Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Serpent and the Badger ❯ A Badger's Dilemma ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter: A Badger's Dilemma
 
Cedric: With morning upon him, Cedric slipped from his bed tired from a disturbed night's sleep. He had found it difficult to fall asleep. His mind had been working overtime analyzing what had happened in the corridor with Draco earlier in the evening. What he came to realize was that he hadn't a clue how it happened or why it had happened. But with breakfast and classes not too far behind he had to put the distractions on hold until later.

“So?” came a voice. Cedric looked up from his breakfast. How he got there he wasn't sure.

“What?” he asked through a yawn. His friend seemed surprised to see him in such a state. And it was most likely welcomed as Cedric was never one to have his usually calm demeanor disturbed in such a drastic way.

His friend sighed. “You. The Goblet of Fire. The tournament. It's the last day Cedric.” His friend cast him a hopeful look. “You need to put your name in.”

He furrowed his brow at his friend. “I know it's the last day.” His gaze moved along the Hufflepuff table in the direction of the Goblet of Fire that lay at the head of the room. Though in order to reach that image his gaze had to first travel across the room. And of course at some point, it made its way over towards the Slytherin table curiously. Though it was missing what he was looking for.

“I've got time,” he said not bothering to even look at it. “I've got until tonight.” He grabbed a bagel and stood up gathering his things. “Free period. I'll be in the library trying to finish off that forsaken essay.”

Both of them exchanged nods and Cedric departed the dining halls.
 
 
Draco: Draco was woken with a start, taking a deep breath and staring bug-eyed into the pug face of Pansy Parkinson once more. "Draco!" she said a little too loudly for his taste, causing his hands to rise to his ears and give her a dangerous look. She smiled at him and pulled away. "Come on, its Breakfast time."

Mumbling incoherently to himself he buried his head into his arm, pulling his legs up close as he could get them on the couch. He was having such a good dream to. Suddenly sleep didn't matter, his eyes shooting open and his body seizing strength he shouldn't possess this early in the morning. His head whipped around wildly, sending his blonde locks now completely unkempt from his twisting on the couch while he slept, flaring out ever which way into his vision. His head was hurting now, the reactions too sudden for his sleepy brain, though it caught on rather quickly that he wasn't in his dorms like he should have been as Pansy was there. In one instance he had found her sitting by his bed when he had roused himself from sleep. It had startled him so much he let out a yell loud enough to wake up his companions.

Bringing his hands to his face to stimulate the skin, he peered through his fingers at the impatient stare that Pansy was directing towards him. With a great yawn, he dropped his hands and swayed in his seat while diverting his gaze to the floor. "Go on without me," Draco said so sluggishly it could have been mistaken as a groan. But Pansy understood as she gave a great and overly dramatic sigh, stamping her foot. He couldn't see her leave, but judging by the distance of the shuffling steps, three bodies had left through the door to go pig out in the Great Hall.

Stifling another couple of yawns, Draco's eyes lazily scanned over the floor and stationed on the dead fireplace that he was quick to assume he had watched till asleep. Instantly Cedric came floating back into his mind, and all sleep was lost to him, that inherited smirk finding its rightful place on his face again. Almost anxious to see the boy again, he pushed himself from the couch and headed to his dormitory to fix himself up. Combing his hair, and putting on a clean pair of robes, then out again.

-----

Taking the stairway two at a time, his school cloak lapping at his legs and billowing in that infamous Slytherin manner, he made his way swiftly down the halls to the Great Hall... only, he didn't really want to go there. Not with so many prying eyes and curious yet anxious gazes. Anyways, who was to say that Cedric was there, perhaps he stayed in the common room to avoid all the publicity. Today was the last day for entering the tournament after all.

So with a couple quick changes in his steps, going a bit slower, and moving through the upper corridors he found himself in the same hall that he had encountered Cedric that very night. The taller boy had been heading upstairs when he had seen him, and quite sure that if Cedric really hadn't come down yet, that he would run into him on the way down. With a quick silver gaze over each shoulder, the Slytherin Prince began to ascend the glittering marble staircase into the heavens of the school. Unbenounced to him, the very person he was looking for would be coming from behind him, not ahead.
 
 
Cedric: Free of the massively packed dining halls, Cedric leaned against a nearby wall and sighed closing his eyes for a moment. A flash of blonde and gray flashed through his mind at lightning speed and he lifted his head opening his eyes once more. Apparently even in waking he was to be haunted by what had transpired the night before. As he progressed on to the library to finally finish off his essay like he had intended before, he let his mind wander onto the subject of Draco and what had happened. It would have gone there anyway even if he had tried to fight it however he needed distraction from other things as he walked towards the library. Once he got into the room he'd go about his business and finish his work.

