Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Witch Hunt ❯ 01: Angels and Demons/Murder and Transfer ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Witch Hunt
By: xLucky-Sparks
Chapter One: Angels and Demons; Murder and Transfer
Author's Note: Yes, yes. First things first and the usual disclaimer business is always the first thing on the agenda. Anything that you don't recognize as the property of J.K Rowling belongs to me. This is a Harry Potter next generation fanfic, I hope that you enjoy it and please read and review. Critiques are loved. Scathing ones are awesome. I do like it when people tell me that they like my fic, but I also do like it when they tell me what they like about it - you know, style, characters... nothing at all. And if you happen to be SAL, please alert me if I happen to be on pottersues. It is, after all, one of my dearest wish to be featured on her journal. Thank you. Now, on to the story.
---
Toadstool Academy of Magic and Spellcraft
Somewhere in Washington
June 14 : Forest of Enchantment : Witching Hour
 
Fear. If fear had a smell it would smell like this: a combination of cold sweat, black terror and dark air. Amanda knew because she was suffocating in it. Every inhale. Every exhale. Every breath she took was filled with biting cold fear, drying her mouth and irritating her lungs, as she ran blind through the Forest of Enchantment.
“Help! Somebody, please help me!” Amanda prayed that someone would answer her as she slowed into a walk before standing completely still, her hand curled into a fist. If she hadn't lost her wand, she would have been holding it right now. “Somebody please help me,” she whispered feeling a sob well up in the back of her throat.
No. This wasn't the time to be crying. This wasn't the time to panic.
Swallowing the lump in her throat, Amanda pushed the sob down with it. She had stopped out in the open. Anyone can see her. This was a bad thing. Because that meant - Without another thought, Amanda turned around and continued running. Anyone can see her, including him. As she ran, Amanda's eyes darted wildly around the forest, searching its every nook and cranny for a hiding spot. Anywhere was fine, as long as it was safe. Safe from danger. Safe from death. She skidded to a halt behind a large oak tree and pressed her back against its trunk. That sob she had pushed down began to crawl up her throat again from the pit of her stomach. Her legs gave way and Amanda slid to the ground, hugging her knees as tears began to fall from her blue eyes, staining her dirt streaked face. She looked around the forest, her sigh blurred with tears that she wiped away promptly. She could hardly believe it. The once serene and inspiring landscape had turned foul and macabre. The cool air was now freezing cold, biting at her skin and nerves. The lush green trees whispered like demonic ghosts to the shadows that surrounded her. It was as if they were mocking her, jeering at her misfortune. Before she knew it, she was sobbing.
This wasn't how she wanted her night to end. This wasn't how she wanted the end of her fifth year at Toadstool Academy to end. Yes, she wanted this night to be memorable. She wanted the end of her fifth year to be memorable also. But not this way. It was suppose to end with happiness, bliss and a happily ever after. This? This was a nightmare straight out of hell.
It all started with a letter she received that morning. Golden paper. Red ink. Tied with a silver ribbon and tucked inside her bookbag after Transfiguration class. When she saw the letter, her heart swelled with joy. It was a Cupid's Note, a tradition that has lasted for years at Toadstool Academy. When a boy loves a girl, but was too shy to tell her face to face, he would slip into her bookbag a gold Cupid's Note. If it was a girl, she would slip the boy a silver one. At first, the note would have a place and time written on it. Soon though, the location and time would be common knowledge and nothing would be written in it. Just a blank sheet of paper, tied with ribbon. But for some reason, her note had a small picture of a shield and sword on it. Amanda didn't think much of it. It didn't matter anyways because she was much too excited. All she could think about was sneaking out of the dormitories just before midnight and into the Forest of Inspiration then head towards the Starlight Lake. Then at midnight, her Prince Charming would come. Maybe that's what the sword and shield symbolized.
When Amanda told this news to Penelope, her best friend, the other girl only frowned. This isn't a good idea, she said before pushing the letter back to Amanda, not with all the murders that has been going around. Not just at the Academy, but around neighboring cities also.
