Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2
 
Draco was lying curled up in his bed, underneath his sheets. Luckily his roommates were still in class and would be for some time. He couldn't believe that Lullia was already here and walking around the school, lost, of course. He held the pillow over his head. Earlier today he thought that his day couldn't get any worse when he rejected Pansy once again on a date.
 
“Damn it Malfoy!” she hissed. “Will you please just go out on ONE date and finally realize that we belong together!!! We make a great couple!!”
 
“I've said no since the first time you asked me three years ago!” he snapped back. Before he had politely rejected her, now he was getting tired of it. So tired of it. “Leave me ALONE! I DON'T like you! GO AWAY!!”
 
Pansy frowned, gave Draco the finger, and stormed off. The on lookers then began to mutter to each other either keeping track of how many times Draco had rejected her or how Pansy looked so desperate. Either way, he didn't really care. He sighed and sat down on the bench.
 
“Here comes an owl!” shouted a few students in the hallway.
 
Draco didn't pay any attention as he opened up his potions book and flipped to today's lesson. His parents had gradually stopped sending Draco mail when Voldemort had returned (also the Ministry started checking their mail). He began to read the page when the owl landed on his book, dropping off the letter. The owl looked at Draco with it's round black eyes.
 
“Get away you stupid owl!” he snapped gently swatting it away. The owl hooted at Draco, took flight, and went back the same way it came. He looked down at the letter seeing the fancy cursive handwriting addressed to him.
 
It's not my parents…maybe its from my cousins or something was his passing thought. He then turned it over and froze in place. The red Marcus seal was neatly protecting whatever was inside the envelope. The potions book dropped from his lap and a few students looked over at him.
 
Maybe bad news? Yes, to the on lookers, it was bad news.
 
Draco held his breath as he opened the sealed letter and took out the letter. He unfolded it and read the cursive handwriting of Rose Marcus.
 
 
Dear Draco Malfoy, I am here to inform you that your betrothed will be joining you at Hogwarts this afternoon. I understand that you have known of the situation unlike the Mr. Harry Potter. Please understand that I can't pick for my daughter and that I am sending her to choose one of you. Whether its you Draco or Potter, please keep in mind that my husband and I did make a mistake when betrothing to two boys. I do apologize for that. While she is there though she will be picking her future husband. I wish you good luck if you do start to her like her. Rose Marcus.
 
 
She was coming today. Not just today. This afternoon. Draco had gone pale as he refolded the letter and shoved it back into the envelope. This could not be happening. His entire life he had dreaded this moment…ever since childhood when he was first told about it. He wished it had never existed. Never. It felt like a trap and the only to avoid a trap, is to not get caught.
 
That gave him an idea. He'd just leave Hogwarts and lay low for a while, so Lullia would have to choose Potter no matter what. Draco shoved his book into his bag, stood and started to run down the hall. All he needed were a few things from his room then he'd be off on his broom to hide somewhere. He didn't think about how angry his parents would be or how upset the Marcus's would be. He surely didn't think that his parents would disown him, but somewhere deep down he guessed they would.
 
When he neared the end of the hall (getting strange looks from other students since no one had seen Draco really run like he was now) was when Snape appeared looking for him. Draco crashed into him, his bag going off to the side, and fell down. Snape, remained standing, simply looked down at him.
 
“Excuse you Mr. Malfoy, but where do you think you're going?” asked Snape raising a black eyebrow.
 
“Back to my room. Forgot something,” he muttered quickly getting to his feet. He still held the letter and slowly backed up. “Sorry Professor.”
 
Snape noticed the letter. “Dumbledore wants to see you. Let's go.”
 
Before Snape could really react to Draco, Draco had turned and darted back down the hallway. Hell, he didn't need his broom to escape from Hogwarts, now did he? Not really. Snape's mouth slightly opened and ran after Draco at lighting speed. Draco thought he'd be uncaught after he turned the corner instead he tripped over a small first year. He went over, rolled on the floor and bumped into a few Ravenclaw girls. Shocked they looked down as Snape stopped, gripped Draco's robes, and pulled him up.
 
