Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and The Slytherin Stranger ❯ The Mystery Begins to Crack ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Disclaimer- I Do Not Own Harry Potter
 
 
 
 
Two owls hooted silently in a smooth rhythm to the night as they slept peacefully in their cages. Within minutes, a 14-year-old boys screaming destroyed the silence.
      Harry Potter sat straight up in his bed sweating and screaming. His heart was beating a hundred times a minute, and his mind was racing. 'What the hell was that about?' he thought as his godfather burst into the room in a nightshirt.
      "Harry, what's the matter?" his godfather, Sirius Black, asked when he caught his breath. "N-nothing," Harry said throwing the blankets off himself. "Just a nightmare." "About what?"
      "The night my parents died." Sirius turned his head quickly and looked into Harry's face. "Did you see anything else?" he asked anxiously. "It was really weird." Harry stared off into space trying to remember.
      "After Voldemort was destroyed, I saw this really bright light. Then, I saw a girl lying on the floor. God, she looked just like my mother. But Luscious Malfoy was standing over her with some kind of whip in his hand."
      Sirius' face was bright and smiling until Harry mentioned a whip. He quickly stood up, and walked over to the window. He looked up towards the moon and his jaw fell open. "Oh my god!"
      Harry walked over to the window and stood next to Sirius. Buckbeak was flying towards the burrow with two shadowy figures on his back.
      "Arthur! Molly!" Sirius yelled as he ran downstairs and outside the Burrow. Harry was confused as ever, but nonetheless followed Sirius outside.
      "Sirius, what's going on?" Mrs. Weasley asked as she stood there with her hands on her hips, pink curlers in her hair, and matching bathrobe. "Look for yourself Molly," Sirius said smiling and pointing to the sky.
      Mrs. Weasley looked up, and her face expression became shocked. "She's alive Sirius?" she asked with her mouth hanging open. Sirius nodded his head and ran up to Buckbeak as he landed.
      "What's going on?" Harry asked when Sirius helped one figure off of Buckbeak, and took another one in his arms. "You'll find out in a minute Harry," was all Mr. Weasley said before he ran back in the house, followed quickly by his wife.
      When Sirius and the 2 figures came into view, Harry's jaw dropped and his anger raged. A boy with blonde, greasy hair came into view, and locked eye contact with Harry.
    "Malfoy?!"
    "Don't start Harry," Sirius warned walking into the house with Malfoy right beside him. Harry stood where he was for a minute, and then ran into the house. "Whoa, whoa, whoa hold on a minute!" he shouted running after Malfoy and grabbing him by his shoulder.
    Malfoy swatted Harry's hand away and turned around. "What do you want Potter?" Then Harry's eyes landed on the girl in Sirius' arms. "Who's that?"
    Sirius walked into the living room, and layed the girl down on the couch. "She's your sister, Harry." Harry looked at Sirius like he was going nuts. Then, he looked at Malfoy, and then the girl on the couch. "S-sister?!"
    "Her name is Mary, Potter. I suggest you start using it." Malfoy looked at him with a scowl and sat down next to Mary. "Mary?!"
    "Harry! Just sit down and I'll explain," Sirius said stepping between the two rivals. Harry sat on the chair across the room and Malfoy stayed where he was.
    "Harry, when you were born, your parents had twins. You 2 did everything together. I swear, most of the time we thought you guys were one of the same. Except you never looked alike. I remember one time your father-"
    "Sirius! Do me a favor and stick to the subject at hand!" Malfoy interrupted as he lightly moving Mary's hair out of her eyes.
    "Right. Well, the night your parents died, your father was protecting Mary and your mother was protecting you. Your father died first, and that's when Mary deflected Voldemort's powers. That's when he moved to you and your mother. Truthfully, the only reason Lily's dead is because she attacked Voldemort and he was able to deflect it, but that's not the point.
    "When you deflected his final attack, he knew he might not make it, so he went into hiding. At the time, I was in Azkaban. If I wasn't in Azkaban, I would've taken guardianship of both of you. But unfortunately, you were put with Petunia, and Mary was given to her godmother, Malfoy's mother."
    Harry, whose mouth was gaping through the whole speech, looked at Malfoy trying to see if what Sirius said was true. When he found no reason not to believe them, he turned to Sirius.