Down one corridor and then around to another, he made his way along the passages silently thanking the whole idea of breakfast as everyone was still at it. And of course free period. Something that he'd come to enjoy quickly. He reached one of the main staircases and began walking up it, taking the steps two at a time. Taking a short cut across another corridor he passed by a rather faded painting that whispered something to him about a pastry and a boot. But he was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he really didn't think much on it.

His hand wrapped around the cool metal of another stair casing's railing and he began taking the steps quickly, turning and winding with the pattern of it closing in the distance between himself and the library. He rounded a particularly sharp corner and came to a pause having seen movement ahead of him. Leaning to the side just to see a little around the corner, Cedric caught a glimpse of blonde hair. But not just any blonde hair as this particular shade was reserved for only one person in the school. And at the sight of it, he felt his stomach bottom out from under him. He found himself all nerves again.

Running a quick hand through his hair and writing their meeting off today as coincidence he continued up the stairs following behind him. "You can't honestly think they'll let you in the library," he said lightheartedly after a few moments. The library was the only guess he had, as it was really the only thing up this way that any student went to.

"This would be what? The first time you ever went in there?"
 
 
 
 
Draco: Slowly as he continued to climb up the stairs, he began to feel a little lost and confused. He'd never actually tried to look for the Hufflepuff common rooms before, and was unsure if they really upstairs. Before he knew it, he was in a familiar place, but only by passing by. The library. Scowling efficiently, his gaze dropped over the railing of the stairs, his eyes scoping out the many steps thinking he might have taken a wrong turn or something. It was just when his attention went back to the library for one last frown in its direction, as though to make it feel bad for not being what he wanted, the very thing he was looking for had since then appeared behind him and before he knew it the low charming voice was greeting Draco's ears.

"You can't honestly think they'll let you in the library"

Draco started, turning on his heel and rising up onto another step in his excitement. The scowl reappeared into a sneer, his body becoming relaxed in seconds and leaning naturally against the banister as though he were expecting Diggory all this time. He was just about to retort when the other spoke again, that smile that Draco was slowly growing fond of on his features.

"This would be what? The first time you ever went in there?"

He was mocking him. True that he hadn't ever purposefully gone to the library for anything in his entire school life, but more on the same lines as just happening upon it while looking for something or someone. He wouldn't fail to retort this time though, his silver gaze shining malevolent in their very apparent trek across the handsome face before him, stationing several moments on his lips.

"Second actually," Draco responded still holding the trademark sneer deciding to feed Diggory some made-up reason why he wasn't at the library," I was kicked out last time for threatening to burn it down. I figured I'd come back to take my own advice."
 
 
 
Cedric: Cedric smiled faintly at his own comment wondering how the other would take it. He continued up the stairs until he was several steps down from the other. The difference in stairs made it so that now Cedric was evenly matched in height with the other. It wasn't exactly clear if Cedric was expecting to find Draco here or not. But he didn't appear surprised at all to find him in the area.

"Second actually," Draco responded still holding the trademark sneer deciding to feed Diggory some made-up reason why he wasn't at the library," I was kicked out last time for threatening to burn it down. I figured I'd come back to take my own advice."

Draco's comment came not to long after his own and he found himself smiling at it. “I see,” he said adjust the strap to his bag that was staring to bit into the flesh of his shoulder a little uncomfortably. With it feeling more comfortable, he shoved both of his hands into his pants pockets keeping his gaze on the other.

“Well if you're really in the mood for arson today would you mind if I just grabbed a quick book out of there before you torch the place?” he asked. Let's face it. The library was old, it smelled of aged books and half the books that they needed to work from were falling apart from overuse. The books might have even welcomed the relief to be out of the world.

He took another step up the stairs so that he was now just slightly taller than the other. “I'm guessing that you made it back to Slytherin alright then?” he asked breeching into the subject of the previous night.
 
Draco: “Well if you're really in the mood for arson today would you mind if I just grabbed a quick book out of there before you torch the place?”

Draco snickered at the comment, but didn't respond, too interested in the steps the other was taking to make himself the same height and then taller within the same space of a minute. Lofting a brow curiously he opened his mouth to ridicule the Hufflepuff or maybe even mock him, but once again was cut off by the other's charming voice.

“I'm guessing that you made it back to Slytherin alright then?”