“You're not getting out of this one. Let's go!” he ordered and dragged him back down the hallway.
 
Draco, still struggling to get away, saw McGonagall walk by and looking at Snape dragging him. She simply shook her head and went on her way to find Potter. The students watching gaped at how Draco was struggling to get free of Snape's unnatural strength. Now they began to talk and what type of rumors would start now?
 
“Will you please stop fighting and start walking!” demanded Snape pulling harder on Draco's robes.
 
“Let me go!” he protested. “I have to leave!”
 
“Oh shut up,” snapped Snape. “You're perfectly fine!”
 
Draco was now desperate to get out of this situation. He knew if it was anything else he'd come quietly, but not for this one. He didn't know why either. Its not that he thought Lullia was ugly or a horrible person. In fact, she was very pretty, nice, and even her family was nice. But marrying her?
 
Hell no was repeating running through his head.
 
McGonagall had walked passed them again, no Potter, and shook her head at Draco as they passed. Snape had finally dragged Draco to the gargoyle and paused to catch his breath. He had literally dragged him here using all the force he could, but this boy, obliviously did not want to meet with the headmaster. Draco's heart sank when he saw the gargoyle and acted on impulse.
 
He kicked Snape's shin and made a run for it. He couldn't believe on how cowardly he was being about this as he ran. Deep down he already knew the answer.
 
BAM
 
Draco fell to the floor, stiff. Snape marched over to Draco, grabbed him by the collar, and dragged him across the floor to the gargoyle. He had stunned Draco. “If you weren't going to be busy with the Marcus girl I'd give you a week's worth of detention.” He quickly said the password and the gargoyle jumped to the side. Snape tapped him with his wand, forced Draco to stand, and pushed him up the stairs.
 
“You can't make me go up there!” muttered Draco still standing on the first few steps.
 
Snape then smacked the back of his head and now pulled him up the stairs. He pulled him into Dumbledore's office, saw Potter staring at them, and shoved Draco into the chair. “So help me if you get up, I will kill you!” snapped Snape giving Draco his familiar death stare.
 
Draco was tempted to run. Hell even death was better than this.
 
Why in the hell are you so scared?! Snapped a voice in his head. Be a man and suck it up! You're a Malfoy for God's sake! ACT LIKE ONE!!
 
“Now, now Severus, there's no need for that. Draco is nervous as the rest of us. You may leave now.”
 
Snape gave Draco another icy glare and quickly left the office. God. This couldn't be happening already. This just couldn't. Draco then started to breath heavily and unconsciously gripped the letter tighter in his hand.
 
Dumbledore now looked at him. “Draco there was no need to be dragged up here,” he stated. “Literally.”
 
Draco didn't dare say anything, so instead he glanced over at Potter to see how well he was taking the news. He looked worried, but that was about it. He was always so calm. He then looked back at Dumbledore and wished he had made it out of Hogwarts.
 
“As both of you know you were both betrothed to the same girl and when her family assumed Harry was dead, they selected Draco. Well since Harry obliviously isn't dead, you both have a certain problem to this. Mr. Marcus has informed me that he's sending his daughter to choose since both of you are excellent wizards. She'll be arriving here this afternoon and when she does you'll both meet her. As I understand it she wont choose right away instead she'll get to know both of you and then choose near the end of the school year. Any questions?”
 
Harry then sat up. “Actually Professor I do. Why do I still count since they thought I was dead?”
 
Draco gave an unbelievable look at Harry. “Are you serious?” he demanded before Dumbledore could answer. “You're the stupid boy who lived! The Marcus family also selects famous families!”
 
God, Harry was so stupid at times! Draco even bet that his parents wished that their son was that famous. Sometimes he really did wonder why his parents hadn't tried to make him famous yet. Don't be second best was all his father could say.
 
Harry glared at Draco and Dumbledore said, “Thank you Draco. Now Harry you may leave and you are excused from your classes today. This is a great change in your life and I assume you need time to adjust. Also I have to talk to young Draco here before he leaves.”
 
