Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Melody of Oblivion ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Melody of Oblivion
By Kitsune Yarisha
 
A/N: It's been four years since the defeat of the Dark Lord, and the man-who-lived has just woken from a long coma. He can remember everything aside from some minor people. He knows he's the one who defeated Voldemort but the last thing he can remember from the night of his victory puzzles him. A pale-skinned, blonde haired teenage male running towards him. Who is he? H/D
 
 
Prologue: Awakening
 
“A man is not always asleep when his eyes are shut.” - Unlisted
 
--
 
Hermione Granger, a now plump and good-natured witch, sat down slowly in the visitor's chair. She rubbed her aching stomach for a moment before brushing her curly brown bangs out of her face to see her friend.
 
For a long time, four years exactly, he had been in a comatose.
 
He was physically fine of course. His body had grown and he was well taken care of. The doctors, each of them, had promised her that he would soon awaken.
 
She ran a hand over her large, swollen stomach and idly wondered what her dear friend had been dreaming of for the last four years, if he had dreamt at all.
 
She shrugged off the curiosity and began to speak to the dark haired boy on the bed.
 
--
 
It started again.
 
The mumbling of almost coherent words in the back of Harry's mind.
 
Out of the curiosity, he pulled the words closer to his mind and listened, as he always did.
 
“Harry?” A familiar voice called to him. His physical body twitched mildly in response, aching to move. He ignored it and waited for the comforting voice to continue. “Oh, Harry! It's your twenty-first birthday today. Some people have already brought you gifts.” It paused.
 
Harry strained to hear anything from the sudden silence. A sob made it into his hearing, startling him slightly. A door creaked open, from his physical left, and a gasp sounded out.
 
“Oh, Ron!” It shrieked, “I can't take this anymore. All I can think of is a corpse!” His right hand twitched in surprise at Ron's name.
 
“Hermione, love! It's okay. He's fine.” The second voice replied evenly.
 
Despite his want to stay unnoticed, his eyes fluttered and his body jerked into an upright position. He gasped as he brought his hands to his face, shaking his head wildly. His body shook violently.
 
“Harry!” He heard Ron shout from next to his bed.
 
No, not his bed. He wasn't at home.
 
Hermione swallowed audibly and gasped out, “Oh, Harry, are you really awake?”
 
Tears leaked from his emerald colored eyes. He wiped his tears from his face as best as he could. He looked up and stared at them. His mouth worked frantically but only a small rasping noise came from his throat.
 
Hermione wailed, “He's mute!”
 
Ron shot her a sorrowful look. Harry looked up at Ron, who had changed so much. His best friend looked so much older and his eyes held a searching look; a look only a teacher or father might have.
 
Hermione had changed also; her rounded belly made it obvious she was pregnant. As his mind protested, he pulled forward the memory of her visit when she announced it. He tried to speak once more. He pleaded for his voice to come out, if not for him then for Hermione.
 
“H…ey, Ro…n.” The room went dead silent. He continued slowly, “H…I, Her…mi…on…e.”
 
Her eyes glittered and she immediately staggered up out of the chair and hugged him.
 
He groaned under her weight.
 
She pulled back and perched on the edge of the bed. “Harry, how do you feel?” She asked, wiping her eyes on the back of her red sleeve.
 
He smiled and shrugged, “I do…n't k…now.”
 
“That's quite alright, mate!” Ron piped in.
 
“Wha…t happe…ned?”
 
“The Dark Lord happened. A spell he used, or so they say, put you into a kind of coma. Don't know what they called it though,” Ron announced while he scratched his head; his face held a sheepish expression.
 
“Oh, honestly, Ron!” Hermione turned to Harry with the same look she had during study hours at the library. He grinned despite himself.
 
“The doctors said that the last spell…Voldemort…hit you with was slightly off because of the killing curse. It put you're body into shock and a state of semi comatose,” she explained briefly, looking quite pleased with herself.
 
He sat there for a moment, mouth suddenly dry. “H…ow long?” He questioned quietly.
 
Ron looked dejected as Hermione whispered, “four years today, Harry.”
 
He flinched and adverted his eyes, recalling her say he was now twenty-one.
 
“Happy four additional birthdays,” Ron tried humorlessly.
 
“Do you remember everything, Harry?” Hermione asked, changing the subject completely.
 
He responded gratefully, “I do. I mean, other than a few names, of course.” He gasped in surprise and Hermione smiled broadly.
 
“Hey, you're voice is back, mate!” Ron laughed out, patting Harry's shoulder gently.
 
Harry smiled at both of them.
 
“Well, Harry, we better go tell your doctor you're awake since we're already kept it a secret for twenty-three minutes and fifteen seconds.”
 
“It's a record!” Ron exclaimed as Hermione finished cheerfully, slowly easing herself from the edge of the bed.
 
“Good-bye!” His friends chimed together as they strolled out of the hospital room.
 
He stared at the door for a moment before pulling his legs to his chest. Harry shut his eyes tightly and cried.
 
“You're crying for all your dead friends, I suppose?”
 
He looked up and stared at what he assumed was the doctor standing just out of his range of vision. Harry, through tears and bad eyesight, could almost make out black hair and sharp features.
 
“It's hard to see me, isn't it, Potter? I could correct your vision if you wish it.” The sharp, strangely familiar voice offered.
 
Harry nodded slightly in assent, muttering, “Please.”
 
The man strode forward as Harry closed his eyes. After a couple of taps on his eyelids and a muttered vision correction spell, the doctor moved back and order the patient to open his eyes.
 
Harry obeyed and opened his eyes.
 
Shining emerald green eyes met dull coal black eyes with a gasp. “Professor Snape!”
 
Snape grinned evilly and sat down. “If I would've been a snake, Potter, I would have bitten you,” his doctor sneered half-heartedly.
 
“Personally, Doctor, I'm surprised you aren't.”
 
“If we were still in Hogwarts that would've been fifteen points from Gryffindor for a cheeky retort. Take your potions, Potter,” he ordered as he pressed two half-filled goblets into Harry's hands.
 
“You didn't poison them did you?”
 
“Of course not.”
 
“I don't believe you.”
 
“Too bad, Potter. Their the only way for you to get well again.”
 
Harry eyed the cups suspiciously, before downing both and grimacing at the horrible taste. He gave Snape a withering look.
 
The ex-professor for his part didn't look the least bit perturbed. “The worse the taste of a potion, the better the effect of it.”
 
Harry gave him a completely critical look as if to say “you're kidding, right?”
 
Snape shrugged in response, and grinned. After a moment of studying Harry's extremely bright emerald eyes, he muttered, “I never really did quite figure out why you preferred to wear you're glasses over a correction spell.” It was more to himself than to Harry.
 
Harry knew it was a statement that didn't require an answer but answered anyway. “I though it was obvious. The glasses and scar were my trademarks!”
 
“Oh, just as Draco's were his white hair and silver gray eyes?”
 
“Dra…co?” The name rolled pleasantly off his tongue, as if it were very familiar with it. “Who's that?” Harry asked looking overly puzzled at the name and the way he said it.
 
Snape's face fell and his expression darkened. For a moment he said absolutely nothing, letting the awkward silence prevail on.
 
Finally, he said, “Tell me everything you remember, Potter.”
 
 
To be continued.
 
A/N: Snape, for this story, has retired from Hogwarts and become a very able wizard doctor thanks to his potions skills.
 
Harry for his part can remember everything other than (as was stated) certain people. Obviously among these very special and forgotten people is Draco Malfoy! As for Harry, you won't get to know what he remembers for a while (a chapter or two?).
 
I hope you are enjoying the story so far and looking forward to the next chapter.