Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Serpent and the Badger ❯ The Reckless Serpent ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: Greetings all, been a while since any of us submitted anything. Well I Kitsune am happy to bring to you a Harry Potter role play done with a wonderful friend of mine and myself. The role play had a good story too it, so I hope you all enjoy it. As a side note, Cedric is the friend, and I am the Draco.

If I receive a good amount of reviews I might give more than the two or three chapters that this role play was broken in to, based on our endings and beginnings. The format is also turn based naturally, so I the format will begin with his post, and my response, and so on, and so forth. There are parts within many of the posts that restate dialogue from the previous post, this should keep you aware of the characters actions throughout the rp, to make the format fuller and more responsive than just a characters reaction to the end of a post. If that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I hope you like it.

(Disclaimer: All characters are intellectual property of J.K. Rowling.)

Chapter: The Reckless Snake

Cedric: Soaked and freezing cold. Soggy and far from warm. Quidditch robes plastered against skin. The practice had gone on for what seemed like ages in the torrential downpours outside. Through rain or shine the Hufflepuff team was out at their designated time practicing. And unfortunately for them, March was a time known for its cold blustery winds and rain.

A dense fog had set in on the Hogwarts grounds wrapping itself around the castle and surrounding structures in an opaque sheet of white. Students huddled together as they walked the grounds heading back into the castle from their last classes. For some they had quite the distance to walk and when finally reaching the main castle, they found themselves drenched with water. Cedric’s team had played long into the drizzly rain for some time. It wasn’t until the storm had intensified and it had become obviously dangerous for them to fly in it, that the team captain called them down and cancelled the remainder of the practice. They had all retired to the locker room to warm up.

Mugs of hot chocolate lay in wait for them as they all entered into the room lined from wall to wall with lockers. Hufflepuff themed banners lay draped against the walls in an effort to show the school’s support for them all. Moving through the crowd, Cedric grabbed a towel and tossed it on his head as he reached for a mug of hot chocolate and sat down on one of the benches for a few minutes.

Yawn. Stretch.

Finished with his drink, he tossed his towel in the laundry pile and collected his things wishing nothing more than a quiet afternoon either in the library finishing up a paper or back in the common room.

The cool air caused a shiver to run through him as he walked across the grounds towards the castle. Once inside, the sickening warmth of the building greeted him. Already he could feel himself growing warm.

Moving through the corridors he made his way towards the library.

Draco: A mesh of black clouds and white fog shrouded the heavens beyond the safety of the warm castle, streaks of lightning shielded within the thick white mass so well that you'd never have guessed it was indeed that terrible until the loud rumbles sounded. The bleak conditions seemed to dishearten many of the students, never finding much of anything to do on the days of rain storms or bad blizzards. One such student was reminded of this.

Draco Malfoy had been sitting quietly for the last half hour waiting for the storm to end. And for the past half hour he had been met with the most obnoxious of noises coming from the wailing winds managing to slip themselves through cracks in windows and whistle in his ear. The flesh around his earlobe tingled as the noise seemed to become louder and louder, grating down his nerves to miniscule strings that threatened to break at any second.

His gaze had determinedly been focused at the wall across from the Slytherin Table, thinking maliciously of all the events of the past few weeks as two new schools joined them for a once in a lifetime tournament where the winner would be granted eternal glory. To the greedy Ice Prince's dismay, only 17 year old wizards were able to enter.

So far, the names hadn't been called, which gave him very little comfort, as some part of him deep, deep down, was hoping desperately that the cup would spit out his name anyway. Anything to put a scowl on Saint Potter's and announce himself as Harry's better.

Harry Potter, the other subject matter that was wittling away his nerves to fine lines-

"AAAAAHG!!!" Draco's hands began to hurt as the pale flesh slammed against Slytherin's wooden table top. His palms throbbed painfully following the action, increasing the headache that had accumulated below each temple from the persistent whistling winds. Several first years stopped on their way past the Great Hall's sizely doors to stare, but dropped their gazes with the icy glance shot towards them from the older boy.

A sort of smug look crept across Draco's lips as the girls ran off, their fearful faces causing the pain to slip away from him momentarily. But just as soon as it had gone, the menacing throbbing in both his hands and his temples returned, taking the small bit of satisfaction from his being.

In an effort to try and forget his annoyance, Draco had slowly stood up, stepping cautiously over the wooden bench, and made his way out of the dreary Great Hall and along the corridor that would lead to the grounds. He was just thinking about Slytherin's practice being canceled, and further dreading the day when the most unlikely of people should be walking in his line of vision...

A Hufflepuff much older than him was walking along the corridor, heading to the steps leading to the various places on the upper floors of the castle. The pain in his head was diminishing slowly now, his amusement rising causing his pale lean cheeks to flush pink, and the trademark sneer to grace his lips.

"You know, one usually takes off ones clothes before taking a bath," Draco remarked snidely, noting the lingering wetness on Cedric's robes and hair.


Cedric: Small puddles formed quickly from Cedric’s steps as he wandered through the corridor heading for the library still. The hallway was quiet for the time of day and he figured that many, if not all, the students were held up in their common rooms entertaining one another with games of wizards chess and exploding snap. He doubted the library would be busy as many would rather sit and rot of boredom then attempt to do homework or something constructive.

A hand rose up and brushed against his forehead as he wiped away a cold drop of water that had started deep in his hair line and trickled down to his forehead. The sensation of it running caused a shiver to run through him and he paused for just a moment. Brushing a few curls of darker brown hair out of his eyes he picked up his walking again.