Harry nodded and left the office. Dumbledore didn't say a word until he knew Harry was out of earshot of the next conversation. He leaned forward, placing his chin on his folded hands while his elbows rested on the desk.
 
“Tea Draco?” he asked calmly.
 
Draco quickly shook his head.
 
Dumbledore sighed. “You're the second person to deny tea today. I suggest you have some. It might help you with your nerves.”
 
“No thank you,” he stated.
 
“Where were you running to Draco? Snape looked out of breath after dragging you up here.”
 
“Anywhere, but here,” he answered truthfully. “I don't want to be here anymore.”
 
Dumbledore nodded fully understanding his situation. “I've received letters from Rose and your mother. What I've gathered from both of them is that you and Lullia are actually good friends and would rather not be betrothed, correct?”
 
Draco slowly nodded. Mothers always do leave things out. “We aren't really good friends,” he corrected. “We were friends, but now…we're basically nothing, Professor.”
 
“Then why run?”
 
“Why would I want to marry someone that I can't stand?” he nearly hissed glaring at the letter.
 
“Draco don't be mad at the letter. It's just a simple object. Now I do insist that you have some tea before you go down. Lullia will be here shortly and we can't have her see you looking like a nervous wreck.” He softly smiled when Draco finally nodded and poured him some tea.
 
Draco carefully sipped at it as he and Dumbledore drank in silence. The tea wasn't calming down his nerves at all. Lullia would be here shortly and then the whole school would know. Malfoy versus Potter fighting over a girl or maybe Lullia would just choose Potter because of his fame.
 
He finished his tea, thanked the headmaster and was told that he was also excused from his classes, and went down the stairs. He guessed that the teachers and the other factuality would be making sure he'd stay at Hogwarts and not make another break for it. Dumbledore probably even set up a charm to keep him inside the school grounds.
 
Draco was now at the end of the staircase, turned down the hall and looked up. He saw Potter talking with Lullia, who stared at him. She was surprised to see him. Potter then looked up to see him stopping dead in his tracks. Lullia was in her favorite shade of blue that clearly matched her eyes. He turned around and went down the opposite way towards his own dorm.
 
Once he turned the corner he briskly walked ignoring and bumping into people. He finally made it to the dungeon and jumped into his own House praying that it was empty. Luckily it was and he ran to his own room.
 
Draco now rolled on to his other side still curled up. He guessed the way Lullia and Potter were talking that they didn't know who each other really were. Potter was so clueless sometimes. Draco kept seeing that look when he appeared in the hallway and she saw him. Shock then a smile had twitched at her mouth before frowning when he turned to leave. She obliviously didn't want Potter to see that she knew him for a reason.
 
Great. She probably still hated him as well. Draco heavily sighed. That's when he heard the door open.
 
“Yo, Malfoy, you under there?” asked Blaise.
 
“What do you want?” he muttered. Draco sat up and yawned, acting like he was trying to sleep.
 
“Well for one your mum has sent two letters with a package and second, Dumbledore wants to see you in his office. I heard that Snape had to drag you there. What'd you'd do now?”
 
Draco rolled his eyes and got out of bed. “Nothing that concerns you. Just some personal stuff that came up.”
 
Blaise shrugged. “Well I've heard a few rumors about this personal stuff.”
 
Draco was now pulling on his shoes. “Like what?”
 
“Well one is that you and Potter are secretly brothers which is untrue. Second is that you both received letters saying that some girl is going to pick you for marriage. Then the last one has something to do with what the Muggles call a lottery?” He thought about the word as Draco brushed pass him and into the common room.
 
“Thanks Blaise,” he muttered.
 
He saw the two letters on the table and ignored them for him. He guessed that his mother had written one then his father had written the other. He knew that he'd mother told him to be nice to Lullia while his father yelled at him to not be second best against Potter. He'd read them later. Much later. When he exited the House he saw Snape waiting for him on the other side.
 
“Sorry about kicking you Professor,” said Draco. “Didn't know what came over me.”
 
Snape nodded accepting the apology. “I'm here to escort you to Dumbledore's office. Let's go without struggling shall we?”