink and he was very tense. As he tied the tie around her neck, Harry noticed that every few seconds he would glance nervously at the hem of her skirt, where the snake's coiled form was hidden. When he finished, he retreated hastily to the corner.
I don't want my savior to be afraid of me, now do I? She lifted the hem of her skirt and held her hand out to Alice, who coiled onto her fingers. She went to sit next to him and Alice started wiggling fiercely.
"Harry sspeaker! He hass them. Put me down. I want them.
Not daring to speak to Alice with Ron right in front of her, she placed the snake on the seat between them. The little thing slid quickly up to Ron's leg and stuck its head in its pocket.
"HARRY! WHAT'S IT DOING!"
Now that she had calmed down, Harry could distinctly smell a bit of cinnamon in the air. "Ohhhh. Ron do you have a sandwich in your pocket?"
"Umm what?" Ron was as white as a sheet and sitting stock still as the snake wiggled on him.
"A banana sandwich."
"Oh uh... yeah I do actually."
Harry pulled Alice back who hissed a little in protest. Ron got the sandwich and placed it on the bench. "Go for it. I hate these things."
"Really? Ginny gave me one and I thought they were wonderful!" She opened the sandwich, took the bananas out, and put them on the bench for Alice, who devoured them greedily.
"When… when did you meet her?" He was actually smiling at the little white snake's antics.
She put the marshmellowy bread back together and took a bite out of it, purring in delight. "Oh that's heavenly... but yeah. At the station. She was…" Harry saw Ginny in her mind's eye, standing on a cart, asking Harry to trust her. Amazing? The most wonderful person I've ever met? "… very nice. She was right ticked with you though."
"Oh er yeah. It's sorted now." Ron grimaced. He looked a little guilty. "I said I wasn't going to write her but… I changed my mind."
"Why wouldn't you write her? She's your sister! If… if I had a little sister…"
Ron blushed and said hastily, "I know." He seemed to be searching for a subject change. "Want to see my rat?"
Harry choked on a bit of bread. "Your what?"
"My pet rat… Scabbers." He went to his trunk and pulled out a small cage holding a fat, ragged looking ball of fuzz. He held him out to Harry. "He doesn't do much, just sleeps. Most interesting thing about him is that he's missing a toe. I like to imagine that he lost it on some daring magical adventure… but he probably just got caught in a mouse trap. He was Bill's rat, now I've got him. I'm the youngest of six … besides Ginny and… well we all share everything just about. Don't… don't have much… well..."
Harry waved him off. "It sounds wonderful. I wish I had brothers."
Ron laughed and said, "No you don't, believe me!"
She didn't think Ron realized who he was talking to... which was nice. Harry looked up at him, smiled sadly, and said in a very quiet voice, "Yeah… I do."
Ron blushed scarlet for his mistake. Harry scratched the rat behind the ears as the silence stretched. Trying to redeem himself, Ron asked her, "Well uh... what's you family like… oh umm… your muggle family… mum and dad were talking about them once."
"The Dursleys?" she asked.
Ron shrugged.
"They're… well it's a bit of a long story."
"I've got time." He smiled at her.
She grinned and regaled him with tales of her bulbous uncle, her whaleboy of a cousin, and her gossip hound of an aunt. They laughed and talked for hours. When the discussion turned to school and magic Harry asked, "Ron... will I be behind a lot of kids? Can you do magic already?"
"Oh nah. Though I do know one spell. Fred and George taught it to me. It turns Scabber's yellow." He pulled out his wand. "Sunshine, daisies, bu-"
He was interrupted as the compartment door slid open.
"Excuse me again." It was the brown haired girl. " I meant to ask before. Have you seen Neville's… Oh! Are you doing magic?" She had seen the wand in his hand. "Can you show me?" she asked excitedly.
Ron seemed a bit hesitant to be performing in front of two people, but he cleared his throat, pointed his wand at Scabbers, and said in a very loud and magnificent voice, "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid fat rat yellow!"
Scabbers squeaked weakly... before falling asleep.
"Hmmm are you sure that's a real spell?" asked the girl, her skepticism obvious.
Ron's ears went pink again. "Well, Fred and George gave it to me so… not really."
"I've tried a few simple spells and they all worked for me. It was ever such a surprise to find out I was magical… but I was ever so pleased. Hogwarts is simply the best magical school around you see, or so I've heard. I want to do so well. I've learned all the course books by heart of course. I do hope it will be enough." She said all of this very quickly and very proudly. Ron seemed to be in a daze.
So did I. Don't see me blowharding about it… well, History of Magic doesn't count. Harry shivered.
"I'm Hermione Granger. Do you know what House you'll be in? I do hope I'm in Gryffindor," she said, looking expectantly in both Ron and Harry's direction.
"Oh uhh Ron Weasley… and I dunno."
