Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Clair de Lune ❯ Prologue: La Clémence de Lis, Vie de Narciss'a ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue:
La Clémence de Lis, Vie de Narciss'a
“Lily's Mercy, Narcissa's Life”
 
Routine. That would be the word Lily would chose to describe her day. It was surprising how routine and repetitive her life had become in the recent months. It was true she was a skilled Auror, it was true she had confronted Voldemort three times and survived all encounters, it was also true that she was the best dueler in the entire Auror Task Force. But it did not matter to Bartemius Crouch Sr. No, the fact that she was a woman seemed to qualify her for the dull low-risk jobs that all of the fairer sex had been assigned to recently. Lily was certain she would have gone barmy with her frustration at not being able to be on the front lines with her husband if it had not been for the duties assigned to her by the Order.
 
At least then she felt useful, the restless ache in her to act quieted. The guilt she felt every time reports came to her of deaths she thought she could have prevented had she been there lessened. Lily paused at that thought and almost laughed as her husband's words when she'd told him of those thoughts repeated themselves in her mind.
 
Really Lily-flower, and you call me arrogant. You know very well you can't save everyone, no matter how hard you try, love.
 
Yes, that was just like her arrogant toe-rag of a husband, she thought fondly. And then he would make her laugh at some folly of Sirius's when they'd gone through training or something particular stupid they'd done as kids that was only funny now. James always could make me laugh, she thought dully as her fingers unconsciously ran through her long red hair. It was a habit she'd picked up from James halfway through their engagement and he would never let her live it down.
 
Lily-flower I am astonished at you! Such hypocrisy! He'd accuse with a playful glint in his bright hazel eyes. You always told me what and arrogant git I was for daring to mess up my lovely locks for the ladies' enjoyment, but now, you, my lovely Lily, mocks me with the very some gesture. It's appalling, truly appalling.
 
Lily sighed, a bit of mist trailing from her mouth in the chilled September air. Dawlish and Mackie, her permanent partners didn't even bother looking up at the somber sigh that the red head gave, making Lily suspect that she may have done it a bit more than absolutely necessary. Snorting at her on depressed state Lily sped up to keep pace with the younger girl and much older man. Looking over them Lilt realized how odd a team they made.
 
Mickey was twenty, but could easily pass for a Hogwarts First Year she was so small and innocent looking, with short blonde her, wide brown eyes, and a round sweet face. Yet under her apparent wetness Mickey held a viciousness that rivaled even Bellatrix Lestrange at times. Her cold blue eyes and penchant for torturing information out of anyone who so much as sold shoes to suspected Death Eaters sent shivers down Lily's spine. The woman was disturbed and Lily was more afraid of her than of any Death Eater. To make matters worse Mickey knew it and enjoyed the fear and pain she would occasionally branch out to her comrades. Lily suspected that had Mickey not been a Muggleborn, Voldemort would have allowed her into his inner circle.
 
Dawlish on the other hand was an older man of few words, but high intelligence. He was much more merciful than Mickey, but only when his orders allowed it. He sometimes reminded Lily of an old weathered robot, following orders exactly and never breaking any rules. Dawlish seemed to find their new, harsher orders almost as disdainful as Lily found them, but that didn't make him hesitate to AK a seventeen year old, bearing Voldemort's mark two months ago. Lily still had nightmares of the terrified child's face as the man didn't so much as blink as he killed them.
 
No, Lily was not found of her comrades, but she would work with them. She had no choice really.
 
As they walked up the path to the house they were investigating Lily's honed senses tingled. She tensed slightly and caught Mickey's attention with a small movement of her hand. With rapid sign language Lily reported what she'd felt. Appaparations, lots of them. And wards, not the normal ones that the paranoia of war called for. Disguised under the seemingly innocent spell works was something else. Something that alerted those inside when those with the lingering magical signature of Aurors came to call.
 
Suddenly it didn't seem so routine anymore.
 
 
Narcissa wasn't sure what was wrong with Jessamine. Her friend had been twitchy her entire visit and had barely reacted when she was told about the baby. In fact every time Narcissa's blue eyes narrowed over her tea cup in focused concentration on her eldest friend the woman's gaze was always straying away or glancing at the door worriedly. So when Jessamine stiffened and told Narcissa to hide, the blonde woman was not incredibly surprised. She was however surprised by, while in the process of being taken to her hiding place she ran into not only her brother-in-law, but several other men she'd heard about from Lucius.
 