His mind wandered off the weather and all and bounced back to the main event this year. Not graduation. No the Triwizard tournament. Something that had set off a widespread anxiety attack through the school, followed by depression when the Ministry announced that nobody under the age of seventeen could enter for a chance to compete. Hufflepuff house had been driving him crazy day in and day out to enter. Everyday somebody new was asking him what he thought and probing him on his interest in joining. Perhaps he would enter. He was certainly old enough. And many thought he could handle the challenges. But he didn’t know.

He had a bad feeling about all of it.

Furrowing his brow at his unusually negative thoughts, he cleared his throat. A voice carried through the corridor a short way and Cedric paused looking to the side to find Draco Malfoy. No there had never been a formal introduction, but he was well aware of who the other was that was approaching.

"You know, one usually takes off ones clothes before taking a bath,"

“Perhaps,” he commented casually glancing down at himself. He extended his arms a little bit admiring the small drops of water that were pooling at the ends of his sleeves and dripping to the floor.

“But that is for a bath. I just had one hell of a shower.”


Draco: “Perhaps, but that is for a bath. I just had one hell of a shower.”

The hereditary trait that was Draco Malfoy's sneer ebbed from his features at the comment, suddenly not feeling quite as cool and amused when he had first seen Cedric. A scowl instead was substituted, his blonde brow furrowing greatly causing his vision to blur with the depth of his glare. Though his appearance carried every intention of dislike towards the older companion, it was more along the lines of how relaxed he appeared. Certainly the conditions had been ghastly, but there was nothing to relieve stress like flying on a broomstick, freedom set beneath you to carry you as high into the sky as could be handled. A feeling he admired above all others.

To Draco's dismay and further jealousy the Slytherin team Captain, who had previously scheduled a practice after the Hufflepuff’s, had walked up to him butch and almost happy to inform the young seeker that practice would be cancelled that day. Thus, for the first time, Draco found himself sitting alone and brooding by himself in the Great Hall.

The past wasn't what mattered; the future was all that Draco could care about currently, stepping closer to the tall handsome Hufflepuff, trying to lose his pain in grief through tormenting someone. Gaining some fire back into his cold gray ices, a sneer rode onto his lips as his tongue began to work itself to form words, a crisp but light tone attached to it.

"My God, that was awfully quick. Tell me, did you have that rehearsed?"


Cedric: Cedric stood by quietly watching the quick change in expression on the other. Quick to change to something resembling shock. Shock perhaps that another would speak back to him in such a tone. And then it faded back to what was considered normal for the blonde. But for a moment Cedric was left interested. Draco’s response to his words wasn’t as quick as he expected.

"My God, that was awfully quick. Tell me, did you have that rehearsed?"

A warm laughed escaped him as a smile spread over his features and he shook his head brushing more wet hair from his eyes and face. “If that’s what it’ll take to get you to sleep at night Draco then I suppose I could let you think that.” He rolled his shoulders into a shrug stepping to the side just a little leaving behind small puddles of water from where it had run down and off of him.

“But at some point, you’ll find yourself wondering if I really did rehearse,” he said slipping off his cloak now in front of the younger wizard, “or if I’m as witty as you’re afraid to believe.” He began rolling it up in his hands forcing water from it.

“I’ll let you make the choice.”


Draco: Draco’s common smartass demeanor almost fell overboard at the smile, funny how charming the other could be with a simple laugh and upturning of his lips. He felt more shocked that he had never really met Cedric before over the quick wit he carried. Two things he had never identified Hufflepuff house with before.

His pale lips were plastered into their trademark smirk, some part of his being thinking that he may very well die with the same expression, or at least have his mouth fixed like that forever. Whatever the case, it was still there, still a natural mask pasted on for all to see as he watched Cedric casually.

Surprising how vain the other boy was, a quality he found rather impressive in and of itself. Cedric seemed to command said virtue or sin, effortlessly, shaking his head and casting cool droplets of water into the air. He had guessed himself the only one capable of the majesty that was vanity. Proven wrong again.

“If that’s what it’ll take to get you to sleep at night Draco then I suppose I could let you think that.”

It was Draco's turn to laugh, and this time he definitely was not a victim of surprise or his own bad thoughts.

"I bet you'd like that wouldn't you Diggory?" He responded without hesitation, catching on quickly and using the poor boys actions against him, his voice continuing to drag out into the hall, "Thinking you'd be so special to play into my thoughts. You're even stripping for the cause..."

Cool pools of silver cascaded over the body before him in mock interest, as though sizing him up. He was thoroughly enjoying himself now; every bit of him excited more on the play of words than the dreary days events. It was a rare find, to discover someone who could match his wit, and keep him entertained with an effortless flick of the tongue. More interesting was that he managed to remember the name of someone he had before now, considered meaningless, only by the idiot swooners who tried their very best to attract Cedric's attentions in the hall and praise him to join a certain TriWizard Cup did he actually know the name. Sad when all your information comes at you from the screams of fan girls.

With Draco's final sweep of his gaze over Cedric's soggy clothes, he stationed the sharp eyes on the cloak as it was rung out. True he was being a bit arrogant, full of himself that someone may very well be older, of the same sex, and still think they'd want him. But it was Draco, and no handsome Hufflepuff could change that.


Cedric: Cedric remained as he was standing in the corridor. The water that had been pulled against his skin from his clothes had gone from cold to warm now from touching him. The shivers that had been running rampant through him from time to time had now ended leaving him feeling damper than anything. Except for the cloak that he had finally taken off of himself and begun to ring out.

"I bet you'd like that wouldn't you Diggory?" He responded without hesitation, catching on quickly and using the poor boys actions against him, his voice continuing to drag out into the hall, "Thinking you'd be so special to play into my thoughts. You're even stripping for the cause..."