    "Okay, why am I only finding out about this now? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?" Harry was in a rage. For 10 years of his life, he was kept from knowing he was a wizard. Now, all his friends and people he learned to love as his family couldn't even tell him about the only family he had left.
    "Potter, you couldn't know because they thought Voldemort would find you. For the last 14 years, everyone thought Mary was dead! And your complaining because you didn't know about her?!" Malfoy had lost his control. For the past four years, he watched his father burn Mary's Hgwarts letters, and then go into the basement and whip her until she couldn't move.
    "What about you Malfoy? Why didn't you ever tell me?" At this point, Harry was on his feet, ready to get into Malfoy's face.
    "And you think I didn't want to Potter! Don't you dare complain to me that you didn't know or I didn't tell you." Malfoy stood up and took a step forward. "When an owl flew through your window with a letter from Hogwarts, you didn't have to watch the caring man you called 'Daddy' burn the letter in the fireplace, then watch him drag her out of bed by her hair, and take her down to the basement to beat her."
    For the first time since Harry had known him, Malfoy was crying. He'd seen him cry when he faked an injury or wanted to get his own way, but this was different. His eyes were filled with love, sadness, anger, and hate.
    "You didn't crawl under your bed at night so you couldn't hear her screaming and begging my father to stop. You didn't get out of bed at 2 in the morning to try and nurse her back to health so your father wouldn't beat her again when his breakfast wasn't on the table. You didn't sneak food into your pockets from the table so she could eat once a day, and you definitely didn't watch your father point a wand at that bloody scar in the middle of her forehead and crush almost every bone in her body. Because I wasn't a trained wizard at the time, she's still missing the bones in her right leg. They'll never come back. Think about that before you start complaining to me that your life has been miserable!"
    Harry's shocked expression couldn't' compare to how he felt right now. His twin sister was alive and he never knew about it.
    Malfoy dried the tears that were freely falling down his face, and sat down next to Mary again. He took her hand in his and looked at her face.
    Mary had light brown hair like her mother with red highlights that came out here and there. Her skin was light and covered in cuts and bruises. From the bottom of her earlobe to the base of her jaw line, there was a deep whip gash that Sirius was trying to clean the dry blood from. The rest of her body was covered in the same state as her face, but thankfully Malfoy had bandaged up some of the deeper ones that were on her arms and legs. When Harry's eyes fell on her legs, he couldn't help but gasp and have his eyes fill with unshed tears. Her left leg was cut, bruised, and bandaged, but made known she could only count on one leg to walk around. Her right leg looked like a dirty rubber glove that someone outstretched and ran over with a herd of elephants.
    "Potter, don't worry about it. She's been through alot worse than this," Malfoy said when he saw Harry's eyes widen like Mary was already dead. "Worse?" "You should've seen her 2 weeks ago. If I hadn't come into the house when I did, my father would've given her to Voldemort."
    When Malfoy said Voldemort's name, Mary's scar that was on her forehead started to glow. She started shaking her head violently and almost knocked Malfoy off the couch.
    "Not again!" Malfoy said as he grabbed Mary's arms and held them down at her sides. "What's going on Malfoy?" Sirius asked. "Well..." he began as he struggled to keep the teenage girl still. "Voldemort's been able to take over her body since he came back to power."
    Harry and Sirius looked at him shocked, and then looked at Mary. Her shaking was starting to slow down until she layed completely still.
    All of a sudden, her eyes shot open as if she was a robot. Harry leaned closer to her, and her hand came up and wrapped around his throat.
    Sirius started prying Mary's finger's odd Harry's neck and Malfoy put his hand over her scar. To Sirius' confusion and Harry's surprise, Malfoy started talking to Mary in Parseltongue. (Calm down Mary!) (I'm trying!)
    Mary quickly let go of Harry's neck, and tried to catch her breath. "Since when do you speak parseltongue?" Harry asked rubbing his sore neck. "Since it's the one language she speaks and my father doesn't." Harry nodded his head in understanding and looked at Mary.
    Malfoy helped her sit up, and had her lean against his chest as her vision cleared up. When she looked at Sirius and Harry for the first time, she squeezed Malfoy's hand trying to hide behind him.
