Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Ashes of Hope ❯ Chapter 8: News ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Harry Potter and do look at Chapter 1 for the rest
 
Chapter 8
News
In a gloomy house hidden in the unplottable recesses of GrimmauldPlace, a group of wary wizard folkcongregated around a large table situated in the basement. Among them paced Nymphadora Tonks who, in doing so, earned a good number of glares from her companions.
In her nervous fret, her hair changed a varying array of colors and her nose molded into at least a dozen shapes and sizes. Less nervous if not incredibly more exhausted sat Molly Weaselybeside an empty chair reserved for her husband Arthur Weasely.
However, the said man was miles away doing paperwork at the ministry of magic. Several other people could be found floating around the room or nervously sitting around the table with folded hands or tapping fingers. One in particular, Severus Snape, was at the receiving end of Minerva McGonagall's meaningful looks which deliberately went ignored.
“Tonks dear, do stop pacing. I couldn't imagine trying to install new carpets in this retched place if you tread through the threadbare rugs already here.”
Tonks saw through Molly's weak smile and noted the concern beingdirected towards her. Therefore, Tonks found something other than pacing on which to focus her attention. Looking around, she noticed a string slipping under the door and strode over. However, never having been the most coordinated of people, she tripped over the same route she had just been treading and fell flat on her face, her head missing the door by mere inches.
“It amazes me,” drawled Snape, “the dexterity required of an Auror. One cannot imagine the comfort it gives me to know that our police force is so well trained.”
“Severus! Was that really necessary?”
“I was not kidding, Minerva. Nymphadora's skill truly astounds me. It makes one wonder how she passed her dueling exams… she clearly could not have passed on her skills alone. Perhaps she fell on her opponent?”
“It makes one wonder how you could have become a potions master, with hands so jittery. If you weren't so crabby, it would appear you overdosed on pepper-up potion with the way you can't sit still for two minutes!” At Minerva's exclamation, snickers erupted from the other side of the door and the somber mood was temporarily forgotten. Snape immediately stopped tapping his fingers and sent a potent glare at his smug colleague.
Meanwhile, Tonks recovered herself with a blush, lifted herself from the floor, and opened the basement door to reveal the Weaselychildren on the other side. Fred and George sat nearest the threshold with what appeared to be an ear-on-a-string in their hands. Ron and Ginny sat two steps higher, leaning towards the door.
“George! Fred! Ronald! Ginevra! What don't you understand about privacy? Get off the floor this instant!”
“Fancy seeing you here, mum.”
“Why, this looks like a party!”
“But why would our dear -”
“mother be having a party -”
“without us? No party -”
“is a real party without us!”
Molly scowled at the twins while Ginny and Ron just laughed. “Get upstairs now! If the information at this meeting was relevant to you, you would have been invited. And give me that Ear! I'll have no more spying out of you!” Molly grabbed the Extendable Ear from one of her sons and began to motion them upstairs.
“But Mother! If you would just let -”
“us join the Order, -”
“we would not need -”
“to spy on you like this!”
“Maybe if you could learn to mind your own business, we'd find you trustworthy enough to be in the Order! However, because this is obviously not the case, I'd appreciate you going upstairs with Hermione! She seems to have sense enough to keep out of official matters.”
“No!” Ginny supplied. “She just doesn't want to get caught. `I'm not going to be the one with extra chores today just because I can't wait for someone to fill us in,'” she mocked.
“And plus,” Ron added, “She'lljust ask us what happened when we do get upstairs!”
“Oh Ronniekins! Tisn't nice to tattle on your girlfriend!
“If she finds out -”
“that you ratted her out -”
“you won't get to snog today!” finished Fred.
Ron had the decency to blush before looking down at his feet. For the first time that morning, Tonks stopped worrying about the distraught Remus that left from headquarters that morning and let a small smile slip onto her face.
Some of the other Order members also revealed grins but Molly was as angry as ever. She appeared to be ready to berate her children once more when suddenly the shouts of Mrs. Black began to fill the house. Hermione appeared on the stairs followed closely behind by Dumbledore and Remus. The Weaselysstood up off of the steps and entered the room to allow more space on the stairway.
The most notable thing about the arrival was the expression on the faces of Dumbledore and Remus. Dumbledore looked older than anyone in the room had ever seen him and his hands shook against the railing. When he entered the room and lifted his head, every person was shocked by the dullness in the once sparkling eyes. The old man slowly made his way to the head of the table and tiredly sat down.
Remus, on the other hand, was far worse. Although most people had grown accustomed to the look of defeat on the werewolf's face over the last year, no one was ready for the intense expression of hopelessness visible in his amber eyes.