“Oh now come on,” he said shaking his head. A smile was evident on his features as he laughed at the other’s words. “You’ve misjudged me Draco.” He shook his cloak out, letting it unroll back into its normal shape. Holding it with one hand, he pulled his wand out with his other looking at the cloak instead of the blonde while he spoke. “A Slytherin dreaming about a Hufflepuff seems more like a nightmare than a dream.” His gaze moved back to Draco for a moment, a wry smile evident now, before he looked back to the cloak and touched his wand to it casting a drying spell.

“Not that I expect you’d ever go around announcing that you have had such dreams anyway Draco.” The comment itself wasn’t bad. Any who walked by would hear it would certainly miss the underlying meaning of it all given the history of the rest of their conversation. However the most striking thing would be that Cedric had never once called the other Malfoy as he commanded from everyone else.

There was burst of loud conversation as a group of people approached and paused, surrounding themselves around Cedric for a few moments worth of excited chatter before they all continued on their way leaving him behind shaking his head. At some point during the conversation, the TriWizard Cup was mentioned again and there was an awkwardly long pause as he hesitated in answering what he was going to do.

He stayed silent as he watched them go and turned his gaze back to the other. “Anyway I have some place to go and you’re distracting me from getting me there Draco. Is there something you need?”


Draco: Draco remained rather silent while Cedric spoke, listening to the accent slip past his lips and greet his ears in an odd friendly manner. His response wasn't what he'd have guessed, he'd assumed that Cedric would possibly look disgusted and scoff openly at the idea, saying that the young Slytherin was full of himself. To his greatest bewilderment, he played it off once again with a charming smile and laugh. It was as though being nice was a second nature, something that Draco obviously did not possess.

Not sure entirely what to say as the chattering group hung by mentioning the Tournament then walked away just as loud, there was that awkward pause in Cedric's movements which seemed to carry over to Draco. Suddenly he felt left out, his insides barren of any healthy emotions as the groups wake stripped him of the satisfaction the platinum blonde had so desperately needed. An expression between a pout and a scowl surfaced on his face, the cool gray irises of his eyes becoming dull and dark, his head dropping down leading several slicked back strands of translucent blonde to fall into his eyes creating a disheveled and dark appearance. Shadows formed below his eyes with the little light created by the candles ling the walls, the strands sending faded black lines across his cheeks like sinister black tears that had recently been shed and dried.

He just couldn't keep himself happy. He just couldn't keep himself from glaring daggers into Cedric either, hoping with every fiber of his being that the dread that swallowed him, would take Diggory as well and kill him with its intensity.

To no avail. He was talking, and in worse news seemed to be in perfect health.

“Anyway I have some place to go and you’re distracting me from getting me there Draco. Is there something you need?”

"Preparing to enter that stupid tournament then Diggory?" There was a sudden sharp bite to his tone, cold with a hint of jealousy. As though his innards were turning inside out to give birth to a demon, a demon that found its hateful gaze penetrating the sweet handsome face of the boy across the hall from it. A demon that had devoured the flighty tone and amused essence that he had gained from the earlier points of conversation. Every bad thought came flooding back to him, and all he could think of now was to prevent Cedric from leaving; keep him there talking, stop him from doing what he needed until any entertainment the dark haired boy managed to shed light on him, would return.

'Redeem my happiness Diggory..." he thought to himself bitterly,’ redeem my happiness and I'll let you leave.'


Cedric: It was completely evident that the blonde didn’t care for having his presence ignored or have someone else have the attention of the moment. And perhaps it would have been funny, even charming, if it weren’t for the alarming look upon the others face. Cedric didn’t have to wonder what the other was thinking because it was written all over his face for all to see. He was an open book at that moment and he wad baring all whether he knew it or not.

"Preparing to enter that stupid tournament then Diggory?"

Cedric furrowed his brow at the other watching him for a moment. It wasn’t as if he hadn’t had the question posed to him countless times at this point over the last week. In truth he really didn’t know what he wanted to do. He knew of quite a few Hogwarts students who were entering the competition that he considered far better off at magic than him. But there were quite a few pressuring him to toss his name in anyway.

“I don’t know Draco,” he said rolling his shoulders into a shrug. “I imagine that enough have joined already. And I’m sure that many are more than qualified to represent the school for the competition.” He shrugged again (something he’d been doing quite a bit lately).

He glanced around for a second before looking back to the other whose mood had changed rather quickly to something that wasn’t as amusing to be around. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a neatly folded slip of parchment. He held it up for the other to see before he unfolded it. He grabbed his wand and touched it to the paper, his signature flashing for a moment on the paper in gold before it went to the color of indigo on the paper.

“One more day to decide,” he said studying the paper thoughtfully for a moment. “One more day.” Wetting his lips, he tucked his wand away and refolded the paper, shoving it back into the pocket that he had removed it from. “We’ll see what happens,” he commented.

He looked up at Draco focusing his attention on him once more. “So do you plan on keeping me here all day as your personal entertainment?” he asked.


Draco: Through most of Cedric's actions and small talk Draco simply stood there, his fists clenching and unclenching to circulate the blood they were deprived of so well as it was all rushing into Draco's face. The usual pale pointed head was flushed a dark shade of pink with his exhilaration of hate and anger, the dark brooding expression proving relentless to leave its post. His jaw felt like it was hammered shut from clenching it so tight, the power and force put into silencing himself only increasing with the role of parchment being brought forth flashing a signature that could very well soon be turned permanent to be placed in the Goblet.

“So do you plan on keeping me here all day as your personal entertainment?”

Draco's jaw unclenched a little, a dark smirk riding on his lips as several ideas surfaced with the others words. Managing after a few short breaths and one long one, his body shook and a restorative calm washed over him, but just a small one.

