Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 4: I Heard She Blew Up a Toilet ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

If you've never read A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury go check it out. It's a wonderful story about the butterfly effect and you'll remember it for the rest of your life.
Harry/ginny fluff inc letters and Christmas. Just you wait until I get to CoS. Fluff ahoy!
Check my profile for a picture of Harry anistyle.
0000
0000
0000
Chapter 4: I Heard She Blew Up a Toilet.
Perhaps only a soft breath, a whisper, a hair, pollen on the air, such a slight, slight change that unless you looked close you wouldn't see it.
0000
0000
0000
0000
GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST
Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.
Gringotts' goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.
"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.
Harry threw down the article on Hagrid's wide 6-legged table, jumped up quickly in excitement, and shouted "HAGRID!"
Ron, who had just taken a bit of tea, squealed loudly at the sudden movement and threw his teacup up into the air in surprise. Harry understood why he was so jumpy. Fang, Hagrid's monstrous dog, had been sniffing Ron intently from the second he walked in the door.
Hagrid chuckled, wiped the flung tea from his beard and said calmly, "I told yer Ron, Fang's right harmless. A big ruddy coward as well. He won't hurt yah one bit. Probably smells an animal or summat."
Ron didn't look convinced and was just about to say something, but Harry could no longer hold in her excitement. "Hagrid! The break in was on the same day we went to Diagon Alley! To Gringotts! Hagrid we emptied vault seven hunded and thirteen! The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day! That… that little package you got for Professor Dumbledore? Do you think they were after it?" She paced a hole into the hard wood floor, her thoughts whirling. I bet they were. They must have been.
When Hagrid answered, he didn't quite meet her eyes. "Ohh o'course not `Arry." The giant reached across the table and offered her another rock cake with a circuitous look in his eye. She politely declined. I must have broken three teeth already. Harry knew Hagrid was hiding something because he immediately began prompting them to leave. "You two better be gettin back ter the castle. Gettin a bit dark. I'll get me lantern."
Ron stopped his rather unsuccessful attempt to bite down on a rock cake and said, "Nah don't bother Hagrid. We can do Lumos! Oh… well… Ican do Lumos," he added with a quick look to Harry.
"Thanks Ron. Rub it in."
Ron laughed. "Oh come of it Harry. You nearly blew up Professor Flitwick, and I'm dead sure that Quirrel's iguana will never grow back its tail. You have it out for the teachers don't you? Make way Hogwarts! Dark Lord Potter comin-" but he stopped his jovial ribbing at the look on her face. "Ha-Harry? I'm sorry I didn't-"
Harry cut him off. "It's okay Ron. You just…" You just hit a little close to home. "Whenever I do a spell… it's like I see…" She trailed off again. I see Ginny die. And then I see you die. And then Hermione. And then Professor Dumbledore. And Hagrid… and… Draco. And I'm the one holding the wand that did it.
Ron was giving her a concerned look and he asked slowly, "You alright Harry? We can go to Madame Pomfrey if you feel sick you know."
She looked up at him. His crystal blue eyes were boring into her. "No… no I'm fine Ron."
Ron didn't seem convinced, but he blinked his concern away. His goofy smile returned with a vengeance. "We'll then, let's go get some dinner. I'm bloody starving! Oh… no… no offense Hagrid."
The giant man guffawed, "None taken. I do make em a bit chewy I s'pose. I remember yer brother Charlie broke his jaw trying ter get through one. Always liked Charlie I did."
Harry was extremely grateful the subject had changed. "Alright then. I told Hermione I'd meet her in the Entrance Hall as well. She said she was going to go check out the library. I bet it's marvelous."
"You said you'd meet her? Really? She seems like a right nightmare! Didn't you see her in Potions? And the way she lectures to me? Like I'm a total buggering idiot."
"Oh come on Ron. She's very nice… just a bit… blunt." Yes that's definitely the right word.
Ron grimaced, put his arm around her shoulders and said, "if you say so. Now, come on mate. Dibs on all the treacle tart."
Harry punched him in the arm and sped off out the door ahead of him yelling back, "Not if I get there first! See you Hagrid!" Laughing heartily, Ron raced after her.
Dinner was a bit of an awkward affair for Harry. With Hermione on her left and Ron on her right, she tried to maintain two conversations at once. I wish they weren't so untoward with each other. Then again everyone seems to be untoward with Hermione. I certainly was.
Hermione started in on Ron about his eating habits and Ron tore into her with plenty of uncouth language. Oh shut it the both of you. I have to get out of here!
She ate as quickly as she could, excused herself, and rushed to Professor Dumbledore's office. "Crunchy Cauldrons." The Gargoyle sprang aside and she was allowed entrance to the spiral staircase. She was surprised to hear arguing voices echoing down toward her as the spiral stairs drew her closer to the top.
"Albus! It needs to be safer than that! You can't just put it in a… Albus… you are the only person I know strong enough to keep it from our pursuers. Why won't you just keep it here with you?"
"I promise you Nicholas. It will remain untouched. The enchantments I will place will not allow anyone that wishes to use it, to retrieve it."
"Merlin… Albus, I hope you're right. Perenelle and I… we're… were not ready damn't! We need more time! I need more time… I… I can't say goodbye to her yet."
"Nicholas my friend, you know better than I, that it is not goodbye… merely a temporary parting. I believe, however, that we must discuss this some other time… our conversation is no longer private. Come in Harry."
The tall middle-aged man that Dumbledore had been speaking to, turned to face her. She had stopped in the doorway not wanting to interrupt. "Sir, would it be better for me to come back some other time?"
Dumbledore beckoned her forward, "Of course not dear girl. Harry I would like you to meet Mr. Nicholas Flamel, Headmaster of the Institute for Experimental Alchemy, Grandmaster Sorcerer of the 7th circle, Supreme Warlock, Grand Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, and my very good friend."
Flamel waved his hand in the air dismissively. "Meaningless titles Albus. All except the last."
Dumbledore smiled. "Yes… quite."
Harry noticed something very odd as Flamel strode forward to shake her hand; his hair, which she had mistaken for blonde, was snow white; and his eyes looked extremely out of place on his somewhat young face. They seemed old. Impossibly old.
"It is a pleasure young Miss Potter. Albus was speaking of you, just hours ago. I hear you have an astonishing gift for magic. There are not many in this world that can pass easily into the mind of Albus Dumbledore. Yes indeed… a most astonishing feat." The man turned back to the Headmaster. "Well Albus… even though we do not agree… I do trust your judgment. Farewell my friend; I will be in touch," and with a twirl of his cloak, the impossible-eyed man left the office.
Dumbledore beckoned for her to come and sit. "Now Harry… over the coming weeks I will instruct you on how to immerse yourself magically in memory. We must choose powerful memories, memories that consume all other thought, to block out your dreams. So… let us begin." He placed his hands in a steeple and asked, "I want you to tell me honestly Harry, what comes into your mind when you think of young Miss Weasley?"
Harry didn't quite know how to respond to such a question. "I don't… I don't understand sir."
Dumbledore rephrased, "I mean Harry, what emotions or senses do you experience, when thinking back on your meeting at the train station?"
I dunno. Happiness at having a friend?
"Friendship… Sir?"
Dumbledore looked contemplatively at her over his half moon spectacles. "While that is a most excellent thing in itself Harry, it is not quite what we need for this type of magic. Think back. When you were with young Ginny, what did you see? What did you hear? What did you smell? What did you taste? What did you feel? What makes her… her?
She was holding Ginny tightly. Her body was soft. Her jumper was cuddly. Her eyes were bright. She smelled of…
Harry smiled dazedly, "I smell strawberries, Sir."
Dumbledore clapped his hands. "Excellent Harry! We will use that as our building block. Now… we must attempt to find your magic's center."
"Find it?" Do we have to do spells? What if I blow him up? "I don't think that's a good idea."
