Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 5: Holidays ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I want to take a second and thank everyone that's been reading. It means a lot to know that people are enjoying the story. I've been through a lot bad stuff these past few years and I'm taking those experiences and creating something good from them; a story about the very best thing in life.
Onward with fluff. FLUFF AHOY
Chapter 5: Holidays
Recurrence is the approximate return of a system towards its initial conditions.
Recurrence and sensitive dependence on introduced attractors, are the two main ingredients for chaotic motion.
0000
0000
0000
0000
BOOM
"OUCH!" Hermione cried, pulling back her burnt hand. "Oh I do hate this game! Whichever madman thought exploding cards would be enjoyable needs to be locked up in St Mungo's. Well, I guess I'm out then; a knut on Harry to win." She sat back against the comfy seat, terribly amused at Ron's hurt look, and opened her book.
"Oi!" Ron scoffed huffily at her, throwing down his next card. "Just because she's got fast Quidditch reflexes doesn't mean - OUCH!" The troll card exploded in his hand and Harry slammed her hand down on the pile, shouting her triumph. Ron moaned. "No fair Harry. There was an unlawful distraction by Hermione. I want a Re-do."
Harry and Ron were sharing a compartment with her on the way back to King's Cross, and she was losing rather horribly to both of them at Exploding Snap. Hermione discreetly observed her two best friends over the top of her thick book. Harry had stuck out her tongue playfully, so Ron had jumped on her, viciously tickling her sides.
They're… they're so…
Hermione let out the tiniest of sighs, heard only to her own ears. She knew full well that she would always be their third wheel; the odd one out; the one Harry turned to when Ron wasn't around; the one Ron would joke with when Harry wasn't in the mood for jokes. The one that doesn't get invited to Christmas with Ron... The one he doesn't tickle… Oh shut up brain!
Hermione knew she was blushing so she raised her book even higher. She heard, quite clearly from the squeals, that Harry had lost the tickle-fight... badly. The black-haired girl lay on the floor giggling and gasping for air as Ron stood over her, hands raised in glorious victory. What a dope.
Ron stretched and his stomach let out a low growl of protest. "Merlin's beard, I'm starved. Harry, lets go find the food cart eh? We'll badger the old lady till she gives in and lets us buy snacks early. Do you want anything, Mione?"
She looked up, floored, her cheeks heating rapidly. Mione?... Mione? He just called me Mione. Do I like that?… Yeah… I think I like that. "Oh, um… no, thank you Ron. I'm fine." She buried her head in her book as Harry and Ron left the compartment, hoping to God they hadn't seen what felt like a very deep blush. She leaned her head against the train window, embracing the chill of the glass on her hot cheeks. After the troll… he's so warm now and… he called me… her toes curled up a bit.
The rest of the train ride was uneventful and before she knew it, they were pulling into King's Cross. They unloaded quickly and she saw her parents standing over on Platform Nine, waiting for her to come out of the barrier.
Harry came up to her and hugged her tightly. "See you soon Hermione. Hope you like my present." Hermione patted her on the back and started to pull away, but Harry held on tight and said, "I'll miss you a lot. Write to me, okay? I know it's just two weeks but that's a long time not to see a sister isn't it?" Oh… Harry... She hugged her best friend back as tightly as she could and grinned into Harry's shoulder. Maybe… maybe I'm not the third wheel after all.
After parting with Harry, Ron came up to her and said his farewell, albeit much less eloquently than Harry had. "See you then, eh? Happy Christmas!" He embraced her. Oh. He smells nice doesn't he? Grass and… I dunno; something nice. His shampoo I suppose.
She stepped back, picked up her trunk as best she could, and made for the barrier. "Bye Harry, Bye Ron! Happy Christmas," she called out, waving behind her as the platform disappeared.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Harry hugged Hermione tightly and whispered into her ear, "I'll miss you a lot. Write to me, okay? I know it's just three weeks but that's a long time not to see a sister isn't it?" She pulled away and began to look for the Weasleys as Ron said his goodbye. She found Mr. Weasley, Fred, George, Percy, and someone that appeared to be an older, muscled… and to use Lavender's favorite word, dishy looking Ron, all standing by the barrier. She giggled to herself and searched the rest of the platform..
No Ginny though. Wonder why she didn't come?
After Hermione had departed from the barrier, the older Weasley she didn't know came over to them. He picked Ron up and threw him over his shoulder saying, "alright Ron? Merlin, you're a heavy bugger. I think you might actually be growing. Well… either that or you need to lay off the pumpkin pasties."
Ron pounded on his brother's back. "Charlie, you bloody pillock! Put me down."
Charlie lowered his little brother down to ground, finally getting a good luck at Harry. He ruffled Ron's hair and said in a warning tone, "Oi, don't let mum hear you talking like that. You'll get a 'Scourgify' in your mouth faster than you can say 'Quidditch.' Is this Harry then? …. Well… course it is, isn't it? She looks just like what you and Ginny described." He winked at her. "Ron and Ginny don't quite ever shut up about you in their letters you know? I feel like I know you better than my own- Ow!"
Ron had punched him in the arm. "Shut it. Can you levitate our trunks over to dad then?" Charlie waved his wand, making all the luggage around them hop up into the air. They made their way over to the rest of the Weasleys, exchanging farewells and 'Happy Christmas' with their classmates.
Mr. Weasley clapped Ron on the shoulder and smiled warmly at Harry. "Let's be off then. The train was a bit late and we wouldn't want to worry Molly."
In the Weasley's car, Harry must have dozed off onto Ron's shoulder because one minute, they were at the train station and the next, they were jostling down a tiny country lane. The trees had a light covering of snow that made them sparkle in the fading sunlight. They passed a small village and a large tower-like house surrounded by fragrant banana trees. There was a little slither on her upper arm and a small hiss that could only be described as a moan.
She nudged Ron and pointed, with a raised eyebrow, to the odd house. He chuckled a bit saying, "Oh that's the Lovegood's. They're a riot they are. I think mum said they're in Australia for the holidays though."
The car trundled on down the path and she could just make out an oddly shaped silhouette against the sun touched horizon. It looked like a very tall, very crooked… something. As they drew closer Harry saw that it was a farm house. The house had rooms sticking out of its roof at every possible angle. She was shocked when she heard Ron say, "Well… this is it; The Burrow." He noticed her shocked look and said, "I know it's not much but-"
Harry shook her head and cut him off. "Oh, it's wonderful Ron! Where's your room?"
Ron pointed to the top of house. "That little window… there; right at the top."
"Will I stay with you?" Harry asked.
Ron rubbed the back of his head and laughed a bit nervously. "Oh… no, you'll be with Ginny probably… that window there." He pointed to a room that stuck, unsupported, out of the tower leading to Ron's room. She could see a large poster through the window. The room was overlooking the orchard next to them. I bet she has a beautiful view.
Mr. Weasley pulled the car into a large shed filled with broken electric appliances. Before she could even turn to question Ron, he leaned over and whispered into her ear, "Dad's a bit muggle obsessed. He pulls this stuff apart, enchants it, then puts it all back together again. Drives mum bonkers. She says he'll have to arrest himself soon. He works in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office at the Ministry."
Harry opened the car door and there was a loud crash. Mr. Weasley chuckled and cut her off as she started to apologize profusely. "Don't worry about it one bit, Harry. That bike hasn't worked in years."
She nodded, but apologized anyway and looked down at the large motorbike she had knocked over. It was black and rusted but… familiar.Isn't that the same… "Mr. Weasley… is that Hagrid's bike by any chance?"
"What? Oh no… well, yes actually… I suppose it is now. It belonged to… to your godfather before that. He gave it to Hagrid."
"My… my godfather? I have a godfather? Where is he?" Harry was bursting with excitement, but when she caught the somber look in Mr. Weasley's face, she deflated considerably.
"Sirius isn't… well, he's not around anymore." Mr. Weasley looked away quickly and began marching their luggage up to the front gate. Oh… dead then…
Tearing her mind from thoughts of godfathers, she walked slowly up the stone path to the open front door of the house. She heard loud voices exclaiming their happy greetings from just inside. When she walked into the warm sitting room, there was a squeal, running footsteps, and then a redheaded blur slammed into her, knocking her down to the snowy ground outside. She was being hugged tightly.
Strawberries. Ginny!
Ginny pulled back and Harry saw that she looked a bit different. Her freckles were much darker and her hair was loose and long around her. Harry didn't know why but her breath hitched in her chest."Ohhh Harry! It's so good to see you. I would have gone to the train station but I had to help mum with dinner. Come inside! You'll stay in my room!" Before Harry could even utter a greeting in return, she was being pulled out of the snow and hauled up the stairs.
Her room is very… Ginnyish.
The walls, at least what she could see of them, were a whitish pink. Quidditch posters and moving photographs of the Weasleys were everywhere. Gwenog Jones took a prominent place over the headboard of Ginny's cozy looking bed. Colorful laundry hung off the dresser and was strewn here and there in small piles, which Ginny hastily kicked into a corner. A nice cot bed lay parallel to Ginny's on the floor. Ginny kicked her shoes off and ran across the room to jump into her bed. She lay there giggling into her large pillow. Harry smiled, took off her shoes and walked across the soft deep carpet to sit next to her. She pulled her feet up on the bed and hugged her knees to her chest, watching her friend giggle away.
Harry poked Ginny in the side of her belly with her foot. "Hey… Gin." Amber- gold flecked eyes met her own questioningly. "Thanks for inviting me."
Ginny groaned and stuffed her head back into her pillow, mumbling words that sounded like ,"Ron… ponce… kill him."
Harry poked her again with a toe. "He's the good kind of ponce though, isn't he?"
She poked again and Ginny wiggled away, shaking with a small laugh. "Oh, I suppose he's a good sort of ponce. There will, of course, be retribution none the less."
Harry nodded primly, saying, "Oh yes, of course." She poked Ginny in the tummy this time and the smaller girl let out a wheeze of giggles, pushing her foot away.
"Don't challenge me Potter. Ron told me all about your knees." Ginny smirked at her.
"You wouldn't dare!" Harry retracted her foot quickly.
Grinning, Ginny sat up and scooted toward her, wiggling her fingers threateningly. "I just might…" and she lunged. Harry shrieked, jumped off the bed and ran from the room, Ginny hot on her heels. They bolted down the stairs and into the sitting room, laughing loudly all the way. Harry ran behind Ron, who was just starting a chess game with his father, and used him as shield between herself and Ginny. She clutched him, panting. Ginny, instead of running around her brother, jumped on him, and reached around his chest to tickle her mercilessly.
"No- No- FAIR!" she gasped. Ron was swaying on the spot with the weight of both Harry and Ginny. With a loud thump, they all toppled to the ground.
"Oi!" Ron pushed himself out from between them. "You nutters almost messed up the board!" Ginny and Harry giggled from the floor. Ron sighed, muttered, "Girls..." under his breath, and sat back down to his game.
After their laughs had subsided, Harry pulled Ginny into a soft hug. Leaning into her ear, she said, "Really Ginny. This is the best."
Ginny's freckled face broke into a wide toothy smile and she tugged Harry to her feet. "Come on. Let's go help my mum. We might be able to knick some turkey."
Dinner smelled and was, quite amazing. Harry knew she hadn't ever had food this good. Ever. She had loaded helping upon helping onto her plate.
Charlie was watching her open mouthed. When she reached for her fourth serving of potatoes he chuckled and said, "Honestly Harry… where do you put it all… you eat more than Bill."
She blushed, grinned, and said, "Quidditch. Olliver puts us through hell."
Charlie laughed loudly. "Olliver? So Wood is captain eh? I remember when he made the team second year. He lives and breathes the game. How many dive runs does he put you through each practice?"
