Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ It's Foolish to Look Back on Yesterday ❯ "Are You Listening?" ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
At 7:05am exactly, Gina’s alarm went off, letting a loud annoying ring echo off the scarlet walls.
Her arm slowly reached over to the desk, hitting the alarm with her fist to stop the buzzing. Gina sat up and rubbed sleepiness from her eyes with the tip of her forefinger, depressed that it was morning already. She had been having a great dream, but of course had forgotten about it as soon as the alarm went off.

Her arms stretched out in front of her and then above her head, getting rid of all muscle cramps that she had in them.She blinked a few times, finally remembering what day it was. Today was the day she started her 7th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She rolled her eyes, groaning at the thought of the N.E.W.T.’s at the end of the school year, not really wanting them at all. Truly, which student did? Whoever did was a total nutcase.

Quickly she jumped out of bed, running to the bathroom with a towel in hand. She threw off her pajamas, which consisted of a tank top and boxers, and stepped into the lukewarm water.After 10 minutes of showering, Gina stepped out and wrapped a towel around her body, heading back into her room to find the clothes she was going to wear that day.Eventually she found what she was looking for, a simple black sleeveless shirt and a black and purple plaid school skirt. She slipped the clothing on and looked into the mirror as she put on socks and black sneakers, followed by adding a light line of eyeliner to the bottom of her eyes. Her hand picked up a brush and began brushing out her long brown hair, which was still a bit wet from the shower. Her lips curved into a small smile as she decided to wear her hair down once it was detangled and straight.

She walked over to the other side of the room, stopping at the full-length mirror behind her bedroom door and posed slightly, trying to see if she looked okay. She had never been one to care for fashion, but she had to agree that she had a nice choice of what to wear, even if she hated styles. She just did not want to look horrible, that is all.Her eyes closed for a second as she rubbed the last bit of drowsiness from her system. She had a long day ahead of her; she could not afford being the least bit tired. She opened her eyes to face the mirror again, smiling at her reflection. Her grayish blue eyes accented perfectly with the light eyeliner, she was lucky that she did not need a lot of makeup to look decent.


She nodded, satisfied with how she looked. She walked swiftly over to her dresser and set her school trunk onto her bed, packing random clothing and accessories into it. She did not bother with organizing everything; it would just get unpacked once she got to Hogwarts. She sighed when everything was in her case, zipping it up with a bit of difficulty. She frowned, knowing she filled the case up too much. Not much else she could do, she did not want to drag another trunk just for a few things.She put her hair to lay on one shoulder as she brought the trunk to the floor, half pulling and half pushing it out the door and down the long winding stairs. Honestly, why they needed that long of stairs she had yet to figure out, it was only a hassle to walk up and down.

“Good morning!” Gina called once she finally reached the foot of the stairs and slipped her wand into her skirt pocket. She left the trunk at the bottom and walked a few feet into the large dining room, finding her family already sitting at the table eating breakfast.Her eyes lit up as she grinned, food was the thing she looked forward to most after waking up.As she headed over to an empty chair, she hugged both of her parents and bent to sit down. Upon doing so, a loud obnoxious noise came from beneath her. She groaned, rolling her eyes as her 11-year-old brother, Kyle, howled with laughter over his stupid prank. One of her hands moved to hit him upside the head and the other to reach for some toast, leaving a mental note to make his life hell at school.

She put on another smile and looked at her parents, “Nice day,” she said innocently, forcing huge pieces of toast into her mouth. That is right, not even two minutes at the table and she was already chowing down on anything edible. Her parents simply nodded their heads, not being much of the talking type.

Her mother, Hannah, was the first to speak. “Be sure to watch out for Kyle this year,” she stated as she took a sip of her coffee. She continued, talking about how Kyle was fragile and how he needed looking after.Gina however, had lost interest soon after the first sentence and began zoning out as she devoured her toast. She sighed once it was all gone, her mother and her had had this conversation a million times before. Help Kyle with this, watch out for Kyle, and write if anything happens to Kyle. It seriously got old. That is right, her brother was beginning school this year at Hogwarts, and Gina still did not know what the big deal was.
“Gina,” her mother finally said in between her speech, “Are you listening?” she had stopped rambling and had obviously noted that her daughter was not paying attention to her.Gina nodded furiously, “Yes, I’m listening,” she said quickly, “Watch out for Kyle, and make sure nothing happens to him,” she muttered out of sheer memory.

In reality, Kyle had absolutely no reason to worry. He was a pureblood, meaning that his whole family before him had been of the magic kind. In addition, his family was one of those that abhorred muggles. So therefore, because he is supposed to hate muggles and be better than everyone else, the sorting hat is going to put him into Slytherin, like all of his family before him.Gina was finished with her breakfast soon, mainly because she had attacked it so quickly. She put her dishes into the sink as Kyle followed suit. She went back to where her parents sat and hugged them both again, saying good-bye. They were too busy to see them off on the train to school, and she was fine with that. She ran to the window and looked out of it, searching for her pet fennec fox.