Dumbledore gave her a penetrating stare. "Yes…I have heard tales from Minerva and Filius that you have been having trouble with your wandwork. If I may ask Harry, do you know what it is that is keeping you from casting a successful spell?"
She nodded saying slowly, "I… I see them sir, like in the dream. I see myself killing them and…"
Dumbledore smiled sadly. "I see. Harry… as I said before, your magic is strong. It is part of you and you must not fear it. Embrace it. Despite the tragedies that have befallen you, you have a pure soul... a beautiful soul. I have seen into your mind Harriet Potter and I have faith… faith that you will always choose to use your magic for good. But it is not I who must have faith. It is you." He smiled and placed his hand on her shoulder. "That is enough for tonight I think. We will continue to meet at this time, to theorize about what we cannot put into practice. Yet I must warn you Harry; Dreamless Sleep potion is an extremely addictive substance. If you cannot find faith in yourself and your magic, the consequences could be most dire."
"I…I understand sir."
"I have faith my dear girl. So should you. Ah… would you care for a lemon drop?"
0000
0000
0000
0000
Ginny lifted the enormous pot up onto the stove with a grunt. She was exhausted. She had de-gnomed the garden, dusted the furniture, swept the kitchen, done the laundry, and now she was helping her mother cook. Housework was so much easier with seven people to share it.
Her mother bustled into the kitchen, arms full of cabbage and potatoes. "Turn that stove up to high will you dear? I'll light it in a moment." Ginny twisted the little gas knob to the red setting, then went to sit down at the dining room table in a slump.
"Mum? Why are we cooking so much? It's only me, you, and dad. Who's all the food for?"
"Oh, yes. I invited the Lovegoods over. Xenophilius needs a good meal every now and then. When Anne passed away last year… well… he hasn't quite been the same since, has he? You like Luna well enough, don't you?"
Yeah I guess. Bit barmy. Ginny, not daring to say that out loud, simply said, "Yes mum… very much."
Her mother lit the stove which flamed extremely high, as the gas had been on a bit too long. "Good heavens! Oh dear me… no I'm alright Ginny," she said as she waved her daughter off. "Why don't you go out for a walk before dinner? Or maybe take a quick nap? You've been working so hard today and without so much as a fuss. I'll finish up myself. Go on… scoot!"
She walked out of the house and down to the edge of paddock. Ginny hoisted herself up and over and made her way to the small stream behind the house. It was very nice today, not quite chilly, not at all hot. She went to her favorite rock and sat, bare feet dipping into the water.
I miss Ron. And Percy. I just might even miss Fred and George. How long has it been? Four days? Sheesh. How am I going to get through a year of boringness? I wonder if… no… she probably just said that to cheer me up. Doesn't even know me does she? I… hope she does though… probably won't… she said she would though and she was so… she's Harry Potter she's not going to write you… but maybe-
Her topsy-turvy thought process was interrupted by loud off-pitch singing. "OH A PLIMPY ONE OR TWO OR THREE, A PLIMPY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE. A PLIMPY SMALL AND LIGHTNING QUICK, I'LL CATCH A PLIMPY WITH MY STICK!"
She called out into the forest, "Hullo Luna!" There was some rustling in the brush way down the stream, and then a girl hopped out and into the water. She was platinum blonde, rail thin, and her overalls were hitched up to her knees. The girl ran through the water and stopped with a mighty splash in front of Ginny. She leaned on her large sharp stick and stared at Ginny as if she had quite lost her mind.
"Hello Ginny. What are doing without your Plimpy Stick? These waters are filled with them. They could get you at any moment!"
Ginny reached over to the bank and picked up a stick. "Got one."
Luna sat down on the rock as well. They leaned against each other, back to back, and enjoyed the last bit of warm September sunshine that they would be likely to see for a good long while.
Luna asked her after several minutes, "You seem a bit sad. Did a Kerbudgeon bite you then?"
What, in Merlin's name, is a Kerbudgeon? You know what? I don't want to know. "Oh no Luna. I just miss my brothers."
The blonde girl said in a sing song voice, "Don't worry. At least they'll come back!" And she burst into laughter. Despite the blonde's cheery attitude, Ginny did not fail to notice the 'at least.'
"I'm… I'm sorry about your mum Luna. I never got around to coming to see you after…"
"Oh? Why are you sorry about that? She's right here." The blonde girl poked her head and heart simultaneously. Ginny didn't know what to say, but she nodded.
As they sat, Luna began humming the tune of her Plimpy song, randomly darting her stick into the water. Ginny felt herself dozing off on the girls shoulder.
"Ginny?" The redhead jumped awake. "I believe this bird would like to speak with you."
"Wh-what?" Ginny turned around. There, on a nearby branch, sat the loveliest snowy owl she had ever seen. Tied to its leg was a small envelope, with a bright green, overly loopy scrawl on the front that said, To: Ginny Weasley. She reached over and untied the letter, taking it with excited and trembling fingers. The owl left its branch and promptly found a better roosting spot: her head. Giggling she opened the letter.
Dear Ginny,
Ickle Gin Gin, (That's Rons writing!)
I hope the letter reaches you okay. If not… well… I guess it reached you okay or you wouldn't be reading it. Anyway, three days in! Hogwarts is simply amazing. You're going to love it. There's moving staircases, and a giant squid, and-and Treacle Tart! Shut up Ron you silly plonker. Come here and make- OWW There is NOT a mountain troll at the sorting. It's just a hat that talks in your head and puts you somewhere. It sat on mine for 20 minutes and my bum fell completely asleep. We're learning tons of magic- Harry isn't! Ron stop being lazy. Write your own damn letter. You promised you would. When you get here Ginny, watch out for the potion's master; Snape. He's a right old bastard he is. Hates me simply because I'm famous or some boll- Ginny there is a HUGE Quidditch Pitch! Ron I swear! He's right though. I still don't really understand what it is. Ron says you're a great flier. I wish I could see you fly! Maybe you could teach me how someday. We have our first flying lesson this Friday. I'm really excited about- Hopefully your broom doesn't explode too. OI NOT THE EARS! I swear… I'm never using a dictation quill again. I'd write another letter but I have to get to the Headmaster's Office. I hope you're not too unhappy home alone… although I'd be happy to not have Ron around right about now.
Wishing you were here,
Harry- You wish she was here? You hardly- GUGH EW! Ron you licked my hand!
P.S. Don't let Circe sit on your head.
Ginny sat slightly open mouthed as she finished the letter. HARRY WAS FRIENDS WITH RON?
"Oooo my, she seems very nice." It seemed as if Luna had read the whole thing over her shoulder. "Do you think she might like to kiss me? I think I'd like to kiss her."
Ginny, not paying attention to a word Luna had said, hopped down off the rock. Circe clambered to get back on her head. "I'll see you at dinner in a bit Luna. I want to write her back." She tore off up the hill back to the house, owl in hot pursuit.
0000
0000
0000
0000
"Hermione could you pass the syr- OH! Circe get off!" She pulled the owl down with a smile. It looked very proud of itself having just delivered its first letter. It hopped around on the table, knocking her bacon to the floor. Harry calmed her down enough to retrieve the little white envelope tied to her leg. To: Harry Potter stood out in delicate, neat letters. She took it, gave Circe some bacon, and read:
Dear Harry,
You're FRIENDS with Ron? What did he do? Follow you around, showing you your chocolate frog card, begging you to talk to him? He was always a bit obsessed with stories of you, you know. Something was scratched out here. 'So was-'. She couldn't make the rest out so she read on. Well, I'm glad you know each other I guess. Maybe you could come around for Christmas! If you want to that is. Another scratch out. Mum would be happy to have you I'm sure. Anyway, I'm glad there aren't really trolls. I was worried. As for Quidditch… oh it's amazing Harry just you wait. I think you'll love it and of course I can teach you how to fly. You're the perfect build for a seeker too! Yet another scratch out. I'm getting on alright at home. I expect Mum's been keeping me so busy so I don't brood too much. Harry, I'm really glad you wrote. I didn't really think you would. A scratch out.
