Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ After the End ❯ Darkened alleyways ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There was a person in the alleyway.

Normally Draco would have kept walking by, but the scene wasn't a normal one. This time it was only one person instead of a whore and her customer, and this person was sobbing in the most heartbreakig manner he had ever heard. Half shadowed in darkness, her face was not visible to him, but her crumpled form was. A once beautiful cocktail dress lay raggedly from her graceful figure, and the damp beaded tails of it clung to her bare legs. The blood red color was stark and contrasted greatly with her pale legs, as did the dark red lace up heels that ran up her ankles and calves. Her arms were wrapped around her as the rain continued to fall.

"Master Malfoy?" Came a high pitched voice to his right, and he looked down into the small gray face of his house elf Merry. "Is Mister Malfoy ready to return home yet sir?"

Home?

No...no he wasn't ready to return home. At home there was nothing but silent rooms and dark memories. The once animated portraits stayed silent whenever he passed, choosing to ignore him a greater part of the time due to their dislike of him. They knew he part he had played in the war. They knew he had taken the dark mark, to their pleasure, and they knew that he had turned spy the moment he had, sending owls to the only person he knew of that gave people second chances.

Remus Lupin.

The man was married now, with a second child on the way, the first having been born a full werewolf as well as a metamorphigi. Their contact had ended after the defeat of Voldemort, and after the death of his father and mother. There was no need to carry on. Besides, he had never told the lycan his name in the letters, always prefering to sign them with a picture of a death eaters mask to let Lupin know who it was to an extent.

But go home? Not right now. He would delay the arrival at Malfoy Manor with whatever excuse he could muster, and the girl lying in the alleyway was an excuse. He shook his head at Merry.

"Not right now. Go on ahead without me, and leave me the umbrella."

The elf did as he was told, and apparated in a cloud of smoke as the umbrella handle adjusted to a normal length.

Draco turned down the alleyway.

oooooooooo

She cried. She cried without reason, and she cried with a good one.

After all, they were still telling her nothing. It had been four years already, but she had still learned nothing about herself on the orders of St. Mungo's. After all this time didn't they realize that he memories would never come back? The least they could do is tell her her last name and how they knew her. It wasn't about fighting in the war she couldn't recall, it was about something further than that.

Harry Potters face filled her mind again and she turned into the wall with a pitiful groan of despair.

How dare he? Him and his smug little wife! Pretending to be her friends, to be sympathetic towards her plight, while undoubtedly laughing behind her back about how they were able to keep her own life from her. How easy it all was thanks to her amnesia. It wasn't as though she had asked for the removal of her memories, or the scar that signified that they may never come back. Yet they did nothing but evade her every question, only telling her what they were allowed to. What was wrong with telling her the names of her parents, or where she had gone to school? Why couldn't they just break the rules for once!

And Ron was no better! Everytime he tried to get close to her it was only an effort to try and worm his way into her heart and bed. He wasn't even trying to help her in the slightest.

And yet she was supposed to have known and loved these people since she was eleven. She was supposed to have helped them fight against the greatest war of the wizarding world and been their closest confidantes every step of the way.

In her own way, Hermione did love them. After all, they had helped her these past years, but they never gave her waht she needed most.

Her own past.

A soft cough interrrupted her thoughts and she looked up, expecting to see Ron or Harry standing there. Instead there was a man she had never seen before holding an umbrella over her head. For a few seconds his expression was calm, if faintly cold, but then his blue eyes widened ever so slightly and his mouth twisted into a sneer. The umbrella didn't go back though.

"Well, well. If it isn't my favorite little mudlood. Hello Granger." He said. She frowned.

Mudblood? That was a horrid insult! But who was Granger?

"Who's Granger?" She asked, her curiousity getting the better of her. If there was one thing she knew about herself it was that she needed to know everything. Her small apartment was cluttered with books on every topic she could find. She watched as his blond eyebroes rose in a disbelieving manner.

"Honestly, playing stupid? Tsk. That's not the bushy haired know-it-all I remember, or did you forget who you are? Somehow it figures that sooner or later you would have run out of room for all that knowledge and begun forgetting things so you could remember others. I'll only tell you this once, so I hope the knowledge that you are Granger doesn't escape you."

She gave a bitter laugh.

"Oh if only it was easy as that. As if I had forgotten only one or two things. But no, fate decided to wipe away everything." Her eyes closed in pain for a minute, then opened, tears beginning again. "So Granger is my name huh? I was told it was Hermione but..."

