Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Daughter of Slytherin ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the plot of this story and the character Ana. This is a re-written version since I got my muse back! Plus I'm older now and can express myself better.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
It was a stormy night outside in Surrey. It always seemed to be stormy now. Private Drive seemed to have the worst of the storm as Harry Potter sat on his bed. He looked out his window as another bolt of lightning streaked across the sky, and the rain pounding against his window.
 
“I'm 16 in just 5 more minutes.” Harry whispered to himself. The just one more year until I leave this place for good!”
 
His 16th birthday was slowly approaching he had been sitting at his bed side for over an hour watching the lightning. His alarm clock glared red at him showing 2 min left until he would be 16.
 
The whole world seemed to be against him these past weeks. He barely slept anymore because of Voldemort in his head. He looked around his room to see his prized Firebolt lying on his floor next to his trunk. His alarm clock beeped softly signaling that he was finally 16.
 
He layed down in his bed, crawled in and turned off his alarm clock. Tomorrow morning the Order would show up and take him to his Godfathers house where he would stay at headquarters.
 
“And that's just what I need, to be reminded I got Sirius killed…” Dark thoughts plagued him of death and destruction. Voldemort laughed at him in his sleep, telling him how weak Harry truly was.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
It was the one of the first clear days in weeks on August 20th.
 
The order had tried so hard to cheer Harry up the best they could, but nothing worked. On the 22nd, they whole Order was getting together for some big meeting Dumbledore had arranged. Apparently though he needed to go away for a while to get something before the meeting.
 
The black haired boy would continuously lie on his bed staring at the ceiling. He still felt awful. Sirius Black, his Godfather, died to protect him. This was Sirius's house that he now owned. He felt alone all over again.
 
Barely eating since he left Hogwarts last year, it was even harder for him to get to sleep. Voldemort was alive again because of his blood, then Sirius died because he was careless. Completely miserable, Harry had gone into a deep state of depression. He hadn't seen Hedwig for more then three days and was starting to worry for her as well. He turned over screaming into his pillow, and then he did something he didn't even know he was still capable of still doing.
 
He cried.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
Harry woke to being poked on his cheek. Opening his eyes, he saw Hedwig with his glasses in her beak. He took his glasses from her and put them on. Harry saw, tied to her leg, a large yellow envelope. He untied the envelope from her leg and she hopped onto his side table. The seal on the back of the envelope was shiny and golden.
 
A deep breath could be heard before a huge sigh of nervousness filled the room. It was his O.W.L. results.
 
Opening the envelope slowly, he read the first sheet of parchment, which was his list of texts he required for his sixth year at Hogwarts. The next sheet he pulled out was a letter from Dumbledore. The letter said that he would be picked up from the Leaky Cauldron in a Ministry Car, which would take him to King's Cross.
 
The third sheet of paper he pulled out was folded percisly so that all the corners and edges matched perfectly. At the opening of the fold, was a gold seal. In curvy writing the words “Harry James Potter, Ordinary Wizarding Level Results” was scribed on the front. Breaking the seal carefully, he slowly unfolded the letter.
 
ORDINARY WIZARDING LEVEL RESULTS
 
Passing Grades: Outstanding (O) Failing Grades: Poor (P)
Exceeds Expectations (E) Dreadful (D)
Acceptable (A) Troll (T)
 
HARRY JAMES POTTER HAS ACHIEVED:
 
Astronomy: A
Care of Magical Creatures: E
Charms: E
Defense Against the Dark Arts: O
Divination: P
Herbology: E
History of Magic: D
Potions: E
Transfiguration: E
 
He read it over twice then three times. He had passed everything except Divination and History of Magic. He let out a sigh that he didn't get any Trolls.
 
He read it over again just to make sure he read it right the first 3 times. But this time his eyes landed on his potions grade.
 
E.
 
That one mark had ruined his whole chance at becoming an Auror. `Because that greasy git Snape only lets into his class those that get an O on their OWLS.' He thought to himself. His world started crashing down on him again as he got out of bed and threw on a pair of dark loose jeans that used to belong to his cousin Dudley.
 
He looked through his trunk and found a light blue t-shirt, and his traveling cloak. He pulled them on before grabbing his Gringottes bank key, and stuffed it in his pocket.
 
It was time to do some shopping in Diagon Alley.
 
*~*
 
He walked down the stairs to hear two very familiar voices. Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley were sitting at one of the tables and eating some toast. Hermione had her nose buried in the Daily Prophet.
 
“Hermione, Ron, nice to see you two not arguing!” Harry had a hard time not chuckling slightly while he said the last part.
 
“Haha Harry, very funny.” Ron said glaring at Harry before stuffing another piece of toast into his mouth.
 