"I will keep you as long as it takes, Diggory," he answered matter-of-factly, the dark sneer persisting ever more mockingly.


Cedric: "I will keep you as long as it takes, Diggory,"

Cedric sighed, his curious gaze moving from the other for a moment after a random burst of several explosions echoed down the hallway. It was following about five of them that a familiar cackle came screeching down the hallway announcing the arrival of Peeves. Cedric rolled his eyes waiting with baited breath in hopes that the poltergeist wouldn’t choose to come flying down the corridor they were in. He was positive that they wouldn’t be ignored. Just when he thought they were home free-

“Ooooh well would you lookie here?” came that nasally voice. Cedric cringed tilting his head slightly to look up at the ghostly apparition zooming in swirls above the two of them. “It’s the ickle ferret and itty Diggory.”

Cedric sighed crossing his arms across his chest at the unusually rotund spirit. There was just something about him and his shape that reminded Cedric of a basketball. Perhaps the way he bounced from room to room.

“What now Peeves?” he asked in an indifferent tone. The poltergeist zoomed down, cackling around them causing Cedric to take a step closer to Draco to avoid having the spirit go through him. It was such an unsettling feeling.

“Nuffin’ wittle Ceddy,” the poltergeist said in a pouty tone coming to a stop between the two of them. Draco was only visible through the ghost at this point.

“Well the move on,” he commented holding the ghost’s beady-eyed gaze.

“Aww…but I don’t want to,” it whined spinning between them and then shooting up to the ceiling. There was a loud bellowing yell that resonated through the room and Peeves paused for a moment, his dark eyes going wide.

“Time to go!” he shouted dashing off through the wall to his left. It was only seconds later that the Bloody Baron came through calling for the poltergeist.

Looking back to Draco, Cedric paused for moment thinking back to what the other had said before Peeves had interrupted. His words were curious and could easily be taken on several different levels.

“I see this,” he said uncrossing his arms. “But I have to ask, what exactly it is you’re waiting on. And also remind you, that you can't make me stay anywhere."


Draco: In his high tension every muscle was drawn taught, every sense heightened and aware of the surroundings, listening for any more bustling groups of people that may drop in on their conversation. Unfortunately he had not anticipated the fire crackers exploding behind him, the sound echoing in his head with a deep rumble as though their had gone off right next to his ear. Instantly he jumped, his eyes wide and body straight, his slender neck craning from side to side wildly trying to figure out what had happened. Cedric seemed rather calm, being at a distance and far more relaxed the sounds had less shock and effect on him, and Draco hated him even more for it.

Straightening out his emotions that seemed to be running free like a troop of wild horses, he watched the squat little man zoom above their heads in loop-the-loops looking like a rather oversized balloon that had been let loose. The idea seemed for a moment to be crossing Cedric's mind as Draco peered over at him while the poltergeist bounced around speaking.

“Ooooh well would you lookie here?” came that nasally voice. “It’s the ickle ferret and itty Diggory.”

“What now Peeves?” he asked in an indifferent tone. The poltergeist zoomed down, cackling around them causing Cedric to take a step closer to Draco to avoid having the spirit go through him.


The verbal exchange between the two seemed interesting; it was quite possibly the most patient anyone had ever been with Peeves. Though his annoyance with the apparition was very apparent in all cases. In the mean time, Cedric was forced to move in closer to Draco, and Draco forced in the same manner to close in a few paces until just a few measly feet were between them. The blonde however was distracted from this by the on going high pitched nasal bound voice that was Peeves.

“Nuffin’ wittle Ceddy,” the poltergeist said in a pouty tone coming to a stop between the two of them.

“Well then move on,” he commented holding the ghost’s beady-eyed gaze

Draco needn't step back, the portly ghost just small enough to fit in the close proximity of the two bodies.

“Aww…but I don’t want to,” it whined spinning between them and then shooting up to the ceiling.

“Time to go!”

Draco found a candle of amusement in his tunnel of dark thoughts and twisting emotions as Peeves bolted with the thunderous bellow coming from the Bloody Baron close in pursuit. If there was anything all the other houses had to thank Slytherin for, it was definitely the Bloody Baron, the only being in the entire school capable of controlling Peeves.

But as they passed the wails of Peeves and the grunts of the Bloody Baron subsided down the hallway, the only breathing creatures left were Cedric and Draco, and thus his silver gaze had no choice but to fall upon the handsome face whose lips were forming words...

“I see this,” he said uncrossing his arms. “But I have to ask, what exactly it is you’re waiting on. And also remind you, that you can't make me stay anywhere."

"Looks like I'm doing a pretty good job of it already." The shadows lifted from his face, but a deviant expression had crawled itself along the pale complexion and made itself a smug little home. Sinister thoughts of the utmost desirable and pleasurable flittered across his eyes, hiding themselves in the back of his mind at the possible amusements he could take. Unknowing, and completely unawares as to why these thoughts were pouncing on him now, he couldn't help but want to prove that he could keep Hufflepuff's savior anywhere he so liked. Deciding that his thoughts were the excess of too much pride, the deviant expression broke into a dark sneer," What am I waiting for? When it happens Diggory, you'll know."


Cedric: Peeves’ departure left a rather sudden silence in the corridor. While it hadn’t been silent before, Cedric was feeling it now as the obnoxious cackling of the rotund spirit faded quickly giving way to eventually nothingness. Cedric looked back to Draco for a moment holding his gaze on him for just a moment before looking away.