Harry groaned into her potatoes. "About a hundred."
Charlie whistled in shock. "Blimey. That's rough." He patted her understandingly on the shoulder and asked the rest of the table, "does anyone fancy a game tomorrow?" There was a loud cheer of 'yes' and 'absolutely,' that almost drowned out Percy's 'No thank you.'
She was on her fifth helping before she started to feel full. She sat back, happy and content, listening to the idle chatter of a close family. Mrs. Weasley was mothering Fred and George about cutting their hair. Mr. Weasley was asking Charlie about the dragon reserve in Romania. Percy was lecturing Ron about his school habits. Ginny was… watching her. She gave Harry a very warm smile, which Harry returned in full force.
The Weasleys talked late into the night; joking and laughing. There was so much warmth in this house. In this house, happiness and compassion spread like disease. They're all so…
/FLASHBACK/
"Dad… where are Harry's presents?" Dudley asked. He was zooming his airplane about his head.
Uncle Vernon ruffled Dudley's hair and shoved a large package into his hands. "Never you mind Dudders. We gave her a present." Harry thought of the nice wooden coat-hangar they had given her for her dress. It is nice. Dudley ripped open the present and a shiny fire truck lay inside
"Girl, give Dudley his next present." Uncle Vernon waved at her dismissively as he watched his son play with the truck
She walked to the large pile of presents, picked up a smallish one, and brought it back to Dudley, who snatched it greedily out of her hands. She knelt down next to him, looking over his shoulder as he pulled back the wrapping.
A hand found her shoulder and pushed her roughly. "Out of the way," Uncle Vernon shouted. She flew backwards into the sharp edge of the mantle, the flesh of her shoulder tearing open. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't even notice that she was bleeding out onto the rug.
/END FLASHBACK/
loving. They're so loving.
She must have started to tear because her cheeks felt wet. She quickly left the dining room and rushed up the stairs to her cot bed. She threw herself into the covers and let her tears flow freely.
They should have loved me. I loved them but they… why couldn't… why didn't they-
Her bed sunk with a weight that was not her own and she felt a soft hand push her hair back behind her ears. Mrs. Weasley's concerned face swam into view. She drew in a deep breath and asked, "are you alright dear?"
Nodding vigorously, Harry tried to assure Mrs. Weasley that she was, but her tears obviously betrayed her, for Mrs. Weasley sat her up and pulled her to her chest. She held her like… like… like Aunt Petunia should have.
"Shhhhh… it's alright dear. Whatever it is… it'll be alright." Mrs. Weasley stroked her hair. A woman who barely knew her was showing more kindness and compassion than any of her family ever had or ever would. Harry felt another weight sink down on the bed.
"Harry… mate, anything I can do?" Ron's arm slid around her shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze. She shook her head no and leaned into him.
Mrs. Weasley stood saying she'd go make a cup of tea. Ron and Harry remained silent after she had left, yet nothing really needed to be said. Ron knew what she was upset about and she supposed he understood… well… even if he didn't, his presence was comforting none the less.
Harry put her head on Ron's shoulder. "Ron… you don't… you don't have to come running every time I start to blubber you know."
Ron sighed and scratched his head. "Well… actually Harry… I kind of have to, you know? Ever since the train ride… I dunno. I just feel like I have to be there. Don't ask me to explain it eh? It's funny… like I'm not myself when I see you upset. It's like I start channeling my dad."
She nodded, sinking into his arm. His breathing was slow and calm. Quite without purpose, she found her own breath matching his, just like she had done on the train.
Ginny sidled into the room with a steaming mug of what had to be vanilla tea. She sat down on the cot and handed the hot tea to Harry. Ron stood and stretched. "I don't know about you two but I'm knackered." He turned, squeezed her shoulder, and nodded towards the ceiling. "I'm one room up if you need me, eh? I'll ask the ghoul to keep it down tonight. See you two in the morning… Dibs for second ride on the Nimbus." Before Ginny could protest, he dashed from the room.
Harry kept her hair hanging into her face as she drank the delicious tea. She didn't want Ginny to see her all teary eyed and a mess. Ginny didn't seem like the crying type. So they sat on the bed in silence. Ginny kept fidgeting and Harry was sure she wanted to say something.
There was a soft tug at her midsection. Ginny's eyes were downcast and she was fiddling with the black lace on Harry's dress. It was several moments before she said, "We should… we should go to bed then. It's pretty late."
Harry nodded and went to her trunk, pulling out Hermione's T-shirt and pajama bottoms. She wiggled into them quickly and got into the cot bed. Ginny however, undressed slowly. Everything about her movement seemed filled with hesitation. There was obviously something on her mind. I wish she would just say it. As Ginny's clothes peeled away, Harry noticed, even in the dark, that Ginny's freckles went everywhere; across her shoulders, down her back, into her purple polka-dot knickers, up her legs, over her chest… everywhere. She pulled on a long white nightgown, brushed her hair a few times and made for her bed. The quilt and sheets magically peeled back and allowed Ginny to clamber in above Harry, after which they re-tucked themselves.
They lay there for what seemed like ages, both knowing the other was still awake. Finally, in a voice so quiet that Harry almost missed it, Ginny broke the silence. "Was it me?"
"Was what you, Gin?" Harry asked, a bit perplexedly.
Ginny's next words were pained. "I'm sorry alright! I just… I know I was a bit obsessive today… but… I've just… I've just never had a friend as close as you Harry. I must have told you everything about myself in the fifty or so letters I sent. So… I'm sorry if I… came on too strong… or something."
Catching on, Harry sat up quickly and got up onto Ginny's bed. The covers peeled back and allowed her entry as well. "Gin, no of course it wasn't you… you're… wonderful! Your entire family is wonderful." Ginny was still turned away from her. Harry slid over to her, lay down, and wrapped her arm around Ginny's waist.
Ginny pushed her lower back snuggly into Harry's stomach. Her soft red hair was tickling Harry's nose. Oh… Strawberries.
"What… what was it then?" Ginny's body was tense, waiting for her answer; she didn't quite seem to believe Harry's reassurances.
"I… well… I never said in my letters… the Dursleys, they… they didn't treat me so well." She sunk her forehead down to the back of Ginny's neck. "When I saw all of you together… it just… it just made me realize that I've…never had that. The Dursleys… they hate me. Really hate me. They think I'm a… a freak. They made me sleep in a four by four by four coat cupboard! The dress I have… it's the only one I have. My knickers are Hermione's because my old ones were half safety pins! My uncle and cousin they… they would hit me so… so hard! My aunt she- mmph"
Ginny had turned over and placed her hand over Harry's mouth. Harry realized she been loudly sobbing the words into Ginny's neck, loud enough to wake the whole house. She closed her eyes tightly to squeeze out the last of the tears and pushed her cheek into Ginny's cupped hand, trying to calm herself. Ginny was stroking her hair, eyes searching her face wildly.
"I… Gin… I-" She couldn't put words together.
Ginny cut into her mumbling. "Harry why don't you just… just tell me… tell me everything. From the beginning you know? I think it might help."
And she did. She spilled everything out. The flood gates of her brain opened and she told Ginny of her entire life with the Dursleys… things she could never explain in letters. Once she had finished, she felt lighter, sleepier, and… happier.
"Oh Harry…" Ginny had pulled away and was lying on her back, staring up at the ceiling. "No one should ever have to… to never have anyone to…" she trailed off. Ginny suddenly sat up on her elbow, leaned down, and planted a silly, wet, raspberry kiss on Harry's cheek.
Harry squealed and wiped at her cheek. "Ewww, Ginny!"
Ginny grinned at her. "There… your very first kiss. You can tell allllll the boys."
Harry's heart did a little flip at that grin and she laid back down giggling. It was only then that she realized how tired she was, and she let out a huge involuntary yawn. Seconds later, Ginny did the exact same thing and said "they really are contagious aren't they?"
Harry nodded into the pillow and closed her eyes. "I'm so tired. I don't think I can move. Can you just roll me off onto the cot then?"
Ginny, in a small slow voice, groaned out, "Nope…. too tired. Just… stay here."
"Okay," sighed Harry.
"Okay," agreed Ginny.
And they fell asleep.
0000
0000
0000
0000
"Unh."
Ginny's eyes flew open. She had been having a terrible dream. She had been wearing a white dress, with a little black lace around the middle. Shadowy men danced around her, lashing out, drawing blood. She had been shoved into a small room that was slowly shrinking down around her; loose nails from the walls burrowing into her skin as the space tightened.
"Ungh… oh."
It took her several moments to realize why there was someone else, besides herself, in her bed. Harry was sleeping against her side, almost on top of her, legs clamped tightly and writhing around one of her own. She felt hands gripping at her waist. Harry's skin was burning up and her head was wedged into Ginny's neck. She could feel her friend panting softly into the collar of her nightgown.
Ginny sat up. Harry not having anything to hold onto, gripped the sheet's tightly where Ginny's arm had been. Harry's face was flushed red and her long beautiful hair was splayed out wildly over the pillow. Ginny watched horrified as Harry moaned loudly into the pillow. Harry's groin pressed into Ginny's hip, and she could feel the black haired girl's body tremor. Oh no! She's having the nightmare again! Ginny shook her. "Harry! Harry wake up! Please wake up!" It's no use! She told me the dreams would last until… She was about to shout for Ron… but Harry's eyes opened.
However, it wasn't Harry's eyes that she saw. There was no iris left, no white left. It was just green. It had flooded in, filling every bit of surface under her eyelids.
Ginny screamed and flattened herself against the wall. "HARRY! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR EYES?"
Harry merely said, "Oh. Merlin…" She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and when she removed her hands, her normal bright green orbs had returned. "It's alright Gin," Harry said reassuringly. She got up from the bed and went to sit on her cot.
Ginny unflattened herself, crawled to the edge of her bed, and asked cautiously, "Harry… what on earth was-"
BANG
The door to her room slammed open and in filed every Weasley in the house. Her mother and father had their wands out and were pointing them wildly about the room. Her father, eyes wide, panted out, "girls! What's happened? We heard a scream!"
Harry, hair falling into her face, offered no explanation. Ginny tried to explain as best she could. "I woke up and Harry was groaning and… and panting! I thought she was having the dreams so I shook her and… and her eyes were… all wrong… they were gone! They… I can't explain it! Harry… what was it?"
Ron laughed and yawned. He seemed to know what happened already. "I woke up for this? You explain Harry. I'm going back to bed. Sleepy time." He trudged heavily back up the stairs and Ginny heard his bed thump as he collapsed into it.
Harry sighed deeply on her cot. "I'm sorry I woke you Ginny. I thought my reactions had stopped but… something made it really intense again. As to the eyes… it was magic Professor Dumbledore taught me… to help protect my mind from the petrifying dream. I move my magic from my core to my brain, and my eyes go all… wonky."
"You did magic without a wand?" Charlie asked, sounding very impressed.
Harry shook her head. "No no… it's mind magic. I don't need my wand anymore to find my core."
I'm so confused. She was in pain. "But Harry… why were you groaning and… I thought you were really hurt."
She watched Harry's flushed face go even redder still. "It's not that, it's… well."
Her mum let out a little "oh" of understanding. She bustled everyone out of the room. "Back to bed, the lot of you! Out! Harry dear, why don't you come with me? I have just the thing."
They all left, including Harry. Her mind was fixated on the thought of her friend as she had moaned. Her lips had been parted in a little oval shape. Her hairline had been glistening with sweat. What happened?
Harry came back into the room carrying a little bar of chocolate. Their eyes met and she almost lost herself in Harry's bright emeralds. Harry's wavy wild hair was pushed back behind her ears and Ginny could see the sweat glistening along her neckline.