"Harry Potter-"
"Oh my… are you really?" The girl sat down next to her and pushed Harry's hair out of her face. Her large eyes were staring openly and avidly at her scar and Harry was very, very uncomfortable. "You know I've read all about you, for background information of course. You're in Modern Magical History, The Rise and Fall of The Dark Arts, and Great Wizarding Events of the 20th century! Did you know your Father lost his eyes in his duel against You-Know-Who? Imagine a spell like that! How horrible!"
Lost his... I don't think I like this girl.
Ron caught the angry look on her face and said in a stiff and heated voice, "Hermione was it? I don't think Harry here wants to talk too much about her father's corpse. Bit upsetting I expect."
Hermione sat back quickly, looking as if Ron had slapped her. "Well… well… yes… I suppose… well… very nice to meet you." She fled the compartment face turning red.
"Thank you Ron. But that was bit rough don't you think?"
"Oh well… I owed her one. Met her before. Made me feel like a right dunderhead."
Harry giggled. "Well what if… what if she's in your house? You'll be in a pickle." Ron paled and Harry laughed. "So what house do you want to be in then?"
"Gryffindor. Definitely. My whole families been in it." Ron puffed out his chest and said, "It was Dumbledore's house."
"Is it good then?"
"Good! It's the best! Oh man… I can't imagine what would happen if they put me in Slytherin though. I'd go bonkers."
"A friend told me he wanted to be in Slytherin."
"WANTED TO… wanted to be in Slytherin? Are they mad then? It's full of dark wizards and… muggle haters."
"Draco didn't seem like that."
"Trust me Harry, Slytherin is bad news. They say it was You-Know-Who's house."
It can't be that bad. Maybe he... maybe he just wants me to be in Gryffindor... with him. Harry smiled happily to herself. After a lifetime without, it was the strangest thing to already have friends"Don't you have to put your robes on soon? It can't be far now."
Ron sat up from his lounging position. "Oh right… could you um…"
Harry giggled. "Oh I dunno Ron. Eye for an eye?"
Ron groaned, "Harry!"
She laughed and stood up. She slid open the compartment door but didn't walk through. Turning slowly on the spot, she looked back at Ron. He was gazing intently at her.
Harry walked over and slid her arms around his waist. Ron froze up. She didn't wan't him to pull away so she hugged him tightly to her, resting her cheek on his chest. Her weight pushed him back to lean on window. Eventually, his body began to relax, inch by freckled inch, as the train jostled them softly. She felt his chin sink into her hair when he finally hugged her back.
"Ron... it was just... just horrible... the dream, I mean." She whispered gratefully into his shirt. "So... thank you for... you know... bringing me back."
"Ye- yeah. Anytime Harry."
0000
0000
Harry looked back at Ron standing in line. She saw his freckles, and sky blue eyes that sent her a concerned questioning look. She had been sitting on the stool for at least 15 minutes, the tiny voice of the hat badgering her for a decision.
How could he have said such a thing? In the robe shop… he had seemed so kind…
She looked at Draco over at the Slytherin table. He was looking away from her, seeming to appear uninterested. But he was sitting very still... too still.
Ginny's face appeared before her eyes. "And my mum always says that people that avoid looking at you are the ones paying you the most attention."
And then Ron's. "Ye-yeah. Anytime Harry.
And then Draco's. "Because he's dirt poor!"
A hot tear fell down to her lip.
"Ron was right. Not Slytherin," she told the hat. "Anything but Slytherin."
Well. If you're sure… better be…
0000
0000
0000
0000
Draco sat in a large green armchair, staring into the common room fire. Pansy was leaning against his leg, reading a romance novel. He pulled out his wand and twirled it against the armrest.
Tap Tap Tap Tap
Why had she…
Tap Tap Tap Tap
He didn't mean… well… he did mean…
Tap Tap Tap Tap
"Draco…"
Tap Tap Tap Tap
If she… I'll make her life a living hell.
Tap Tap Tap Tap
Pansy sighed in exasperation and yanked the wand out of his grasp. He opened his mouth to protest but she cut him off. "Stop being so moody. You're interrupting a very good scene."
"But she-"
"I know. You'll get her back for it. Don't worry."
He stared back into the fire.
Get her back for it…
Get her back…
I want to get her back…
I want her back.
/FLASHBACK/
He was in a very good mood. He had already managed to make two very large and bulky friends. Well… not friends really… more like bodygaurds. He sniggered. I'm going to rule this school... just like Father did.
Vincent and Gregory cut a path for him through the crowd until he was right at the front of the first years milling to get onto the boats. A booming voice cried out, "four ter a boat! Don't push!" It was that disgusting giant from Diagon Alley.
He heard Pansy say behind him, "UGH! He actually works here?" Smirking, Draco, Vincent, Gregory and Pansy all climbed into a boat.
