Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Inside me. ❯ For what do I search? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - Harry Potter and associated characters and paraphernalia belong to J K Rowling and associates.
 
Tom smiled warmly at Perseus, and then took Hildegard's hand, bowing over it and dropping a kiss on her knuckles with a rakish grin up into her deep eyes. The lady blushed and welcomed him coquettishly into their humble manor.
 
The two boys lurked at the top of the staircase, watching the proceedings with sly fascination. Severus had bathed with unusual care, Dobby seeming to delight in aiding in preening the quiescent young Master and helping him into more unaccustomed finery. Formally dressed, and with his thick hair washed and carefully groomed one could almost call him distinguished-looking rather than ugly, so long as he refrained from sneering or snarling. He looked wistfully up at Lucius, whose robe hung perfectly from his slender frame. He was caught between adulthood and adolescence, slim adult features retaining an intoxicating hint of boyish softness.
 
`Ah my fine young men! I had wondered when I'd get to see the pair of you.' Tom caught sight of them, his handsome features brightening with gladness. He invited them down to join him with a gesture, the edges of his mouth tugged with a benevolent smile at the haste with which they acquiesced.
 
An hour or so later both older Malfoys excused themselves, citing tasks that could no longer be delayed. The three other politely bade them good night, and then settled back in their armchairs to continue conversing. `There are only another two terms to be spent under the old fool before you go out into the adult world, Lucius. Are you looking forward to greater things?'
 
Lucius' eyes positively glowed at this recognition. He sensed something else beneath the not so casual little innocent question and despite not understanding his ambitious instincts drove him to grasp what could only be a marvellous opportunity. `Yes, Hogwarts has given me a good grounding and allowed me to meet new associates, but now I yearn to be let out into the wizarding world to make my mark.'
 
`Yes, such an ambitious, talented Slytherin such as yourself would find himself at a disadvantage in the blinkered school theatre. You've got more out of the school than many of our kind, thanks to your wits. Severus too. Both of us owe you gratitude for saving his mind and magic from mugglish corruption. You will both go far, and soon I shall set you both on those paths.' The warmth that velvety baritone emanated smoothed over them, caressing the pair and drawing them into the trap of his charisma.
 
Lucius was ambitious, but a slave to familial expectations. That loyalty to blood was useful and would combine well with his above average intellect and occasionally twisted tendencies. Severus on the other hand was something of a kindred spirit. That hatred for mudbloods was far more immediate and real. Severus knew just what muggles were capable of and his treatment at the hands of the `Light' for simply existing as he did was harsher than even Tom had been exposed to. Ideologically perfect, in terms of talent - well, he'd heard from Perseus about the prodigious potions talent and the Dark magic learning… well, he was desperate to see what the boy could do. What a perfect pair.
 
`Your father tells me you are quite the dualist, Lucius. I'd be interested in seeing a practical demonstration tomorrow perhaps.' Then the older man registered faintly dramatic surprise. `Goodness! It is getting late. Severus, Perseus said I was to have the guest suite by yours. To save young Lucius the effort would you mind me following you up?'
 
They bade Lucius goodnight at the top of the stairs before heading towards the guest rooms. Severus lead the way, his gait slightly self-conscious as Tom followed him. Severus had the funny feeling Tom was staring at his bum, but he must have been imagining it. It was probably the lingering fever playing tricks on his imagination. `Here we are.' Severus opened the door for Tom and stepped back to allow him past into the room the Malfoys had appointed him. He collided with a warm solidity and arms slid about his waist, trapping him.
 
Riddle smirked at the panicked flare of Dark magic. He tilted his head to the side looking over the boy's shoulder.
 
Hot breath whispered into Severus' ear and he could almost feel Tom's lips ghosting over his skin. `What generous hosts Perseus and Hildegard are, and goodness, your generosity to a fellow guest is most commendable.' Amusement lilted flirtatiously through his tone. The arms tightened convulsively, hands firmly rubbing Severus' flanks like a handler soothing a high-strung beast. Tension twitched through the boy's slight form.
 
Cool damp kisses tickled over Severus hyper-sensitised flesh, down his neck to the juncture of his shoulder and throat, then suddenly he was free and Severus stumbled away, hurriedly retreating to his assigned room. As his door shut that smooth voice was heard to call out, `Beautiful!'
 
Sense be damned. Severus slammed the door shut behind him, shot the bolts into place and rammed several locking spells, both Light and Dark over the seasoned oak. He slid down the heavy wood, landing on his backside and hugging his knees as he panted in panicked reaction. He'd learned to tolerate touch, but that had been disquieting, trapped and defenceless in Riddle's determined grasp as he reeked of Dark magic and powerful emotion, but the gentleness and the way Tom had touched him had been…. Severus buried his face in his hands, confused.
 
Tom laughed, it was clear that even the most amorous of Slytherins had not so much as touched Severus, fearing his vicious temper and ability with hexes. This was hilarious!
 
The next day's duel was vicious and dirty, just the way Tom liked to see them. Perseus had led the other three to a large airy room on the far wing of the house set aside for that very purpose. There he had introduced all parties to the middle-aged stocky healer who'd been invited along to officiate. Setting the younger, recuperating boy against a self-possessed young man with approximately a decade's worth of Dark magical schooling over him. It should have been a foregone conclusion.
 
The three grown-ups took their chairs at the sidelines and cast shield charms to ward against the participants' overzealousness. A tea set appeared and they furnished themselves with Lapsang Suchong tea.
 
Lucius looked down at Severus; dressed in slightly too large shirt and trousers, greasy hair straggling in his face, half-crouched and clutching his wand tightly he looked like the semi-feral beast he was. Tom liked Snape, but Lucius could not afford for the whelp to get in his way. It was time to teach the brat a lesson in humility.
 
Severus was driven back by the bone-dissolving hex Lucius hurled at him, but the hastily erected shield held. They stalked about the room, blasting at one another in little flurries of spell casting, seeking out a weakness in the other. Severus' shield eventually failed under one of the assaults and his cheekbone and several ribs snapped audibly. He tucked his elbow in tight and hastily transfigured his shirt into a tight strapping about his thorax, allowing him to use his wand arm and breath without too much danger. He raised his wand once more and his face took on a familiar grimly determined cast.
 
The riposte to said attack had absolutely no finesse; it was simply a blindingly fast barrage of hexes so varied and complex they had to be parried individually or dodged. Lucius went down on one knee, the other crushed. Unfortunately, Severus had exhausted his abilities pushing to get that opening and had no strength left to follow up that attack. He could not defend against Lucius final spell, which punched through his shield and knocked him out, leaving him unconscious on the floor in his own blood. Polite applause accompanied this coup and Lucius acknowledged it with a shallow bow. He may have had a damaged knee, a mysterious spasmodic tremor down his left side, burns and bright green hair, but he had won!