Silver dimmed to a cloudy dark gray, falling into deep thought trying to remember what had happened after the heart pounding slip past McGonagall. Not recalling any mishaps resulting in a loss of house points, or any raised voices, he made a quick decision that he had indeed made it to his dormitory alright. Focusing in on the brilliant blue eyes now higher than his, he leaned his head into his shoulder to run a hand through his slicked back blonde hair.

"Yeah," came the familiar slow drawl at last, brow furrowed in further concentration. Not really able to remember anything else he decided to drift the subject from himself for once, and on to Diggory," How'd the whole thing with McGonagall go? She find that you were lying to her about the Goblet?"
 
 
Cedric: He gave a small nod to the other when he admitted to making it back to Slytherin without any problem. The only problem now seemed to be that his passage up the rest of the steps was blocked mostly by the blonde. He could ask him to move of course. But he seemed as though he was content as he was partially blocking his way. He wondered if he knew what he was doing.

How'd the whole thing with McGonagall go? She find that you were lying to her about the Goblet?"

He shook his head. “Actually it wasn't a lie,” he said glancing down at his shoes for a moment and then looking back up at him. “Something seemed off about it the other night when I was there looking at it all.” He shrugged. “Just a feeling I suppose.”

Or not. “Or perhaps it's just my excuse for not entering the tournament. Makes it easier to say no that way.” His voice was thoughtful at this point as he thought it all over. Biting his lip, he shrugged.

“So about the fire?” he asked mischievously wetting his lips.
 
Draco: Actually it wasn't a lie,” he said glancing down at his shoes for a moment and then looking back up at him. “Something seemed off about it the other night when I was there looking at it all.” He shrugged. “Just a feeling I suppose.”

A small frown surfaced on the younger boy's features as he thought on this. Something wrong with the Goblet of Fire? Draco thought that Albus Dumbledore was a thick-headed no good headmaster, but he knew for a fact that Dumbledore would never allow anyone to tamper with the Goblet that may put the students in harms way. Though that wasn't the interesting bit as Cedric continued...

“Or perhaps it's just my excuse for not entering the tournament. Makes it easier to say no that way.”

Draco couldn't help himself, the conceit that had taken hold of him the previous night now completely captivating his senses and driving his words. "A Hufflepuff wouldn't have ever made it in the tournament anyway," Draco responded sneering malevolently. Unfortunately he couldn't manage to stare Cedric directly in the face, not wanting to see a hurt or anger that may tarnish the handsome features that Draco had favorably etched in the back of his mind.

“So about the fire?”

"What about it?" Draco responded almost confused, he'd almost half way forgotten the little story he fed Diggory earlier, trying hard to captivate himself with one of the many portraits on the wall to keep himself from seeing the sudden change in the Hufflepuff's change in expression from deviant to hateful. Almost at once he was starting to regret himself, thinking that might have been the push Diggory needed to leave him and put his name in the cup. Hoping against hope that Cedric would play it off charmingly, flash the smile and glint his eyes as he had last night, and take this bad feeling out of Draco's stomach.
 
Cedric: Cedric hadn't been expecting such a comment from the other. Perhaps he should have and the fact that it came as such a shock was enough to bother him. Though he managed with difficulty to keep the look off of his face that threatened to wipe away the usual calm expression he had on it. He should have known better than to let his guard down in such a way. And honestly he hadn't realized that he had. But Draco's comment was like a punch in the stomach to him.

"A Hufflepuff wouldn't have ever made it in the tournament anyway,"

But perhaps he was right over the whole thing. He couldn't recall all who had entered but he doubted that any of his housemates had tossed their name in even for the thrill of it. No everyone was pressuring him to put his name in. And now instead of feeling good about his decision to walk away he felt as if he were viewed as a coward.

He hadn't even anything he could say in response to it. Only the thoughts in his head that were warning him that he shouldn't have left himself open for such a remark. Regardless, Cedric remained as close to his usual self as he could giving off the air of strength as he moved up another step and stepped to the side, his gaze now focused on the library not quite ready to look at the other to see if he actually meant what he had said.

"What about it?"

“Actually nothing,” he said changing his mind on the whole thing. He turned and glanced over his shoulder looking at him for a moment. Though Draco's head was turned off to the side where he couldn't see his expression. “Nothing,” he repeated. “I have work I need to do Draco.”
 