“Roxy, where are you?” she yelled as she found no trace of her otherwise. She smiled when she saw the fox running to the house. “Roxy, next time you go out hunting for the night, let me know,” she laughed and picked up the animal as well as the cage that was next to it. She put Roxy into the cage and shut it, “Sorry, you can come out on the train,” she smiled at her friend and walked back to the stairs to pick up her trunk.
Soon their butler, Samuel, arrived at the front door and opened it for Gina.Gina smiled at him and handed him her trunk, Kyle giving his soon after. Samuel was the one who drove the both of them to the train station.Once they were in the car, Gina was finally getting excited about the approaching school year. It had just hit her that this was their final year, and she had to make the best of it, even if Kyle was going to be at school too.Within a half hour, the limo arrived at the station and Samuel went to the far back of the car to retrieve the luggage, afterwards handing Gina her cage and trunk.

Gina thanked the butler and took off, running through the wall between platforms 9 and 10, soon seeing the Hogwarts Express. She sighed in relief, thankful to be back in the company of people her age.“Gina!”Gina turned around, hearing her name called from the midst of students around the station.She looked on either side of her, trying to find where the calling came from. She blinked a few times as a hug came tightly from behind.She smiled and turned, knowing whom it was already.

“Cali, Lei!” Gina exclaimed upon seeing her friends she had known since the 2nd year.Cali was rather pretty girl. Pure Italian, having long dark brown hair and piercing brown eyes that looked as if they never ended, and of course the perfect tan.
Lei on the other hand, was from a Chinese heritage. She had ebony shoulder-length hair that was usually back in low pigtails and brown eyes that were almost as dark as her hair color, fitting in with her slightly pale skin.

They were both purebloods and in Slytherin as Gina was, so they had gotten along almost instantly when they finally met up.After a few words of catching up, the three of them decided to head to the train, carrying their luggage behind them.Somehow, the three found an empty compartment and settled down, Cali and Lei on one side, facing Gina who was on the opposite end.

“So how have you been?” Lei was the one who started the conversation once the trunks were off to the side. Lei had been in contact with Cali as usual, but not in much contact with Gina. Gina was always far too busy to even consider hanging out with people.Gina shrugged, “I’ve been pretty great, actually. Summer lasted too long, I think. I wanted school to start ages ago,” she muttered as she let Roxy out of her cage, brushing the fox’s light brown fur with her hand.

Cali nodded and smiled, “I agree, but I was having fun during my summer. I went back home and stayed at a beach house. Made a lot of guy friends,” she said, smirking at the other two.Lei stared at Cali in disbelief, “I don’t know how you do it, Cali. You always seem to get boys to go after you with a simple glance their way. No fair,” she stated, pouting as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Gina simply laughed; this was typical conversation with those two. Lei was always jealous of Cali’s skill of getting a boyfriend so easily. Even if she was supposed to be conversing with the two girls, she could not help but let her mind wander elsewhere.Her mind drifted off to her best friend, someone she could not wait to see. A smile appeared on her face as she thought about him, wondering if he had changed over the summer.Lei had a huge crush on him, and it was humorous. Just because he was an amazingly attractive sweet talker, a good portion of the school wanted him."You've gotten taller," Lei pointed out suddenly, nodding slightly.

Gina snapped out of her thoughts as she realized that Lei was talking to her, “I see you lost the glasses, huh?” she added to her, “You look nice with or without them, really. Now you can probably catch Draco, since you’ve been crushing on him since the 3rd year," she finished, smirking at her friend.Lei instantly blushed, it was true that she had liked the same guy all this time, "At least I have my heart set on someone, unlike some people..." she said the last part rather louder than the rest of her sentence.

This time Cali interrupted, "Oh, Gina's not going to be single for long, I can guarantee that much."Gina was blushed, "What the hell are you two talking about?" she asked, confused.
Lei and Cali both cracked up. Cali was the first to speak, “Don’t tell us you haven’t noticed!” when Gina shook her head, Cali sighed. “American’s are oblivious to everything, aren’t they,” she rolled her eyes and continued, “You got plenty of glances when we were outside the train,” she added. “Maybe because you finally filled out in all the right places, about time too,” she finished, pointing from the Gina’s head down to her chest.

Gina’s face turned a greater shade of pink, “Cali! Like that matters," she said defensively, her arms folding across her chest, "I don’t have any time for guys, the end of the year tests are hard enough," she added, sighing slightly.

Then the train started up, heading quickly towards the direction of Hogwarts.