Harry sat down next to her on top of her quilt. She broke the chocolate in half and handed one piece to her.
Ginny didn't really know what to think about the night's events. Munching on her chocolate, she put her head down on Harry's shoulder and closed her eyes. "You scared the pants off me you know."
Harry giggled. "You're not wearing pants."
"Exactly my point." Ginny finished the chocolate and flopped back down on the bed, holding the quilt open for Harry.
"Oh um… I'd better not Gin… don't want to wake you up again." Harry didn't meet her eyes as she said it.
Ginny caught Harry's arm before she got back into the cot and pulled her down for a tight hug. Harry laughed and hugged her back just as tightly. They rolled wildly on the bed, giggling… and of course, inevitably, fell off. They both burst out laughing as they landed with a small 'thwump.' Ron pounded on his wall up above them and shouted, "Oi! Shut it, the both of yah! Bloody buggering hell!"
A faint shrill yell echoed up the stairs. "Ronald Bilius Weasley! Do not let me hear you talk like that again or so help me I'll Scourgify your tongue away!"
They heard Ron's grumbles through the ceiling.
She breathed deeply into Harry's neck. She smells like broom polish. "Harry?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm really glad you came over."
"Me too, Gin."
0000
0000
0000
0000
"Merlin's pants Harry. Just move a piece!" Ron was lying face down on the floor and groaning at her, one eye on the board in front of him, the other buried in the shag of the carpet.
Ginny was behind her, leaning up against her back, running a brush through Harry's hair. "You know Ron, the sooner you finish this game… the sooner we have to go to the village for shopping. I know how much you love to shop," Ginny drawled sarcastically. "And then we have to decorate… by hand!"
Ron groaned then said, "Take as long as you need, Harry."
Harry was concentrating fiercely on the game. Ron had her mated in the next six moves or so and she was desperately searching for a way out. Ginny's brushing, Ron's groaning, and the little pieces screaming at her, did not help the matter. Maybe if I pressure his Queen… no… he'll box me in even faster. Knight to the corner… no… Bishop to his rook… AHA!
She took her pawn and captured the one Ron had jumped two spaces behind hers. All the little pieces on the board let out a collective gasp of, "En passant." She had an open path to get another queen.
Ron sat up quickly and glared at the board with incredulity. He fiddled with the top of a Bishop, then his Knight, then his King. He sat there for what must have been a half hour, mumbling under his breath, fiddling with each piece. She knew he was playing out entire games in his head, most of them ending with her winning.
Harry had long since leaned back into Ginny's knees, enjoying the feel of the brush pulling lightly against her scalp.
"Your move then Harry; Knight to E4." Ron sat back. He was watching her intensely.
Knight to E4? But she could just…
Harry slid her Queen to his Knight. He moved his Bishop to check her King. She moved a pawn to protect it. He moved back. She moved her forward pawn a space closer to his back line. He repositioned his Rook. She moved it a space closer. One more! He repositioned his Knight. She slid the little pawn to the back line and it magically grew into a Queen. "Check" she called.
He used his Queen to defend.
She took it triumphantly with her Knight. She was about to trap him.
Ron grinned and slid his Rook across the board. "That's Mate, mate." All her pieces groaned miserably.
She did a double take and wailed. "NO! I was so close! How did you… how did I not see it?
"You took the bait. Ten moves ahead Harry… ten moves ahead. But Merlin, that was the best game I've ever had! You're better than Bill I expect."
She would have kept right on being miserable if Ginny hadn't leapt up and shouted "CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!" Mrs. Weasley jumped and ripped her knitting. "Oh… Sorry about that mum. Come on Harry get your… your… well you can use my spare coat and snow stockings." Ginny pulled her arm and she was hauled up the stairs.
Ginny's old clothes were a bit small, but very warm. Warm enough to keep her toasty in the heavy falling snow. Devon in the snow, while not pleasant to trudge through, was absolutely beautiful. The moors were coated in white and Ottery St. Catchpole looked like a gingerbread village in the distance.
The Weasleys walked in a group, laughing and teasing, stepping in each other's footsteps in the snow. Charlie was bemoaning the fact that they would be having a white Christmas, as they wouldn't be able to fly until the snow died down. Ginny was piggybacking him, asking all about his dragons and if she could come to Romania to see them. Harry watched them all sadly. This is what a family should be like. This is what-"
A snowball hit her in the side. "Don't get into that again, eh Harry?" Ron grinned at her. She grinned right back, scooped up a good chunk of snow, and pelted it at him. Ron ducked underneath the frozen missile and dove for her. He got the edge of her coat and they fell into the snow laughing. The rest of the Weasleys pulled ahead of them.
"I know what you're thinking about, you know. I know we haven't actually known each other more than a few months but… feels a bit like years doesn't it? Ron sat up and brushed the snow out of his hair as Harry nodded, smiling in agreement. "What I'm saying is that to me… you're… well you're as good a part of my family as any of these nutters. So just… just forget about the… the muggles." He gestured at the departing group of redheads.
Harry felt her heart soar. "Oh… Ron that's-"
He stood up and cut her off. "True; a hundred percent true… and I bet the five galleons and however many of these wonky pound things I've got to my name, that Ginny feels the same. Merlin, I bet mum does too. She thinks you're the greatest thing since… since mashed potatoes. Didn't you see her puttering about a few nights ago, loading food onto your plate?" He pulled her up. "Blimey I expect she favors you more than Fred and George... Well… bad example… but you get what I mean. Now, up you get…" He hauled her up onto his back and she piggybacked him just like Ginny did Charlie. "I might not be as big as any of my brothers but you're a bit of a runt you are."
Harry slapped him on the chest and muttered, "Git," into his ear. She placed her chin on his shoulder as he trudged quickly through the snow to catch up with the rest of the group.
The village was small and muggle, but pretty lively considering its size. The little corner stable pub was ringing with laughter and some very drunken singing. People were flitting in and out of the little shops in the center of town. Mr. Weasley waved to three people coming out of the pub, the youngest of which she recognized as a popular fourth year Hufflepuff boy, whose name she could never remember. It was an odd name; something like Hadric.
Ginny hopped down from Charlie's back and asked her father, "Dad, do you know where I can buy some copper wire?"
Mr. Weasley suggested the general store just across the square and Ginny ran off, Mrs. Weasley yelling after her to be careful.
Ron patted her leg and pointed excitedly to a shop that had a sign depicting a steaming mug and a slab of chocolate. "Oi Harry. A Chocolatier!" Before she could say a word, he was carrying her towards the sign and into the small shop.
It smelled heavenly. The glass case in front of her was filled with chocolate swans, peanut butter truffles, chocolate peanut brittle, and just about every chocolate confection you could ever want. There were little stools where you could sit at the counter and order coffee, tea, and…hot chocolate. Harry immediately went to the smiling old woman behind the counter and bought two hot chocolates.
Ron started to protest but Harry cut him off. "Oh shut it. I want to. I need someone to share my first ever hot chocolate with."
Ron smiled begrudgingly at her and tweaked her nose. "Thanks Harry." He then proceeded to press his own nose up to the glass trying to decide what he should get.
"Here you are dears. Bit hot they are." The clerk was holding out two mugs of sweet smelling bliss. Harry and Ron took a mug and sipped carefully. It tasted even better than it smelled. She shivered in delight.
Ron looked at his cup appraisingly. "Oh that's good. Better than Auntie Muriel's. I think I might splurge this year and get everyone a bit of chocolate. Excuse me Miss… how much for those swans?"
"A pound each, dear."
Ron counted out his notes. "Oh good I've got twelve. Can I get eight of the little swans then? Wait… nine. Gotta get one for Bill too. Who knows if he'll show up. Harry do you think three pounds is enough left over for a battery?"
She shrugged. "Why do you need a battery?"
Ron waved it off. "For Dad. It's tradition… drives mum mad too."
Harry also bought nine chocolate and caramel turtles, one for each Weasley. She already had presents for Ron and Ginny but she wanted to give each of the Weasleys something. They had all been so welcoming.
After a half hour or so of shopping, Ron and Harry met the rest of the Weasleys in front of the little pub and they all made their way slowly back to the house. Charlie and, surprisingly, Percy had both gotten a bit sloshed at the pub. They were supporting each other as they sang a loud, rousing, very off-pitch rendition of 'A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love.'
"They're going to regret that tomorrow morning." Ginny had come up next her and linked her arm through Harry's own. "Mum won't give them a hangover potion I'm sure of it. She likes tough love." Her cheeks were pink and she was stumbling a bit.
Harry laughed and pulled Ginny's arm up around her shoulder. "Looks like Charlie gave you a few sips then?"
"Shhhh." Ginny pushed a finger to Harry's lips and giggled. "Only a few."
Harry and the Weasleys piled into the sitting room where Mr. Weasley had lit a roaring fire. Mrs. Weasley plopped down into an armchair and resumed her knitting, humming the tune her sons had poorly tried to recreate. Ron and Ginny took a seat on the couch while Harry sat down at its foot, resting her head on Ginny's thigh. The family sat comfortably, lounging in various places, listening to the crackling sound of the fire and the soft music coming from the wireless.
She felt hands in her hair. Ginny seemed to love playing with it. All morning she had braided it, making little elegant knots and such. This time, Ginny took a few long bangs from both sides of her face and pulled them to the back of her head, where she proceeded to braid them together.
Mrs. Weasley smiled at her. "Oh my, Harry… that looks quite beautiful. It suits you well. Ginny, I think you may just have a gift… Ooo look at the time… I should get started with that roast shouldn't I?" She bustled off to the kitchen, stepping expertly over Fred and George who were wrestling on the rug.
Harry was falling asleep on Ginny's leg, only somewhat aware of hands fiddling with bits of her hair.
CRACK
She jolted into alertness. The front door opened. "I bid you a Happy Christmas Weasleys!" A tall slim redhead with a ponytail and a short goatee stood smiling in the doorway, arms open wide. Ginny and Ron leapt up and ran to the stranger, jumping into his embrace. He picked both of them up and whirled around like a top.
Mr. Weasley and Charlie stood and greeted the newcomer with tight one-armed hugs. "It's good to have you home son. We didn't expect you back."
"Aye. It's good to be home. This assignment in Egypt has been rough. The flies… they're bloody murder." The pony-tailed man grabbed both Fred and George and gave them severe knuckle rubs on their matching heads. The twins swatted him away. He clapped Percy on the back. "Prefect eh? Well done Perce. Fancy a job as a Cursebreaker?"
Mr. Weasley called out, "Molly… Bill's home!"
There was a gasp and a clatter of pans from the kitchen and Mrs. Weasley came hurrying around the corner to hug her son. "Ohh Bill. It's wonderful to see you dear. We didn't expect you back at all. Oh my, look at the state of your hair!"
"Oi mum." Bill swatted her hand away from his ponytail. "When I heard everyone was coming back I couldn't resist. First full Weasley Christmas in a good few years." He spotted Harry standing off to the side. "And who's this then?"
"Harry Potter," Ginny replied, a bit too exuberantly. Ron gave his sister a scathing look, as Bill's wide eyes flicked upward to her scar.
"Good lord…" Bill recovered from his shock rather quickly though and held out his hand to shake hers. "Well… very nice to meet you Harry. Anyone brave enough to let a Weasley woman near their hair is aces in my book." He gestured toward her braid.
Ginny harrumphed loudly as Harry shook Bill's hand. Ron came up to them and said, "What's more… she almost beat me at Chess, Bill. Really… She had mate in a hundred different ways except one."
This seemed to cause the man more shock than finding out she was Harry Potter. "Did you really? That's more than anyone in this family can say. Not even Great Uncle Algie could beat Ron. I'm still convinced your last game drove him insane. I sure would have lost my marbles, if I had been seventy and was trounced by an eight year old."