Narcissa paled considerably realizing what her naivety t her friend's activities had gotten her into. Narcissa was in a safe house for Death Eaters. Jessamine was either one and had never told her or was very, very closely tied into their work. And there was going to be a raid.
 
“Jessamine, I have to go, I can't take chances hiding!” Narcissa protested struggling out of her friend's grip and reaching for her wand. Jessamine smiled at her sadly and shook her head, green eyes somber and glittering.
 
“It's too late, they've already placed the wards. I'm sorry Narcissa, I'm so sorry,” Jessamine whispered quietly and Narcissa felt a bit of panic clench her heart tight. And her friend, her oldest and most trusted friend, looked in her eyes and told her what was equivalent to a Death sentence. “They have Bloody Mary with them.”
 
Narcissa's heart stopped for one nightmarish, panicked second, that felt like an eternity as Jessamine's words sank in. Bloody Mary, a moniker worn by Mary Anne Mickey, named thusly, by those who would tremble in terror at the thought of Bloody Mary visiting there homes. She was worse than Bellatrix, preying on both sides if you so much as gave an inclination that you had talked to one who was now a Death Eater. She was also infamous for her hobby for infanticide. Nobody outside of Death Eater families knew that it had been Bloody Mary responsible for those deaths, but the grisly demise of the infants had set a fire ablaze in those who even mildly supported the Dark Lord. They all wanted Bloody Mary dead and until she was, the woman wouldn't hesitate to `cleanse' the world of `Death Eater spawn'.
 
Narcissa's knees buckled and her mind went blank. She didn't even realize Jessamine and Rabastan Lestrange were supporting her as her arms wrapped tightly around her stomach. She would die. They would kill her and her baby. Narcissa trembled as her breathing became harsher and harsher. Dimly she heard a soothing male voice cooing calming words to her as a hand stroked her temple comfortingly. I won't let her, Narcissa vowed; I won't let that bitch touch my child. Narcissa took a calming breath, still shaking lightly and jerked realizing Rabastan had been rocking her slightly and stroking her in a way that was indeed not appropriate for a married woman to condone. But when she looked into his eyes she did not see anything, but concern and affection. Besides his efforts were calming and not too inappropriate, so she would let it slid this time.
 
“We won't let her near you,” Jessamine vowed as Rabastan helped Narcissa to her feet. Rabastan nodded and Narcissa relaxed slightly. Something about his strong form and determined eyes helped relax her a little. After all this was Rabastan, her childhood playmate, who'd always played Bride and Groom with her as a child. Jessamine's lover and fiancé. He wouldn't let her or her baby be harmed.
 
Narcissa hid, her pride stinging lightly as she did, in the back of a closet. Pulling her knees to her chest the woman wrapped her arms loosely around her knees, wand clutched tight in her fist as her eyes stayed trained on the door. She believed her friends would protect her with all they had, but that did not mean she would curse the first stranger to dare walk into this room. It wasn't just her life at stake anymore. Her eyes darkened at the thought and she began listing the worst curses her sister had taught her, starting with the Unforgivables.
 
 
Lily panted as she ran through the halls her nostrils burning with the scent of smoke and charred flesh. She cursed Mickey for her foolishness. The woman had set the house ablaze, to burn the Death Eaters. With the wards in place it wasn't likely they'd get out. But that cold bitch had done it, while Lily was still inside. Coughing she stumbled tripping over something in the semi-darkness. Damn Mickey for causing this. Damn Dawlish for not stopping her. Damn Voldemort for starting this whole bloody mess. And damn the ministry for assigning her the low-risk job. Low-risk her lily white ass! Her psychotic coworker was going to burn her alive, how's that for low risk!
 