He strode across the room like someone approaching his execution, and upon reaching the table he slowly sat down. Tonks, with more concern in her eyes than anyone had ever seen, walked over to the much older man and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, one which went unnoticed by the werewolf.
The room was silent save for the footsteps of Order member rearranging themselves. The teens sent inquisitive looks at each other and even the usually jovial twins sensed the subdued mood.
“Children, I think its time for you guys to go upstairs.” Molly offered quietly, as if trying not to further upset the headmaster or Remus.
“No.” came Dumbledore's quiet response. He raised his eyes to the five kids and motioned them to the table. Stealing a look at Remus, who appeared too deep in thought to protest, he continued, “Stay. You might as well be here for the meeting. You have just as much a right, if not more of one, to know and you'd find out anyway.” He sighed. “It's better you find out now from me than from the papers.”
Nervously, the children sat down at the table. Remus sat between Tonks and Dumbledore while Minerva and Snape sat at the headmaster's other side. Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Fred, and George respectively sat between Shacklebolt and Jones while other Order members, like Dedalus Diggle and Elphias Doge, sat between the groups.
“Severus, I trust you have not informed anyone else of the situation?”
“No, Albus. Only Minerva.” was Snape's quick reply.
There was a pregnant pause before Dumbledore resumed speaking. “As you all have probably concluded, something large has occurred today. New information came to my attention this morning, through a reliable source,” he nodded to Severus, “concerning events that happened a little over twelve months ago.” Dumbledore paused for a few seconds to let his companions think about what had happened.
Most people understood immediately that he was referring to Harry's “betrayal” and waited intently for Dumbledore to continue. Realization took hold of Tonks' features and she slid her arm around Remus to comfort the distraught man. Any mention of Harry over the last few months had sent Remus further into depression yet the most she could do was to comfort the man for which she cared about so much. However, Remus refused to raise his bloodshot eyes from the table.
“As you all remember, Harry Potter was convicted of murdering several occupants of the Leaky Cauldron last summer. It has only this morning come to my attention that we were wrong. Harry was innocent.”
The tension in the room was as thick as butter. Everyone sat still in disbelief. For the most part, it seemed that no one could comprehend the statement. It was Hermione, of course, who spoke first.
“It's impossible.” she announced quietly. “There was… there was… too much pr-proof!” No one said anything, so she continued in a meek and stuttering voice. “No, no. He - he was seen. There were w-witnesses. He even … testified under Veritaserum…” The last part was merely a whisper.
“No!” Remus' vehement shout shook many of his companions from their stupor. He stood up and, with tears streaming down his face, yelled right at Hermione. “No! He's innocent! INNOCENT! Like… like Sirius!” he sobbed. His voice slowly grew quieter with every word.
“He didn't kill anyone. He-he couldn't. He would never hurt anyone… like I told you… I told you he was innocent!” Right when it appeared Remus was going to choke on more sobs, he screamed, “you condemned him!”
At this point, he was no longer just talking to Hermione, who was in tears by this point, but to the entire group as well. “You might as well have killed him! You called him a traitor… and left him to rot in Azkaban like some rotten Death Eater! You all called him a murderer… him a Death Eater…”
Remus could no longer finish what he was saying. He shut his eyes as tightly as he could and collapsed in his chair. Tonks embraced him, rubbing his back as she did so, but the werewolf was little comforted. Everyone sat in the tense environment for several silent moments, merely watching Remus' hysterical sobs or Hermione in silent tears. Dumbledore finally began talking again after he felt he had appropriated enough time for Remus to calm down.
“This morning it was revealed that Harry was framed for his crimes by none other than Voldemort himself. He never murdered anyone, not his schoolmates nor the barkeeper Tom. He was not even present at the attack.”
“But how?” Hestia Jones asked quietly. “How was it possible? Veritaserum cannot be overcome.”
“The means do not matter at the moment; simply, Voldemort found a way.”
Suddenly, Ginny stood up with fervor akin to the previous display of Remus. “Then what are you waiting for! Remove him from Azkaban! If you know he's innocent, you can prove it!”
Everyone looked attentively at Dumbledore who met Ginny's eyes with great reluctance. Everyone knew of her feelings towards the youth, and despite all appearances until recently, she herself could be called to almost resemble Remus in despair.
But everyone knows the strength of Molly Weasely who simply allowed her daughter to cry and to grieve for the loss of what she believed...
Was her daughter's childhood crush....
Meanwhile, Remus merely shook his head in further sadness as he tries not to choke on pained emotions....