She liked Bill. His personality was a bit like a cross between every Weasley sibling. He only gawked at me for a few seconds too; always a plus.
Charlie threw his arm around Bill and pulled him off to a corner where they began to whisper to each other, wide grins on their faces. She supposed they were talking about girlfriends and the like. Things older boys talked about.
Mr. Weasley clapped and rubbed his hands together. "Well… who wants to help with the tree this year? I saw a nice grove of little pines just down the road." There was a scrambling and every redhead in the room made themselves scarce.
Harry stepped forward. "I will Mr. Weasley."
"Alright then Harry, get your things on. We might have a rough job of it. Snow will be deeper. Are you sure?"
She nodded excitedly, pulling on Ginny's clothes. "The Dursleys had a fake tree. I want to do it properly."
The snow was much higher, at least halfway up her thigh. She made sure to follow in Mr. Weasley's footprints. They walked around the shed that held the car and Hagrid's motorbike… her godfather's motorbike.
She tugged lightly on the tall man's sleeve. "Mr. Weasley?"
"Yes Harry?" He took large loping steps through the snow and she was having trouble keeping up with him.
She fiddled with the white powder, drawing a squiggly line next to her as she walked. "You knew my godfather by name… did you know… did you know my parents as well?"
"Ahhh. I had a feeling that might come up at some point. Yes… yes I knew Lily and James very well. They were first years when I was in seventh. I was a Prefect for Gryffindor, you know? Never had a moment's peace, what with your father and his friends making mischief. They were good boys though." He paused and sighed deeply. "I met the two together when they joined… joined the fight in the war. James and Lily and I went on several missions together. All they ever talked about was each other. James even showed me the ring he bought to propose. I gave a toast at their wedding right after your godfather. They were wonderful people Harry."
"Oh. That's… that's…" she trailed off. This man knew her parents better than she did. Everyone in the wizarding world knows them better than I do.
Mr. Weasley placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Lily was a brilliant witch. From what Ron tells me, you have the second highest marks in your year. And James would have been ecstatic that you made the Quidditch team! You saved my son's life on Halloween. So I reckon that… wherever they are… they're quite proud of you Harry." He pointed off to the side of the road. "There's the grove. Which one looks like a good one?"
Harry ran over to the trees. They were thick and smelled strongly of sap. She paced around each one, trying to find a perfectly symmetrical tree of good height. "Mr. Weasley! How about this one?" The tree she had found was fat and you couldn't see the trunk through the branches.
Mr. Weasley came through a gap between two tall dogwoods. "Oh yes. That's the one. Stand back Harry." He waved his wand sharply in a horizontal line and the tree was sliced off at the stump. Mr. Weasley caught the top before it crashed. He thumped it down on the ground a few times to shake off the loose needles, then handed the top of the tree to Harry. "Weasley tradition to carry it in by hand. S'why none of the others jumped to volunteer. Just haul an end up on your shoulder… that's it. I'll get the heavy end."
The tree was twice her height, but they managed to get it back to The Burrow after quite a bit of readjusting and resting. The Weasleys cheered as the tree was squeezed through the front door and placed on a stand near the fire.
Harry sighed softly and pulled Mr. Weasleys sleeve once again. "Thank you for… for letting me help, Mr. Weasley.
Mr. Weasley smiled widely. "And thank you Harry. Goodness knows, you were a much better assistant than any of these wayward children of mine have ever been." He pulled out his wand and grinned. "Now… Weasleys… lets decorate!"
There was an explosion of activity and magic. Mistletoe sprang from the ceiling at the flick of Bill's wand. Charlie grew garlands up the railing of the stairs. Mr. Weasley waved his wand and twinkling snowflakes began to fall around the tree. Harry reached up to touch them and was shocked to find that they passed right through her hand.
"Ah. I'm quite good at illusions, if I do say so myself." Mr. Weasley waved his wand again, causing Harry to gasp in wonder. Twinkling fairies appeared to burst from all the decorations the men had just put up. They swooped around their heads, lighting up the room, landing on whatever they pleased: the sofa, the armchairs, the tree, the mantle, and even in Ginny's hair. Harry thought she looked a bit like one of the characters in Dudley's fairy tale books, hair glittering with light. Good at illusions… he wasn't kidding.
Some of the illusion fairies must have landed on her as well because Ginny marched over and flicked at Harry's hair. "I bet they'll get lost in there. We'll just have to give it a thorough brushing!" Ginny beckoned Ron over. "Come on Harry… come help Ron and I with the ornaments. The box is enormous and the ghoul will need to be distracted. He gets so mopey when you take things out of the attic."
In the attic, Ron distracted the ghoul with a bit of juggling. The slimy thing clapped and banged loudly on the pipes, as Ginny and Harry lowered the box down the step ladder.
Harry called up to him, "All clear Ron!" She heard the ghoul wail as Ron's feet appeared on the steps.
"No use. He'll be rattling the pipes for days now." Ron sighed heavily. "No sleep for me tonight then, eh?" Harry grinned. Yeah right… you'll snore right through it.
When the box of ornaments was opened in the sitting room, she was a bit surprised. Instead of shiny baubles and miniature candy-canes, it was filled with small, framed, moving pictures of Weasley family members doing various happy activities: Fred and George playing in mud; a small Ron and Ginny chasing little potato shaped men; a young Bill and Charlie wrestling; seven shots of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley holding babies; Percy sucking his thumb and holding a blanket; a toothy old red-haired man wearing a real duck for a hat. Hundreds of happy redheads were smiling and waving up at her.
Someone shouted out, "NOW!"
A body jumped onto her back and someone slid on their knees in front of her, arms flung wide. There was a flash of a bright lightbulb, and Harry went blind.
Harry heard Fred and George say simultaneously, "Oh that's a keeper!" Sight returned to her slowly. Ginny was hanging off her shoulders and Ron was down on the floor in front of her laughing. Bill and Charlie were clutching a very old-fashioned camera. Bill tapped it with his wand and a little photograph appeared in midair. Charlie grabbed it, took one look, and burst out laughing. He handed it to Bill, who had a similar reaction, who then handed it to Harry.
Photo Ron was sliding through the bottom of the frame, side to side, over and over again, making a very strange face, eyes crossed and arms flung wide. Photo Ginny was on her shoulders, laughing and resting her chin on Harry's head. Photo Harry was windmilling her arms, looking dazed. Harry watched as they fell and Photo Ginny rolled out of the picture. Photo Harry would stand up, brush herself off, look down at the box, and then out of nowhere Photo Ginny would run and jump on her again, starting the chain over and over. "Yeah," she said, wiping a little wetness out of her eye, "definitely a keeper."
Charlie took the picture from her and transfigured the white edges of the image into a delicate brass frame with a hook at the top. He handed it back to her saying warmly, "You brought in the tree Harry, so you get the honor of putting up the first ornament."
She walked over to the fat tree, watching Ron and Ginny jump into the little photograph. She hesitated. She liked to think that her outstretched arm was hovering over the foliage because she was looking for a suitable branch. I don't deserve this. I'm… I don't belong-"
An arm slipped around her arm; fingers linked with her own. Amber, gold flecked eyes glittered up at her. Ginny was giving her a blazing look, a look she thought she'd never forget, a look full of… something.
Her outstretched arm unfroze, and hung the little ornament on the nearest branch. The rest of the Weasleys cheered and dove into the box.
Decorating the tree took no time at all with nine sets of hands to do the job. As they were pulling the last few pictures out of the box, Mrs. Weasley came back into the sitting room.
"That looks absolutely lovely dears!" She hugged her husband. "Ohhh. You do know how I love your fairies Arthur." She leaned up and gave him a good sound snog. Even though several of the children groaned and covered their eyes, Harry found she couldn't look away. Their embrace had been short, open, public, yet there was more intimacy in that kiss than she had ever seen in her life. Not even the sappy romance movies Aunt Petunia loved so much contained anything as passionate as what she had just witnessed.
Mr. Weasley's face was bright red and Mrs. Weasley patted him on the cheek. "Dinner's ready everyone… and happy Christmas Eve!"
0000
0000
0000
0000
The serene space around her suddenly flared with unimaginable fire. She burned, rejoicing in the heat. She felt alive. She felt the searing white light lick her skin. Down… Down… Down… So far down. Bliss! Ambers and golds and cherry reds exploded before her eyes. She could smell Strawberry. She could taste it in her mouth. It was everywhere. Harry? Cradling her senses. Haa-rryy. She couldn't…
"Harry!"
Something was pressing down on her waist. Oh… lower. Please. She wiggled, trying to make the weight slide-
"Harry! WAKE UP! IT'S CHRISTMAS!" Fingers wiggled into the undersides of her knees and she shrieked with uncontrollable laughter, jerking awake. She was lying in her cot and Ginny, who looked a tad green, sat on her stomach. She was staring into her eyes with an apprehensive look.
"Oh right." Harry flipped the hourglass.
"You know I can't decide if that's amazing or terrifying." Ginny smiled down at her and shook her excitedly. "IT'S CHRISTMAS! Ohhhh did you get me anything?" Ginny bounced on Harry's stomach, blushing at her words, but did not look away from her.
"Course I did silly. Did…did you get me anything?" Harry asked slowly.
Ginny bounced excitedly again, smiling. "Course I did silly."
Harry sat up and Ginny fell backwards onto the coverlet. "I… I've never had Christmas gifts before! Well… I got a hangar once. It was a good one I suppose." She was bouncing excitedly now too.
Ginny sat up and pawned at Harry's pajama bottoms. Her hair had fallen into her face, just like Harry's did when she was… "Oh. Gin…what's… what's wrong? Did I say-"
Ginny was shaking her head fiercely. "No no no… I just… I wish you didn't have to live with… them. Can't you… I'm sure you could… well. You could live with us." Ginny looked up, eyes shining with hope.
She was shocked, but Harry didn't want to let the silence stretch. "Professor Dumbledore says I can't. He… He says my protections have to charge or… something. I wish I could."
"Protections?" Ginny asked curiously.
Harry shrugged and leapt to her feet, holding out her hand to pull Ginny up too. "Presents!"
Ginny laughed, grabbed her hand, and they raced down the stairs. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were already sitting on the sofa with cups of tea, watching Ron as he paced around the tree, nudging presents with his foot.
"Oh, Happy Christmas dears." Mrs. Weasley stood and smothered them both with a hug. "I'll just kip upstairs and wake the boys."
Harry and Ginny sat down at the edge of the tree, impeding Ron's pacing. He plopped down next to her and gave her a friendly nudge. "Happy Christmas Harry. I hope you like what I-"
"CHARLES PERCIVAL WEASLEY!" Mrs. Weasley's yell shook the house. There was a squawk and two loud thumps. Mrs. Weasley came rushing back down the stairs and she fled into the kitchen. She was banging around pots and pans and Harry could distinctly hear her angry muttering.
A few minutes later, Charlie came down the stairs, face very red and trailing behind him was… a girl… a very pretty girl… with… pink hair?
They were both blushing fiercely. The girl made for the door but Charlie reached out and grabbed her arm saying, "Nymph, wait I changed my mind. I… I don't want to-"
The girl whirled around and caught Charlie's lips in a rough, heated kiss. She was mashed up against his body and Harry could see tears trailing down from her tightly shut eyes. They kissed desperately, hungrily, and then quite suddenly… the pink-haired girl pulled away. She cupped his face and whispered into his ear. Charlie nodded, closed his eyes and placed his forehead on hers. They whispered quietly, sharing one last rough kiss, before the girl turned and fled out of the house.
Charlie stood there, staring after her. Harry could tell he was upset but he also seemed… resigned. After a few minutes of silence in the sitting room, Charlie turned and marched into the kitchen.