    "Shh, they won't hurt you Mary," Malfoy whispered into her ear putting his arm around her shoulders and forcing her to look at her brother and godfather. She tried to hide again, but Malfoy wouldn't let her move.  
    Mary started to whimper when Harry went to put a hand on her shoulder. "Mary, calm down. It's your brother, see?" he said as he reached over and moved Harry's bangs away from the lightning bolt scar on his forehead.
    "Harry?" she asked with a shaky voice leaning forward a little. Harry nodded and offered her a smile. (Draco, what's going on?)
      "Okay, no offense, but since I can't speak parseltongue, can you guys speak english?" Sirius asked getting a little annoyed. Mary finally looked at Sirius, and leaned against Malfoy again in fright.
      "Mary, calm down," Malfoy said starting to laugh. "No offense Sirius, but she really doesn't trust people." Sirius nodded and sat down next to Harry. "None taken. After what she went through, it might be awhile before she trusts anyone."
      As Mary hid beside Malfoy and looked at Sirius, she began to calm down. *He doesn't look like a death eater,* she thought.*Of course he's not!* Harry retorted. Mary looked at him with wide eyes.
      *You can hear me?* she asked *Yeah,* Harry answered, his eyes getting as big as Mary's. *Whoa this is weird.*
      "You two okay?" Malfoy asked when he saw Mary and Harry staring at each other. "Telepathy," was all Harry said without taking his eyes off of Mary.
      Sirius started to chuckle, causing Harry and Mary to look at him. "What?" Harry asked.
      "I guess old habits died hard," Sirius said. "What are you talking about?" Mary asked. "Those thick heads of yours," he explained knocking playfully on Harry's head. "Every time I'd come over your house, you two would start telepathically, and then start laughing and pointing at me. It actually got worse when you learned how to talk."
      "Glad you see this is funny," Mary said. As she started talking, the whip gash on her face reopened and leaked a small trail of blood down her neck. When Malfoy saw the blood, he let out a loud sigh, and took a tissue out of his pocket, and held it against the gash.
      "Stop talking Mary or its never going to heal." She looked at him like she was going to smack him, but she made the mistake of looking into his ocean blue eyes she loved. She closed her mouth, and leaned her head on Malfoy's shoulder. He rubbed her shoulder a little, holding her close as she started to fall asleep.
      Harry immediately saw the chemistry between his sister and his archrival. He thought about it for a minute, and decided to use his mind link to his advantage.
    *So Mary, how long have you two been living together?* Mary cracked her right eye open, and looked at her brother. *What are you talking about Harry?* *Just answer the question.* *Since mom and dad died.* *Well, then are there any other people in my family I should know about?*
    Mary's eyes widened as she looked directly at Harry and removed her head from Malfoy's shoulder. Harry gave her a mischievous smile, and the other two stopped their conversation.
    "Harry James Potter get your mind out of the gutter!" Mary shouted almost at the top of her lungs. Sirius fell off of his chair from shock, and Malfoy looked at Harry. He wrapped his arms around Mary's stomach to keep her from killing Harry, reached behind his back, and threw a pillow at Harry's head.
    "Harry, what did you say?" Sirius asked standing right next to Harry, ready to smack him in the head. "I-I just said..."
    "Who's screaming? What hap- Malfoy, what on earth are you doing here?" Ron shouted as he ran down the steps and stood in front of Malfoy. Once again, Mary hid behind Malfoy until Ron looked at her. "Who's that?"
    Mary tried to push Malfoy in front of her, but he wouldn't have it. "Mary listen," he said taking her in his arms so she was sitting in his lap. "This is Ron. He lives here too." (Can I trust him?) she asked looking at Ron. "You can trust everyone in this house, Mary," Harry told her. She nodded her head slowly, and started to calm down.
    "Is anyone going to tell me what's going on?" Ron asked as he yawned out the last word. "Ron, it's 2 in the morning. Let's all just go upstairs and go to sleep!" Sirius said standing up and heading for the stairs. Malfoy helped Mary settle into the extra room in the Weasley's house, and then followed Harry up to Ron's room to sleep. Tomorrow was going to be