Penelope was right. Amanda took her best friend's reaction as jealousy at first. After all, the both of them were one of the most unnoticeable girls at Toadstool Academy. Girls like them, rarely have the chance to be swept off their feet. As for the murders? She was going to be careful, take all of the precautions. She wasn't scared of the murders either. Sure, there had been three deaths at the Academy and two at Evergreen Needle Town. But Amanda was decent at Defense Against the Dark Arts and was better than most students her age at jinxes and hexes. She'll be fine. She made Penelope swear on her life that she wouldn't tell anyone about her sneaking out. Once the promise was secure, Amanda was on cloud nine. But in the end, Penelope was right.
Prince Charming was a monster.
“Reducto!”
Amanda screamed as the oak tree exploded behind her. At least that's what it felt like as shattered branches and smoking leaves rained down on her. Jilted out of her thoughts, her ears ringing from the blast, Amanda barely had time to regain herself before another spell came whizzing at her.
“Immobulus!”
Amanda dodged the spell just in time, leaping out of the way but crashing face first into a hard rock as she did so. The taste of bitter earthy taste of dirt and moss mixed with blood filled her mouth. With a careless wipe, Amanda brushed the blood from her mouth barely registering the cut on her lip as she started running. He had found her. The chase was on again and her life was on the line.
“You can end this right now you know,” said Prince Charming, his voice smooth as silver mercury, “It doesn't have to be this way. It's only harder for the both of us.”
Even from far away he sounded unfazed as if he was teetering between the edge of boredom and fascination at this game of cat and mouse. That only irritated Amanda even further. This was a game to him, some sick twisted game and she wasn't going to let him win. The Academy had to be close by. She was running in its direction, she was sure of it.
Straining her ears, Amanda forced her senses to heighten and push past the sound of her labored breath and the pounding of her footsteps. The wind was rattling the tree leaves. The shadows were whispering to each other. The sound of crickets and silence intermingled with rushing water. Rushing water. The Mystic River. She was close by the Mystic River and once she crossed the bridge it was a straight run towards the Academy. Less than half a mile to the bridge. A mile and a half to the Academy. She had to make it. It was her only hope.
With this new hope, came a new strength. Her mind was clear, free of paranoia and fear. She had a goal and a destination that not even the dark and haunting forest can deter her from it. The first person she was going to was Principal McKinley. She was going to tell him everything. From the Cupid Note to the identity of the murderer. Principal McKinley wouldn't believe her, but she'll make him. She had proof. Hell, she was the proof.
The rushing sound of the Mystic River and the sight of the old wooden bridge came as a rush of joy. She could barely hear the footsteps of her pursuer. She must have outran him or her must have gotten lost. Either way, she was home free.
When she got to the bridge, Amanda slowed to a walk. Her grip on the wooden rail of the bridge was so tight her knuckles were white and she could feel every splinter against her skin. Breathing deeply, Amanda turned around expecting to see Prince Charming right behind her. But there was nothing. A quiet empty serene forest looked back at her.
“What are you doing out here?”
Amanda spun around in surprise, her hand going up instinctively as if to put her wand up as shield. But when she saw who it was, Amanda breathed a sigh of relief. One of the prefects at the Academy. A girl so quiet that she was existence practically obscured from the student population. Compared to the girl, Amanda was popular.
“Oh, it's just you,” said Amanda, a tired smile of gratitude and relief tugged at her lips. “For a second there I thought that you-”
“That I was the crazy murderer?” finished the girl.
Her words made her want to laugh as Amanda grinned and nodded. “Yea, for a second there I did. Because- because-” Relief was replaced with urgency when Amanda suddenly remembered what was going on. Reaching out, Amanda took the girl by her shoulders and began to push her towards the Academy. “We have to run. Get out of here! He's not what everyone thinks he is and we have to tell Principal McKinley! Come on! Let's go! Why aren't you moving?”
When the girl refused to move, Amanda took a few steps back away from her. Her eyes were wide as Amanda looked from the girl's face to the wand in her had. The wand pointed right at Amanda. Before Amanda could scream for help, the girl flicked her wand. “Silencio.”
Her voice was lost.
Amanda stood stunned for a moment. The scream for help she was about to scream died at the tip of her tongue. Her eyes widened as fear and panic invaded her mind again. This can't be happening. This can't be happening. Hands to her throat, Amanda looked at the girl. The wand was still up but there was spark of uncertainty in her dark brown eyes. That uncertainty was all she needed.
Pushing past the girl, Amanda made another bid for freedom but couldn't get far. Another spell was fired at her and hit her full on the back. Amanda fell to the ground again, her arms locked to her sides and legs locked together. A full body bind.