She heard a pot bang on the stove and Mrs. Weasley yell, "Charlie! I can't believe you! There are children in this house!"
"Mum please, we were… saying goodbye." Charlie's voice was calmer, quieter, but it still carried clearly to the sitting room.
"GOODBYE? Goodbye? That did not look like saying goodbye to me! What if they'd seen? They'd be scarred for life!" A cabinet door slammed.
"Scarred for life? Bill and I walked in on you and Dad plenty of times and we're just fine thank you… Look… mum it… it won't happen again. We ended things."
"That is not the... wait… ended things?" Mrs. Weasley's tone changed completely. Her anger was gone, replaced by concern. "Oh Charlie… why? I thought you… wanted to get married."
Harry heard Charlie's voice break. "We did but… but the long distance is… even with portkeys we can't… Neither of us wants to stop doing what we're doing. We realized if we chose our jobs over each other, then we… we shouldn't be getting married. We'd resent each other. So we… we said goodbye… properly."
"Oh Charlie I'm… I'm so sorry son. You'll… you'll find someone else one day that you love just as much. Why don't you go upstairs and wake your brothers, while I make you a nice cup of tea, hmm?"
Ginny, who had found her way behind Harry to play with her hair, leaned forward and rested her chin on Harry's shoulder. As Charlie went upstairs with a glum look on his face, Ginny said sadly, "That was Nymphadora Tonks, Charlie's girlfriend from school. I was sure they were going to get married. I… well I'm sad to see they broke up. I really liked her."
Fred and George tumbled down the stairs, hair in matching cowlicks. They collapsed on the couch next to their father and resumed sleeping. Percy came down shortly after, fully dressed and groomed, unlike the rest of the family, still in their nightwear. It was a good half hour before Bill and Charlie came back down the steps. They were laughing good-naturedly and Charlie's glum look had disappeared.
The kettle whistled from the kitchen and when Mrs. Weasley came back to the sitting room, she carried a tray full of teacups and chocolate biscuits. Ron moaned. "Mum… there's no time for tea! We have to open gifts!"
Mrs. Weasley clucked. "Be patient, Ronald. Here you are dear." She handed the largest teacup to Charlie and cupped his cheek. Again, Ron moaned impatiently and Mrs. Weasley sighed. "I suppose we could start opening while we drink. Arthur, would you hand them out please?"
Mr. Weasley waved his wand, making every gift under the tree rise into the air. They sailed over to him and he read each label, banishing the gifts to their recipients.
"Oh Harry these are great! I hope the swans are as good." Ron had not waited for all the gifts to be distributed and was already munching on his unwrapped turtle. Harry found Ron's poorly wrapped box amongst her pile and pulled the swan out of its container.
Oh wow. "It's got chocolate cream inside! It's delicious Ron, good choice." She broke off a piece and handed it to him, who in turn gave Harry a bit of the little turtle. Mrs. Weasley was badgering Mr. Weasley about the seven batteries he had unwrapped, one from each child.
Ginny had just opened up a present and she gripped Harry's arm tightly. She had gotten Ginny a magnificent set of ten peacock feather quills, enchanted to suck the ink back off the page when you scratched something out.
Ginny whispered under her breath, "Harry… how much did these cost?"
Harry shrugged. "Dunno, got them by owl order and they took the money right out of my vault. I know you scratch out a lot so I thought they'd be good. Do… do you not like them?" Harry quickly added, "Because we can send them back and I can get-"
Ginny cut her off with a lunging hug so strong they rolled backwards into the tree. "They're perfect Harry. Open… open my gift now. You'll see."
Ginny's gift was circular and light. She eagerly ripped off the paper. Inside were two very delicate looking bracelets. They were made from elegant coils of brass and thick copper wire, braided together and twirled in a mesmerizing pattern.
Ginny hugged Harry's arm. "They're… they're friendship bracelets. Dad helped me magic them together. And these," she said, pulling out two small silver objects on hooks, "are the charms." One was a small quill, and the other was a tiny snitch. "They were both pairs of earrings once I think. I found them in Great Grandma Weasley's jewelry box. And look, Bill carved a few runes on them for me, so when they hang… like this, they swing toward each other. So eventually, if you walk far enough in the direction it points, you'll find me." Ginny gave her a glowing smile.
Harry watched as the little things tried to touch in mid air like magnets. "They're beautiful Gin… I…" Harry held out her wrist and Ginny's smile grew even wider. She attached the quill charm to one of the bracelets and slid it on to Harry's arm.
"Dad can tighten it for you." Ginny fiddled with the snitch charm but Harry reached out and stopped her.
"Gin let… I want to do it." Ginny held out her hand and Harry attached the snitch, sliding the bracelet onto her wrist. The little charms forcibly spun the bracelets, clinking together, creating a line between their wrists.
"So," Ginny said smiling. "Friends?"
Harry grinned at her. "The best."
"Everyone… I don't want to be a Christmas buzzkill, but there is a snake on the floor." Charlie was pointing to the ground besides Harry. Alice had at some point gotten off her arm and was currently rolling languidly through a great tangle of ribbon. The rest of the room went silent, but Ginny and Ron laughed.
Ron waved the rest of his family off. "Don't worry. She's Harry's; totally and completely harmless. Give her a banana and she's sweeter than a kitten."
Harry picked up the ribbon and Alice whined to her ear and her ear alone. "Chica. I wass not finisshed. Give me the sshiny ssnake. Harry stroked her head and placed the ribbon back down. Alice curled around her fingers, sticking out her tongue on Harry's wrist.
While most of the Weasley's had gone back to their presents, Bill was staring at the snake intently. He was watching its every move. This made her a bit unsettled, so Harry picked up the snake and excused herself to the bathroom.
Once safely inside, she whispered, "Alice, I think Bill has a phobia. You should stay hidden if you can. I don't want you to get hurt by accident."
"But the sshiny ssnake-"
"If I get it and put it in my trunk will you stay there?"
"Yess Harry sspeaker." The snake slid back up her sleeve and she walked out. Upon returning to the sitting room, she saw Ron poking at the marble muggle chess set she had gotten him. "Blimey! This is so weird! They don't even yell at you! Amazing, Harry!"
She sat back down at her pile and pulled Ron's gift open. Inside was… "Ron! You can't give this to me! You love this shirt!" Her fingers ran over the faded orange lettering on the jersey that read, "Chudley Canons."
He shrugged and said, "I've got plenty and that's my smallest. Getting a bit tight it is. Besides, I thought you might like it."
She nodded and pulled it on over her T-shirt. It was worn in and the seams were soft. "I love it."
Hagrid sent her a little carved wooden flute. It was very nice and when she blew it, she heard Circe hoot loudly from upstairs. Hemione sent her two pairs of blue jeans with a note attached.
Dear Harry,
Thanks for the spell books. I've already read both cover to cover. My mum says that these jeans are very stylish. I wouldn't know. I just thought of you in that dress all winter and had to send you something warmer. I miss you and Ron terribly and it's only been a few days. Maybe we could meet at Diagon Alley for a day. I'm desperate to go to Flourish and Blott's to find an alchemy book with Flamel in it. I have no idea why the name is so familiar yet I can't remember where I read about it. I'm sure you and Ron wouldn't say no to a trip to Quality Quidditch Supplies either. So write me an owl.
"Ron… Hermione misses you terribly." Ron was eating his way through a very large box of chocolates from Hermione and his ears went pink. She giggled.
The last parcel was soft and thin. Harry was about to open it when Mrs. Weasley shoved another gift in her hand.
The rest of the redheads were all receiving similar gifts. Fred and George tore theirs open and held up matching blue jumpers with the letters F and G stitched on the front. They laughed and exchanged sweaters.
"Aw mum… maroon again?" said Ron under his breath.
Ginny's was red, Percy's was white, Bill's was black, Charlie's was orange, and Harry's… Mine… was bright green. It was soft and had a large H on the front stitched in white. Mrs. Weasley beamed at her. "To match your eyes dear."
Harry let out the breath she didn't know she had been holding. "Thank you Mrs. Weasley." She placed the sweater lovingly on the carpet beside her, and opened the last present. A long, shimmering, silver something spilled out across her hands. It felt like liquid. A little note was attached that read:
Your father left this in my possession before he died.
It is time it was returned to you.
Use it well.
A Very Merry Christmas to you.
"What's that then Harry?" Ron asked.
"I dunno. Cloak I think." She found a hood and pulled it around her.
The sitting room erupted with screams of "HARRY!" and "BLIMEY!" and "MERLIN'S SAGGY LEFT NUT!"
They were all staring at her. She looked down at herself to see if there was something on her, only to find… that she wasn't there.
"That's an invisibility cloak!" said George. Fred was drooling a little.
Mr. Weasley smiled at her. "That was your father's cloak Harry. He took it everywhere, stuffed in his pocket."
It was… This is Dad's? She pulled it off and ran it through her fingers. She didn't know what her father looked like, but she imagined a tall grinning man, with hair just like her own, handing her the cloak and cupping her cheek. In her mind, he spoke kindly, in a light baritone. "It's yours now love. Use it well."
"Who is it from Harry?" asked Ginny.
"Doesn't say. Someone who… someone who knew my dad."
Ron was putting his hand underneath the fabric, watching it disappear and reappear. "Blimey. Harry we can get into the…um… ah." He trailed off as Mrs. Weasley stared him down.
She knew what he meant. The restricted section. They hadn't been able to find anything useful on Flamel in any of the available library books involving alchemy. She wondered if Snape was trying to get past Fluffy right at this very moment.
She sighed and lay back onto the carpet as the Weasleys chatted and opened the rest of their gifts. She clutched the invisibility cloak to her chest. I wish I could stay here.
Ginny's freckled face appeared above her own, red hair blocking out the light of the room like a curtain. "What's with the mopey face?" Ginny's hair tickled her nose. The red-head poked her in the belly. "Put on your jumper Harry. Together we make Christmas colors!"
The rest of the day passed like any other day, with the exceptions of having the best food she had ever tasted. After a long day of exhausting celebration, she climbed back into bed wearing her pajama bottoms and her new Weasley jumper. Maybe Dumbledore will let me leave before my Birthday next summer.
"Your mopey face is back." Ginny was looking down at her from the edge of her bed, her arm dangling down off the side. The little snitch on Ginny's wrist was straining to get to her quill. Harry reached up and took Ginny's hand. The charms clinked together.
"I don't want… I don't want to go back to the Dursleys…. ever. Not when… not when there are people like you and Ron that… that want me around." Harry let go of her wrist and turned over.
She heard the cover's rustle above her and felt Ginny slide into the cot up, nestling up against her back. Ginny hugged Harry tightly and whispered, "friends?"
Harry choked a little on her half sob half laugh. Harry turned in Ginny's arms and nodded into her shoulder. "The best."
0000
0000
0000
0000
Ginny was amazed. Harry was corkscrewing around Charlie's broom with quaffle in hand. If she's this good at chasing I wonder what she's like as a seeker?
Harry soared towards Ron's hoops. Ginny was right behind her, watching as Harry's hair blew wildly about in a messy halo. Fred, Charlie, and Percy were barreling toward her from all sides. Harry pulled up wildly as they got close and did a loop, dropping the quaffle as she soared above Ginny. Ginny caught it deftly. The boy's followed Harry as Ginny sailed underneath them with the quaffle. By the time they realized Harry no longer had the ball, she had shot it cleanly through the far right hoop.
"THAT'S GAME!" cried George. She, Bill, George, and Harry had slaughtered Charlie's team 200 to 40 in four-a-side Quidditch. Even though Harry's broom was far superior to anything else they were riding, Ginny was positive that Harry still would have outflown everyone.