Harry took a seat at the table between Ron and Hermione. As soon as he had sat down a middle aged looking witch with short grey curly hair and a very crooked nose put a plate of toast, and three circular things that looked like melted chocolate and banana chunks swirled together.
 
“Its called Meruysa, Harry. It is very tasty. The yellow chunks are a bit tangy though.” Hermione said her eyes glancing at Harry's questioning face.
 
“Do you know everything Hermione! And what is that you are drinking?” Ron questioned her.
 
“If it is written in a book probably. And it's called tea. It's an herbal tea.” She glared back taking a sip.
 
“Yah well it smells weird.” Ron replied with a yawn.
 
“Anything interesting in the paper. Any Death Eater sightings or news about …Voldemort?” Harry said the last bit quietly so the whole place wouldn't hear, but Ron still shivered at hearing the name.
 
“Actually, Harry, there isn't. But there is something of interest here. It says here that Cosmos School of Mysterious Magic burnt to the ground just yesterday, and it was a magical fire so they couldn't put it out.” Hermione said laying the paper on the table. It showed a moving picture of a building covered in flames.
 
“Cosmos? Where's that?” Ron said looking at the paper.
 
“No one knows. I guess it's hidden like Hogwarts. It is said that only Witches and Wizards that go and have gone there, only go to keep their names secret. They're names get them in trouble. The school didn't have much security, but from what I've read it opened only a couple of years after Hogwarts, and it's never had problems before.” Harry took the paper ad turned it around so he could read it.
 
“Hey it says here that 22 of the students will be transferring to Hogwarts.” Harry quoted.
 
“Yah and that's not all,' Hermione began, “It also says that one of them is going to be learning to become the new potions master at Hogwarts. See…” she pointed to another article right next to the picture of the burning building “...it says that Professor Snape is retiring in a couple of years and is looking for a competent successor.” She finished.
 
“Retiring, What a joke…” Ron finished quietly so that only the other two could hear him.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------
 
Finishing their breakfasts, the trio walked into Diagon Alley and went straight to Gringotte's bank. Harry found himself standing in between Ron and Hermione staring at his piles of galleons, suckles and knuts that his parents had left for him before they had died.
 
He had forgotten that Ron had probably never seen that much money in his life. He quickly went in and grabbed some of the coins, stuffing them in his bag before returning outside the vault, grabbing a baffled Ron's arm and dragging him back to the cart that would take them back to the surface.
 
Together they walked through the ssop-lined street before splitting up.
 
Hermione went to go and get supplies for her ancient runes class, Ron went to his brother's joke shop, and Harry went to the nearest Broom store, Syla's Broom's.
 
In the window sat a shiny new Firebolt. That brought a smile to the dark haired boys face.
 
Unlike his Firebolt back home, this one still looked new. His was becoming worn with Harry's love for quidditch. He was, after all, Griffindor's prize seeker. The position didn't come without a good bashing to the seeker's broom. After peeling his eyes off the broom that was bringing up many good memories of flying, he walked into the store and bought a new pair of gloves and boots to replace his old worn ones.
 
He was once again walking the street of Diagon Alley when his eyes spotted a sign just next to a connecting alleyway. `Knockturn Alley', it read. Harry stood there glancing at it before turning around and slamming into something.
 
“Oh I'm so sorry sir! All these new Hogwarts books are a bit heavy. Cosmos was so much lighter on the books…” Her voice faded off as she looked at whom she had crashed into. “Wait your…” She started but Harry interrupter her.
 
“Harry Potter, yah…” his voice faded off as he looked at her.
 
Long strawberry-blonde hair cascaded down her back. Soft bangs covered her forehead, which lead down to her eyes. Their deep pools of green rivaled that of his own. She wasn't that skinny, as she at least looked to have meat on her bones, but she had amazing curves. She was dressed in a long sleeve black shirt, and a green skirt with a yellow stripe at the bottom. Over her shoulders was a black traveling cloak. Tied around her waist, was a belt with bottles full of different coloured liquids and chopped up bits and pieces of this and that.
 
His brain momentarily shut down and he was frozen to the spot.
 
“Sorry I didn't see you.” He finally managed to say, “Did you say you used to go to Cosmos?”
 
“Yah. To bad it burnt to the ground. I was wondering when he would get to doing it. You-Know-Who I mean.” She smiled at him. “Well I better be off. I still have to get fitted for a uniform.” She started walking away before turning around, “By the way, the names Ana. I look forward to seeing you at Hogwarts, Harry!” Harry just stood there. His eyes glued on her retreating figure, watching the way she swayed her hips as she walked.
 
He was mesmerized.
 
“Hey Harry wake up. We can go back to the Leaky Cauldron now.”
 
“What? Oh…yah” Harry said intelligently shaking his head slightly.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
 
The same great story with a few grammer changes and a little bit of new words here and there. You know the drill, Read and Review!!!