“Took you long enough.”
With her face in the dirt, Amanda couldn't see what was going on but she could definitely hear though. The girl sounded annoyed at whoever was walking towards them. Who it was, Amanda already know. The girl was in the same league as Prince Charming. She should have known, the two of them were friends after all. Before tonight, she wouldn't have guessed they were close friends. But now the pieces of the puzzle fit together. She and Prince Charming spent a lot of time together. Everyone noticed but no one cared. Prince Charming was friends with everyone after all. The only question left now, is why? Why are they doing this?
“Took a little detour and found myself on the scenic route,” said Prince Charming. Amanda could imagine his easygoing smile as she heard a soft thwap. The girl must have slapped Prince Charming on the arm, at least that's what it sounded like because he was chuckling.
There was silence as the two of them walked over to Amanda, surveying her like a spider does to an insect in its web. It was an uncomfortable silence of not knowing and Amanda hated that. It was even more uncomfortable than breathing in the cool dark soil. That discomfort didn't last long though. A pair of strong gentle hands gripped her shoulders and turned her over. Once she was on her back, Amanda found herself looking into the clear light brown eyes every girl at the Toadstool Academy dreamed of. Even now, with the knowledge that he was the murderer at the Academy, his eyes were breathtaking.
Prince Charming grinned before petting her on the arm. “It'll be all over before you know it,” he said, “It's going to hurt. But this pain? This pain is nothing compared to what awaits you in the afterlife if we don't go through with this. Once this is over, you'll be free. Your soul will be purified and you'll descend to the gates of heaven without sin.”
Purification? Sin? Heaven?
Amanda's mind reeled with questions as she tried to squirm and scream. Beg for their mercy. Beg for her life. Beg for forgiveness for whatever wrong she had done to either of them. She didn't want to die. She was only sixteen. This was only her fifth year at the Academy. She never had a boyfriend. Never been to a real Quidditch game. Never explored the world like she dreamed of doing. Never tasted real sushi like she always promised Penelope she would. There were so much things she had never experienced. And what about her mother? Her father? She had promised them that she would grow up and make something of herself. How can she keep that promise if she- if she-
All her pleas and sobs went unheard though. She couldn't speak even if she could move her mouth to do so. Instead, her tears spoke for her as they streamed down her face for the second time that night. A gentle hand reached out to her and wiped the tears away.
“You'll be alright in the end. Witches and wizards will burn in hell. This way, you'll go to heaven.” It was the girl who spoke this time. After she spoke, Amanda heard two loud snaps. She didn't need to look to know what was broken. It was her wand. Nine and three quarters inches. Yew. Unicorn hair core with a light dusting of fairy dust. Her mother had bought it for her as a sixteenth birthday present. “Wingardium Leviosa.”
Amanda felt herself rise from the ground until she was hovering above Prince Charming and the girl. Slowly her arms began to rise also until she appeared to be hanging from an invisible cross. The girl was holding the broken pieces of the wand in one hand. In her other hand was her wand.
Looking at them now, Amanda didn't feel scared anymore. She felt angry. Angry and confused. Why were they killing her to save her soul? Weren't they witches and wizards themselves? They were students of the Academy. The both of them were in her year. They were in the same Charms and Potions class as she was. She wanted to ask them those questions, have them realize their own hypocrisy.
“Are you ready?” asked Prince Charming as he looked over to the girl. She was looking at Amanda, biting her bottom lip as she did so. “You want to do the honors?” She shook her head. Prince Charming smiled grimly before he nodded and looked at Amanda. “Then I will.”
Amanda watched as Prince Charming closed his eyes. It was as if he was steeling himself for a duel. Collecting his thoughts. Calculating his moves. She had seen this stance a thousand times before from him during Dueling club and at the annual Dueling contests Toadstool Academy had hosted. But when she squinted, she saw his lips moving. He was concentrating indeed. In fact, he was praying. Then with a flash, his eyes opened and in the moonlight Prince Charming's eyes flashed an angelically dark light. He pointed his wand at her.
“Incendio.”
Searing heat engulfed Amanda's entire being. It ate away at her skin. Tore at her hair. Ravished at her nerves. Electrifying, scorching and burning her every sense. It was a pain so mind numbing so mind wrecking that Amanda felt as if she could go insane - no, she was going insane. What's worse, she couldn't even scream. Scream so that the world can hear her tortured anguish. Scream so that whatever god there is can end her misery. Scream so that she knows she isn't dead, because once she was deaf to her own screams, she was dead.