Silence fell upon them. And the distance between them now had decreased leaving the other at no more than an arm’s length away if that. Thanks to Peeves, Cedric found himself suddenly aware of just how close the other was. It was enough to bring about a small disturbance in his usually calm and placid behavior. The other had moved closer and while he was still a reasonable distance away Cedric found himself wondering what the other would do if he reached out to him. What he would do at that point was left to the imagination.

Cedric’s sapphire gaze met the other’s silver for a moment. A smile spreading across his features again at his words. He wondered if Draco realized just how much he was finding amusement in all of this.

"Looks like I'm doing a pretty good job of it already."

Smiling at the other he scuffed a shoe on the ground looking down for just a moment. “You think so?” he asked keeping his head tilted to the ground, though his gaze shifted to looking up to him. “Did the thought ever cross your mind that I’m here because I want to be?”

But time was moving on and Cedric was still standing in the middle of a corridor. His mind moved back to the homework that he had intended on doing before the other had intercepted him on his way to his destination. Ironically it was that point that the school’s clock tower began to chime its low hollowing sounds counting off the hours. Cedric sighed inwardly at how quickly time was passing. And still he hadn’t reached a decision.

“What am I waiting for? When it happens Diggory, you'll know."

Cedric’s eyebrow rose curiously at the other. “I see.” His hand moved up to his hair and ran through it slowly causing a good portion of it to cascade into his eyes before he brushed it away.

“Well do you want to give me a hint?” he asked watching the other noticing a sudden change in him for just a moment. It wasn’t completely clear what the other was thinking for the first time since their conversation had begun.


Draco: Cold Silver penetrated brilliant blue as they held each other's gaze and Draco could see within the dim lighting of the corridors the amusement that sparkled on the surface of Cedric's eyes. He was enjoying this. So it seemed, was the Slytherin Prince.

“You think so?” he asked keeping his head tilted to the ground, though his gaze shifted to looking up to him. “Did the thought ever cross your mind that I’m here because I want to be?”

Draco's brow furrowed, his expression sliding into that of mock amusement that carried faithfully into his voice, "And why exactly, would you want to stay here?" The idea cut a good few more scenes into his already tampered head, the conceit rushing through his veins and blinding him for all that it was worth.

It was then that the blonde claimed an idea of the time, the chime of the bell rising eerie and deep from the tower, sending its haunting sound through the castle's stone walls. It was getting around the time when students his age should be in bed. Cedric undoubtedly had a longer curfew, but Draco should definitely be back in his dormitory. Perhaps not sleeping, maybe telling Crabbe and Goyle false stories of how he ran into Diggory and gave him a piece of his mind. But just like the dark haired boy who currently was running his hands through the now dry entangles of hair, he was still standing there. Still staring back, but now admiring the gestures he had seen come only from the more teasing or even shy body of students within the school.

The actions confused him, starting up another wave of arrogant schemes. But it was the question that caught him the most off guard...

“Well do you want to give me a hint?”

"You want... a hint?" He felt rather taken aback, though the same emotion did not flitter across his face. He was too sucked into the dark thoughts haunting his vision, every shut of his eyes lids when he blinked holding some lurid fantasy that should not be there.


Cedric: A low sound resonated around them signaling the passing of an hour from the day’s beginning at midnight. It was followed by several more before Cedric’s thoughtful gaze was taken away from Draco and restored towards the window where he could just barely see the tip of the clock tower in the distance residing in the castle’s courtyard. It’s inner cogs and wheels were busying turning away, counting down the hours that were left until the week to place one’s name in the Goblet of Fire were over.

Seven more tones encircled them both before Cedric gave a wary sigh and turned back to the young Slytherin. Prefects would be out now seeking out those who were in the younger years. Fifth years and over were permitted another hour beyond the younger year’s curfews because they were considered adults at that point. Fifteen opened many doors, though not enough as demonstrated by the groans when the Ministry had banned anyone under seventeen from joining the tournament.

Cedric’s mind continually moved back to the tournament. He wished that it wasn’t consuming so much of life. It had taken over already and he hadn’t even entered his name into it. But perhaps that was the sign. Maybe his mind had already been made up. If it hadn’t, he wouldn’t have been so involved with the whole thing.

Blinking at the realization, Cedric looked back to Draco watching him watch him. A heated silence had passed between them, pressing them both under the pressure of itself. It was an unspoken tension but he clearly felt it and was confident that it wasn’t just him experiencing it all of the sudden. But what to do about it?

There were of course many courses of action. The ones that flitted through his mind at that moment were not what he would consider something he could act on however and he grew annoyed at himself for even having let such things slip on by his mental barriers. He’d always been so good at disguising things. Keeping up an image of calm even if inside he felt consumed by chaos.

And of course the thoughts that were slowly wrapping themselves around him, stirring up desires and feelings did nothing but make him feel guilty when his mind flashed to Cho Chang. She was a young Ravenclaw that over the last two years had really begun to take a liking to him. And he had allowed her to do it too. And now?

Cho Chang who?

Shifting on his feet uneasily at his own thoughts, he cleared his throat and pulled his slip of paper out of his pocket seeking focus again. Focus on something else.

Eternal glory.

"You want... a hint?"

“Yes,” he said simply. “If you’re hell-bent in making me stay I should at least be given a hint. And if not, well then I’ll have to remind you about curfew. And then I’ll to go on my way for the evening. Dodge the repeated questions about whether I’m going to toss my name in the goblet or not.”


Draco: The lurid thoughts took hold of him, the depths of silver glinting with a devious fire already in the process of carrying his blood red hot to rush madly beneath the skin. His cheeks flushed and for some reason he could see the sinister cravings shielded behind Cedric's gaze that he assumed by nature that Draco himself, had given him. A warm aura emitted from the pale skin, the deep crimson from his cheeks spreading out through his arms, down his torso, and all the way to his toes, going unseen beneath the cotton cloth adorning his body.