 
Draco: Draco waited patiently for a response, any kind of witty retort or comment from the older boy that might release the dread that was swallowing him whole. Nothing came. Instead he was left there staring at the portrait beyond him, his tongue was numb, disabling any speech he might have conjured up to either burry himself a deeper grave or lighten the mood. Now the silence was enveloping him, even though Cedric was quiet for only a few moments, he could tell that his words had hit him hard and cold causing those seconds to feel like minutes at a time.

He kept his gaze stationed away, listening intently for the charming laugh he admired, or even a sudden action, but it was the voice he wanted. And when finally Diggory had shattered the silence that had glass cased itself around the young Slytherin, Draco could hear the hollow looming at the end of it. His voice was but a mere reflection of its glorious self, and no matter how hard the other tried to sound as normal as possible, Draco knew better.

“Actually nothing,” he said changing his mind on the whole thing. He turned and glanced over his shoulder looking at him for a moment. Though Draco's head was turned off to the side where he couldn't see his expression. “Nothing,” he repeated. “I have work I need to do Draco.”

He could see from the corner of his eye, the tall shadow that was Cedric move up a step or two, barely touching him as he turned. The closeness caused the hairs on his neck to stand on end, and without even having to look he knew Diggory was looking at him. He held his sneer, but just as Diggory's voice, it did not carry its usual charisma and fire, it was but a simple empty mask that he wanted badly to throw away. Pride stopped him. Then of course there was that regretful feeling again, not wanting to be the reason that Cedric would carry a frown, or be spiteful so making his head turn as far as possible not wanting the other to know he was or wasn't enjoying this. His hair helped, slipping past his ear and sliding across his pale cheek to shield his face on one side like a pale sheer of material falling over his head.

"Then what's stopping you?" he inquired placidly, not sure if he should play off the remark he made earlier, or drop it.
 
 
Cedric: Cedric allowed his gaze to move off of Draco and focus on a nearby portrait for a moment. The scene was that of a pride of lions on a canvas designed as a large plane. Tasseled grasses blew in the wind and he sighed watching the tails of the lionesses and cubs flick lazily in the sunlight casting down upon them all.

"Then what's stopping you?"

Cedric blinked out of his daze and looked back to the other for a moment. “Nothing is stopping me,” he said quietly. “I have a right not to want to join,” he said bringing his foot up another step. Another step towards the library. There was a crinkling sound and he looked down to find that at some point his hand had gone into his pocket and grasped onto the paper with his name.

“I've got time,” he said in his own defense shoving the parchment into his pocket. Only it slipped out of it as he pulled his hand back out and floated down several steps to land on the other's shoe. Unaware of it, he took another step up.

“I have to finish an assignment before class,” he said searching for a reason to move on out of the uncomfortableness of the situation. “Though I hope whoever is chosen to compete in the tournament is somehow worthy in your eyes.”

"Even if they are a Hufflepuff."
 
 
Draco: “I have a right not to want to join,”

Draco flinched, the sneer falling off his face finally as the other ascended higher on the stairs. He wanted to leave now, wanted to head on down to the Great Hall and vent on his cronies more lies of Diggory and how he'd get what's coming to him for being so disrespectful... no. He didn't want that. He didn't want the attention or the sick feeling of knowing that none of it was true. He didn't want to have to remember those words. No more lies. But he had to do something, but just what should he do. Leave and he'd think himself weak, unable to finish an argument that he started. But stay and he'd also consider himself moderately soft for caring about the feelings of a 17 year old Hufflepuff who was definitely popular among his house, but not what any in his own house would deem as normal.

“I've got time,” he said in his own defense shoving the parchment into his pocket. Only it slipped out of it as he pulled his hand back out and floated down several steps to land on the other's shoe. Unaware of it, he took another step up.

Diggory made his way up a few more steps along the stairs toward the library, a light crinkling a paper finding its way abstractly into the air gaining his attention. He didn't want to turn, afraid of the expression he could possibly carry. To his greatest relief, the paper had come floating down between his legs and landing with an elegant finesse on his shoes. His face flushed red at the text on the parchment facing him. Cedric Diggory. It was the paper he had pulled out yesterday night, and now it was resting on his shoe neglected.

Diggory seemed not to have noticed it, still ascending the stairs...

“I have to finish an assignment before class,” he said searching for a reason to move on out of the uncomfortable of the situation. “Though I hope whoever is chosen to compete in the tournament is somehow worthy in your eyes.”

"Even if they are a Hufflepuff."


