Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Daughter of Slytherin ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Athors blog: Ok yes it took forever for this chapter, but that's because I am working on two different stories at the same time, and I had a last minute new plot idea I had to add in.
 
So on with the new and improved chapter 4
 
Chapter 4
 
*~*
 
The teachers had all gathered after dinner in the headmaster's office. They all stood or sat somewhere waiting for someone to say something.
 
It was custom that after the first years had been sorted that they had a staff meeting to clear up any mis-haps in timetables caused by the ratio of how many students were new to each house. But no, this year everyone had something else on their mind, and was waiting for someone else to speak first.
 
“This is insane Albus. You really have gone over the edge this time. Seriously she is HIS child. You must have known?” McGonagall had spoke first. She couldn't wrap her head around it. The headmaster did have his moments of insanity in her opinion, but this was too much!
 
Dumbledore twinkled at her. “Minerva please. She is in your house. You must have different feelings for her now…”
 
“Yes. A Slytherin heir, in Gryffindor. How quaint.” Snape cut the headmaster off. “Still, I wish you had informed me that SHE was the one taking the position as my apprentice.”
 
“Now why would I do something like that Severus.” The headmaster's eyes were twinking.
 
Snape knew those eyes, just as the rest of the staff did. The headmaster was scheming again.
 
“Alas, this is much more fun. I did tell you that your apprentice was the best in the field and that she would be competent enough for you. I promised you that.” Dumbledore was smiling now, still twinkling in Snape's direction.
 
The arguing continued for a while before Dumbledore walked over to his pensive and put his wand to his head. As he pulled it away, a white stream came along with it. He placed the memory in the pot before turning back to the other professors.
 
“She is physically, emotionally, and mentally safe here. I would not let her go to any other school. She is a founder's heir, and as such, deserves to learn in the school her ancestors helped create.” Dumbledore was getting agitated now.
 
“If you sure she is safe here Albus,” McGonagall said before sitting down taking off her hat.
 
“But I still worry. The other ex-Cosmos students seem to already be fitting right in. I just fear for the girl here. I know you told all the Hogwarts students not to be negative towards them, but they do it amongst themselves. I don't think they could not be negative towards the girl.”
 
“Minerva you worry too much,” Snape started. “The girl will be fine in your house.”
 
“Then it is settled.” Dumbledore interrupted, before McGonagall interrupted him.
 
“Before I forget Severus, you did make the exceptions for Mr. Potter and Mr. Wesley to be in your advanced potions class yes?”
 
Snape scophed slightly, before mumbling that he had and he was only doing it because it was for Potters future becoming an auror, and then even quieter because the order wouldn't have let anything else happen for their “special” golden boy.
 
Dumbledore gave the potions master a disapproving look.
 
The meeting then forward went forward like usual making class schedule changes.
 
~*~
 
It was really late for anyone to be still awake sitting in the common room of Gryffindor Tower.
 
After 12:30 am, most brave little Gryffindor children would be in their beds sleeping. But Harry Potter was no ordinary Gryffindor, and as such, staying up past midnight was a habit of his.
 
Ever since the year previous he had never quite felt the same.
 
Voldemort had possessed him.
 
He may have pushed him away, but the feeling never completely left him. It wasn't uncommon for the awful night in the Ministy to haunt him in his dreams.
 
The chair next to the fire saw him often.
 
But this wasn't one of those evenings.
 
The reason he had stayed up, was because of all that had happened that day. He had far too much on his mind to sleep.
 
The pretty girl he had met in Diagon Alley was the child of Voldemort. He couldn't seem to comprehend it. Ana was Voldemort's child. He found that the thought made his heart fall into his stomach, and he didn't want to think about the reason why. Not to mention that he had befriended her, and now every time he was around her, his scar prickled.
 
He sighed slouching in the chair. He sometimes still thought he saw Sirius's face in the fire, only to remind himself of the veil. It was these moments that made him turn away and close his eyes letting only the heat of the fire effect him.
 
“May I join you?” A soft voice interrupted his thoughts.
 
“Ana…yah come sit down. Couldn't sleep either?” He watched her take the seat next to him on the couch. He watched the light dance on her face. Her hair, illuminated by the fire, made him smile. He had to admit to himself that she was very nice to look at.
 
“No I couldn't sleep.” A long silence passed between them, both of them staring at the fire.
 
Harry was once again startled out of his thoughts by the soft voice of the only other room's occupant.
 
“You know, I wish you would stop looking at me like that every time you see me.” She spoke softly. He turned his gaze from the flames back to her. Ana was now lying down, a cushion under her head, and a blanket covering her body.
 
Not looking back in his direction, though she could feel his eyes on her, she grabbed her wand under the blanket and waved it at the book shelf “Accio Book of Potions3: A Guide to Spanish Derived Potions.” She grabbed the book when it came quietly from the shelf.
 
“Look at you like what?” He asked watching her open the book with the same look Hermione had when she opened a book.
 