They floated out onto the water and Pansy leaned back into him. "This is very romantic. Don't you agree, Draco?"
He scoffed in disgust… but his hands had found their way into her hair to play with the little blonde ringlets. She had always let him mess with her hair when they were on playdates at his mansion. It fascinated him; how it bounced and shone in the light. He did care for her. She was his best friend after all. But her incessant tittering about magical love and romance always made him uneasy. Girls... "Pans... if you don't get into Slytherin... will your father really transfer you to Durmstrang?"
Pansy sighed softly. "That's what he says."
Draco twirled a ringlet around his finger. "I'll come with you... if you don't.
Pansy said nothing, but her hand fell over his on the rail of the boat.
Even though his father had taken him to see the castle before, he gasped as it came into view over the water. Hundreds of twinkling lights were shimmering in the lake's reflection. It looked as if there were two castles, one above and one below. A stern looking woman with a lantern awaited them at the shore. "Good evening students and welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You will proceed up the front steps and congregate in the Entrance Hall. Walk promptly now. No mischief."
The Entrance Hall was enormous. Four giant hourglasses, filled with gemstones, stood on either side of what must have been the Great Hall. There were ghosts everywhere, one of which caught his eye. The ghost gave him a slight nod, then shuffled off, chains clanking behind him. He saw a familiar head of long black hair talking to a ghost with its head almost completely torn off.
"Hey! Hey Harry! Over here!" She turned at her name. Damn, what is that green? He waved at her. She looks much healthier. Must have put on 15 pounds. Harry let loose that brilliant smile of hers, ran over, and caught him up in a hug. Her magnificent hair rubbed on his cheek and he wrapped his fingers in it, just like he would Pansy's.
"Draco! It's wonderful to see you!" She leaned up and planted a light kiss on his cheek. He touched the spot and couldn't help but to blush a bit.
She must have had a damn good train ride.
"I… er… tried looking for you on the train but couldn't find you. Did you hear that some girl at the back had some sort of sei-" A tall redheaded boy in shabby secondhand robes was standing right behind Harry, looking interestedly in on what they had to say. Draco found this particularly annoying.
He said, in the best imitation of his father's signature drawl that he had ever performed, "Yes? Can I help you Ginger? I left my money in my other robe."
He looked at Harry expecting to see her burst out laughing, but she was staring at him with a slightly confused expression.
"Draco… this-" but he cut Harry off and put his arm around her shoulder, spinning her around, thinking that maybe she hadn't gotten the joke, because she hadn't seen this… buffoon.
"Harry look at the state of this chap eh? He must roll with the pigs every morning. I… I bet you're a Weasley. My father told me all the Weasley's have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford. Now then… run along Weasley, you're not welcome here. Maybe I'll spare you a galleon tomorrow if you leave quickly."
Weasley looked ready to murder him. He laughed and snapped his fingers. Greg and Vincent stepped up behind him.
"Walk away Weasley. I can really make you-" Harry had thrown his arm violently off her shoulder. "Harry? What's…" She's not laughing. Harry had stepped away and was glaring daggers at him.
"Draco? Is this some sort of a joke? What are you on about?"
Confused, he folded his arms and said, "what do you mean?"
It was right at that moment that Pansy came running up to him and shouted, "Draco! You won't believe what I just heard. That giant, the oaf, Hargidge or whatever… Draco… he lives in a shack! What a savage!"
He saw Harry's eyes darken.
"Draco who's this? Is she bothering you?" Pansy asked, gesturing towards Harry and clutching his arm protectively.
Harry stalked forward, her green eyes flashing, and pushed Pansy aside. She thrust her finger into his chest and glared up at him. "Tell me you're joking."
Joking? "Joking about what?" I'm so lost.
The girl in front of him seemed to lose control. "ABOUT… ABOUT WHAT? ABOUT YOU BEING…" She trailed off seeming to lose the words she was looking for in her rage. She just stood there and huffed angrily. Somehow, even though she was shorter, she was towering above him.
Weasley came up behind her and said, "It's okay Harry. It doesn't matter. Let it go." But Harry ignored him. It took her a long time to form the words she needed to say.
"Draco. What makes you better than Ron? What makes him so incredibly inferior to you?"
Ummm this isn't going well. Tell the truth. "Well… because his family is bunch of muggle lovers. And come on Harry… look at his clothes… because he's dirt poor!"
*SLAP*
His head reeled backwards and he fell to the floor. Pansy screamed. Holding his cheek he stared up in shock at the small girl that had sent him flying. She was obviously enraged. Green eyes stormy and narrowed. Face flushed. Hair blowing around her. Accidental magic. Great.
When she spoke her voice was icy. "And are you better than me Draco? I've been in the poorhouse since I was born. In my entire life, I've only had one dress that fit me. I ate crackers for breakfast and cold soup for dinner."