Wishing I was there with you,
Ginny
P.S. I don't think you're going to be able to break Circe from head sitting. She's been on mine the entire time I wrote this letter.
She felt very warm all of a sudden.
Ron shoveled some eggs into his mouth and said, spewing them everywhere, "I wonder what the school brooms are like? What do yah reckon Seamus? Cleansweep Fours?"
"Nah not even. Silver Arrows I expect."
A drawling voice said from right behind them, "bet you're just dying to get on one of them aren't you Weasley? Must seem like a Nimbus 2000 compared to what you've got at home. Do you all ride a family broom then? A Cleansweep One maybe?" Draco and his two goons had sidled up to them unnoticed. "Father says he'll be getting me a Nimbus. He says it's a crime if I'm not picked to play for the house team next year, and I must say, I agree," said Draco smarmily.
Harry wanted to punch him. She wanted to punch his stupid, smarmy, smirk right out of her head. She hated that he would pop into her mind and make her spells explode. Every word she heard him say, infuriated her more and more. I hate him. I hate his stupid hair, I hate his stupid eyes, and I hate his stupid fat mouth. I wish he would die… no I… I wish he wasn't such a ponce.
Restraining Ron's arm as he rapidly reddened, she said quietly, exasperatedly, "Draco… go away. Please. It's too early for this. If you keep it up I promise you that my foot will find your bits."
Draco just grinned at her. "Dreamless Sleep potion's got your knickers in a twist then Harry?" He snatched a small silver ball out of Neville's hand. "My my my… this is a charming little thing… I think I'll keep it." Harry, Ron, and Seamus all got to their feet shouting respectively, "Draco give it back right now; I'll pound you Malfoy; and WIZARD'S DUEL!" Everyone in the hall looked over at them. McGonagall, who seemed to spot trouble miles away, was quickly approaching.
"What's going on here?" Professor McGonagall adjusted her tartan scarf and fixed them all with a steely glare.
Neville spoke up. "Malfoy's got my Rememberall Professor."
Draco tossed it back to him and said over his shoulder as he turned away, "Just looking."
Harry watched furiously as Draco slipped away without punishment. She felt a little slither on her upper arm. It calmed her considerably. "Chica, give me a banana."
After breakfast, the Gryffindors made their way down to the pitch in a large group, all chatting happily about flying… apart from Neville and Hermione… who looked rather green. The Slytherins were already there, standing next to the long line of brooms. Madam Hooch arrived shortly after them and with a piercing blast of her whistle directed them to move to their brooms.
Harry was giddy with excitement. She had shouted "UP!" with a little too much zeal and her broom zoomed to her hand, hitting Ron in the back of the head as it did so.
"Oi Harry! Watch it! Up!" Ron's soared neatly up. She, Ron, Seamus, Dean, and Draco were the only ones who managed to get it on the first try. Harry and Ron laughed heartily when Madam Hooch told Draco he had been gripping his broom wrong for years.
"But my Father-"
"Your father, Mr. Malfoy, still holds the Hogwarts record for falls from a broom during a Quidditch match. If you do not wish to follow in his footsteps, I suggest you do as I say. Now everyone… mount up. On the count of three, you will push off the ground, hover, then turn the nose down to land. On my mark… 3…2…
Neville pushed off the ground. Harry watched as he went up and up. Ten feet, twenty feet, 30 feet. Madame Hooch was calling out to him. "Nose down boy! Come back down!" The yellow eyed woman hopped on her broom and took after Neville. And then he fell. Harry watched horrified as the boy hit the ground with a sickening thud. Harry rushed over to him, as did the rest of the Gryffindors. Neville was dazed and clutching his arm in pain.
Madame Hooch soared back down. "Mmmm broken wrist at least. Come on boy - it's all right, up you get. None of you is to move while I take this boy to the Hospital wing. You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say Quidditch! Come on, dear."
Harry watched as Madam Hooch picked Neville up as if he were made of paper and carried him off out of the pitch. Parvati ran after them cooing supportively, but Madam Hooch sent her back to the group with a few stern words. Once the pair was out of sight, Draco turned to them all and said loudly "Did you see his face? The great lump!"
"Shut up Malfoy!" Parvati's eyes were dark and she stuck her finger into Draco's chest. Well… maybe she's not a complete bint after all.
Pansy cackled loudly. "Oooo sticking up for Longbottom? Never thought you'd like fat little crybabies, Parvati!"
Parvati's caramel skin flushed to a much darker shade of brown. She was about to reply but Draco cut her off. He had scooped down and grabbed a small shiny bauble off the ground. "Look it's that stupid thing his Gran sent him!"
Harry stepped forward. He's such a stupid blighter. "Give that to me right now, Draco." The tittering group went silent, all eyes on herself and the blonde boy in front of her. Draco flashed her with a wide grin.
"Now Harry… why would I do that when I could leave it someplace for Longbottom to find? Say, I dunno… up a tree?" He laughed and hopped onto a broom, soaring off to the tree line. He did a few loops and corkscrews to show off to the crowd. "COME UP HERE AND GET IT HARRY!"
Infuriated, she stalked to a broom, but Hermione grabbed her arm. Turning to look at the girl, Harry saw she had a fearful look on her face. "Harry… noooo, if the teacher comes back out… you'll be expelled and I… well." Harry understood.
"I know Hermione but I've got to. That thing is really important to Neville." Hermione looked at her fiercely, but let go of her arm, nodded, and stood back. Harry 'UP!'d' the broom, mounted, and kicked off hard. The wind whistled through her hair as she shot up quickly. Oh my… Ginny and Ron were right… this is fantastic.
"I wissh to be on the grasss Harry sspeaker."
"Sorry Alice. This has got to be done." She steeled herself and zoomed the broom towards Malfoy. She was almost upon him when a flash of red light whooshed past her ear. Looking down, she saw another beam of light barreling toward her. Instinctively, like the broom was part of her own body, she looped her feet around the tail of the broom and twisted. The world spun. She barrel rolled over top the jinx. On the ground she could see Pansy, wand arm wrenched up behind her back and lying on the grass, Hermione and Ron standing side by side above her.
Thanks guys. Draco was waiting for her. "Nice moves Harry. You're a natural flier."
"Shut up Draco. Give that ball to me right now… or I swear I'll knock you off your broom."
"No," he drawled with a smirk. Harry rushed him, grabbing for the ball. Draco sloth rolled underneath her and spun about face as she came around for another run. "Stop Harry! I just want to talk to you!" She heard the crowd below gasp at Draco's risky broom roll.
"WELL I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU DRACO. I HATE YOU! NOW GIVE THAT HERE!"
"You don't hate me. I know you don't." He was smirking at her and she wanted to wipe that stupid grin right of his face.
Yes I… Yes I do! I DO!... I… I do. She prepared to rush him again but he called out to her loudly, "Harry stop! I only took it because I knew it would rile you up and you'd come after me! Just… listen, meet me in the trophy room tonight. Midnight. There are... things that need to be said."
"SHUT UP DRACO! I'm not meeting you anywhere to hear anything! Your tongue is poison." Harry charged at him as fast as the Silver Arrow could take her; in his desperate attempt to get out of the way… Draco dropped the little glass ball. It's going to shatter. So she dove. Straight down. She was gaining on the little ball… Not fast enough… almost there… GOT IT! With an unearthly cry of triumph she pushed her feet down on the back end of the broom, pulled the handle up, and twisted back toward the sky. She was corkscrewing along the ground for at least 100 feet before she could regain control, her hair loose and skimming the grass. She held the ball up in her hand, tilted upward, and soared back to the crowd of students and…
Oh no.
"HARRY POTTER!" screamed Professor McGonagall. The woman was out of breath and red in the face. "Never in all my times at Hogwarts- howdare you- could have broken your neck!" A loud clamoring from all the Gryffindors interrupted her tirade. " But Professor- Malfoy took Neville's- wasn't her fault- Pansy tried to kill- he baited her," were just a few of the many protests.