Harry was no longer slouching but sitting straight up.
 
“That look that you give me. With your mouth slightly open and your eyes glazed. It makes me feel uncomfortable.”
 
“Oh…sorry…” Harry stuttered. Another long silence passed between them.
 
“I noticed yesterday, and now in your PJ's that your wearing gloves. Why do you wear elbow length gloves everywhere? he asked randomly.
 
“Because I…I just don't like being touched.” She shifted even farther away from him.
 
“Touched?” he asked tentatively.
 
“I never have liked people touching me skin to skin. I just don't like it…” She shrugged before closing her book and putting it on the coffee table. “I think I should retire back to bed”
 
“Night Ana…” Harry said to her retreating figure.
 
*~*
 
“You're in bed late…” A larger figure whispered to the new habitant of the 6th year boys Gryffindor dorm.
 
“Neville, what are you doing awake?” Harry asked walking over to his bed. “I was talking with Ana…” Harry started before Neville interrupted.
 
“Harry, you should know better than to get involved with her. At dinner was one thing…but she is your enemies daughter…aren't you worried?” Neville looked at Harry in his bed across the room.
 
“Neville…We were just talking…” Harry once again started before being interrupted.
 
“No Harry, everyone has seen the way you look at her. I just don't want anything to happen to you Harry.” Neville whispered the last bit
 
“Go to sleep Neville…there is nothing to worry about…” Harry had his back to Neville now.
 
*~*
 
The double block of potions was the first class the entire Golden Trio had together. You could find them settled with Harry next to Ron, and Hermione next to Ana. The class was a full mix of all houses, since it was a 6th year class.
 
Harry couldn't get over the fact that he made it into advanced potions.
 
`McGonagall must have really gotten to Snape,' he though to himself.
 
The class started with Snape making his usual, “you all suck at life, and will never understand the divine art of potion making” speech of death. Half the class yawned in boredom from the speech, inwardly as it may be - no one was dumb enough to make the professor think he was boring them.
 
When he was finished he waved his wand in the general direction of the chalkboard.
 
“You are all to copy down these instructions and follow them correctly with your partner next to you. You should all be old enough now to be able to work with the person sitting next to you. If this does not work today, you may look forward to a seating arrangement like the little first years. You have 45 minutes.”
 
The room was silent except for the scratching sounds of quills on parchment, until…
 
“Whatever you did in Cosmos instead is not relevant Ana, You like the other Cosmos students last class, must do what I tell you to do instead.” Snape said almost exasperatedly.
 
Ana had raised her hand next to Hermione. Hermione looked shocked to not be the one with her own hand raised.
 
“Sir it's not that. It's your list of what we are supposed to do…it's wrong.” Ana said matter of factly.
 
The class went silent. All eyes were on the battle that was soon to ensure between Ana and the professor.
 
“Is that so?” he asked with much distain in his voice.
 
“Yes sir, if you add the Tope Root before the Salamander tail, the potion will be too acidity. It needs to have the Salamander Tail base first. Otherwise it will melt through the cauldron.
 
“Would you bet your life on that Ana?” The professor glared in her direction.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Would you bet your partner Miss Granger's life on that decision?”
 
If every eye was not on her before, it was now.
 
“Yes…I would bet the entire schools populations life on that fact.” She answered even more confidently. She crossed her arms infront of her and smiled back.
 
“You should learn not to correct me, or to suffer the consequences…10 points from Gryffindor.” He sneered at her before turning sharply around, back in the direction of his desk, before facing the chalkboard.
 
Snape glared at it once again before he waved his wand in its direction, changing the order of the ingredients.
 
As the professor turned again and started to walk to his desk Ana once again called back.
 
“Sir, that was unfair.” Ana stated.
 
“That's life.” He said uncaringly.
 
“I'll make a wager with you to get those points back.”
 
With that, once again all eyes were on her.
 
Hermione whispered something to her about not making the professor any more angry, but Ana wouldn't listen.
 
“If I am going to be learning under you, I have to know you trust my own knowledge, and my input on different ideas. I propose a game. You ask me any 10 questions about anything potion related, other than what you would need a recipe book for, and I will answer. For everyone I get right…” she thought for a moment, “For everyone I get right, you award Gryffindor 10 points.”
 
“And if you get one wrong?” He sneered back at her slightly intrigued.
 
“If I get one wrong,” she looked at everyone else in the classroom, “You can take away 100 points from Gryffindor…and give them to Slytherin.”
 
“Ana are you insane?” One of the other Gryffindor's called out.
 
“Deal excepted! What are the two common ingredients used in a normal dosed sleeping potion?”
 
“Wormwood and Asphodel.”
 
“Fine 10 points to Gryffindor. What are…” The questions went on and on until the final question.
 
“What is the Carino Potion?” Snape smirked at her.
 
She stared blankly at him. “…the w-what potion?”
 
“Car-i-no potion?” He sneered back at her sounding out each syllable.
 