What? How is that- "You're not poor Harry! I saw your Gringott's bag! They only give those to-"
"FOR 11 YEARS I GREW UP WITHOUT THAT VAULT! WITHOUT MY FAMILY. I LIVED IN A CUPBOARD YOU… BIGGOTED PONCE!" She shrieked in disgust and kicked him hard in the shin.
Ow goddamnt that hurt!
Weasley stepped in again and took hold of Harry's arm. "Harry stop… please-"
"NO RON! GET OFF I'M GOING TO KILL HIM!" She stomped toward him but Weasley grabbed her around the waist, lifting her off her feet. She screamed and kicked the air wildly, crying. Weasley held her tight, whispering in her ear.
And she stopped kicking. Stopped crying. Stopped screaming. Her hair stopped blowing. She leaned back into Weasley's arm, breathing heavily.
"Come on Harry, let's go." Weasley pulled her arm and she was suddenly gone from his sight. He lay there on the floor staring at the spot she had just vacated. She… she… well!
Pansy knelt next to him and stroked his hair. "Draco who was that terrible girl?"
Before he could answer, the stern woman came bustling into the Entrance Hall. "First Years! Line up please! That means you as well Mr. Malfoy! Up!"
The Hat sang its song. Something about the founders. He didn't care. He was angry. He wanted to punch something cute and fluffy. How dare she speak to me like that? I'm a Malfoy! Who is she to HIT me? Hit me like some filthy muggle. Well she'll pay... Weasley too.
Yet as he fumed he couldn't help but think of her dark messy hair blowing around her, entrancing green eyes wide with anger. Damn. What is that green?
"Malfoy, Draco." He walked up to the hat not even thinking about where he wanted to go. He was just fuming over Harry. She was supposed to be my friend...
"SLYTHERIN."
Draco walked over to the table and sat down. He glared a whole into his plate as the hat went through several more names before getting to the P's.
"Parkinson, Pansy."
"SLYTHERIN" Pansy sat down at his side, looping her arm through his. Thank god for that.
"Patil, Padma."
"RAVENCLAW"
"Patil, Parvati."
"GRYFFINDOR
"Perks, Sally-Anne"
"HUFFLEPUFF
"Potter, Harriet"
The hall went silent as he looked up. No. No it can't be… oh gods. How had he not known? Harry was indeed walking forward. She put the Hat on her head.
Nothing. She just sat there... staring at... him.
He looked away purposefully and did not raise his head again; he could feel her eyes on him. This must have gone on for 20 minutes.
"GRYFFINDOR"
The room exploded with cheers as her tie and crest turned red.
Draco put his head down on his plate and moaned.
/END FLASHBACK/
I want her back.
Tap Tap Tap Tap
0000
0000
0000
0000
Albus Dumbledore was having the most engaging time. He had discovered that every time he shot blue sparks from his wand, Fawkes would sing a high note, and every time he shot out red sparks, she would sing a low note. He had developed quite an amusing game trying to trip her up. Fawkes however had not yet failed to miss a note. Phoenixes. Such amazing creatures. He shot off a large burst of yellow sparks.
The phoenix sent him a look that quite clearly said, "Nice try."
"Ahh, too right my old friend."
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK
"Do come in Harry."
The heavy oak door swung outward, and in walked Lily Potter. Well, Lily Potter at age 11… with James Potter's hair.
"Oh my. Hagrid was right. You do look remarkably like your mother, Harry. Would you care for a lemon drop?" He held out the bowl of wonderful little candies he had discovered while vacationing in Bermuda. Well… the Bermuda Triangle… well… Atlantis. No matter.
"Oh no thank you sir. I had about six treacle tarts."
"Ah yes, quiet so… you must watch out for those. They are a favorite amongst many students and thus, a prime target for many pranks from a certain pair of mischievous twins." He rested his hands underneath his chin and looked down at the diminutive girl. "Now… Harry… let us discuss the reason you came to see me tonight."
She nodded gravely.
"I was alerted that there was a rather serious event on the train regarding your health but I was not informed as to the details of said event. Would you enlighten me?"
"Oh… yes I… I had a dream."
"A dream that resulted in your need for medical attention?"
"Oh...yes… Headmaster Dumbledore, sir. I hit my head you see, and-"
"No extensive explanation needed Harry. Madame Pomfrey has explained your situation as well. And please, it is Professor. Headmaster seems much too stuffy for a young man like myself." He chuckled and winked at the girl, who smiled widely in return. "Now... I believe that you have developed a case of what I like to call The Petrifying Dream. In muggle culture, it is referred to as night terrors, which is simply a case of rather intense nightmares that cause physical reactions. In wizards however, our magic, which is directed by the brain, makes the manifestations real. It creates an experience which our actual bodies live through. An experience we cannot wake from, until it is ended. In your case, given your violent reaction, I think it best if I know what the dream was before we proceed. Do you think you would be able to describe it for me, Harry?"