"You want... a hint?" Draco had asked those words a few minutes ago as Diggory had spaced the time in his silence longer than expected. They seemed so close though, like they had just slipped from his tainted lips. But something was better, something that he had been hoping on, the very thing to cause his blood to boil and the desirable images to take him to action. Diggory had said yes.

A puppet to desire his lips moved, his tongue flicked but only a murmur made it out of his throat," You asked for it." He stepped forward, swiftly, purposefully, not missing a beat though his heart pounded furiously in his head and ears, going faster with each passing second that he was deprived human contact. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1.

Diggory's words past the one he needed went on to trail unheard, and anything else he could possibly say after that was blocked as Draco's fingers pulled forward by the vision's strings clasped the Hufflepuff by the collar. He would have no idea how he managed to pull the taller boy firm but smoothly to him, but it wasn't a concern as the other hand moved upwards until the pale digits slipped in the soft brown hair to lead him down... down... down.

Draco had done it, the proximity no more as he hungrily pressed the soft flesh of his lips to Cedric's a fire exploding within himself so great that he was forced to shut his eyes with the intensity. He was shaking, his heart managing to thump its way into his throat. He didn't care who saw them, didn't care if Diggory hit him, didn't care about the curfew or teachers, all that mattered was here and now and that the hunger for this older boy was appeased within just one kiss.



Cedric: Cedric hadn’t thought his words would be that effective yet the other’s reactions showed differently. The usually pale complexion of the other had gone a few shades of red leaving Cedric curious as to what it was exactly that he had said to have had such an effect.

“You asked for it."

His gaze widened only slightly at Draco’s words watching the other. As in response to some silent signal, Cedric felt himself tensing up. He could feel the usual calmness that followed behind him like a shadow slip away and allow it to be replaced with anxiety over the whole moment playing out now. His own complexion reacted to the others and he was quite sure that there was a deepening shade of red passing across his cheeks and spreading out from there.

Wetting his own lips out of need he found himself watching every move of the Slytherin who had now closed off the distance between the two of them. He was so close that Cedric was sure he could smell the faintest hint of what could only be peanut butter on the other. He could feel the heat radiating off of the other and in turn felt himself responding to it.

Cho Chang who? What? Hmm?

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up reacting to the sensation of having the briefest of touches from Draco’s fingertips as he reached out and grabbed the collar on his neatly pressed shirt. Cedric felt the slight tugging of it and leaned in forward towards him feeling his eyes close as his other hand entered into his hair sending wave upon wave of shivers through him. It was almost more than he could stand.

Warm lips pressed against his, sent Cedric’s mind into shutdown at contact. The sensations that the other drew forth from him with a simple kiss were astonishing. His eyes remained tightly closed as he reached out to him, running his own hands through his blonde hair for a few moments before letting one hand fall behind to the his neck where it remained through out the remainder of their kiss.

Pulling back for a moment, Cedric took a breath of air. It was followed by him stumbling gracefully backwards a step. To anyone who had missed what had just happened it would have seemed to have been a casual step backward. But he knew otherwise.

“Quite a hint,” he said breathlessly.

Opening he eyes he looked towards Draco, his breath still coming in quick gasps out of nerves and all. His cheeks still flushed. His whole body still tingled. Even the hairs on the back of his neck still stood up on end after that simple touch. Not even caring if there was an audience of any sort, he reached out with a hand and grabbed the other’s silver and emerald striped tie. He withdrew his hand back towards him with the tie wrapped around it pulling Draco closer to him into another kiss.


Draco: To Draco's own surprise but greatest of all the satisfaction this young man could give him, was simply that he did not pull away, did not fight, but leaned into him obediently. Even obliged with some affectionate traces of his fingers through the long blonde locks slicked back, though loose in some areas from his earlier outbreak of anger. A shiver made a path down his spine, causing his body to quake and push forward till his chest was touching the Hufflepuff's.

Cedric's delectable taste slipped across Draco's pale smooth lips granting him the sweet salty taste of rain and flesh when their mouths parted from one another and Cedric stumbled gracefully backwards. A groan was caught in his throat, sounding inaudible as the exceptional amount of heat coming from the others body left him, the soft brown waves of his hair leaving his fingertips, and the coarse fabric of the cotton shirt finally escaping the firm grasp, leaving him in the end slightly hunched over.

All the breath he had seemed to be bated and waiting for the moment of departure to be let out, his lungs burning as finally air began to pump back into them in slow mechanical breaths. Light flooded his vision, too bright despite the fact that on every level they were measly candles, his own pants mixing with Cedric's as they both took in much needed amounts of oxygen.

“Quite a hint”

He had assumed that to be the end, a laugh gasping its way up the slender throat to greet Cedric's ears. "Yeah..." he panted back, about to straighten out and turn like some suave womanizer to leave the other in a state of wonderment and unfulfillment. But before he could even stand straight, without shaking, digits bound around his silk green and silver tie and tugged it lightly forward. His body followed without another thought, and the smirk that had played momentarily on the flushed lips ebbed away as flesh pressed one more against flesh. Looked as though Cedric wanted more.

And this he would have.

Playing on instinct, the ecstatic figments and delusions in Draco's head flooded him again. The heat created from the moment seemed to be so intense that it would burn the viewers away or incinerate them. This was a fire that wouldn't die easily, definitely not in the blonde's power hungry existence. He would make sure of that as his hands slipped onward, the marionette doing its job in relying on the strings of desire, one hand slipped beneath the Hufflepuff's arm until the palm placed firm and wide on the center of his back. Exerting the perfect balance of force and power once again the taller boy's chest was pressed to his, while the other snaked back up into the dark wavy hair.