"Merlin's pants," moaned Charlie. "Next game… we split the two of you up. It's like you read each other's minds."
Harry laughed and soared over to Ginny, throwing an arm around her. "Never!" she shouted back to Charlie.
They played another game with Bill and Percy, the weakest fliers, on Harry and Ginny's team. The score still wasn't even close. Neither Harry nor Ginny were going to admit to the boys that they were using their charms to know exactly where the other was on the field. They giggled all the way back to the house.
Her mother was out in the garden washing away snow with a bit of warm water from her wand. When they approached she called out "Boy's if you could start de-gnomeing the garden that would be lovely. Ginny, Harry, there's a bellows out in the shed. Get it and we can blow the little pests right out of their tunnels."
Harry laughed as they took turns sticking the fanlike contraption into the ground, pumping it, making hundreds of little potato shaped men run out of holes and bushes. Ron yelped as the one he had just caught bit his finger. He chucked it over the fence and it fell with a plop into a faraway haystack.
Harry leaned over and asked her, "isn't the chucking a bit cruel?"
She shook her head poking one the little creatures as it tried to kick her hand. "Nah. I think they enjoy it. They keep coming back for more. Dad favor's them. He puts out little bits of bread here and there."
Once all the gnomes were out, they sat back and watched the boys hold a contest to see who could hit the haystack the most.
The snow was melting quickly and it was a rather warm day for December. They were both dressed warmly in jeans and their jumpers. Harry was sighing contentedly as they leaned against the edge of the house. Her eyes were half closed but Ginny could see through Harry's thick lashes, that she had changed them.
"Why do you do that then? I thought it was just for sleeping." Ginny had grown accustomed to it over the last week. It's rather pretty actually. Scary… but pretty.
Harry switched her eyes back quickly. "Oh I… I just sense things better when I do. I like it."
"Really? Like what?" she asked.
"Smells, hearing, touch… that sort of thing." Harry waved it off.
"You want to smell garden gnomes?" Ginny asked flabbergasted.
Harry let out a small laugh. "No I can't smell anything when-" But Harry stopped herself short. "Their scent is overpowered…"
"By what?"
"By… strawberries. Do you have some nearby then?" Harry asked, looking away from her.
"Oh, yeah! I forgot! Come with me!" She grabbed Harry's hand and pulled her out towards the far side of the garden. They reached the hedge and went around it to her strawberry patch. "This is where I come to hide when mum wants me to do chores. I grew them all by-."
Harry's hand suddenly tightened around hers in a vice-grip. "Ouch! Harry, what-"
She was panting heavily; face red, eyes fully green. Her mouth was moving in little 'o's and she was clutching her other arm to her chest. "Sorry Gin… I… I'll be back in a bit; don't feel so good."
She watched as Harry sprinted off towards the house. At a much slower pace, she followed. Her mum was in the kitchen now, making corned beef sandwiches for lunch. Ron will be unhappy. She heard the shower turn on upstairs.
"Ginny dear, would you slice up those potatoes for dinner tonight? I'd like to get it started. Your father is coming back from work early today and I'm sure he'll be starved. That ministry food is no good and I don't want him picking apart my kitchen looking for snacks."
She wanted to see if Harry was okay but she dutifully picked up a knife and set to chopping.
Harry came back down with her hair wet and sticking to her face. She sidled up to her at the counter. "Sorry. Felt a bit nauseous. Can I help?"
Ginny passed her a knife. "Do you feel better now at least?"
Harry smiled. "Loads."
They chopped in comfortable silence. Harry would occasionally nudge her with her hip. She would nudge back. By the time they were finished chopping the potatoes, they were pushing hard against each other, laughing wildly, trying not to be the first to give in.
Mrs. Weasley clucked, not in anger, but in amusement. "Girls stop that silliness. For goodness' sake, you've got knives in your hand. Out. Shoo. Go bring the boys in for lunch."
The corned beef was delicious and enjoyed by all except Ron, who sat poking his sandwich unhappily. She watched as Harry reached around and tapped him on the opposite shoulder. When he turned away she stole the sandwich off his plate.
"Oi! Harry!" Ron didn't seem too angry though and Harry put her head down on his shoulder, munching on her sneakily acquired second helping. "Oh alright. I was just going to poke it anyway."
"There's some ham leftover from Christmas Ron. The fixings are still out for the sandwiches." Mrs. Weasley patted him on the head.
She watched as Harry nearly inhaled the second sandwich. I don't know if I want to be on the Quidditch team anymore if it makes me that hungry. Harry took a finger and trailed it through the mustard on her plate, licking it up.
Out of the corner of her eye she saw Bill freeze, sandwich halfway to his mouth. He was staring in shock at Harry's plate. Ginny too observed it interestedly. Nothing but smeared mustard.
Bill coughed and spoke up. "So Harry, what subjects interest you at school? Ancient Runes was always my favorite. Fascinating class."
"Oh I dunno. Not potions," Harry said shrugging, swinging her dangling feet happily from the chair. Ron snorted from the kitchen. "I like Defense and Charms alot. Quirrel doesn't teach us much but the defense book is my favorite. And Professor Flitwick told me my conjuring is the best he's ever seen."
Bill nodded. "You should try Runes when you get to start choosing your classes. It's very much like charms, but you don't use your wand. The first year or two is study, then you get to apply them, and at the NEWT level you get to create them. I think you'd like it." He gestured towards her plate. "I see you already know one rune quite well. I don't recognize it. Where did you see it? One of your other textbooks?"
Harry looked down at her plate. Ginny leaned over and saw that the trails of mustard had formed several shapes that looked like wonky crisscrossing spirals. Harry seemed tongue-tied. "N-no. I've never seen it anywhere…Are you… are you sure they're runes? I didn't even realize…"
Bill seemed concerned. "Yes… yes I'm quite sure. Those mustard trails of yours are giving off a faint magical aura. Can't you feel it?"
Ginny couldn't feel anything but she saw Harry's eyes change. After a moment they changed back and she nodded at Bill. "Yeah." She seemed confused though. "How can I make a rune I don't know?'
"Well you can create them with enough power behind it but you need a shape and an action in mind. The strange thing about this… is that I saw your snake coiled in that exact same pattern on Christmas… giving off the same aura. I've never heard of a rune acting like that. But… it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just… radiating magic I suppose. You might ask Professor Babbling at Hogwarts, if you ever decide to take the class." Harry nodded but she cautiously wiped up the mustard with her napkin.
Harry eyed the last bit of Ginny's sandwich. Ginny quickly put her hands in a protective circle around her plate and smiled innocently at her best friend. Harry poked her in the ribs and she squealed, hugging her arms back down to her sides. When she looked up, her last two bites of sandwich were gone and Harry was running up the stairs giggling madly.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Hermione sat with her parents under a large, pink, singing, floating, slowly revolving umbrella. The Fortescue's Hot Fudge Sundae she was sharing with them was quite excellent. She loved ice cream, even on cold afternoons like this one.
"Hermione!" yelled a loud voice from behind her.
She jumped in surprise, and the little scoop of ice cream on her spoon sailed off to land on the head of a stuffed vulture that occupied the rim of an old woman's hat. Thankfully, she didn't notice.
Ron, Harry, and a red-haired girl covered in freckles, with her arm linked through Harry's, were walking toward her. I bet that's Ginny. Several other Weasleys were down the street. She waved and turned to kneel in her seat. She gave Harry and Ron a hug, then turned to the red-haired girl.
"Hullo, I'm-"
"Hermione Granger!" The girls red hair bounced with her excitement. "Ron and Harry talk about you a lot. I'm Ginny."
Harry smiled and Hermione noticed Ron's ears were unusually pink. From the cold obviously.
She beamed at them all. "Well… Happy New Years Eve everyone! These are my parents." Her mum and dad gave the three newcomers polite 'Hello's.' She knew they were still a bit new to the idea of magic and the giant singing umbrella was not likely putting them at ease. "Where should we go first?"
Harry, Ron, and Ginny smiled, pointing at Quality Quidditch Supplies. Oh honestly.
After an hour of following the three around the store, watching them press their noses against the displays, she convinced them to head to Flourish and Blott's. As they opened the door, the distinct scent of aged parchment. Oh I love that smell. Hermione headed straight to the magic theory section and started to poor through the select few tomes on alchemy for Nicholas Flamel.
Ron wandered into the aisle. His fingers trailed along the tomes, both old and new, uninterested in the knowledge they withheld. He sat down next to her, reading over her shoulder. "Find anything?"
She sighed exasperatedly. "Yes Ronald. I found several in depth references on Flamel and I'm pouring through this rather dull index for fun… Of course I haven't found anything. All anyone knows about him is that he's a young alchemist that worked with Dumbledore dragon's blood."
"Oi, no need to get shirty." Ron pulled down a book and flipped through it lazily, humming a tune she didn't recognize.
She felt a bit disheartened. She had expected Ron's ears to go pink and for him to start arguing fiercely, but it didn't come this time. She had to admit she liked to bicker with him. He was so stubborn sometimes. He was… a challenge. "You seem to be in a good mood today then."
"Well… it's New Year's isn't it? Can't get angry on New Year's… s'bad luck. Come on Mione, let's get out of this dusty old shop. There's nothing useful here. I mean look at this, five hundred pages of blabbering about equivalent exchange and unsuccessful attempts to turn metals into gold. Says here some bloke named Barnabus lost his teeth when he turned nickel into copper. Useless tripe. We can get into the restricted section at school with Harry's cloak. Bound to be something in there."
She sighed and nodded. He was right. Ron stood, picking up all the books she had taken off the shelves, and shoved them haphazardly into a bookcase. She was about to protest but he took her hand and pulled her out of the shop.
Ron's father was entertaining her parents with mad questions about 'eckletricity.' She followed Ron over to where Harry and Ginny sat ready to watch the fireworks.
"No luck then?" asked Harry.
"Not a thing. Equivalent exchange this, equivalent exchange that. Only one very recent book even mentioned him and it says about as much as we knew already. How could he be such a well established wizard without any record at all? A headmaster, a Grandmaster Sorcerer, Supreme Warlock, Grand Mugwump…and the only record of him is that he's a young alchemist that worked with Dumbledore…" Hermione froze, eyes widened with realization. "There have to be records of… I'll be right back!"
She tore back down the street and into the bookshop she ran to the history section and scanned the shelf. Immediately, she found what she was looking for: Greatest Wizarding Schools of the Second Millennium. The print on the spine was bold. She pulled down this year's copy and flipped through the book until she found the Institute for Experimental Alchemy. She searched frantically through the description. Current Headmaster: Jackson Smith. His portrait showed a very old man with a toothy grin and lopsided spectacles.
Jackson Smith, age 137, is the longest lived headmaster the school has ever seen. He is most renowned for his discovery of one of the transmutative properties of dragon's blood, with his partner Albus Dubledore, in 1956. He holds The Grand Mugwump's seat in the International Confederation of Wizards, as well as the Supreme Warlock's seat on the Wizengamot.
This isn't Flamel! Well that's something at least. She rushed back out the door, receiving a very annoyed look from the shop's clerk. She raced back down the street to Harry, Ron, and Ginny.
"Harry" She gasped for breath. "He's not the Headmaster! Jackson Smith is; age one hundred thirty seven, partners with Dumbledore, discovered an alchemical property of dragon's blood! He holds the same positions that Dumbledore said Flamel did. Do you… do you think Flamel is really Smith? He could be using glamours or a potion to look younger. He could hide in plain sight."
"I dunno… maybe. Why would Dumbledore not tell me the truth about Smith then?"
Hermione shrugged, "Maybe it's to protect whatever he wanted safe. Flamel could just be a cover name to protect Smith's possessions."
