Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dirty Magic: A Snape Collection ❯ Just For One Glimpse ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Just For One Glimpse

Severus hated going to Lily's house. Somehow her horse-faced Muggle sister always answered the door when he came to call, like she was spying out the windows for him, and waiting behind the door like a cat ready to pounce on its prey before he even rang the bell.

This time was no different. Petunia's bitter face looked uglier than ever as her eyes roamed over Snape from the top of his greasy head to the bottom of his ragged shoes, full of loathing. Severus regarded her with no less distaste.

"Where's Lily?" he said without preamble.

"None of your business," Petunia spat and rushed to shut the door in his face, but Severus pulled out his wand and froze it so quickly that he must have expected this.

"It is my business," he said, his voice dangerously soft, "because I have not seen her in three days."

His wand was still pointed toward Petunia. Her face had gone stark white, and she was working frantically against the stuck door, which wouldn't budge an inch. Severus advanced half a step, and she whimpered.

"She has chicken pox!" Petunia stammered. "She'll be stuck in bed for two weeks!"

Two weeks? Her proclamation fell upon Severus like a death sentence. It may as well have been a lifetime's imprisonment away from Lily, the way it affected him.

"Let me see her," he demanded.

"No! She's not allowed visitors!" And as Petunia resumed shoving her entire skinny frame against the charmed door, she began screaming for her parents.

Severus's eyes narrowed and he swept away, pointing his wand over his shoulder and slamming the door shut in Petunia's frantic face.

He wasn't ready to accept defeat, not yet, not ever. Severus swore to himself that for the rest of his life he would never let anything stand in the way between him and Lily Evans, least of all a barrier as flimsy as a childhood disease. Even if he had to sleep outside her window all night just for one glimpse of her face, he would see those green eyes again.