Lily threw open another door hoping to discover a window she could break, but instead was greeted with a familiar green curse. Without thinking the woman dove to the side and perform a silent Expelliramus causing the wand to jerk from her opponents unsuspecting hands. Jumping to her feet Lily stared down who had just tried to kill her and her eyes widened in shock. Sitting there on the ground blue eyes fierce and defiant, crouched Narcissa Malfoy, disheveled and panting. The woman glared at Lily slowly getting to her feet as her eyes flickered around the closet looking for an escape. Seeing none the woman looked towards Lily and sneered.
 
Lily had always dislike Narcissa and she could have very well left the woman to rot for all she cared. If she hadn't saw how Narcissa cradled her slightly bulging stomach protectively. Oh god she's pregnant, Lily realized startled. It made sense now, her reason for hiding. Horrified Lily realized that the dark rumors she'd heard about Mickey had to be true. If she sees her Narcissa is dead. She and her baby are dead. Lily's stomach clenched as she looked at this ragged woman. She couldn't honestly say she would feel incredibly awful about Narcissa being taken in, but the mere thought of an unborn child, an innocent babe, being killed, while still in the room repulsed her more than anything. In that quick tense moment when Lily Potter stared into the hard blue eyes of Narcissa Malfoy she made a decision that would effect everything to come.
 
“Follow me if you want your baby to live,” And without hesitation the woman turned and resumed her search. Lily was starting to panic slightly as her search kept proving fruitless. Her mind sent images of her death, of Narcissa's death, of James alone and grieving-
 
“The kitchen is down the next hall, I think there's a window,” an oddly cool voice said behind her. Looking over her shoulder emerald eyes met blue and Lily followed Narcissa's instructions. She almost cried out with relief at the sight of the small window. Narcissa stumbled behind her and unease spread through the younger woman. The smoke could not be good for either Narcissa or the baby. She needed to get out now. Taking a deep breath Lily didn't bother looking for something to break the glass and simply vanished. Smiling grimly she couldn't help, but think. Damn I love magic.
 
“You go first,” Lily ordered and the blonde woman clumsily walked past her and to the window. Narcissa was able to get up to her abdomen out, but the already slight baby fat she was carrying prevent her escape. Lily's veins went cold as she heard a loud woosh of hot air behind her. They did not have time for this.
 
“Damn it Narcissa suck in!” Lily shouted pushing the blonde from behind. The woman snarled something unintelligible at her and squirmed. Slowly, agonizingly slowly, the woman twisted and turned forcing her body through and pulling herself out. By the time Narcissa rolled out onto the ground below the fire was burning outside the door and Lily didn't bother being careful. Thanking every god and goddess for her slenderer, and less endowed body the slight woman easily managed to escape and pulled Narcissa to her feet.
 
“Come on we have to get you past the words so you can Appaparate home.” The red head ordered her nerves fried and her voice hard and rough from the smoke. The blonde didn't comment on the coarseness, but followed obediently behind. Lily's shoulders slumped down in exhaustion.
 
I'm going to kill Mickey when I get my hands on the heartless bitch, Lily thought viciously. She almost killed me and she's a known baby murderer.
 
 
Narcissa was tired. Tired, frustrated, and furious. But mostly she was relieved. She'd lived. Her baby had lived. And it was all thinks to Lily Potter. Looking up at the slight red head anger curled in the older woman's stomach as lessons she'd learned from infancy ran through her mind.
 
Black's most always pay their debts, we do not leave anyone with power over us.
 
I owe this woman a Life Debt, Narcissa's mind screeched in protest. I, Narcissa Black Malfoy, owe a Muggleborn a Life Debt for me and my child! I'll never pay it back, she realized despairingly. I'll be trapped by this for the rest of my life until I give this woman sufficient payment. But what is equal to my first born? Narcissa's reverie was broken as the red head paused and turned to look at her with those impossibly green eyes.
 
“You can Appaparate from here,” Lily told her quietly and waited clearly expecting some sort of thank you. Narcissa almost sniffed in disdain, but couldn't bring herself to when the crashing weight of what she owed this woman hit her.
 
“I will repay you,” Narcissa said calmly. Lily's eyes flickered with surprise and Narcissa turned snatching her offered wand and Appaparating on the spot. She would find away to do it. Even if it meant going against every teaching her parents had taught her. Even if she had to work the rest of her life following Lily Potter's every foot step. She would find a way.
 
The Hands of Fate change with one meeting…