Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Clair de Lune ❯ Exclus ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Six:
Exclus
“Outcasts”

Draco doubted he’d ever felt so alone in his life. The rest of Gryffindor House, after hearing of his slapping Granger and not the circumstances behind it, was giving him the cold shoulder. The Slytherins also, for whatever, reason had dropped the extreme measures and preceded to settle for mental abuse. The first yeas in particular were especially cool. To their eyes it had been the pureblood bigot they were giving a chance slap an innocent Muggleborn girl smaller than him. Not that much smaller of course, Draco wanted to point out since he was also slender and felt some need to defend himself. But the fact remained Draco had stricken a Muggleborn girl for seemingly no reason at all.

His parents’ response wasn’t helping. The mere thought of his mother was enough to make his heart plunge now. Narcissa would never have sent a howler, like other Wizarding mothers. No, his mother kept family business between the family. Her letter arrived the next day tied to Paracelsus pointedly lacking in a small sweet or surprise she would send him. Weasley turned instinctively when he saw the owl, (Draco had been sharing everything with him and Potter) but caught himself and turned away.

Draco felt bitterness well up in his mouth at the sight of the red head looking down at the table uncomfortably. Potter and Weasley weren’t speaking to him. And from the looks of things it was Potter’s decision, to Draco’s surprise. Potter’s green eyes looked down at his food coldly, making Draco realize Potter was aware of his gaze. Turning away Draco opened the letter heart iron with dread. There were six neatly written words.

We’ll talk during break.

Narcissa Malfoy

The letter made Draco colder than his shock after slapping Granger. There was no love in this letter and it was almost as if he could hear her utter disappointment and shame through it. He’d folded it and left quickly. By himself, as he would be forever it seemed.

But even in Draco’s bad mood he couldn’t help, but note the ironic part of the situation. Though they were all up in arms over his striking of Granger none had yet to try and befriend the girl. She was simply a catalyst for their prejudices and dislike of him. It was a cruel thing to do. Defending her so vehemently while leaving her alone in the world. This cruel Irony didn’t make Draco feel any better, in fact the hypocrisy of the action only further served to darken his mood.

Granger, if anything, looked to dislike the reactions as much as Draco and seem bewildered by the comradeship when Draco was near and the distance when he was away. Everyday he would see her hiding out in the library completely alone, hiding behind those books. He doubted she realized it, but every time a group of friends passed by her eyes would shine and her lips would tighten. Then at exactly four everyday except weekends she would leave to go hide out in the Girls Dormitories until dinner.

Draco, who also spent an exceptional amount of his time in the library, watched this occur everyday. Draco also found himself spending quite a bit of time in the underground harbor. It was quiet dark and nobody ventured there giving him some peace.  And the sound of the water was oddly calming. He’d found how to create little balls of floating light from the books he was reading in his alone time (Which consisted of all the time nowadays.) and it was now quite nicely lighted.

At least Draco’s grades were better than ever. In fact he kept asking for extra just so he could have something to fill in the time. He was about three weeks ahead in Transfiguration (McGonagall had been oddly sympathetic.), a month ahead in Charms, and actually learning the History of Magic curriculum on his own. But even so he didn’t answer in any of his classes and the teachers had stopped calling on him.

To put it simply Draco’s life had become rather depressing. And there were no signs of it getting any better anytime soon.



Draco was glad Longbottom had ruined his potion that day. The teachers had effectively cut him off and he wasn’t in the mood to teach himself about Wizarding History, no matter how interesting it was without Binns. The four foot essay he and the Gryffindor had to finish by next week he was relishing, because of its difficulty. He was checking all the information he found in at least three other books on the same topic to make it as accurate as possible and to draw it out.

He also had volunteered to write Longbottom’s essay and was debating on what grade to give it. He was considering a seventy-five, but a sixty-five was more realistic. Draco’s pride pricked and he decided to make it an eighty. Longbottom’s hurried recopying would cause a few words to be misspelled and make it seem more realistic. Let Severus think Draco had helped him.

In the middle of it his quill broke and he frowned. It was an expensive quill and should have lasted at least six months. Draco frowned and looked down at his hands his nails were stained with ink. When had that happened? Confused he dropped the quill. Hadn’t he washed them? He was certain he’d taken a bath last night. No, last night he’d lingered in his harbor and fell asleep there. It hadn’t been much sleep either. Horrified Draco realized he was wearing yesterday’s clothing. Draco jumped to his feet and stumbled away from the table.

What was happening to him? Had he honestly become so depressed he stopped caring. Shivering Draco realized it was true. And it had only taken a few days. No, that wasn’t quite true he’d been depressed and angry all summer. This had just been the catalyst that took away his only reasons for not sinking under. His mission with Potter had kept him afloat oddly enough. Alone Draco was… He shivered. He didn’t like what he was alone. Draco felt very self aware and older at that moment and knew he had to find companionship, somewhere. Anywhere.

“M-Malfoy,” a quiet voice stuttered and Draco stiffened. He turned to find Granger looking at him guilty and worried. His normal reaction would have been to blame every bad thing on her, but he was still too out of it to have the energy.

“Yes?” he asked dazed. The girl bit her lip suddenly refusing to look at him.