She stared hard in thought at her desk.
 
Groans could be heard from around the room from other Gryffindors. Snape's smirk of victory could be seen from a mile away.
 
“If you don't know…”
 
“Give me a second!” she interrupted him.
 
She sat there for minutes randomly saying weird things to herself.
 
She looked at him and stared at him. That smirk was still on his face.
 
“Your not telling me something…something you know I should know…what could it…”She kept mumbling to herself. Then her face lighted up.
 
“You're a cheat…you can't do that!” She glared at him.
 
“I did not cheat!” the Professor said back.
 
“Yes you did, you pronounced it wrong. It's a Spanish potion. The Cariño poción to be exact. You didn't pronounce the Spanish enya over the “n”…it's an affection potion. It's the Spanish form of a toned down love potion for those that only wish for affection from someone and not love.”
 
“I guess Gryffindor won a hundred points.” Snape leered back, but for anyone that had eyes, could see that he was slightly impressed, and even glad.
 
The class continued as normal from there on out, except for the whispering of the students from earlier that class.
 
The bell rang loudly, and Snape dismissed his class.
 
“Ana, wait a moment. Come to my desk.” Snape asked calmly.
 
Ana walked with her filled bag and walked to his desk. He smirked slightly when the bottles on her belt clanked together slightly.
 
“Listen Ana, that was a very good way of making me look bad infront of the students. At Cosmos you might have been able to do that, but at Hogwarts we require some respect from our students”
 
“Sir, if you require respect, then shouldn't you be required to trust me. Dum…Professor Dumbledore told you I was good at potions…”
 
“Yes he did, But if you want to prove yourself, don't make a mockery of me in my classroom.”
 
“Sorry sir.” Ana looked at her shoes. Suddenly she couldn't look the professor in the eye.
 
“Go to your next class Ana.”
 
Ana had just started to walk away before Snape called back, “Oh, and meet me tomorrow evening in this classroom at 7:00. We are going to be working on a potion.”
 
Ana turned back and grinned. Thanking the professor, she ran out of the classroom and to Defence against the Dark Arts.
 
*~*
 
Defence against the Dark Arts was very uneventful for the longest time, before the teacher, fed up with her students not listening, suggested they work on defensive spells. She suggested they do a “wand duster off” exercise like duelling.
 
Ana partnered with Draco, much to Harry's disgust. The two of them seemed far too close and it irked him. The evil blonde was his nemesis.
 
As pairs started forming, he noticed how Draco was looking at her with that blasted smirk he always had. He stood across the room from her, just like everyone else that had formed pairs.
 
Hermione stood across from himself with a glance every now and then at Ron paired with Lavender.
 
The point of this exercise was just to warm up your magic casting after the long summer of not using magic. Simple attack and defence spells only.
 
The problem happened when Ron cast a shield charm, but it made the attack ricochet to another target, Ana.
 
She flew against the wall, her back crashing into it and a hard hit to the head. Everyone in the class stopped what they were doing and ran to her aid, but it was the Professor that broke through the circle and asked if she was alright, reaching around her waist to help her up when she didn't answer back right away.
 
Trying to lift Ana off the floor would have been more amusing, with her being like a dead weight for the professor, but when the professor jerked slightly, a part of Ana's shirt came untucked and the professors pinky only slightly touched bare skin.
 
Ana's eyes flew wide open and she practically threw the professor off of her. She fell back against the floor with a thud, eyes still wide open, and a hand to her head. The pain was excruciating, but what else was happening in her head was worse.
 
Ever so worse.
 
She curled into the fetal position against the wall, her cloak completely off and covering all her skin except her eyes and above. The professor called to her, but she wasn't listening anymore.
 
She was lost.
 
“Ana, I'm going to levitate you to Madame Pomfrey ok?” The professor was making her way back to the fallen student.
 
“NO! I don't want you or her touching me…” Ana curled tighter.
 
“Ana…your head…it's bleeding…” came a random voice in the crowd.
 
Ana passed out soon after.
 
~*~
 
“Do you think she was abused Albus, is that why she is like this… She threw me off her… My finger just barely came in contact with her… I was only trying to make her stand up so I could see if anything bad had happened…” The professor rambled on and on to the headmaster from the second he walked into the room. Poppy, was far to busy with tending to Ana's bleeding head to care.
 
“An abused student…Alas, it could be. I hope it is something else though. The foster care she is in now was a good one I thought. But alas, you never know. You could ask her, but I doubt she will tell you…” The headmaster was deep in thought.
 
~*~
 
Authors Blog: Yes I'm sorry it took so long, like I said new plot so I had to change a few things. Oh and I have AP exams too (Pre-University Exams)((I live in Canada)) those are evil. Luckily I am only going for the English one. Oh and the fact that I am studying hard for my Spanish Provincial and History 12 provincial exams. So much fun huh?
 
But I will try to post more often.
 
Oh…I am also starting to do some fan art so wait for some links.