The girl paled and shook her head no.
"I see. Well... do you think you would be able to let me view it directly?"
"View it… directly, sir?
"Yes… I am what we call a 'Legillimens.' With a spell, I may walk through your mind as if it is a corridor, viewing your memories as if they were open doors I pass by. I must warn you however that dreams are buried deeply in the subconscious, and I would first need to view your entire memory to reach them. Would you allow this Harry? To allow me into your mind?"
"… Yes sir."
"Very brave of you Harry. A true Gryffindor. Many would refuse simply because they have things to hide… memories they want no one to see." He looked a bit pointedly at her.
"We'll… there is one thing sir… that I'd rather hide."
"Then might I suggest placing the memory or memories of that which you would hide, behind a closed door in your mind. I will see the door and out of courtesy, walk past it. We could indeed do this for all your memories, but full Occulumency, which is essentially closing and locking each door, takes years to learn, and thus we would be here for a very long time. Instead we are simply closing one door until I pass by it. Do you think you can do this Harry?"
The girl nodded and asked, "what do I have to do sir?"
"Nothing at all Harry. You will feel me inside your mind. I am known to have a very light touch but still, you may find it... a tad intrusive."
Harry's eyes set determinedly and she said, "I… I think I'm ready sir."
No one is ever ready my dear child... you will relive it all.
He walked around his desk and wandlessly conjured a small armchair directly in front of the girl's. Sitting down, he withdrew his wand and placed it against her temple. Hesitating, he asked, "are you quite sure you wish to go through with this Harry?"
"Ye- yes Professor." She looked resolute.
"Very well… Legillimens."
He moved through the spiraling corridor at a lightning swift pace, absorbing the images flashing all around him. Green light. Images of a girl being chased and beaten by three boys; images of a dark room and a small girl lying on a moldy cot; images of a woman's hands being torn out of her grip; images of a man's hands striking a girl on the cheek. There is the door. Well done Harry.
He was sure he heard her say Thank you sir. Images of a giant man with a kind smile. Images of a silver haired boy, a redheaded girl and boy. Then, it was if he had passed through a veil of mist.
He saw himself holding his wand in his hand. And he killed. And killed again. Again and again. Red eyes. Green eyes. A flash of green light. Pain... blinding pain, white hot and burning. Dead bodies, murders, a voice calling out to him. 'Come back to me.' Red eyes.
The scene shifted. Gellert was behind him on the soft bed, arms wrapped tightly around his chest, thrusting slowly and surely into him. He was on fire, panting heavily as the blonde boy gripped his member and-
Aberforth stood in front of the grave, eyes blazing. "ITS YOUR FAULT! YOU KILLED HER! YOU AND THAT FREAK! I'LL NEVER FORGIVE-"
"INCENDIOS GRATA!" The last of the Divine Reich Sorcerers was disintegrated in a mighty blast of fire. He rounded the corner at full speed and found himself standing in front of the large black gate. ARBEIT MACHT FREI. The cold steel letters mocked him as he beheld his once friend, surrounded by the emaciated bodies of the dead. The man turned to face him, opening his arms wide in welcome.
"It is time to end this, mein liebster! Gekommen worden zu mir, taste the power of the Elder Wand! The Deathstick! With it I cannot be defeated!
"That is true Gellert. I admit my defeat seems inevitable for I know in my heart that I would not be able to kill you."
"Then why fight at all Albus?" The blond man turned from him and stared at the words above the wrought iron gate. "You who shared my dream? Why do you fight?"
"Because it has gone too far. Because we were wrong… EXPELLIARMUS" He caught the wand deftly. Gellert turned and smirked at him.
"You will destroy our dream Albus? You will destroy the greater good?"
"No my love. I will renew it."
"BUT YOU CANNOT ALBUS! AS LONG AS I LIVE THERE WILL BE THOSE TO CARRY OUT OUR WORK!"
"No Gellert, your puppet leader is dead. I found his hideaway, broke through the wards you placed around his bunker, and killed him myself. The hit wizards and allied muggle forces storm Berlin as we speak."
The blonde man's face contorted with rage. He screamed his defiance and lunged at-
He gasped and slumped against the armchair. The girl in front of him was crying, bright green eyes wide and locked onto his own. "Sir! I'm so sorry! I… I couldn't stop… I… I…"
He held up a hand and she stopped speaking abruptly. Composing himself took more than several minutes.
She had penetrated his mind. Broken through iron clad walls by simply walking through the door.
"You… Harry… I believe you may just be the most remarkable young woman I have ever met in my life."