Harry shook her head slowly. "I don't… I don't think so. Dumbledore was calling 'Nicholas,' even when they thought they were alone."
Ron spoke up. "Sorry to break this theory roll you guys are on but if Flamel is Smith… why would they put a giant dog over a trapdoor to guard some dragon's blood? That bloke over there is selling it for twenty galleons a pint."
"Well… I don't know," admitted Hermione. "But at least we know that something isn't right about Nicholas Flamel. That's more than we knew before.
Harry seemed very puzzled. Not much can puzzle Harry Potter. "Hermione… how old did you say this Smith fellow was?"
"Oh ummm age one hundred thirty seven," she said slowly. "Why?"
"Well… Flamel didn't look a day over 40. So if they are the same person, it definitely would have to be a disguise." Harry sighed and pulled her hands through her bangs. "I just don't know anymore. We really need to get into the restricted section. If we can't find anything, I say we drop this whole business and let Snape kill himself trying to get past that dog."
"Hear, hear," said Ron joyously.
The fireworks that night were spectacular. Ron's face lit up with delight when one of them exploded hundreds of fairies that zoomed around the square and he threw an arm around her, pointing them out excitedly. She didn't think he realized he'd done it.
Having friends is… nice.
She leaned into him as inconspicuously as possible.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Ginny was staring down at her shoes. "I don't want you to leave. Quit school and go next year with me."
Harry knew Ginny wasn't being serious, but for a second, as her eyes met amber, she seriously considered it. "Will you be at the station at the end of term?"
"Of course I will silly." Ginny grinned at her. "Will you write me?"
"Of course I will silly. I'm missing you already." She leaned out the window of the compartment and gave Ginny a bone-breaking hug. The train started to move and their charms clinked together as they drew back.
"Bye Harry." Ginny eyes blazed the same look she'd seen on Christmas.
"Bye Gin."
The train ride back was slow, excruciatingly so. Harry stared into space numbly as she listened to Neville prattle on about Herbology. She had no idea how he found it so interesting. All they did in that class was sit in a circle in the dirt as Professor Sprout showed them drawings. They hadn't even touched a magical plant yet.
Dinner that night was good but… she missed Mrs. Weasley's food. She missed corn beef sandwiches. She missed garlic potatoes, she missed rhubarb pie. But most of all…
I miss Ginny. It felt so strange not having her next to her as she ate, or as she walked back to the dormitory, or as she sat by the fire in the Gryffindor common room. They had spent every second together over the holiday and it felt a bit like she had lost an arm.
They were going to try and get into the restricted section tonight but they couldn't leave until the common room was empty. It was a long wait. Before he would leave, they had to convince Percy they would soon be going to bed, so they got into their pajamas.
Hermione was in an armchair by the fire, reading one of the books Harry had gotten her for Christmas. However, it seemed as if she was dozing off.
Harry and Ron, dressed in pajama bottoms and their Weasley jumpers, were lying on the rug in front of her, lazily playing a game of chess. Harry wasn't paying much attention to the game though and Ron was slaughtering her. Her thoughts were far away; back at The Burrow.
"Cheer up Harry." Ron must have been reading her mind... either that or I look miserable. "You can write to her all you want the next few days. No classes until Monday." He paused as Hermione began to snore. "Besides… you still have me around."
Harry laughed, but only half heartedly. Ron's face flickered in unhappiness for a split second. Even though the look had been quick, Harry didn't miss it. She sighed, sat up and punched his arm. "Don't be like that."
"Be like what?" His voice was a bit stiff.
"Like that you stupid plonker. Ginny and I… I dunno. It's just a different kind of best friend. If I had to… to stop seeing you every day I'd feel just the same and you know it. It's hard to even think about it."
Ron looked a bit like he was winded. "I'm… I'm not jealous of Gi-"
"Yes you are." She punched his arm harder. "And I'm telling you not to be!"
Ron ears went very pink. "I'm not… well…" He trailed off.
Harry scooted forward, knocking pieces off the board as she clambered over it. Ron sat back and looked away from her, face flushing red. This needs to be nipped in the bud. She slid up onto his lap and wrapped him in a giant hug.
"I'm telling you not to be, Ron."
Harry felt him heave with a sigh, before he returned her embrace. "I… I just didn't want…"
"I know." She sat back and smiled.
Ron scratched his head. "I know you know. Why are you so perceptive all the time? It's bollocks that's what it is."
"Why do you smell like grass all the time? Even when there's no grass! These things can't be answered," she answered sagely.
"Do I?" He held his jumper collar up to his nose. "Oh that is weird. Maybe mum does it."
Hermione woke up quite suddenly and shouted, "NOT A DREADFUL!"
The few stragglers left in the common room looked at her strangely.
When a sixth year finally finished his Arithmancy essay and went to bed, they were the only ones left in the common room. Hermione stood up saying, "I have a good feeling about tonight. Hurry up and get the cloak."
The large sweeping cloak hid all three of them, but only if they walked back to back. Hermione yelped as Ron stepped on her foot.
"Shhh be quiet!" Harry whispered sharply. "If we get caught in the restricted section, we're done for." She pulled open the library door and they all slid in soundlessly. The library was eerie at night, lit up only by moonlight through the glass roof. The tall book shelves that stretched to the ceiling loomed like giant shadowy sentinels. They crept to the gate leading to the restricted section. "Alohomora," whispered Harry. The lock clicked and the gate swung inward.
It was a small section, only two stacks. She walked in cautiously, Ron and Hermione at her heels. The restricted section seemed… not quite right. There was an air of filth coming from a shelf of books off to her right. She gagged. They were dripping with what had to be blood.
"Alright," said Hermione. "Lets split up and find alchemy books. Lumos." Hermione's wand tip glowed softly, illuminating the books around them. "You take that side Ron. Harry you get that shelf."
Harry lit her wand and her miniature sun exploded from the tip. Ron cried out, "Oi! Shut that off. Harry just… just stay with me in my light."
She could never control that spell. Stupid bloody Lumos.
She stuck to Ron's shoulder, and observed carefully as his wand light illuminated the books. She saw various titles that made her cringe, the tamest of which was The Art of Torture: Knives and Where to Put Them.
The wand light fell across several untitled green tomes. Ron kept walking but Harry froze in her tracks. These books were… whispering.
"Harry. You misss her. We can give her to you. Jusst… open uss…"
"Do not lissten Chica."
"Your parentss live. We can sshow you the way…"
"Liess sspeaker! Do not lissten! They lie."
"Love iss yourss. Open uss… and take it."
She reached toward them.
"Sspeaker… do not!"
She did not feel the tight squeezing on her arm or the teeth digging repeatedly into her flesh.
I just want to see-
Ron's hand grabbed her wrist. "Are you crazy? Those books are hissing!" he whispered fiercely.
She came back to herself. Her arm was searing with pain. Once Ron had turned away, she rolled up her sleeve to reveal Alice slowly circling several small wounds that were bleeding lightly. There was a large bruise in the shape of a coil as well.
"I am ssorry Harry sspeaker. You would not lissten. The red human hass ssaved you again when I could not."
Hoping Ron wouldn't hear her, or would mistake her for the hissing books, she whispered under her breath. "It's okay. You tried." She rubbed the little snake under its jaw, and rolled her sleeve back down.
She understood now that the restricted section was restricted for a reason.
They were searching the shelves intently, when Hermione let out a soft gasp from across the room. They rushed to her side. She was holding the oldest looking book Harry had ever seen, it seemed to be a bit singed. The title was burned but Harry could make out the words "old" and "magic."
Hermione stroked the cover. "This is the oldest book in the library. They say it's the only history book that survived destruction when Salazar Slytherin lit the library on fire. It's written in Latin, but all the library books are magically translated to modern English. I wanted to take it out for a bit of light reading before Christmas. I was sure Madame Pince would have let me remove it from its preservative case. But then you pulled me off to Hagrid's, Harry. We went flying afterwards… do you remember? When I came back the next day to ask Madame Pince if I could borrow it, she told me it was unavailable."
Harry rubbed her glasses on her shirt. "Hermione, that's wonderful… but what on earth does this have to do with Flamel? That book would have to be a thousand years old! That's far too early for him, even if he is one-hundred-thirty-something."
Hermione was flipping the pages of the book delicately. "Don't you understand Harry? When Madam Pince said it was unavailable, which logically meant someone had checked it out. It's a non-restricted book. Thousands of students have read it. It's not dark. It's not dangerous… so why… is it suddenly in the Restricted Section?" She searched the page she was on and slammed her hand down on a line.
The Ancient Study of Alchemy is concerned with making the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.
There have been many reports of the Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel, who celebrated his 665th birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (658).
"Hermione." Harry hugged her. "You're a genius. That's what Fluffy is guarding, I'm sure of it."
Hermione nodded rapidly. "That's why he looks young Harry! He is that young… but he's been that way for well over 1600 years! I'd bet anything that he founded the Institute for Experimental Alchemy and he's been using different glamours to be the Headmaster ever since. Hiding in plain sight. He probably cast off his name hundreds of years ago and just started to use it again, thinking that enough time had passed that he had disappeared from the history books."
Ron spoke up. "Blimey… no wonder he's been hiding. I'd hide too if I had a stone like that. People would be after it all the time. Bet that's why he got it out of Gringotts and gave it to Dumbledore. Probably knew someone was about to-"
BANG.
The library doors flew open. Hermione and Ron frantically Nox'd their wand tips. Harry grabbed the cloak from where she dropped it, threw it over them hastily, and they crept out of the section. They were halfway to the door when Filch and his eighteenth century lantern stepped around the corner.
They froze. Filch stared right through them to… the Restricted Section's gate. We left it open!
"I knew it! Students in the restricted section!" Filch held his lantern high. "I saw yer lights. I know yer in 'ere! Come out, come out, wherever yeh are…"
She nudged Ron under the cloak and tilted her head to the door. Ron took Hermione's hand and they sneaked quietly to the entrance. Unfortunately, the door opened with an echoing creak and they heard Filch come hurtling back towards the atrium.
"Run." Harry whispered. Filch exited the library as they rounded the corridor corner. They heard him shouting, "where are you? Is that you Peeves? I'll send you to the Baron I will!
They hurtled down the hall. The corridor was a dead end. They heard another voice conversing with Filch.
"Oh no," she heard Ron moan. "Snape!" The only way out was an ajar classroom door, or back towards Filch, Snape, and likely expulsion. They chose the classroom and shut the door softly behind them. Harry could hear Filch and Snape's voices fading as they moved further and further away.
Hermione gasped softly and Harry looked around. Leaning against the far wall of this musty, deserted classroom was an enormous gold framed mirror, standing as tall as the ceiling. Odder yet, in front of this mirror stood… Albus Dumbledore… in a purple nightgown… and wooly purple socks." He was drawing his wand along the mirror and speaking in a tongue Harry had never heard the likes of.
"Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi." At the top of the mirror, the strange words Dumbledore had just recited erupted in golden light.
"Ecna lig ivoteri fym evigi." These words flared, but they soaked into the mirror's surface.
Dumbledore flourished his wand and commanded in a mighty voice, "Eci rava ot tont surt." The words flashed and faded.
"Suo utri veht ot edec." Professor Dumbledore fell silent as both the words on the mirror and the frame, faded from view. He sat on the floor and stared into the mirror. Reaching out his arm, he stroked its smooth surface lovingly.
"You know, my dear girl… I have found that silence, while blessed at times, is quite displeasing to the ear."
Bollocks. She threw off the cloak and walked forward. Hermione and Ron squawked loudly and made to cover themselves back up. "I'm sorry sir I… well I…"
Dumbledore waved her off. "No matter. I trust there was a most urgent emergency in the library that needed your immediate attention… or else you would have not deemed it prudent to break curfew. Let us make a deal. I shall not inquire as to your business there, if you do not inquire as to my business here.