A surge or red hot anger rushed through him. Bending over haphazardly he swiped the parchment into his hand and spun around, his gray eyes flicked darkly in the others direction, clenching the parchment firmly in hand. His other arm shot out swiftly, his body taking a step, then another up till he finally felt the flesh of Cedric's hand. Not a moments delay and he had clenched onto it, jerking the harm harshly down to make Diggory whirl around. He didn't speak, but instead waited until he could see Cedric's face rotate around and down till the sapphire gaze met his silver one. Glaring, pale pointed face lined with anger, he shoved the hand with the parchment in it to Cedric's chest, pressing the palm flat against the shirt so that the paper was held between its true owner's body, and the person who happened upon it.
 
 
Cedric: Cedric's gaze remained focused on the remaining steps. He could hear the door to the library creek open from time to time as someone entered and left its cool chasm. And if he thought hard enough on it he was sure that he could smell the mustiness of the aged books that were trapped on the other side of the heavy door.

Hearing steps he paused just briefly turning rather abruptly when he felt the other grab his arm and jerk it backwards. He turned not really surprised that the other had stopped him. He had had a feeling he would but wasn't sure of the reasoning.

With his hand on his chest, Cedric held Draco's gaze for a moment feeling his whole body tense slightly at the contact like it had the previous night. Things could easily go on to a repeat of the previous night if he allowed himself such a luxury. But he wasn't about to give in and allow it to happen again. Draco's comment had been a little too harsh for him and while he knew he should have expected it, it was surprising still.

“What?” he asked allowing his gaze to move down to his hand pressed against his chest. Despite his attempts to act indifferent his body was reacting in a totally different direction.
 
 
Draco: Draco's gaze was relentless, not breaking contact for an instant even though Cedric's had to look at his hand.

"What?"

"This is yours." His voice was low, the drawl accented thickly but firm. He wasn't about to pull another stunt like last night, not now with how much unnerved he was, let alone the emotions cannon-balled from one side to the other in shaky paths. He released Cedric's hand, yanking his arm away as though repulsed at the very thought of touching the other. But still that one hand with the paper pressing against Cedric's chest, a corner barely peeking out from between his outstretched fingers.

"Use it. Hufflepuff won't ever amount to anything if you don't." The words weren't forced, smoothly riding off his tongue with that firm touch to it. It appeared that Cedric was worthy of the chance, he didn't want to be represented by anyone else at this point.
 
 
Cedric: Cedric's gaze held onto Draco's studying it. Still he found himself trying to gauge the severity of the comment that had come forth from the other as if it were a rare occurrence. But there were no answers to that question as his gaze dropped back down to the hand that was still placed firmly on his chest.

"Use it. Hufflepuff won't ever amount to anything if you don't."

The small piece of parchment that escaped the other's pale hand was just enough of a hint to clue Cedric into what it was the other hand. He reached up and pulled the sheet of paper out from under it and looked at it. His name clearly still written on that slip of paper. Draco's words lacked the same sharpness as before. However Cedric said nothing about it. He pointed nothing out but instead shoved the paper into his pocket. He made no comment about any of it when he next spoke.

“I have homework.” His hand moved up to the others on his chest and he laid his hand across it for a moment watching him. Just a few seconds of contact but it was enough of a reminder of it all. Slowly he pushed it away and off of him and took those last few steps up the stairs and turned back to look at the other for just a moment. “I'll see you around Draco,” he said hesitating on the spot for one moment and then turning and heading into the library like he had planned on doing. Though as he slipped into its doors he found that he wanted to go back to the other. Most surprising.
 
Draco: The thin piece of parchment slipped between his fingers easily, and as it did he could feel every tiny rivet along his palm and fingertips. Cedric's gaze had fallen upon taking the paper with his name upon it, running his eyes over it to see his name. The paper crinkled as he placed it back into the empty space of his pocket, the sapphire guided back to silver just as Draco was planning on taking his hand off the others chest. Instead he found his hand pressed over lightly, and as though on an impulse his digits gently stroked the rough cotton fabric of his shirt.

The moment was short and sweet, so much so that Draco had almost completely forgotten that Cedric had said he needed to do homework. But when his hand fell to his side again, and the others back turned to him, the trance he had been claimed by, released him.

“I'll see you around Draco.”

Then he was gone up the steps leaving Draco the sight of mere black and yellow before he turned around and slowly began trudging down the steps moodily. Portraits eyed him suspiciously, talking amongst themselves but always throwing a glance to the boy. "What're looking at," he snapped at a knight who was staring at him as though he'd never seen a 14 year old boy before in his life. The knight didn't answer, and all of the rest of the way down Draco couldn't help but dread the day not knowing exactly what Cedric was going to do.