"That is enough!" cried McGonagall loudly. "Miss Potter… follow me."
I'm done for. Harry looked back at Draco who had landed nearby. He was helping Pansy up and cupping her cheek, speaking softly to her. The blonde girl was obviously crying from the painful spell hold either Ron or Hermione had put her in. He put his temple to Pansy's and held her as she cried. But over Pansy's shoulder, he was staring… at Harry. His steel grey eyes seemed… apologetic?
She followed the stern Professor up the front steps and back into the castle. I wonder, from which part of the castle will she expel me? Her office? Professor Dumbledore's office? He'll be so disappointed.
After a few minutes of climbing staircases and walking behind tapestries, they arrived at the charms classroom. McGonagall stuck her head in. "Excuse me Fillius… may I borrow Wood?
0000
0000
0000
The Gryffindor dinner table was buzzing excitedly. Draco saw her surrounded by a milling crowd of people asking her questions. She was smiling and answering everyone in turn. Her eyes danced and twinkled in the light of the many floating chandeliers. Damn, what is that green?
He had to get her back. He wanted her as his friend, not his enemy. This was his chance. He took the tiny note, walked around the Slytherin table and quickly, yet carefully, slipped it into her shirt. He had dropped it down her collar and he saw her sit up ramrod straight.
Good. He left quickly for the dungeons.
0000
0000
0000
"Seeker Harry I can't believe it!" Ron had his arm around her neck and was almost showing her off proudly to the rest of the table. "Youngest house player in a century!"
"Ronald. You're embarrassing her." These were the first words Hermione had said to Ron in several days, that didn't involve a lecture on the proper wand movement or intonation of a spell. Ron waved her off and said rather triumphantly, "You wouldn't understand a thing about it would you?" Ron was rather proud of the fact that he knew everything there was to know about Quidditch, and Hermione knew next to nothing. When Hermione did not reply, merely got up and left the table, Ron looked downcast.
"Ron I know you want to get to know her. Stop being such a -" Harry would've gone on, but she felt something scratchy slide into the back of her blouse.
"Get to know her? I bloody well don't want to get to know her!" Ron said, stabbing a potato viciously. Harry however was not paying attention to his reply. She put her hand into her collar and pulled out a pit of rolled up parchment. Who-? She looked around suspiciously. No one seemed to be paying her any sort of special attention… or not paying her any sort of special attention, remembering Ginny's words. She unrolled it and viewed the single line of words written in an untidy sharp scrawl.
I'm glad you're still here. Trophy room. Midnight. Please?
She folded it back up and placed it into her pocket. Had Ron seen?
Harry couldn't do her homework that night. She kept glancing at the clock on the common room wall. 11:49. Should I go? I shouldn't go… It's a trap... He's setting me up… Bollocks… I'm going.
She exited the common room as quietly as she could. She tiptoed through the halls; dodging behind corners as ghosts sailed by, doing whatever they did at night. The trophy room was just above the Charms corridor. The hall seemed deserted. She sprinted across the hallway and up the small marble staircase at the end. The large wooden door was open just a crack and a small flickering light could be seen from inside. She pushed it open. And there on the window sill, wandtip alight, sat Draco Malfoy.
So not a trap then? She closed the door behind her. He had looked up when she came in, but when she turned he was once more, staring out at the grounds. She could see the moon reflected in his eyes. A tiny speck of light in a sea of grey.
"What do you want Draco? What was so desperate that you had to meet me here in the dead of night? What was so desperate that you risked getting both of us expelled by McGonagall this morning? Well… SPEAK UP YOU PONCE!"
Draco didn't say anything as he stared out at the grounds. She was so mad at him. When she could no longer sit and wait for him to speak, she said in a deadly whisper, "Draco. Talk now, or I leave and blow something up so you get caught out of bounds."
He turned his head toward her and said casually, "Harry. Why are we not friends?"
Harry laughed sarcastically. "Isn't it bloody obvious?"
He shook his head and said bitterly, "We got on great in the robe shop. Then I insult the Weasel and you explode. Now you can't stand the sight of me."
She scoffed at him in exasperation. "That's exactly why we're not friends Draco. Because you call him Weasel, and beggar, and blood-traitor. Ron is an amazing person. And you think that having money makes you better than him. I see the way you look at him… at Hermione… at Dean. You honestly believe that having money and being a 'Pureblood' makes you superior to them. It makes me sick. You're just like my relatives… completely intolerant. Maybe it's not your fault. Maybe your parents raised you to believe that, but until you change we can't be friends. Until you change... I hate your guts."
She walked over to his window sill, sat down next to him, and said softly, "I really liked that boy in the robe shop; I really like the boy who is so good to Pansy. But he wears a mask of hate and bigotry. Until he stops being such a ruddy ponce, I won't say a kind word to him."
Draco seemed to become more and more miserable with every word she said. "But… I want you back! You were my friend first!"
So now we get down to it. "Then change." She stared into his moon touched eyes. His dead lifeless face flashed across her mind. I want him to…"Pl- please change Draco." … for me.
His eyes welled up with tears. "I am better than them! Mum always told me… she always said…"
Harry could tell he was having some sort of fight with himself. So she sat, watching clouds drift slowly over the moon with Draco at her side. He would occasionally grumble or mumble something under his breath. It was a nice night out. Her thoughts drifted aimlessly. Everything from future Quidditch practices, to homework, to Ron and Hermione not getting along, to Ginny. I wonder what she's doing? Maybe she's awake too, staring at the same moon.
She felt a hand fall on top of her own. "I can try," Draco said sincerely. It had been fifteen… maybe twenty minutes before those words left his lips. "I won't say I'll- WEASLEY!"
Harry whirled around. There, in their pajamas, stood Ron, Hermione, and Neville. Ron's mouth was open a bit as he stared at the two of them sitting on the large sill. No one spoke.
Sensing what Ron was thinking had become pretty easy for Harry over the last week. He was an open book. She could see now, that he was too overcome with shock to feel anything else, but she knew what would come next: anger. She headed it off. Walking over to Ron, she placed her arms around his waist, hugged him tightly, and said, "It's okay Ron. We were just talking." Her words seemed to jolt him out of his shock as one of his arms came up protectively around her, while the other drew his wand.
"If you had hurt Harry… I would have killed you Malfoy. No questions asked." Draco sneered at him. "I saw that note you put on her at dinner. And I saw you leave the common room Harry. Neither of you were very subtle about it you know. I thought he must have blackmailed you or something. I would have been right behind you if these two buggers hadn't slowed me up." Ron seemed to be less angry at Draco and more angry at himself.
Hermione opened her mouth to say, "That's very unfair Ronald. Neville just got locked out and I was just concerned about where you were going. You could have lost us so many points!"
"I bloody well don't care about points Hermione! I care about Harry! She's my friend. I thought she was yours as well!"
"But Ronald-"
"GUYS!" Everyone stopped speaking. "Look." Neville was pointing into the corner of the room. Mrs. Norris had come out from behind a tapestry. Filch.
Panicking, Harry whispered, "Everyone… run!"
Out the door, down the steps, past the statue of Barnabus the Barmy, around the corner… Peeves was hovering upside down, juggling several large glassy items that looked to be from the nearest classroom. When he saw them however, a large grin broke out on his face.
"Ooo ickle firsties out of bed. Naughty naughty. Should tell Filch I should." Before Harry could reason with the little creature, she saw Draco draw his wand. "Get out of the way you filthy geist!"
"NO DRACO!" But the jinx was already off. The glass items Peeves had been juggling fell to the floor with a tumultuous CRASH. "STUDENTS OUT OF BED! STUDENTS OUT OF BED! DOWN THE CHARMS CORRIDOR!
Peeves zoomed away cackling madly, rattling windows, toppling suits of armor, and in general, just making an astounding racket. They bolted to the end of the hall and slammed into a locked door.
"Oh no!" whined Ron.