He didn't want to play the same trick as the first time, too intrigued by the taste lingering from Cedric earlier licking his lips. faithfully and immediate his own slipped between the flesh, the dark pink tongue flicking across the upper and lower parts of the other's already wet lips, greedily excepting his taste. He couldn't keep himself from the moment, so invested in it that the steps that echoed across the hall made no effort of dampening his desires. In his mind it was the ticking bomb that was his heart, still galloping madly in his throat, in rhythmic patterns. Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump...


Cedric: Cedric’s sense of touch had been taken to a new level standing there involved with Draco. Every brush of flesh and fabric against him sent another wave of desire through him taking him to a state where he wanted nothing more than to keep things as they were. But reality was closing in fast on them both.

The thick taste of peanut butter, and chocolate spread into his mouth as he welcomed it all willingly. A soft moan escaped him into their kiss as he felt Draco pull them together allowing his chest to touch his. He could feel his heart beating rapidly in his chest matched with his own. At least he wasn’t the only one worked up over it all.

As quickly as it began, it stopped. The sounds of footsteps approaching registered in some part of his mind and Cedric backed away slipping from his grasp and at the same time pulling his own hands away from him. Cold air slipped in between them and he gasped at the sudden contrast of it all despite it only being mere inches. A foot perhaps.

“I think we’re done,” he whispered glancing down the corridor towards the shadow that was steadily growling larger. Soon someone would round the corner upon them both.

“You should go back before you’re caught.” He looked back to him, reaching out to touch him one more. Only he hesitated and instead ran his hand through his own hair. “I’ll delay them to give you a head start.” He fell silent looking at him for a moment before he turned and began walking towards the shadow on a collision course. His robes billowed behind him in a very Slytherin sort of way as he rounded the corner.

His voice, carried down the hallway as he spoke. “Professor,” his voice echoed. “If you have a moment, I’d like to have a word with you if I may.” Footsteps moved on heading in the opposite direction.


Draco: Suddenly the fire that had built up masterful and god-like within the past few swipes of his tongue and lavishing of lips had been struck down, as though Hercules had just come gallivanting round the corner and slain them in an instant. No. He didn't want it to end, shock over coming him as the heat, the lips, the body, and his balance left him causing him to stumble over quiet a ways until his shoulder collided painfully with the wall. He breathed heavily, his chest doing double duty to breathe and maintain his heart which currently felt like it would burst from the rib cage from pumping so fast. He gasped sharp, and held the breath realizing that the tapping sounds that kissed his ears were not coming from the hollow in his chest, but from the dark corridors behind him.

He could feel himself still radiating heat, but as though an air conditioner were stationed in front of him, it seemed to be diminishing rather quickly sending a shiver through his veins.

“I think we’re done.”

Cedric's voice claimed Draco's interest automatically, and with the whip of his head in the tall boy’s direction he felt the cool air of his movements touch the moist skin around his mouth. Out of instinct he brought his hand up to wipe it away, taking the taste that he had grown rather fond of and distributing to the cuff of his robes. Nodding half heartedly with a vague hint of a smirk watching the hand extend towards him hesitantly then pull pack to seize the wavy brown hair atop the Hufflepuff's head.

“I’ll delay them to give you a head start.”

Suddenly all the feeling that had left him during the searing kiss they had shared only moments ago returned to his legs, not feeling quite so shaky, but more confident and empowered. One simple action and all of a sudden Diggory was doing him a favor. He snorted to himself at the thought, standing tall and straightening out his robes when Cedric's back turned and his voice called out through the hall.

His merriment was short lived as he realized the direction the voice was coming from, was the path he needed to take to get to the dungeons. Cursing himself inwardly for being so enveloped in the older boy, he pressed his pack against the wall and slowly slipped along it to the edge of the corridor, watching Diggory intensely around the corner.

Somehow, someway he was hoping he could manage to control Diggory's thoughts to tell him what exactly to do with the professor to allow him a free pass quietly down the corridor he needed to go down.


Cedric: Cedric wasn’t sure just how convincing a job he was doing as he approached the Gryffindor head of house. But his movements were smooth and fluidic as he moved up to the aged professor and presented her with what he hoped was a conversation she’d feel interested in. His mind wasn’t on a conversation with her. No it was off back down the corridor with a certain someone that he had left only moments ago.

“What is it Mr. Diggory?” she asked observing him over her spectacles curiously. Now he’d never actually had a conversation with the Gryffindor’s head of house up until this point. He was all nerves but not over his confrontation with her.

“Well I had some questions,” he said pausing in such a way that he was blocking a good portion of her way down the corridor. “I was hoping that perhaps you could spare five minutes?”

The head of Gryffindor looked Cedric over curiously for a moment and he doubted whether she would actually conceded to it before she nodded and motioned to him to come closer. “Ask your questions Mr. Diggory.”

Unaware of it, he was still smoothing out his clothes as he started to think up a reason for them to walk away from the direction she was going in. He finally resigned to pointing in the direction behind her sending the woman into a half turned position careening her neck around as if something terrible had just happened.

“Yes what is it?” she asked.

“It’s about the, ah, tournament,” he said moving forward hoping that she would walk with him. “I had a question about the goblet of fire. I’m wondering if you could perhaps come there with me. It seemed as if it had been tampered with.”

This certainly got the woman’s attention as she turned and began to walk with him. Although he found himself still under her intense gaze. “Tampered with?”

“Yes ma’am. It’s hard to explain. If I could just show you in person perhaps it would be easier?” The look on his face was hopeful. And he could only pray that the blush was gone from his cheeks.

“Very well,” she said nodding. “I’ve got a few moments.”