There is no sinner on the face of the Earth who deserves this sort of pain.
---
“Is it done? Is it over?”
“Yes, it is.”
Pulling away from Prince Charming's one armed hug, the girl turned and looked at the charred remnants of a blonde haired blue eyed girl named Amanda. She suppressed a gag at the sight before turning away again, burying her face into Prince Charming's chest. This wasn't the first time she had helped in the purification process. Nor was this the first time she had seen one either. But that never meant it was easier every time. The look in the sinner's eyes as their earthly bodies were destroyed and their souls cleansed. It was torturous. Torturous but necessary.
Prince Charming's stance shifted and the girl felt herself pulled into a full hug. “You ok?” he asked, his thumb stroking her arm.
“Yea, yea, I'm fine.” She pulled away, hand held up to her mouth. She refused to look at the body. It was horrifying. “Can we head back now? I want to get some sleep and someone's bound to notice that we're gone.”
That was half a lie. The full truth was that she wanted to be as far from the body as possible. She didn't know how Prince Charming did it. How he was able to watch as the “unholy ones” were purified. He was the one who tenderly, every so tenderly, brought the body back to the ground once the flames were dying and then tossed the person's wand into the fire. She would never be able to do that.
“Some time tonight would be great, please?” she said, looking over at him. He was looking at Amanda's body. Frustrated, she walked over to Prince Charming and pulled him towards the school. “Come on.”
That did the trick. He turned away from the corpse but the silent seriousness in his eyes unnerved her. “If her soul doesn't go to heaven, even after this, she deserves it, you know?” he said as he reached into the pockets of his gray slacks. “It's her fault if she was so full of sin she can't reach the gates.”
This was too macabre.
“At least we tried,” she said, rubbing her arms from the cold wind. “At least she has a chance.”
Silence again.
She looked up and saw Prince Charming sticking a red lollipop in his mouth. He crumpled up the wrapper and shoved it back into his pockets.
More silence.
The sound of rushing water was far behind them now. The forest was become sparser and the trees looked less vicious and menacing. A large fountain came into view, a long narrow fountain that had been turned off for the night. From where they were standing it looked like black mirror with the stars decorating its surface. Standing behind the fountain was the Academy in all its splendor. It looked like a mansion estate more than anything else. The main building where the classes are being the mansion and the two buildings in the back being the boys and girls dorms.
As they came towards the fountain, Prince Charming came to a stop and looked down at his reflection. The girl stopped a few steps behind him. What was he doing? She was growing more impatient now but held her tongue. Then after a few seconds he turned and looked at her, the lollipop now out of his mouth. He was twirling it between his fingers now before he looked up at the star-filled sky.
“I hope so.”
 
---
Toadstool Academy of Magic and Spellcraft
Somewhere in Washington
June 15 : Principal McKinley's Office : 2:36 pm
He couldn't believe it.
Principal McKinley groaned in frustration as he slammed his fist to his desk, rattling the ink bottles and miniature statues on his desk. He could hardly believe it. With all the security he had placed around campus - all the teachers and staff patrolling the corridors and the grounds, another student still managed to turn up dead like the other two. Body burned, positioned as if they were lying on a cross. Wand broken into three pieces, partially burnt. The worst part about this entire story was the fact that all this happened just a few hours before sunrise, barely even two miles from the school and no one saw, or even heard anything.
Massing his temples, Principal McKinley stared at manila folder lying on his desk. The name Wilkins, Amanda glared at him in black ink. Case number A489E3. When Amanda's body was discovered in the forest that morning by the Academy's groundskeeper, there was no other option but to call the American Magical Enforcement Services immediately. They had been called in secret and everyone agreed that the recent murder should be kept hush hush to the students, at least, until they had to know about it. Once that was decided, the officers started to investigate the scene. They combed through every speck of dirt and blade of grass for some clue as to who killed Miss Amanda Wilkins. They had done the exact same thing three times before with Mr. Edward Fields, Mr. Peter Yanet and Miss Ashley Green. The only thing that set Miss Amanda apart from the other two was that her murder was recent. The body wasn't moved to the front of the school, displayed for everyone to see like the other two. Hers was simply left in the forest where they assumed the body was burned at. The A.M.E.S officers were saying that the murderer didn't have time to move the body, or was planning to move it later.