"We're done for!" said Draco simultaneously.
"Stop being idiots the both of you. Hermione take care of this will you? I don't want to explode it." Harry stepped aside so Hermione could get at the door.
Hermione whipped out her wand and said, "Alohomora." The lock clicked open and they ran inside. They could hear footsteps pounding down the corridor.
"Peeves! Where are they? Who was it?" Filch was saying loudly. "Was it those terrible twins? Peeves don't you- come back here!" The yelling voice of Filch got softer and softer as he chased the poltergeist away.
Alice was sliding about her bicep rapidly. "Thiss wass not a good place to hide chica. A demon lurkss."
"Ummmm Harry?"
"Yeah. I see it Neville." Harry saw that in the center of the corridor they had just entered, slept a giant, black, foul smelling, three headed, absolutely terrifying dog. "Everyone back away slowly. Back through the door."
"OUCH Ron my foot…" Hermione yelped…. and six pairs of large yellow eyes snapped open.
"Go!" Harry pulled out her wand. She felt the same tingling she would get whenever she was about to do magic. The dog scrambled to its feet and charged. Ginny… dead. Ron...dead. Hermione… dead. "ALOHOMORA!" she screamed. The discharge between her wand and the dog was enormous. It sent the massive thing flying into a wall and blew them all back through the open door. Neville had enough sense to get to his feet and slam the door shut, while the rest of them lay dazed. Neville surprisingly took charge, albeit stuttering everything he said in fear.
"Everyone… up, come… come on! Filch will… will have heard that! We have to… to get out of here." They pushed themselves up… well, except Draco who was moaning on the ground.
Ron said, "Malfoy come on. This way."
"I don't need your help Weasley!"
Ron laughed coldly and said, "Suit yourself you stupid blighter. You're on your own."
The four Gryffindors ran as fast as they could back to the tower.
"Pig snout!" shouted Harry. The Fat Lady jolted awake but Harry swung her forward before she could reprimand them. They launched themselves in and collapsed onto the sofas in front of the dying fire.
After catching her breath, Hermione just said, "Goodnight," gave Ron a good solid glare, and left for their dorm room. Harry knew she would be getting an earful from her later. Harry and the two boys sat and watched the fire trickle down. Quite suddenly Neville started chuckling... then Ron joined him... then herself. In seconds, they were all laughing uproariously.
They heard Percy thumping on the ceiling from his dormitory above the common room. There was a muffled, "Quiet down there!"
Ron sighed. "Harry… next time you go off in the middle of the night to have a friendly chat with the biggest berk in school… tell me… so I can -not follow you."
She smiled, stood, kissed him on the cheek, and headed up to bed. Noble Ron Weasley. My savior.
0000
0000
0000
0000
A bludger slammed into her elbow. There was a loud crack and she screamed. "AGGHHH! DAMNIT FRED!" A sharp piercing whistle sounded in the air. Thank god. She pulled her Nimbus out of its dive. Rain was pounding down on her and she almost lost her one handed grip on the finely polished handle. She steered the broom back toward the ground, cradling her broken arm to her chest. When the grass was close enough, she rolled off her broom and fell into the mud with a squelch. The rest of the team was soaring down and running toward the center of the pitch.
Harry held up her good arm and waved, breathing heavily. "I'm alright. Just… I think I broke my arm! God Fred… you can hit like a freight train." She let out a howl of pain as Oliver knelt down, sopping wet, and straightened her arm.
Fred sighed, pinching his eyes. "Merlin Harry, I'm sorry. I thought you were George and you'd serve me back. Ollie… we need to call this mess. None of us can see a thing! Angelina slammed into the stands not ten minutes ago. Why are we still at it?"
Olliver grunted and stood. "Harry, do you think you can get up to Madam Pomfrey and back down here in twenty minutes or so? We have the pitch for another hour and-"
Alicia moaned, "Ollie how can you even ask that? Her arm is broken, it's Holloween, it's 7 AM, and it's pouring!"
"I KNOW THAT! But we have to practice! Our game is in a week! ONE WEEK! I don't know about you lot, but I refuse to once again be taunted by Flint for an entire year."
"Olliver…" Harry shifted her weight onto her legs and stood. "I can't get out of the Hospital Wing that quickly anyway. I've been on Dreamless Sleep potion for nearly two months. Pomfrey will insist on putting me through a full checkup."
She watched as the fifth year paced back and forth. Angelina had to hit him in the shoulder before he finally threw up his hands and yelled, "Alright alright! Practice is over. Hit the showers. Harry go and get that arm fixed up."
Madam Pomfrey did indeed put her through a full exam. After a half an hour of muttering to herself and dragging her wand along Harry's body, the mediwitch sat down on the edge of the bed and grasped her hands. "The potion is making you weaker deary. Another… another week or so and then your body will start to need it… you'll have to go into withdrawal before then and… and start experiencing the dreams… I don't know what I can… well. Let's fix that arm up at least, shall we?"
An hour later she was standing under a shower in the Gryffindor locker rooms. Have faith… I just need to have faith. She leant back against the cool shower tile and let the water pump down over her chest; closing her eyes and taking everything in. She had rapidly become the most infamous and talked about girl in school for three reasons. One, well… because she was Harry Potter. Two, because she was the youngest student in a century to play on a house Quidditch team. Three, because she was brilliant, knew every one of her books by heart, and yet couldn't perform the smallest ounce of magic without something in the nearby vicinity exploding violently. For the past two months, whispers and rumors followed her everywhere.
"Did you hear she blew up a toilet?"
"I heard she bought her way onto the team."
"I bet she's just an overpowered squib."
She slid down the wall, wrapped her arms around her knees, and cried.
In a few weeks... I'll be in St. Mungo's… going insane.
The warm water sliding over her back soothed her mind, as well as her aching muscles. I'm going to have to tell Ron and Hermione… and the team as well. She could imagine Ron's face. Head cocked slightly to the side, mouth open, blue eyes wide. Hermione would most likely just forego shock and rush to the library to look up anything that would help her. Olliver would of course burst into tears, as his dream of at last winning the cup, slipped once again through his fingers.
Her first class of the day was Charms. They were trying levitation today. Ron, who had been paired with Hermione, was grumbling under his breath about where she could stick the feather she was trying to show him how to levitate. Harry had, of course, been paired with Seamus. They ware the two likeliest people to explode something, and thus were seated at a table far from the others.
"Well Harry? You ready?"
"Nope."
"Well… good enough for me then."
Ginny lying at her feet, throat slit, amber eyes dull. NO! "Wingardium Leviosa!"
BOOM
Harry was thrown violently backward as the desk exploded. Professor Flitwick repaired it with a flick of his wand and sighed. "Ahh well. No need to try again I think, Miss Potter."
So she had sat, watching the rest of the class levitate feathers for the whole hour, after which Professor Flitwick dismissed them with a sad glance in her direction. "I want a roll of parchment on some practical uses of the levitation spell please; due Monday. Do enjoy the Holloween feast."
Ron stomped over to her in a huff. He didn't say anything, but he did get steadily more and more annoyed as they walked out into the hall and down the staircases toward the dungeons. His steps got fiercer and fiercer before he finally exploded, " HOW CAN YOU STAND HER? She's bloody awful! Sitting there, telling me everything I'm doing wrong in that… bossy… annoying… voice." He was gesticulating wildly, waving his arms a bit like a windmill. "I spent more time in that class getting bossed around than I did actually practicing the spell! Honestly Harry, she's the biggest bloody know-it-all in the history of know-it-alls."
Harry grinned slyly. "I'm a know-it-all too Ron. We're good to have around. We... know things. Besides, she was just trying to help you." She thought maybe some humor would lighten him up, but it seemed however, to only fan the flame of his anger.
"Yeah well at least you don't rub it in everyone's face! I mean, she's a nightmare! IT'S LEVI-OOOOO-SA NOT LEVIO-SAAAAAA! Harry, why are you even her friend?" Ron had gotten louder and louder as he went on, voice echoing off the corridor walls. When he finished his tirade, she heard a sob from right behind them. Hermione pushed roughly into Ron's shoulder as she ran past.