"Professor I'm so-"
"It is quite alright Harry. I believe I have just learned the hard way that a door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction." He smiled as kindly as he could, yet he was still reeling from the memories he had shut away, so he was sure the smile did not reach his eyes. Harry caught on to this and her green eyes became hidden beneath her raven black hair.
"Harry... I believe we both desperately need a lemon drop." He picked up a candy from his desk and placed it in her limp hand. "Please. Eat it. It will do you good." He popped one into his mouth. Ah calming draughts. Most ingenious Severus. Harry did the same and collapsed into the back of the chair, sighing deeply.
"Professor… who-"
"Just a man I once knew Harry. A man who… lost his way." He tried to convey as lightly as he could that this was not a topic they would be discussing tonight. "Now… firstly, I believe an apology is in order Harry. I myself placed you on the Dursley's doorstep all those years ago. You have suffered a great deal at their hands and for that… for that my dear girl I am truly sorry. Yet... it was necessary. A necessary evil to protect a young girl from the dangers of our war torn world. And it is still necessary that you return to them each summer."
She frowned sadly. "I didn't think I'd have to go back. Can't I stay here at the school?"
"It is necessary that you return to them Harry, but I think… no… I am sure, that the protections placed around you and your family will recharge before summer's end. You will be able to leave every summer on your birthday."
"I… I understand sir. Thank you."
"Now, back to the matter at hand. You are afraid of using your magic and I believe this is a possible cause of the first part of your dream. I wish for you to tell me, why?"
"Well because… because my wand… it came from the same phoenix…"
"As Lord Voldemort's?" She looked surprised. "Do not be afraid to say the name Harry. Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself." She nodded slowly. "Ollivander wrote to me saying that at last the brother wand had chosen you as a wielder. Harry you must understand that it is neither the wand, nor the magic, that makes a wizard turn to darkness. It is what they choose to do with that wand. Voldemort's wand core was taken from the tail of a creature of great good and kindess. This creature in fact." He gestured towards Fawkes. " Yet he chose to perform with his wand great acts of evil." He sighed heavily as the girl did not look convinced. "You must not be afraid of your magic Harry. Embrace it… and choose to perform good."
"Ye-yes sir."
"As to the flashes of just a few of Lord Voldemort's many murders, I cannot understand why you saw what you did. I can merely speculate. Perhaps he is reaching out to you."
"He… he's still alive then?"
"Oh yes dear girl I am sure of it. Voldemort fears death above all else. I don't think he would have started a war against the world unless he knew somehow he would not die… yet that too is only speculation. What I do know is that you experiencing the Petrifying Dream every night as you fall asleep is something that neither you, nor I could bear. Therefore, I suggest this. There is a remote form of Occlumeny that I myself have developed. It is not a method of shielding yourself from others. A Legillimens could as easily walk through it as if it did not exist. It is rather a method of organization and focus. It consists of choosing one memory, a happy memory, and immersing yourself fully into it before you sleep. The memory will shield your mind to prevent dreams."
"I don't think I have too many of those sir…"
"Might I suggest your experience with young Miss Weasley this morning? It seemed to be a very bright one as I passed it by."
"Oh uh… yeah that could… work," and he saw her cheeks tinge red. Ah well. Love knows no boundaries.
Albus smiled fondly at the girl. "Very well Harry. I would like you to return to me every night this week and I will teach you the method. Madam Pomfrey will supply you with Dreamless sleep potion in the meantime. And now… I relinquish you from an old man's wheezing. You may return to Gryffindor tower… I believe the password is Caput Draconis."
"Thank you sir." She got up to leave, pushing her hair back behind her ear as she did so. She was almost to the door when she turned around and said sadly to him. "Sir… I'm… I'm sorry about your friend."
Yes... quite the most remarkable girl I have ever had the pleasure to meet.
He nodded and said, "Thank you Harry… Oh… just one last thing. Should you slap or kick Mr. Malfoy again, make sure that neither I, nor any of my colleagues, are around to witness the event. We would be forced to take away house points." He winked at her.
"Of course Professor." She smiled and left his office.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Hermione was in a state of complete and utter bliss. The bathroom was large. It had four shower stalls, four baths, four toilets, and four sinks. The baths were large, ornate, and sunk down into the floor. She played with the bubbles on the surface of the steamy water.
Gryffindor. I can't believe it! Dumbledore's House. I can't… Oh wait till I tell mum. She'll be ever so pleased.
The bathroom door opened. Well... it must have because she could suddenly hear Parvati and Lavender's loud gibbering voices coming from their room. "And did you see her hair? Its like a wild shrub!" They cackled.
I CAN HEAR YOU! Bints. Ohhhhh they are going to be the worst roommates. Prattling on about makeup and such. I bet they won't even do their homework.
She saw feet padding beneath the stalls and Harry came around the corner.
Oh no. I forgot about… on the train…
"Oh… hello Hermione." Harry's voice was a bit stiff.