“It’s, j-just,” she bit her lip again and suddenly began to tear up, causing Draco’s heart to jump in his throat. Even in his state he knew getting caught with a crying Granger would not help.

“Granger?” he asked reaching out awkwardly. This only made her sniffle and a tear to roll down her cheek.

“I’m so sorry!” she wailed and Draco thanked every Saint in Heaven Madam Pince was elsewhere.

“Sorry?” he asked confused, trying to think of someway to stop her crying. She didn’t answer instead just continuing to blubber, large tears streaming. Beginning to truly panic now and having the intense desire to shut her up Draco did the only thing he could think of. He pulled her into a hug.

It didn’t have the effect he desired. She just wrapped her arms around him and cried in his shoulder. Well at least his body muffled it a bit. He looked around glad he’d chosen an empty out of the way place. Finally after an eternity for Draco she quieted to a quiet sniffle. He nervously patted her back until she abruptly stepped way. She looked up at him confused after she wiped her eyes.

“That was nice,” she told him sounding surprised and suddenly was close to tears once more. “I didn’t think you’d be nice.” Her voice was despondent, but to Draco’s relief she didn’t cry again.

“Can you please tell me what you’re sorry for?” he asked delicately watching her as one would a dangerous wild animal. Draco did not like crying girls in the least. Granger looked guilty again.

“I was apologizing for everything.” He gestured for her to continue still confused. Her lip trembled a bit as she did.

“E-Everything they’re doing to you is my fault. It’s my fault everyone’s mad. It’s my fault Harry and Ron left you. And it’s my fault you hit me. I never should have been so mean when you looked so horrible!” she wailed looking thoroughly horrified with herself. Draco was speechless and couldn’t think of anything to say to this announcement. Her eyes began to shine again and he hurried to reply.

“It’s fine.” He told her calmly. “I should never have struck a girl under in circumstances. My actions were the one’s that were inexcusable.”

Hermione snorted disbelievingly and gave him a sad look. He panicked a minute before thinking of something.

“But if you are determined to accept all the blame, which you really shouldn’t,” he assured her, though judging by her look she knew that wasn’t entirely sincere. “I accept you apology.”

This seemed to relieve her and suddenly she looked a bit shy. Draco had no idea what to say so the situation soon grew awkward. After a few moments Granger looked at him with suddenly determined brown eyes.

“I’m going to make it up to you,” she told him vehemently. “If they see us together and I tell everyone I provoked you and you apologized they’ll calm down.”

Draco highly doubted that would work, but then again Gryffindors weren’t exactly the brightest of people. Perhaps the simple plan would work. But would Draco risk his reputation. It was true he’d hung around Potter and Weasley. But Weasley was a pure-blood and the Potters were a respected pure-blood family and they were cousins. If he could find a way to finish his debt he could redeem himself in the eyes of pureblood society. But associating with a Mudblood…

Draco looked at Granger’s earnest gaze and depressingly realized it was his own fault for asking for companionship from anywhere. Well, if he was going to hell he might as well do it thoroughly. And what was more thorough than a Mudblood.

“Sure.” He told her calmly and she beamed at him wetly. “But first we need to clean you up.”

It was true she was a horrid sight all splotchy, nose snotty and crusty, and eyes swollen and red. Granger looked startled as he drew his wand and warned her to remain still. His mind set with her was very much like his with Potter and Weasley. Just because he was forced to associate with her did not mean her appearance would be permitted to shame him. Granger’s eyes went wide as he cast the first charm.



Surprisingly being with Granger was rather freeing. Her guilt over his hell had pacified her natural bossy nature for now and she was actually able to hold a decent conversation. She did become a little miffed every time he pointed out an inaccuracy or how she could make her position stronger, while gong over her homework. But in all honesty it was amusing to see her pride prick every now and again. Plus her presence helped him not sink back.

The Gryffindors reactions had been pleasing. Weasley had literally spat out his pumpkin juice and several others had gagged on food. Draco had been vindictively pleased to see Lavender Brown choke on a piece of toast. The brat had talked like she was above him to his face in the most irritating snotty tone. Potter on the other hand had been worrisome. His face had remained blank even when Weasley looked at him pleadingly. Well looked like Weasley was more attached than Draco gave him credit for.

The Slytherins hadn’t exactly changed much, beyond adding Mudblood Lover to their arsenal of insults. Draco, who by now wanted them all to burn in hell, took greet pleasure in slapping Granger in their faces and insulting them in anyway he could. But he would bide his time until he took his real revenge on them. After all he may be a Gryffindor on the outside, but titles were only skin deep. On the inside he was pure Slytherin. And Slytherins always had revenge.

Draco almost gave up on his ability to repair his relationship with Potter until four days after he’d started his partnership with Granger. Potter had caught him alone in the dormitories looking repentant, but firm. After apologizing for his behavior and Draco forgiving him, he’d said something that surprised and confused Draco.

“I just can’t stand watching guys hit girls. Or anyone hit someone weaker than them.” He said darkly and Draco wondered what that knowing tone in Potter’s voice was. He put it out of his mind though. His mission was back on and he had recovery work to do.

Converting /tmp/phpEMXkpi to /dev/stdout