"What do you mean forgotten everything?" He cut in. "And your name is Hermione Granger. Hermione Jane Granger if I must, but such an uncommon name, even on such a common creature, isn't something that passes from memory."

Hermione's eyes widened. Her name? He knew her full name? What else did he know about her? Was he a friend of Harry or Ron's? But if he was he wouldn't have told her anything on the basis that her memory would return on it's own. So who was he? And how much could he tell her?

She thought back. He had called her a mudblood. That meant at least one of her parents was non-magical. Or both. Either way it was a lead.

Hermione stood up and placed a hand against the wall to brace her from shaking legs. She wasn't sure how long she had been sitting but it had obviously been long enough to cause her legs to fall asleep. Or have the blood slow down as it were.

"How much do you know about me?" She asked in a rush. " Do Ron and Harry know you? Are you friends? Who are you? How do you know me?"

He held up a hand before she could ask anymore questions, the sneer gone from his faze to be replaced by an expression of utter amazement.

"Dear Merlin Granger, you seriously don't remember anything?"

"If I did I wouldn't be asking you!"

His eyes softened and a look of pity filled them. He shook his head and gave a ruthful smile.

"I can't tell you these things. But what I can tell you is that the weasel and pothead potter are no friends of mine. Everything else you have to ask them. They are your friends after all."

He turned and began walking back down the alleyway, even as the rain began to fall harder.

With those words all her hopes were dashed. But then again...

"Wait!"

She ran after him when he ignored her and grabbed onto the sleeves of his black robes. He turned, an expression of amazed arrogance on his features.

"What did I tell you woman! This is not any of my business! Your friends are the ones you need to turn to now!" He almost yelled, exasperated beyond belief. At this point even home was looking good. More human contact and conversation was too much for him. He had spent the past yeasr living like a recluse, only speaking when in need of somethong or when spoken to, rarely going out except to walk around or get his broom checked up on. There was no need to be dragged into matters with former enemies that did not concern him.

She held on stubbornly.

"These past four years those very friends of mine that you spoke of have not told me a thing! I've lived in the dark about myself all this time, and everyone and anyone friendly with Ron or Harry has kept silent!" Why was he being so unhelpful?! "Think about how you would feel not knowing who your family is, who you are! Up until you told me, I didn't know my full name! All I know now is that I am Hermione Granger, friends of Harry Potter and Ron Weasley by their choice, and that I own a two-bedroom apartment and work at a library. Other than that I am nothing!"

Her chest heaved up and down with her words, and her eyes glittered with emotion. Loose curls floated about her face even as the rain pelted them both. Draco had long ago dropped the umbrella in shock.

"Please! You are the only person who knows them that is not a friend! I don't care if your their aquaintance or enemy, all I care about is that you know me, and you are free to tell me who I am!"

Her shoulders slumped and she fell to her knees sobbing.

" I just...I just need to know my past...I need to know who I am...Can't you understand that...?"

For a long time he didn't respond. For a long time he pondered walking away, and being the person he once was.

But at the same time he wondered what would happen if he stayed. It was obvious that she was attached to pothead potter and the weasel, but at the same time she had been horribly betrayed by them. She was still being horribly betrayed by them, and if there was one thing he understood, it was treachery. His eyes closed in pain.

He had been a betrayer once, and he had been betrayed as well.

And it was that thought that made him kneel down on the pavement beside her, and that thought that caused him to willingly touch her, a mudblood, so that he could lift her chin.

Without a word he pulled a dark curl off her forehead, even as a door creaked in the background.

"Draco Malfoy, Malfoy Manor, anytime tommorow. I hardly ever leave."

"Hermione!"

They both turned at the shout, and saw Harry running towards them. A sharp cracking sound made her turn her head back towards him, but when she looked, he was gone.

oooooooooo

So I know it's not that great, but this actually does have a plotline. Or at least I think it does. I know I have a concept in my head of a post-war amnesiatic Hermione and a reclusive dark-past and very depressed Draco in my head, coupled with lots of drama and angst going on, but I MUST WRITE IT.

I love Hermione and Draco as a couple, and any love story is good in my mind. ^.^

Anyways...read and review and tell me if this first chapter is good enough to continue or not. Oh, and my other Draco/Hermione fic, for those of you who have read it, is officially canceled.