Harry sighed heavily. This situation had been coming on for a long time. "Oh Ron … she heard you! Look I know you're angry but… I think she's just trying to be your friend… Ron she doesn't understand that everyone isn't as brilliant as she is. You go on ahead… I'm going to go after her. I'll meet you in Potion's." Ron scoffed at her words, but he seemed rather guilty that Hermione had heard him.
Harry chased off after her bushy haired friend. She knew where Hermione was headed. The library. As she rounded a corner and approached its doors, she could hear Madam Pince's loud shushing echoing out. She ran into the antechamber of the library. Madam Pince was returning to her clerk's desk.
"Excuse me Madame Pi-"
"Biographies I believe, Miss Potter." Madam Pince pushed up her glasses and ruffled the papers on her desk.
"Thank you Ma'am." Harry walked quickly through the large double doors on the right of the chamber and up the spiraling staircase to the 4th floor. She walked through the stacks, looking down each one for Hermione. She heard soft crying coming from the R-S stack.
And there she was, sitting on the floor, sobbing gently into her knees.
"Hermione…"
"Go away Harry… please go away."
Harry didn't go away. She couldn't. Walking over to Hermione, she sat down and put her arm around the girl. As soon as she did, Hermione's head hit her shoulder and her sobs got much more intense. Harry sat with her in silence, giving what comfort she could. When her choking sobs had slowed to sniffling, Harry felt brave enough to ask, "why do you… why do you want him to like you so much Hermione? You lecture him so much more than everyone else."
Hermione shrugged. Harry put her arms around her and hugged tightly. Hermione leaned into Harry's embrace, still sniffling. "He'll... he'll come around. He doesn't know you like I do. Do you want to go to Potions? I think we have a few minutes left." Harry asked her. Hermione shook her head. Harry said cheerily, "Detention with Snape. Always a good time."
Hermione let out a half sob, half laugh and said, "You… You g-g-go Harry. I'll b-be fine alone."
"Hermione I'm not just going to le-"
Hermione cut Harry off. "No... Harry... go. I n-need some time."
I don't want to leave her by herself. "Are you… are you sure Hermione?
"Yeah, I'll be fine."
Harry gave her one last hug, and left the library, making her way to the dungeons. Snape of course, being the miserable old bat that he is, gave her detention the second she entered… three minutes late. "Detention tomorrow Potter. Perhaps some honest work scrubbing the excess potion off the floors will resize your overly large ego." The Slytherins all laughed… all except Draco, who continued his work as if nothing had happened. Maybe he's finally… no. He's still a berk to Ron and Hermione when I'm not around; he's a berk to everyone really. He's just putting on a show… but he is trying I suppose.
She glared at Snape as she sat down in the empty seat next to Neville. Ron turned around but before he could ask whatever he wanted to ask, Snape swept down on him. "Eyes front Weasley. You may flirt with Potter on your own time… but not on mine." Ron flushed scarlet and turned back to his cauldron.
Harry began to worry when Hermione did not show up to Transfiguration, DADA, or Herbology. It was definitely not like her to miss a lesson, let alone four. She checked the stacks in the library, but she was nowhere to be found. Hermione was most likely brooding in places unknown and Ron was being shirty about it. "Ron you really upset her. She's not in the library… I… I don't know where she's gone off too."
"So? Ser.. serves her right." Harry could tell he didn't mean it and that he felt guilty for even saying it. He's so damn stubborn. They both are.
"I heard her in the bathroom outside of Transfiguration, crying," said Parvati. She had come up behind them, overhearing their conversation. "She's probably still there."
"Thanks Parvati. We need to go look for her after dinner Ron… you need to apologize."
Ron pushed his hand though his hair and sighed, "I… I know. How do you say you're sorry… without actually apologizing?"
Holloween dinner was a spectacular event, but Harry wasn't really in the mood for festivities. She was about to go insane after all. She was about to get trucked off to the loony bin. She was about to start reliving Voldemort's murders for a month, until she came out of the withdrawal and could get back on the Dreamless Sleep potion; and to top it off Dumbledore had essentially told her that neither her mind nor body would be the same after a month of the Petrifying Dream.
She leaned over and grabbed Ron's hand under the table, squeezing it. He looked up at her from his very large bite of meat pie. "Harruh? Was -ong?" He swallowed his bite. "What's wrong?"
Harry scooted over on the bench and whispered under her breath, "Ron… there's… there's something I haven't been telling you… I'm… well I'm going to have to leave school in a bit. The potion… it's… well it's taking its toll. I'm going to have to start having the dreams."
Ron's brows furrowed. "No… Harry... I… I won't let you. I'll come with you! I'll wake-"
"You can't stay with me every night to bring me back from it Ron. I'd die from sleep loss." Harry brushed her thumb over his knuckles.
"Harry don't say that! There's… another way… isn't there?" He squeezed her hand, eyes searching her face rather desperately.
Harry nodded and said shakily… "There is but… I can't do it without doing-"
The doors to the Great Hall burst open violently. Everyone swiveled on the benches to see a deathly white Professor Quirrel come charging down the length of the hall shouting, "TROLL - IN THE DUNGEONS!" He ran up to Dumbledore, and gripped the edge of the head table before saying in a small voice, "thought you ought to know." Quirrel fainted.
There was a moment of silence, and then chaos broke loose over the hall; people were running, screaming, Fred and Geroge were dancing on top of a table.
BANG BANG BANG
Purple fireworks exploded from the tip Dumbledore's wand and everyone froze instantly … even the twins. The old man stood and said in a very calm voice, "Prefects please escort your Houses to their common rooms, inside which, you will continue the feast. Teachers, to the dungeons if you please." The staff of Hogwarts, marched out of the hall with the exception of Quirrel who was unconscious, and Snape, who she had seen slip off into an antechamber. What a coward.
Ron was tugging at her sleeve and she turned to him. He was as pale as a ghost and very slowly he groaned, "Harry… Hermione she… she doesn't know about the troll!"
They were being marched out of the Hall by Percy, who was shouting at everyone to remain calm and reminding them of his status as a Prefect. Out in the Entrance Hall, as soon as Percy turned his back on them, Harry grabbed Ron's hand and pulled him away down the closest hallway that led to Transfiguration. She vaguely heard Neville cry out, "Oi! Where are you two going then?" I hope Percy didn't hear him.
They rounded the corner to the Transfiguration corridor and heard a very high pitched scream as well as a loud SMASH from inside a room down the hall.
Ron dashed forward. "That was Hermione! Harry come on!" Before she could protest he had darted down the hallway and into the room.
"Ron wait!" She ran in after him. She saw Hermione cowering in a corner as the huge troll towered over her. Harry found it hard to take in the massive thing, mainly because she was too occupied with its large spiked club, blood dripping from the end. "HERMIONE! MOVE!" The troll began to lift its club to swing at the cowering girl, but Ron, foregoing his magic, in what seemed to be the bravest or stupidest thing Harry had ever seen him do, latched on to a spike and rose off the ground. The troll noticed and began shaking the club wildly, trying to throw the boy off. After five or six massive shakes Ron went flying and smashed into a mirror above the sink. He fell and lay still.
NO! RON! OH GOD! The giant creature raised its club, focusing once again on Hermione. Harry raised her wand.
Ginny had a large gash across her chest… blood pooling at Harry's feet.
"Wingardi- Wingar-"
Hermione screamed as the club started advancing downward. Harry saw it all in slow motion.
Ginny's lifeless eyes… She saw Ron's prone form on the tile; Hermione's fearful face… They were going to die! Here! Now! Dumbledore's voice echoed through her mind. I have faith… faith that you, Harry, will always choose to use your magic for good. She felt her body tingling and she cried, "WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!"
She had been aiming for the club… but she missed. She hit the troll instead. It roared and flailed wildly as it soared into the air, bellowing it's rage.