It didn't matter though. The only thing that mattered was that a girl was killed. By guilt or by curiosity, Principal Wilkins found himself opening the folder and looking at the school portrait of Amanda. She was a pretty girl in her own way. A little heavyset but she had a fair smile with a single dimple on the right side of her face. What was he going to tell her parents?
There was a knock on his office door and Principal Wilkins looked up with a start. He quickly closed Amanda's file and pushed it aside, knocking over a glass vase filled with quills in the process. “Come in,” said Principal Wilkins as he righted the vase, “The door's unlocked. Please, come in.” The door opened and immediately Principal Wilkin's smiled. “Ah, Liam, I had completely forgotten that we had an appointment today. I swear, my mind is going with old age. Please, have a seat and ah, I see you've brought a friend with you. Miss Jenkees, is it?”
“Cassandra. Cassandra Jenkees, sir.”
“Ah, yes, whatever.”
The boy, Liam, flashed a smile at Principal McKinley before settling himself into one of the blue chairs. Principal McKinley had always been fond of Liam. The fifth year boy was one of the finest students to have graced Toadstool Academy. He was talented, excelling in almost every class the school had to offer with little to no trouble. Charismatic, a regular social butterfly. Everyone at Toadstool Academy knew who he was. And he was handsome. Fair skinned with an angelic grace. Clear light brown eyes that were almond shaped. Full lips that were always curved with a kind smile. Some of the girls have taken to calling him a Chinese Prince Charming out of jest. The only thing that both detracted and enhanced his angelic face was his hair. For the love of Merlin, Principal McKinley could never figure out why Liam would go and bleach his natural black hair champagne blond. Still, Liam was the kind of student Principal McKinley had always wanted to be: popular and smart. The kind of student that was destined for great things.
As for Cassandra.
His smile fell to a tight frown as Principal McKinley watch her take the seat next to Liam. The girl was the kind of student Principal McKinley was back when he was fifteen. Quiet. Not popular. Barely noticeable. In short she was plain and average. Her grades weren't top notch except for in Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts. She didn't have very many friends and try as he might Principal McKinley couldn't even remember if she even had any friends aside from Liam. He was an observant man and when he went for his walks around the school he paid attention to which students interacted with others and which ones didn't. No, she did have some students she talked too, but rarely. She was also average in looks. Wavy brown hair that was often times tied back in a low ponytail or let loose to hang to her chest like it was now. Brown eyes that were hidden behind black framed glasses. Spots of acne dotting her barely tanned skin. Yes, she was the kind of student Principal McKinley had little respect for. But since she was Liam's friend, he was willing to make an acceptation.
Once they were seated and settled, Principal McKinley reached over and pushed a bowl of candy over to the two. “Please, help yourselves. Now, what is it that you wanted to talk to me about, Liam? And feel free to take as many as you like. There's plenty more where those came from.”
Cassandra shook her head politely. Liam, though, grinned as he reached over and selected a blue lollipop from the bowl. “Thank you, Principal McKinley,” he said before leaning back into his chair. He then started to twirl the white stem between his fingers. The frown that began to creep across Liam's face started to worry Principal McKinley. “As for our appointment today, it's about...” He trailed off and looked over at Cassandra. She looked back at him and quirked an eyebrow. Liam then closed his eyes and sighed before he looked at Principal McKinley. “I guess there's no other way to say this than to say it. You see, Principal McKinley, with all the recent... occurrences... going on at Toadstool Academy, Cassandra's uncle, my guardian, have been considering...”
“Withdrawing you from the Academy?” finished Principal McKinley.
“Unfortunately, yes.”
Principal McKinley heaved a deep breath and sighed. It was his turn to close his eyes now, that migrane he had been fighting ever since the discovery of Amanda's body was pounding mercilessly against his brain now. This wasn't the first time this year students have been withdrawing from Toadstool Academy. The withdrawals have started ever since the discovery of Peter Yanet's body, sometime in February. When Edward's body was discovered in November, everyone was told that it was a spell on gone wrong. That Edward had misfired a spell and burned himself to death. When Peter's body was found, five students were withdrawn from the Academy. After Ashley's body was discovered in May, ten more students left.
“Are you certain that the both of you will be withdrawing from the Academy?” asked Principal McKinley, looking straight at Cassandra now.