"Hello Harry." She watched as the black haired girl went to the tub farthest from her and turned away from her. She started to undress and ugly jealously reared in Hermione as she did.
How can anyone have skin that perfect? A face that perfect? Hair that perfect? It's just not fair. She's going to be the one every boy drools over. She remembered the girls in upper school. The pretty one's all the older boys had oogled. None of them had a face like her's.
The black haired girl pulled off her shirt. Hermione saw that Harry, like herself wasn't packing anything up top, unlike Lavender who seemed to already have a medium sized swell in her bosom. When Harry stepped out of her skirt, Hermione let out a loud gasp.
What in God's name is that! It's looks like chainmail! Rips all over… are… are those safety pins?
Harry had heard her gasp and turned around. "What?" she asked Hermione simply.
"I'm sorry Harry but what… what is that?" She pointed at Harry's middle.
"They're my knickers obviously." She saw Harry's eyes narrowing. "Why?"
"But Harry they're… they're horrid!"
"Yeah? Horrid are they? First them... now you. I'm so interested in what you think of the only pair of knickers I have. Please go on. In fact why don't you tell me some more about my dad's corpse, or better yet why don't you shut your fat mouth?" Her voice had risen in a crescendo as she said all of this.
"Oh Harry that's not-"
Harry cut her off, turning away sharply. "Get bent Hermione."
She thought it wise not to make the situation any worse. Harry pulled off the undergarments stepped into the tub and did not say another word to her. They bathed in silence, Harry with her back turned towards Hermione. Every so often she would see Harry duck beneath the water and reemerge, giggling to herself.
I have to make her understand… I wasn't trying to…
"Harry… about what I said on the train. I'm just very… curious you see and well-"
Harry didn't turn to face her as she interrupted and said "I don't care. Why won't you just leave me alone?"
And that was that. Harry finished washing, got out, and gathered up her things. She wrapped a towel around herself and quickly left the bathroom.
Well done old girl. If I don't fix this I won't have a single friend in our year. Neville is afraid of me. Dean and Seamus are intimidated. Though that one boy… Ron. He might talk to me. Well… not if he was friends with Harry. She sighed deeply. Who would choose me over Harry Potter?
She spent an hour just soaking in the tub. Thinking. When she returned to the dorm room, she found that Parvati and Lavender we're asleep, but Harry was sitting up in bed with her lamp on. She had on a very ragged nightie that was tattered, ripped, and frayed. She was readingThe Standard Book of Spells: Year 1, while petting the little snake Hermione had seen her with on the train. Hermione didn't mind snakes.They're very interesting creatures. Plenty of medicinal purposes. Did you know that the southern Ouomi tribe use snake venom to… I really have to stop giving myself lectures in my head. I guess she's already read her books then. She's just skimming. A like mind! They had something in common… I really want this to work.
"What's her name Harry? The snake?"
"Why do you care?" Harry didn't look up from her book as she pulled her four poster curtains shut.
Bugger. How can I fix- Realization dawned on her. I bet she did! I bet she packed them!
She ran to her trunk, pulled it open and dug around till she found what she was looking for. She pulled out a nice pair of blue pajama bottoms and one of her father's soft t-shirts that he had given her to sleep in. Walking over to Harry's bed she wrenched open the curtains and sat down on the edge. Harry looked furiously at her.
"Excuse me! What do you think you're-"
Hermione interrupted quickly "Here. I want you to have these." She handed her the unopened bag of rolled up green underwear, as well as the pj's and T shirt. "You look about my size so everything should fit. My mum always buys an extra bag of knickers for me when we go traveling. I think she still believes her little baby is going to wet the bed."
Harry's eyes flashed. "I don't want your-"
Hermione cut her off again quickly. "No. Shut up and listen to me! I'm sorry for what I said on the train. It was cruel to you and… and… I'm just a very curious person. To me, you were something I could question and observe to learn more about this world. I'm muggleborn you see. And in the bathroom just now… I was just very shocked to see that. They looked terrible and I can't imagine they must be pleasant to wear. So please. Just take them. Even if you hate me, just take them… as an apology."
Harry stared at her, her lips parted slightly in an 'o' before she gathered herself enough to say, "You said all that in one breath?"
"Oh… yes… I… I do that sometimes." She nodded back towards Parvati and Lavender's beds. "Listen… I have a gut feeling that neither of us will get along very well with those two and well… I'd like to try and… and be friends with you. I've… I've never had many friends and well… I saw you skimming your textbook and well I… I do the same thing. I'd like to get to know you... it would be nice to at least have someone that's civil with me… but if you're too upset about what I said before I understand. So… so… just think about it."
