Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Above the Wreckage ❯ Weep Not for the Memory ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Not much to say about this piece… It takes place after Fred's death; I didn't think we saw nearly enough of George's reaction.
 
So read, and enjoy! (Or…cry. It's really up to you.)
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
Weep Not for the Memory
 
It isn't real.
 
That was all George could think as he stared at the lifeless form in front of him.
 
It wasn't real, because if it was, then that meant that George was only half a person and that just wasn't right, or fair, or possible.
 
It isn't possible for one half of a person to live and for the other person to die, right? And Fred and George were the same person. They did everything exactly the same.
 
No one ever said “Hello, Fred” or “Hello, George”; it was always “Hello, Fred and George” or “Hi, guys” or something similar.
 
They had even fallen for Angelina together, though George had surrendered when he'd seen how much this particular girl had meant to his brother.
 
They finished each other's sentences and had the same ideas and never disagreed about anything because how can a person disagree with themselves?
 
He would talk to Hermione. Yes, that would be the answer. He would talk to Hermione, and she would use her unfailing and unfaltering logic to prove that it wasn't scientifically possible for Fred Weasley to be dead, or hurt, or anything that his twin brother wasn't.
 
Fred, why didn't you tell me that you planned to die? I would have come with you
 
But maybe he had told George…and George had just been in denial at the time. Because there had been a conversation…
 
-----
 
This was easily the most frightening situation they had ever been in.
 
The Room of Requirement at Hogwarts was chock-full of people, and no one seemed to be taking notice of one another. That was just fine with the twins, who were perfectly content to stand off in a corner and not think about entertaining anyone.
 
It was one of those moments. The ones when there was no humor in the words they spoke or in the silence that hung in the air when they weren't talking.
 
“George?”
 
George blinked and looked at his brother, surprised by the sudden break in the silence. “Yeah?”
 
“You know as well as I do that there's not much chance of us all making it through this.”
 
C'mon, Fred, don't say that. We'll be okayWe're Weasleys! Weasleys for the win, right?”
 
Fred gave him a half-smile. “Yeahyeah, that's the way it's always been, hasn't it?” His smile faded. “Butit can't always be that way. One of us has to go sometime
 
“What're you talking about, bro? You're kind of freaking me out
 
Fred didn't answer for awhile, and when he did, his voice was oddly quiet. George recognized the signs; they were only quiet when they were on the verge of tears or very, very angry. And this time, it was most definitely the former.
 
“George, will you promise me something?”
 
“Anything. You know that.” For once, he couldn't read Fred's mind. That scared him more than anything.
 
“I want you to promisethat if I don't make it throughGeorge, please don't cry for me.”
 
Fred, what? No, you're gonna be fine!”
 
Ignoring his brother for the first time in memorable history, Fred plowed resolutely on. “I want you to remember me and laugh. If you can only remember me with tearsdon't remember me at all.”
 
“Fred
 
Promise me.
 
“NO!” Also for the first time in memorable history, George was angry at his brother. “No, I'm not promising, because you're going to be fine! We are going to be fine, do you understand me?”
 
Fred blinked at him, and then gave him a grin. “Yessir.”
 
And just like that, the tension was gone and that cocky humor was back and they were trading humor and laughing and forgetting the rest of the world again.
 
-----
 
Fred had died less than an hour later.
 
It was the first thing they hadn't done together.
 
Weasleys for the win…
 
Who the hell did they think they were they kidding?