“Thank you,” he said leading her down the corridor in the direction of the main hall and away from the path to Slytherin.


Draco: Several blonde strands grazed his cheeks as he peered past the wall to look down the corridor, and the first person to come within his vision other than Diggory who was managing to carry himself masterfully graceful, was Professor McGonagall. His eyes became hateful slits, his face contorting with his disgust of the Gryffindor's Head of house. If there was anyone Draco Malfoy couldn't stand among the teachers, (other than Dumbledore) it was McGonagall. She had her shining moments, mostly the ones when she took points from her own house, but that was about it.

Thinking that he may catch her gaze, immediately he pulled his head back, waiting for the conversation to start. He didn't have to wait long. The swelling of pride happened again as Diggory began to feed some story of the Goblet of Fire being tampered with, and immediately Draco's lips broke into a full on grin that managed to make his face hurt. Ickle Diggory was actually risking his neck for Slytherin's Brat Prince.

Blood rushed into his cheeks again, as once again he craned his neck to look past the corner, delighted to see that both student and teacher had their back turned. As quiet as was humanly possible, Draco swept up the extra fabric of his robes in great big handfuls, pulling them to close to his body before beginning to walk. His steps were light, much quieter than he believed he would ever have managed before, as he placed each foot carefully in front of the other. He only ever took a step when the pressure of the solid under of his shoe had reached its limit.

Trailing behind the pair like a menacing live shadow his breath caught in his throat, his lungs burning as the further he listened to the conversation, the more amusing it seemed to be.

'Diggory, my Savior.' Draco thought smirking inwardly just as Cedric led the aged woman down the opposite corridor away from the one he needed to run down. Still cautious and silent, he took baby steps down the apposing direction, still holding his breath which was slowly draining the light blush from earlier into a sickly blue. He wouldn't break. Not yet.

Cedric and McGonagall’s footsteps were becoming slowly more distant, and only when he managed to duck into a doorway did he actually begin breathing. His lungs were screaming at him at that particular moment and he couldn't hold out much longer. When out of harms way, and what seemed to be a clear shot to launch himself down the hall the rest of the way he took one last moment to reflect on the nights events.

Snickering in hushed tones, he could only wonder just how awkward their next meeting might be like.


Cedric: After what seemed like an eternity Cedric let the Gryffindor head of house go after she had checked it overly thoroughly. To her blatant surprise, Cedric disappeared paying no more attention to the goblet and its dancing blue flames. The paper lay tucked away in his pocket as the hours counted down now until it was over. In less than twenty-four hours the time would be up and the names would be chosen. And if his name wasn’t in it then he wouldn’t have a chance of competing.

Problem? Perhaps.

He made his way back to Hufflepuff quietly after his separation from the professor. His thoughts remained catapulted back to a certain place and time as he wandered through the corridors and slipped into the common room. At this time of night it was deserted and he was relieved to find it so. No questions or pressure to drop his name into the cup. Nothing but silence.



Draco: The soft pitter pattering of his steps greeted him as an only friend in the dark corridors. Aside from McGonagal earlier, he was homeward bound without any interruptions. Thank Merlin. He didn't think he could get out of any more trouble, it was afterall definately past his curfew. Snape may very well be lenient, but not so much as a second thought would cross the minds of another teacher.

Occasionally he could swear that the flicking lights emmitted from the candles were bodies following him, and upon rounding corners had found his heart jumping into his throat and thumping heavy in his ears at the sight of his shadow. Still he was alone, all the way down the steps where a chilling cold bit at his exposed flesh, stinging his face the further he ran deep under the castle to a stoney corridor with a gray wall. Taking his spot front and center of the long freezing hallway, Draco forced most of the images caused by a certain Hufflepuff, aside, and tried drastically to remember the password. He couldn't. All he could think about was Cedric's full lips being forcibly taken by him, and when he believed that to be it, being forcibly taken back.

To his luck and astonishment, the wall before him slide out of sight revealing a bronze door and out came the chubby groupie Pansy Parkinson looking flushed and angry with a determined look on her face.

"I'm gonna go fi- Oh! Draco!" She smiled broadly, clasping his robes and pulling himside hurriedly. "Where have you been?! I was just going out to look for you," she responded straightening out the crumbled fabric caused by her harsh grip, plowing on with a glare to the two mumbling idiots sitting on the leather couch," These two were saying that you must have a good reason to be late and were too scared to come aft-"

"Don't worry about it," Draco responded somewhat distantly though a sneer was more than a little apparent on his features. He had stationed his gaze on his two loyal cronies, ignoring the soft strokes of Pansy's hands as she continued to smooth out his robes. "You won't believe who I ran into earlier..."

And so it went, Draco doing exactly what he had promised himself he would do the moment he met Diggory in the corridor. It would be very un-Draco-like to deny his meeting, but it would be even more unDraco-like if he hadn't covered up the whole kiss bit with a bit of overexagerated gloating time. So while Pansy had made herself comfortable hanging most of her weight on his shoulder, Crabbe and Goyle at the edge of their seats, but all of them staring into the cold pale pointed face of Draco Malfoy hanging onto his every word, he gave an entire cock and bull story about Hufflepuff won't make it, and that he was dellusional to put his name in the cup, and how he had supposedly left Cedric speechless after his encounter, only to barely escape a flock of teachers.

By the end of the night the three were laughing stupidly, and sent on up to the dormitories by Draco who wanted to stay downstairs to reflect on his brilliance. Sitting in his favorite corner of the couch, his cool gray eyes watched the flickering embers in the fireplace, every so often swearing that he could see the moment of contact earier in the third person until slowly nodding off into a peaceful and satisfying sleep.