With that said, Hermione got up, put on her pajamas, and crawled into her own bed, pulling the curtains tightly shut. She lay there for a long time, staring up at the ceiling, listening to Lavender snore like a trumpeting elephant. She was almost asleep when she heard the crackling of plastic, and much shuffling. She heard feet padding towards her bed… and Harry opened the curtains and crawled into the bed, sitting Indian style next to her feet. She was wearing the shirt and the pjs and, Hermione assumed, the knickers. Neither of them spoke.
Eventually Harry pawed at her foot and said without looking up, "Thank you for the clothes Hermione. That was really nice of you. They… they feel wonderful. I'm sorry I was so mad at you. It's just, what you said about my dad on the train, that… that he lost his… It just upset me so much to learn that he… didn't… didn't die well. And you're right. Those knickers were horrid. I would… would wake up bloody a lot because the pins had popped open."
She nodded. Harry was stroking her snake's head and it seemed to be thoroughly enjoying itself. "What is her name then," asked Hermione?
"Alice. I…found her in the garden."
"Really? She looks like a jungle snake." Hermione held out her hand and the snake coiled up her arm.
"Oh wow. She likes you a lot," said Harry. She was smiling privately at the snake as if they had just shared a joke.
"I like snakes I suppose. I read about them a lot in zoology books. They're very interesting creatures. Plenty of medicinal purposes. Did you know that the southern Ouomi tribe medicine men use snake venom to cure fever?"
Harry shook her head but seemed interested. A like mind indeed.
As Alice slithered around and around her tricep, Harry spoke softly. "I heard what they said about your hair." She nodded back towards Lavender and Parvati. "They were giggling at my nightie and Alice as well. Mean little bints."
Oh. I like her already.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Severus Snape stared around his classroom of Gryffindor and Slytherin first years.
Bunch of snotty nosed brats. I do hate this job. Right then.
In a menacing whisper, he spoke. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making. As there is little foolish wand waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mid, ensnaring the senses. I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death- if you aren't as big a-"
*SNORE*
A deathly silence fell over the room.
Who dares?
A black-haired girl had her head in her arms at the back of the class. She sat between a bushy brown-haired girl and a gangly redhead boy. The brown-haired girl seemed petrified that his glare was upon them and she nudged the black-haired girl sharply in the ribs. The girl grunted. She nudged again and the offending girl shot up shouting, "TREACLE TART!"
The class burst into laughter. Now he would have normally put an instant stop to the commotion, but he was staring at the girl with horror.
Lily? … no… 10 years since he… It must be…
"Potter." He snarled at the girl.
They look… oh Lily… why him… you were mine for so long… and then…
But he knew what had happened. He had called her… that. And she had never forgiven him. She went and shacked up with that… ponce and produced this… abomination.
Potter's hair on her beautiful face. Disgusting. He looked down at the roster. "Ah yes… Harry Potter… our new celebrity. Tell me Potter, does this room look like a dormitory?" He took the girl's appearance in. She seemed to be dazed by sleep and her eyebrows and robes were singed.
The brown haired girl next to her spoke out loudly before Potter answered. "Please sir! It's the sleeping potion. She-"
"SILENCE. Well Potter?"
"No sir."
Make a fool out of her. "You must know everything there is to know about potions… since you feel the need to sleep in my classroom. Just as arrogant as your father."
"No sir I..." Potter trailed off. She seemed to be angry at the jibe. Good.
"Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
The brown haired girl's hand shot up like lightning. Potter remained silent. Got you.
He smirked. "Tut Tut - clearly fame isn't-"
"The Draught of Living Death sir." She was staring right at him, Lily's eyes blazing with a triumphant look.
What? He tried again. "Potter, tell me, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"
The brown haired girl's hand shot into the air but Potter calmly answered. "The stomach of a goat sir." The class was tittering now.
"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"
Potter looked at him, then at the brown haired girl who was standing up waving her hand in the air.
"They're the same plant sir... it also goes by aconite. But you really should ask Hermione a question too sir. She wants to answer more than I do."
"Potter... What does Golpalott's Third Law state about poison antidotes?"
She glared at him. "That's not in the First Year textbook sir. Maybe you've forgotten, but Magical Drafts and Potions only covers Golpolott's First Law, which states that the potency of any potion is dependent upon the motion the brewer uses to stir, as well as the heat of the flame upon which the potion sits. "
How dare she… she… Lily's eyes and… and her mind. Damn you Potter. You took this child away from me. She was supposed to be mine.
"10 points from Gryffindor for your cheek Potter… Well why aren't you all copying the answers down?
0000
0000
0000
0000
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
Questions are answered on the review board.
Looking for someone to beta- Grammar Specific
How awesome was that chapter? Fucking awesome right? I nerd-gasm'd all over the place when I finished it. REVIEW!
Yes Harry will be better at magic and more powerful than canonHarry. She's Lily Potter's daughter after all. I always thought canonHarry got the short end of the stick.