Electricity hummed through Harry's veins. Her blood pounded in her ears. She felt alive. She felt wonderful. Ginny was smiling at her; Ron was laughing with her; Hermione was reading with her; Draco was smirking at her; Hagrid was patting her shoulder. Dumbledore's voice echoed through her mind once more. Do not be afraid of it Harry. Embrace it.
This is… This is GREAT! A giant piece of the ceiling was smashed away by the trolls club and very nearly flattened Hermione. … Right. She grabbed her wand like a cricket bat, drew it back, and swung with all her might. The troll had moved with her wand, sailing, as fast as her swing, into the nearest wall headfirst. There was an earth shattering boom, a sickening CRACK, … and the troll fell to the ground, unmoving. She saw the giant club levitate over top the troll, and it came down with a thud on its head. Hermione was standing now, wand out. She grinned at Harry shakily and said, "just for good measure."
They stood in the wreckage of burst sink pipes and shattered glass, steadily becoming wetter and wetter as water sprayed all over them. Her body was still humming and she couldn't really see the room around her. I have to do more! "ALOHOMORA!" All six bathroom stalls flew open with a bang. "AGUAMENTI!" Water shot out of her wand like it would from a fire hose. "EXPULSO!" The mirrors exploded violently. Spell after spell she cast, every bit of magic she knew was burning through her mind like a wildfire. Her wand was vibrating from the energy of the constant casting. She laughed with joy, overwhelming joy, while at the same time crying her eyes out. They were tears of sorrow, of joy, of pure unblemished relief.
This was how Professor McGonagall found her. Sobbing, pulsing with energy, making rainbows, conjuring bubbles, transfiguring things into chairs, levitating rubble and making it zoom around her. It must have been an odd sight because Professor McGonagall screamed out "POTTER? What are you-" Her eyes widened. She had seen the troll lying dead on the tile.
"Potter did you-" She gestured to the giant thing.
"Yeah. We did.
Ron groaned and Harry ran to his side. Hermione was already there, holding his head in her lap. McGonagall said nothing, just shot a silver light out of her wand that raced off out the door and up the corridor.
Ron's eyes fluttered open. "Was happened? Did… did I get it?"
Hermione laughed, bent down, and kissed his cheek. "Yeah Ron, you got it."
"Oh good." His arms wrapped around Hermione's leg and he cuddled it, much like one would a teddy bear. He closed his eyes and after a moment let out a loud snore.
Hermione giggled and poked his head, "How can he be sleeping?"
Harry smiled down at the boy, "Silly bugger always gets sleepy after he eats. Merlin I thought… I thought he was…"
Hermione nodded and brushed the shaggy hair out of Ron's eyes. "Me too," she said.
It was at that moment that Professors Dumbledore, Snape, Quirrel and Sinistra entered the bathroom.
"Minerva what has happened? Did you subdue it?" asked Snape. He glared at Harry.
Professor McGonagall shook her head, "It was not me Severus. It was-"
Professor Dumbledore stepped forward and interrupted them. "Miss Granger, would you please accompany Mr. Weasley to the Hospital wing. Sylvia my dear, would you escort them. Severus, Quentin, Minerva, I trust you can take care of the body. Miss Potter, if you could follow me to my office please; that would be lovely." And without another word, he strode out of the bathroom.
Harry gave Hermione a quick hug, patted Ron's cheek, avoiding the small bit of drool, then ran after him. "Professor, I did it!"
"Yes Harry most excellent. May I ask how you are feeling?" He strode purposefully and Harry with her moderately short legs, found it hard to keep up.
Jogging along with him, she said exuberantly, "wonderful sir! I feel alive and.. and… oh I can't explain it!"
The Headmaster chuckled, "Yes I suspected as much. Two months of pent up magic is trying to release itself from your body all at once. If you could Harry, would you light your wand?"
She pulled it out and whispered, "Lumos!" A light as bright as the sun exploded from her wand tip. Shielding her eyes, Harry quickly put it out. Dumbledore merely "hmmmmm'd," and walked on. Once they were in his office, Dumbledore sat, folded his hands and said, "Very well Harry, you know what to do."
/FLASHBACK/
Dumbledore sat across from her eyes closed, wand held to his chest. Harry could feel the magic in the air, flowing around her. The man was breathing deeply in and out on a steady count of seven. Harry watched as his eyelid's fluttered, as if he were dreaming. And then quite suddenly, his eyes were open. His pupils were… gone… as were the whites of his eyes. It was as if his irises had expanded and filled up his entire eye with a deep blue. He spoke.
"Magic Augmentation Harry. We locate our core by finding the thread of magic connecting it to our wand. We find the core's connection to the mind and picture an hourglass; the sand at the bottom is our magical core, the empty glass at the top is our mind. Using that one powerful sense from our happy memory, a sense that we can experience physically in our mind, we flip the hourglass around it. The magic flows into the mind like the sand from a flipped hourglass. It fills your thoughts, fills your dreams, leaving no space for the nightmares to come to you. It will protect you as you sleep, making the need for the potion nonexistent. We cannot do magic without flipping the hourglass back to our core. Do you understand in essence what I'm telling you Harry?"
"Yeah… yes sir. I think so." I don't have a clue. But I'll figure it out.
/END FLASHBACK/
Harry placed her wand to her chest, and began to breathe deeply on a count of seven. Pheonix feather. Pheonix feather. Pheonix feather… AH there you are. Harry walked along the thread to the large white sun burning majestically in front of her. She looked at the top of the sun and saw another thread extending upward; which she found herself walking on. There was another sun up ahead, but smaller, cooler, touchable. And she stepped inside it.
Ginny was staring at her, amber eyes sparkling in the sun. She opened her mouth a few times like fish.
"I'll write you every week."
"Really Harry? You… you don't have-"
"I want to."
Ginny shrieked in joy and threw herself at Harry for a hug. It was the first real hug she had ever received and she returned it happily, inhaling a deep breath.
Strawberries. Strawberries.
Harry clung to her, breathing her in. Her hands tangled in the hair at the base of Ginny's neck… and she flipped the hourglass. She could taste strawberries in her mouth, smell them in the air.
"Oh well done Harry." She opened her eyes. The world had a green tinge. No longer could she feel the power humming through her. But she saw it in her mind. A blazing sun. Raging and burning. She was acutely aware of everything. She could hear Fawkes and Alice… breathing. She could feel student's walking along the corridor outside. She could smell the grass of grounds though the open window. She could sense… everything.
Dumbledore passed her a small mirror. Looking into it, she no longer saw her mother's eyes. Just green, all encompassing green. Dumbledore smiled proudly. "You Harry, are now the only person, besides myself, to ever master this technique. I must say I am impressed."
But Harry didn't quite hear him. Her body was tingling. She felt the intense heat of the sun in her mind. She smelled strawberries. She could feel the warmth rushing down… Ohhh… oh my gosh. Harry moaned and clenched her legs together tightly. So much heat.
"Yes Harry. I quite understand. Perhaps you could flip the hourglass back?" She did so quickly. After the heat left her and the humming of her magic returned, she knew she had turned bright red. Dumbledore laughed and spoke, "Merely a temporary reaction. I believe that within a few short months you will no longer feel the heat of your core. That at least, was my own experience."
"O-Okay sir," she panted heavily, catching her breath. Dumbledore offered her a lemon drop which she gratefully took. After she had calmed, she ventured a question that she had been thinking on for quite some time. "Professor Dumbledore sir? Does this mean I don't have to come to your office every night?"
The old man laughed and gazed questioningly at her over his half moon spectacles. "Yes I believe it does my dear girl. Are you asking me this because you tire of an old man's gasbagging, or because you wish to return to my office still?"
"The- the second sir. I want to… I was wondering if you would… teach me more magic. Real magic."