“Miss Weasely, if you would calm down and sit I will continue. Thank you. This morning, as you may or not have been aware, Harry turned seventeen. Therefore, he officially became an adult today. Adults with criminal records are treated differently than children with criminal records, and, as so, Harry is no longer a juvenile prisoner.”
“Stop beating around the bush Albus!” Snape snapped impatiently.
“This morning, at 6:00 AM, he was executed.”
Remus' demeanor was the only one that did not change. Everyone else sat frozen in their seats, some with mouths open and others with jaws tense. Ron seemed unable to comprehend the news while Hermione seemed unable to stop crying. Ginny slid into her chair and began weeping. Minerva's face paled considerably and Snape sat at the table with tightened lips.
They had all, save Remus, come to believe that their friend Harry had gone to the dark side. They had thought Harry did the unthinkable… and they had thus ignored him when they needed him most. At first, Hermione and the Weaselyshad held onto hope that it was a mistake… but after the initial evidence was presented, they felt they could not deny the facts. During the only time they saw Harry between the arraignment and the verdict;they had called him some horrible things and turned their backs on him.
Of course, they were not necessarily wrong for doing what they did, with the information presented. They had only sent bitter words towards him under the belief that he had betrayed them and murdered fellow classmates. They had truly believed he had sided with their enemies. And now they knew they had been wrong.
That feeling deep in their souls since they condemned him with their beliefs of everything had erupted into a pain filled anguish.
The implications sunk in. Their best friend had missed school for a year. He had spent an entire year in Azkaban.
Right after Sirius' death, for which both Ron and Hermione, the two Harry had considered his best friends. Knew how much the death of his godfather had hurt and that the nightmares of it troubled him for days afterward....
While still grieving, more weight had been added to the boy'sshoulders and he had been abandoned by his friends. He had suffered from dementors (and Merlin! Everyone knew Harry's horrible reaction to them) and had been reportedly driven to non responsiveness. And now, when they finally discovered they were wrong and could possibly repent for their abandonment, could possibly help Harry recover, he was killed.
Executed.
Most likely by dementors, no less.
They would never see their friend again and had only last seen him on horrible terms.
Needless to say, the despondency that seized the room was suffocating.
The first one to talk was Snape. Either out of bitterness or out of inability to cope with the death of his enemy's only son, he said the wrong thing. “Is that all, Albus?”
“Is that all!” came Molly's frenzied cry. “Bloody hell, Snape! What in the name of Merlin is wrong with you!”
And after that, there was chaos. Various order members began shouting at one another, the greatest offender of which was Mrs. Weaselyherself. Meanwhile, other persons, such as Hermione and Ron, found it impossible to converse with one another about the horrible news.
After all it was through Harry that they had bonded so closely...
Instead, they sat in tense, depressed silence. Remus, having calmed into stilled shock, utilized this time to escape the chaotic room and head upstairs. Tailing him was a concerned Tonks.
When they arrived upstairs in one of the spare bedrooms, Remus collapsed on the bed with his head in his hands and his elbows on his knees.
“Remus…” Tonks offered, while shutting the door quietly behind her.
“I cannot do it. I can't.”
“Remus, I'm sorry…”
“I can't go on like this!” Remus appeared to have given up hope in the world. He sat on the bed, unable to cry anymore. “The Order… I can't do it. The world's too heavy now… I used to have James and Sirius and Peter… then James died and Peter supposedly as well, and I thought Sirius was a traitor! But even then, I still held hope for Harry. But now, Sirius is gone as well and Peter is the traitor… still alive… and no one is left! Harry kept me going… knowing a legacy of James existed… it kept me alive.”
Tonks sat down on the bed and hugged Remus as tightly as she could. “I'm sorry, so sorry.” She mumbled on, trying to sooth the despondent man. However, Remus stood up, lightly pushing her away, and turned his back to her.
“You have to understand, Tonks. I cannot do this!It's too much! We… can't continue…”
“Remus…”
“I love you Tonks.” He turned around, eyes brimming with tears once more. “I love you. I love you. Merlin, you have no idea how good it feels to say that. But… I cannot continue. I need a break… a vacation… you have to understand…”
“You're going to leave?”
“Yes.”
“For how long?” Remus was unable to answer, and instead looked at the floor. “I'll be waiting, Moony.”
“Forgive me, Tonks. I need time alone. I'll go to muggle London I suppose… or somewhere farther. Yes, much farther. Don't let anyone follow me.”
“I won't.”
Remus did not know what else to say. Both Tonks and Remus stood there several moments, vainly searching for something more to say, but nothing came. Without raising his head to look at Tonks once more, he turned and left. Even when the rest of the Order noted his absence several hours later, no one sought him out.