Cassandra nodded, her eyes looking into his. “My uncle has been wanting us to leave since May, but with O.W.Ls and all, Liam and I didn't want to leave. He's afraid... We're all afraid. My uncle also told us to think of this as a blessing. He's been given a position over at the Ministry of Magic in England and well, he wants us to go to England with him. He says its not safe here and with the news he's been hearing there's no wizarding school or wizarding place in general, in America that's safe. The murders haven't just been happening here, they're all over the country. He wants us to continue our education but not here... not in this country. That's the reason why Liam made this appointment.” Reaching into her messenger bag, Cassandra withdrew a stack of papers and placed them out for Principal McKinley to take. “My uncle wants us to move to England with him and attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry instead. These are the transfer papers, we were hoping that you can sign them. My uncle has spoken to the Headmistress at Hogwarts. She has, sort of agreed to allow us to transfer even though it's... unconventional. But then she did agree that the circumstance we're in is unconventional.”
The stack of transfer papers felt like death warrants in his hands when Principal McKinley took them. He glanced over the papers briefly, skimming all the legal BS. Even though he didn't want too, Principal McKinley knew that it was the right thing to do. After all, now principal wants to see his star student get transferred to a new school. Then again, no principal wants to see his star student get brutally murdered either. With a heavy heart, Principal McKinley reached over to one of the quills in his vase, dipped it in ink and started scrawling his signature in all the appropriate places.
“Suppose the Headmistress of Hogwarts, doesn't accept you?” asked Principal McKinley.
Cassandra shrugged as she watched him sign the papers. “Then I guess Liam and I are going to be homeschooled in England then.”
Once everything was signed, Principal McKinley handed the papers back to Cassandra who immediately stuffed them back into the bag. With a polite goodbye, she got up to leave, only to stop at the doorway. For a second, Principal McKinley thought she was going to say something else, a more heartfelt and sad goodbye perhaps. But instead she only told Liam that she was going to class and that she'll see him later. That was it. Principal McKinley frowned and shook his head. “Miss Jenkees, isn't very sociable is she?”
A chuckle escaped Liam's lips as he sat up and nodded. “She isn't too fond of drawn out goodbyes either. She likes things simple and sweet.” He leaned back again, fingers laced across his stomach as Liam looked around the Principal's office. “Secretly she's going to miss the Academy. I know I will.”
“You make friends wherever you go, Liam. I'm sure you'll do fine at Hogwarts. More than fine, perhaps, considering the fact that you're such bright student,” said Principal McKinley.
“But Hogwarts isn't Toadstool. And England is most definitely not America. I mean, come one. Who calls a cookie a biscuit and potato chips, crisps?” Even though he was complaining, it was Liam's light hearted attempt at a joke and Principal McKinley laughed just a bit. “And besides, I'm also willing to bet there isn't going to be a dueling club at Hogwarts. Or a quidditch team that's worth watching.”
It was nice to know that Liam wasn't thrilled about transferring to Hogwarts. But every professor, witch and wizard knew about the reputation Hogwarts carried. Even though Principal McKinley didn't like the idea of seeing his students leave Toadstool, he wasn't going to let them talk down one of the greatest school of magic in history.
“Hogwarts is an excellent school,” said Principal McKinley, “The professors there are the best at what they do and many great witches and wizards have studied there. Albus Dumbledore for instance was the Headmaster there and he was an extraordinary wizard. I met him once, it was an honor to meet a man who dedicated his life to fighting for equality in the wizarding community. And then there was You-know-who, I mean, Lord V-vol-voldemort. I certainly hope he hasn't returned from his grave in England to torment America. Of course, there's also Harry Potter. You might meet some of his children there. I hear that one of them is your age sort of.”
Liam laughed as he got up and started pacing around the office. “Hogwarts might have Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort, but Toadstool will always have me.” At that last bit, Liam shook his head grinning before he turned and looked at Principal McKinley's desk. “Wilkins, Aman- If you don't mind my asking, Principal Wilkins, but what is that?”
Liam was nodding at Amanda's case file. Principal McKinley felt a flush of red enter his face as he reached over to the file to put it away in his desk. The information was top secret, classified until the students positively had to know. But when Principal McKinley picked up the folder and was about to open his drawer, he paused. What harm was there in giving Liam the file to look at? The boy was trustworthy and this might be his last year at Toadstool Academy forever. Without another thought, he gave Liam the file.