Harry grinned. "That's a very generous deal Professor… sir."
He winked at her. "Quite. Come… sit. Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger, you may join us if you wish. The floor while a tad chilly for an old man, is quite spacious and accommodating."
Harry heard Hermione moan nervously.
"There is no need to fear young Hermione. Your thirst for knowledge is admirable, and I assure you if you sit, I will attempt to quench it. Besides I do not think it would be very Headmasterly of me if I expelled students while in my jim-jams."
Ron laughed and came out from the cloak and shortly after, Hermione followed.
"Most excellent. Now let us observe this fascinating mirror. Look there at the text on the frame. What do you see?"
Hermione entered into classroom mode and her hand shot up. Ron laughed and pulled her hand down. She blushed a bit, but gave her answer anyway. "It looks like an early form of Latin, sir. It lacks structure and syllabic unity."
"Alas Miss Granger, it is not." Harry saw that she looked a bit mollified, but Dumbledore went on to say, "I myself thought the same when I encountered it for the first time. Harry, what do you think it is?"
"Dunno… French?"
Dumbledore chuckled. "If only. And you Ronald?"
"Oh umm" He seemed surprised that the Headmaster was addressing him directly. "I couldn't tell you, sir. I only know English. Poor English at that. Looks like gibberish to me."
"Correct."
Hermione spluttered. Professor Dumbledore smiled and said, "Without knowledge of the Mirror's secrets, it is, quite literally, gibberish. It is, as all mirrors are, a reflection. It is a reflection of the idea of the mirror's power itself. For if you were to stand before it and view its images without knowing the meaning of those words at the top, you will not understand what it is you are being shown. In essence, we must first understand the gibberish, to understand the images. To understand the gibberish we must first understand the essence of all mirrors: reversal and reflection. Mrs. Granger, would you please reverse and re-space the mirrors engraving?"
Hermione sat muttering to herself. "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi. Ishownot…yourfa…cebutyo… urheartsdesire. I show not your face but your heart's desire!"
"Ah well done. Now… knowing how to understand what you are shown, are any of you fine young Gryffindors brave enough to step before it? To truly know your heart's deepest, most desperate desire… it has driven many far beyond the brink of sanity."
No one moved.
"No volunteers?"
"I'll… I'll go," said Ron. He stood and resolutely walked up to the mirror. His body went slack. "That's… that's me." Ron turned from side to side. He flexed his nonexistent muscles. "I'm Quidditch captain! And Head Boy! And… I won the House and Quidditch cups! Hey look you guys are there, cheering... my family too. Harry, Mione come look."
They got up and crowded around him.
"I can't see anything except for us," said Hermione.
"Me neither." Harry agreed.
Ron pulled Hermione into the center. "Here look at it properly. See. Look at that! Mum and dad are- Mione?"
She had turned away rather quickly and had her and over her face. "Oh my god… that's… that's not me!" That can't be me!" She collapsed on the floor and hid her face in her knees.
"Miss Granger, may I ask what you saw?" Professor Dumbledore waved his wand and a steaming hot cup of tea appeared before Hermione.
"It was… It was me and… you, Harry, and Ron and we… we were… we were, doing to Sally Pews what she… used to do to me… but… using magic and… and I was just… standing there… laughing at her. Oh god that's not me!"
Professor Dumbledore removed his half moon spectacles, rubbing them gently on his nightgown, and peered knowingly at Hermione. "Is it not you though? Ronald, overshadowed by his brothers, insecure in his self image, sees himself as the most accomplished of the lot. And you, picked on, tortured by the stronger, more popular children at your school, find yourself stronger than they could ever wish to be. You, who now have friends that believe in you and would protect you at all costs, feel safe enough to dole out what you received. I did say deepest and most desperate Hermione... but sometimes these desires are our darkest as well." Hermione and Ron were flinching at his every word.
"I do not mean to be cruel. Drink your tea and think on what I have said. If you truly believe that that girl isn't you, that you do not wish to return to the pain that was inflicted upon you… then look again into the mirror. Your deepest desire can change with the simplest thought or realization. Our desire evolves as we ourselves grow. Ten years from now I highly doubt any of you would see the same vision."
Hermione stood up, seemed to steel herself, walked back in front of the mirror… and smiled. She turned to Harry and gave her a large hug. She did the same to Ron. And then again to… Professor Dumbledore. He seemed a bit shocked but nonetheless placed his hand on the girls head and patted her hair. "I take it you did not see Sally Pews?"
Hermione pulled back and smiled at him. "No sir. And thank you."
Silence fell over the classroom as the attention fell to Harry. "I… I don't think I want to find out."
Ron spluttered. "Oi! We did it! S'only fair…"
Harry sighed deeply and walked to stand before the ornate mirror. She gasped. Beyond the mirror's surface lay the classroom, but instead of being empty, it was filled to the brim with people, at least twenty. She immediately recognized Mr. and Mrs. Weasley in the back, as well as Bill, Charlie, and Percy. They waved to her, smiling kindly. Fred and George shot fireworks out of their wands that read, "Welcome to the family." They all looked so much older.
She stared around at the other people in the mirror. Some redheads, and some with hair… exactly like mine. Aunt Petunia stood in the far back, with a little black haired toddler clutching her hand and hiding shyly in the folds of her Aunt's dress. Petunia was cupping the back of the little girl's head. They both waved at her. At the front of this group stood a tall handsome man with messy black hair that stuck up wildly, right at the back of his head. He wore glasses and his face was settled into a warm smile. The man had his arm wrapped around a very pretty, shorter woman with wavy blood red hair. She was leaning snuggly back into the man's embrace. The woman's nose and mouth were small, delicate; her cheekbones high and pronounced; her chin falling in a soft point. Harry saw that she had very familiar large green eyes.
It was as if Harry's own face stared back at her through the mirror. "Mum? Dad?" She reached out to touch them, placing her palm flat against the silver surface. The man raised his hand as well, touching it to the glass where her hand rested. His tanned hand dwarfed her own, their palms only separated by the glass.
Her fingers balled into a fist. Give them to me! She slammed her fist against the mirror. Give them back! Her fist collided with the glass over and over. Ron rushed forward and restrained her. She fought against his body, trying to get back to the mirror. But his hold was too strong. She pounded on his chest, sobbing into his robe. Her head was throbbing furiously. She felt wind whistling past her ears and through her hair. Harry heard a loud crash as several desks toppled out of their stacks. Ron held her tighter and whispered into her ear, "Harry. Come back. Please?"
His words bounced around her brain like a rubber ball. The wind subsided and the pounding slowed. Her breathing evened and Ron's hold on her lessened. Hermione had her hand on Harry's shoulder. Harry reached up, pushing the glasses out of her face, and wiped at her eyes furiously with the sleeve of her Weasley jumper.
She waved off their questioning glances and nodded to indicate that she was fine. "I'm… I'm not done yet.
Walking back to the mirror she took in the last four people, smiling and waving at her. They were terribly familiar, yet complete strangers. To her mother's left, stood another redhead, but her hair was straight and cherry red. She was taller than Lily, face covered in freckles, intelligent amber gold flecked eyes staring into her own. Eyes she knew as well as her own hand. Eyes that flickered through the peaceful serenity of her mind augmented. Ginny? The young woman in the mirror gave her a blazing look and winked. She watched as the older Ginny slid her arms around the waist of another woman next to her. They were the same height. This woman looked exactly like her mum, but she had hair just like Harry's; longer, straighter, but the same. It even fell into her eyes in that frustratingly annoying way. If that's Ginny then this is… She saw the matching bracelets on their wrists. There was a small glowing mark shining just above each on both their arms. Harry blinked and when she moved to get a closer look, the mark had vanished. Reflection maybe.
A tall, lean man with shaggy red hair and sparkling blue eyes, reached around Mirror Harry and tweaked her ear. She punched him in the arm playfully and leaned into his shoulder. Standing in the crook of the man's other arm was another pretty woman with frizzy, thick brown hair. She was a few inches taller than the other two girls and had very long legs. She seemed confident, sure of herself and was rolling her eyes at the man as she grinned and waved at Harry through the mirror.
They seemed so happy.
"Harry?" Professor Dumbledore came up beside her. "You must understand that what The Mirror of Erised has shown you… what all of you have seen… is not the future. None of these things are certain, but knowing what you truly desire, may lead you down the path… to achieve it.
Harry nodded and felt brave enough to ask "Professor Dumbledore sir, what… what do you see in the Mirror?"
"I? You Harry, who have seen into my mind, have viewed the memories that are always at the forefront of my thoughts, cannot fathom what I might see in the mirror?"
Harry shrugged.
The Headmaster smiled and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Then let us say, for convenience's sake, that I see myself holding nice pair of thick, woolen socks." He wiggled his toes. "One can never have enough socks you see. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't receive a single pair."
Harry grinned up at him and said, "I'll be sure to send you some next year Professor."
"That is most kind Harry… most kind indeed."
0000
0000
0000
0000
Molly picked up Ginny's and Arthur's plates and went to wash them in the sink. Dinner had been so quiet that night. Her daughter, usually loud and boisterous had sat picking at her food, not eating anything. Her eyes had been puffy and her cheeks red from where she had been rubbing them on the long ride home. It was strange… her daughter so rarely cried. She didn't even cry as a newborn.
Arthur's hands slid around her waist and his lips pressed a light kiss to her ear. "Mollywobbles, what's wrong?"
She continued to scrub the plates fiercely. "I don't know Arthur. It's Ginny she… I've never seen her so upset. Not even when we told her she couldn't go with Ron to school."
Arthur leaned back against the counter and crossed his arms. "She's never had anyone but her brothers and that odd little Lovegood girl that pops around occasionally. She's certainly never had a friend like Harry before, Molly. They were attached at the hip for nearly three weeks. Now… they won't see each other again for months, and even then it will only be for a few minutes. After that they can't see each other until the end of July. That's more than half a year, dear."
"I know. How did it happen, Arthur? Two weeks and they're closer than Fred and George."
"Not for the life of me could I tell you that, Molly. But it's the way is. Why don't we take her somewhere? Get her out of the house. Maybe a Harpies match?"
"Arthur, we barely got by this year… there's no way we can. We'll have five children in school next year. We need to save up." She turned to him and leaned into his arm.
"You know I could… I could ask around at work. Plenty of people in Games and Sports owe me favors."
She couldn't help but sigh. "Ask away but… Weasleys aren't beggars, Arthur. Neither are Prewits."
Finishing with the plates, she pulled her husband out of the kitchen, to the edge of the dining room. She peered out into the sitting room. Ginny was sitting in an armchair, staring into the fire. She wasn't crying, but her eyes glistened with moisture. "I hate seeing her like this. Arthur, see what you can do… I'll put on some tea."
When she reentered the sitting room with the tea, she found her husband in the armchair with Ginny asleep on his lap. Putting the tea tray down on the coffee table, she knealt knew to the armchair. Molly brushed the hair out of her daughter's face and placed a soft kiss on her temple. "She looks so much like Gideon and Fabian doesn't she? Softer, feminine, but the face is the same. I love her so much Arthur and it… it … it just kills me to-"
Arthur shushed her and wiped her cheek. "I know love. We just need to be here. All we can do."
She nodded and kissed him fiercely, their only daughter sleeping soundly between them. Molly thought she had seen a small glowing light on her daughter's arm, but when she opened her eyes, pulling away from her husband's kiss, there was nothing but smooth freckled skin.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
.com
Questions answered on the review board.
Soo… Review!
Looking for someone to Beta-grammar specific
Sorry it took so long everybody. Long chapter though. Wanted to get it perfect.