"All magic is real magic Harry. But I do understand what you mean… and no… I'm very sorry Harry, but I cannot." She deflated miserably but Dumbledore said quickly, "You misunderstand Harry. It is not that I do not wish to. It is that I cannot. I am a Grand Sorcerer of the 7th Circle. It is forbidden, by the ancient contracts of our order, to take a personal apprentice younger than fifteen years of age. You are an extremely talented young witch Harry. I have seen into your mind and your heart is truly pure. In the future, if you still wish it and you have not tired of me, you may become my apprentice."
Dumbledore smiled warmly at her. "Now… I believe there is a feast waiting for you in your common room. You should hurry back Harry, before all the treacle tart has gone."
0000
0000
0000
0000
He had been so close. So close to catching Quirrel red handed. He had followed him into the third floor corridor. But there had been a monstrous beast guarding the entrance. Hagrid's protection no doubt… the stupid oaf. While he was trying to deal with the beast, Quirrel had slipped away, right through his fingers.
"GODDAMNIT ARGUS THAT STINGS! BE CAREFUL!"
The balding man growled at him. "If you don want my `elp Severus, I'll gladly leave yeh and yer poisoned wound in peace."
He was about to reply when Lily cried out "OH! Professor Snape … I… I have detention." His head snapped up at the voice he had missed for so long. Potter was standing in his doorway, staring at his bloody leg with shock. He quickly threw his robe back down.
"Potter! Get out of my sight. Your detention is canceled." He watched as Lily ran like the wind out his door, black hair flying wildly behind her.
Damn you Potter.
0000
0000
0000
"She really is amazing isn't she Draco," said Pansy. "I thought she had bought her way onto their team but… I don't think Victor Krum could have pulled off that last move." She said it in a way that made him think agreeing with her was a poor idea, especially if he wanted to look at her Charms essay tonight. Oh dear. She's jealous. He said nothing but scooted closer to her and gripped her hand. He brushed a thumb across hers and watched as her face softened. The November air was freezing. A terrible day for Quidditch. A terrible day for Slytherin as well; they were being slaughtered.
He turned his attention back to the game and watched as Harry flipped under her broom to avoid an oncoming bludger, and then turned the movement into an upside down dive to avoid Marcus, who attempted to Blatch her 'by accident.' Harry had been Blagged, Blatched, Blurted, and Cobbed the entire game. And still she remained on her broom, pulling off truly spectacular moves to avoid the Slytherin team's dirty playing. Flint was a terrible captain. His gameplan seemed to consist of 'take the seeker out of the game, wait till we're only down by 140, then attempt to find the snitch.' The Gryffindor chasers had been racking up penalty shots like it was their job… well it was their job. It was 240 to 60.
The crowd gasped as Harry, black hair and scarlet robes whipping wildly around her, shot toward the teacher's booth. He saw the snitch hovering right above the highest flag. The Slytherin seeker was miles away from it. Flint and Bletchley both tried desperately to grab Harry's broom tail, but she corkscrewed around both of them. She makes it look like it's as easy as breathing. She caught the little thing in seconds and the game was over. She really is amazing Pansy. He watched her fly high up above the grounds clenching the little ball in the air. Everyone started to leave the stands, but Draco's eyes were glued to Harry. Her broom was jerking violently from side to side. He held up his binoculars and saw that Harry's green eyes were open wide in fright. She… she isn't controlling it! People started to gasp and point up at her. Her broom was bucking, and weaving, and flipping; it was amazing she hadn't fallen.
There's only one thing that can do that to a Nimbus!
He searched the Slytherin crowd wildly, frantically, and then he saw him. Professor Snape, four rows over, was muttering rapidly under his breath, eyes locked onto Harry. A jinx. What's he playing at! I know he hates her but… He excused himself from Pansy, saying he had to visit the bathroom, and rushed down the row. This is going to hurt. When he got close enough to Professor Snape, he purposely tripped over his own feet, and slammed into the Potion Master's back. Snape fell forward and crashed into Professor Quirrel, who squealed girlishly, gripping his turban as he too fell.
"I'm so sorry Professor! I tripped!"
Snape got up, looked up at Harry who had regained control and was flying quickly back to the ground, then rounded on him. "Idiot boy! Ten points from… Go away!"
The slimy bastard. He really was jinxing the broom.
He waited up outside the Gryffindor Locker room. Many of the celebrating Gryffindors were giving him very odd looks as they passed. She came out alone in her regular robes, hair wet, sticking to her face and neck, buttoning up the last few notches of her blouse. She jumped when she saw him standing right outside. Damn, what is that green?
"Dra-Draco? What are you doing-"
Draco cut her off. "It was Snape, Harry. He was jinxing your broom I saw it. I fell on him and a second later you got control of your broom back."
She looked shocked but not skeptical.
"Are you… Draco are you sure?" It looked like she was thinking hard. Like she was working on a puzzle.
"Positive Harry." She solved whatever puzzle she was working on and… grinned.
"Draco?... Why did you fall on Snape?" She was smiling at him as if she knew the answer already.
"Oh… I…" Draco tried to tell her he would have done it again and again but no words came to him. She laughed, flashing him the smile he so longed to see, punched him in the arm, and said sincerely, "Thanks Draco."
0000
0000
0000
Ron was speechless. Malfoy had saved her? But... that's... that's my job! He watched Harry pace back and forth in Hagrid's cabin.
"I saw Snape doing it but by the time I got over there, Harry was already back on the ground." Hermione was shaking her head. "I still can't believe a teacher would do something like that."
Harry scoffed, "Oh come on Hermione, he hates my guts, and he knows I saw his wound from that giant three headed dog. He was trying to off me so I wouldn't tell anyone!"
There was a sound of breaking china. Hagrid had crushed the teacup he was holding in his hand. He was sputtering, "`Arry, `ow do you know bout Fluffy?"
"Fluffy? You mean that horrifying thing has a name?" he shouted.
"Course he does! He's mine. He's a right sweetheart and a great guard dog," said Hagrid, sopping up the spilled tea.
Harry asked quickly, "What's he guarding then? That little package? Nicholas Flamel wanted Professor Dumbledore to guard something. Hagrid what is it? Snape's trying to steal it! I know he is."
"`Arry I'm not tellin yer nuthin. It's fer yer own good," Hagrid said in a tone that was very final."
Harry sighed. Ron knew she was frustrated. She had a fierce need to know everything that was going on. "Hey Harry, let's go flying eh? I'll use a school broom."
"Ron... she was just nearly chucked from her broom, I'm sure she doesn't-"
Harry cut Hermione off. "Yeah Ron. Let's go. Hermione come fly with us."
Hermione spluttered a bit, "Oh I was going to go to the... but… well… I can't fly."
He laughed, "I'll teach you Hermione. Come on." I love watching her blush.
Circe flew up to them while they were walking to the pitch. She dropped a letter in both his and Harry's hand. Ginny.
Dear Favorite Brother,
Please come home for Christmas. I'm going out of my mind. Mum's mothering me all over the place. Come home. Share the load. Invite Harry as well. Mum's fine with it. But don't tell her I said it. She might think I'm obsessing over her or something.
Love,
Ginny
"Harry, Ginny wants to know if you would like to come over for Christmas break. She doesn't want you to know she said it because she's worried you'll think she's obsessed with you."
Harry laughed, "Ron… you're the worst brother ever you know that? Well… do you want me over for Christmas then?"
He shrugged. "Yeah course I do. You're my best mate after all."
"Yeah Ron. I'd love to." She slipped her arm around him and leaned into his side. He noticed Hermione stalk ahead of them rather fiercely.Weird. What's got her knickers in a twist?
0000
0000
0000
0000
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
Questions are answered on the review board.
So….. REVIEW!
Looking for someone to Beta-Grammar specific
Did anyone like my Plimpy song? I actually went to the piano and banged out a score for it. :P
Phew. Finally to Christmas, fluff inc. Beware the fluff.
If you're confused about the 7th circle I made it up. I like to think that Dumble's title in the book 'Grand Sorcerer' actually has some significance.