There was complete silence as Liam opened the file and looked through the pages. The boy looked thoroughly absorbed into what he was reading. An occasional pause to look at the gruesome pictures before moving on. Once he was finished, Liam slowly closed the file and slid it back to Principal Wilkins. “I knew her,” he said quietly, “She was in my Charms class. I- I never... I never had the guts to tell her I loved her.”
This was news to Principal McKinley. He looked at Liam, wide eyed and shocked before reaching over and placing a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder. Liam pulled away and closed his eyes. He opened the file and took out the school picture of Amanda. “May I keep this?”
Still stunned for words, Principal McKinley nodded. “I-I'm sorry. I didn't know, you liked her. If I did, I wouldn't have-”
Liam shook his head before he slipped the picture into his uniform's breast pocket on the left, right over his heart. “I killed her...”
This was even more shocking.
Principal McKinley stared at Liam dumbfounded. Tears were forming in the other boy's eyes and before he could ask what he meant, Liam launched into an explanation. “I sent her a note. You know, one of those Cupids Note. I wanted to tell her how I felt about her before the end of the year but then- but then I chickened out. I mean, what if she rejected me? What if she liked someone else? I got scared half way sneaking out of the dorms and I went back. I told myself that I was going to find her today in Potions and apologize and tell her I was sorry that I chickened out. When I didn't see her, I thought that it was because she was crying in her room. I mean, it's a big deal with someone gets a Cupids Note. I thought that she told her friends and didn't want them to know that she had been stood up. But this- I- I should have- I should have gone. I could have protected her. I could have-”
Before Liam could continue, Principal McKinley shushed him, patting him on the shoulder. “There wasn't anything you could have done, Liam. And if you had been out there, you could have been killed also. It's not your fault what has happened.”
That seemed to have calmed him down. As a few more tears trickled down Liam's face, Principal McKinley picked out another lollipop from his bowl of sweets and handed it to Liam. A lollipop wasn't going to erase the pain the boy must be feeling, but at least it could ease it.
“Thank you,” said Liam, taking the lollipop. He took a deep breath before stepping back towards the door. “I didn't, really want to say goodbye like this. I mean, I'm usually more the type that says “don't worry, have fun without me” but after seeing this... I-”
“Don't worry about it,” said Principal McKinley, waving Liam off. “Go back to your room and lay down. You can be excused for the rest of the day. You deserve it.”
A grateful smile graced Liam's lips as he turned to leave the room. Before he could though, Principal McKinley stopped him. “Liam, you and Cassandra, you are staying until the end of the semester, correct? It's only a few more days away. Fifteen to be exact.”
Liam paused at the door before he turned and looked at Principal McKinley sadly. He shook his head. “Our plane is leaving for England at the end of this week.”
And those were the last words Liam said before closing the door behind him.
---
He was taking longer than he was suppose to in Principal McKinley's office and Cassandra didn't like it one bit.
Fidgeting with the strap of her bookbag, Cassandra continuously glanced down the hallway waiting for Liam to hurry it up so she could discuss the final plan with him. Then again, this was Liam she was talking about and Liam was never one to be on time, especially when socializing was involved. Several students walked pass Cassandra, barely noticing that she was there. The ones that did only gave her a cursory glance before hurrying on their way. This was the routine ever since he second year at Toadstool Academy.
During the first year, everyone would try to talk to her, befriend her and suck up to her because they all wanted to get to know Liam. The guys wanted to get to know him to see exactly how much of a threat he was. The girls were the worse, they were always asking for his number. By the time all of them realized that Cassandra wasn't particularly helpful in getting them closer to Liam, they started to ignore her. And she liked it, no she preferred it that way.
As she waited, a familiar face caught her eye and Cassandra smiled. An African American girl with large blue eyes and curly hair walked up to Cassandra. “Hey, what's up? You waiting for someone or something?”
Cassandra nodded. “Hey, Brianna. And, yea, Liam. We just finalized everything. Got McKinley to sign the transfer papers and next week we're boarding a plane to England. What about you? I heard you and Gregory were transferring to a school somewhere in Europe also. France, was it?”
Brianna nodded before pulling out a folder from her bookbag. “Yup, you heard right. Got the papers right here. I was just about to stop by McKinley's to get them signed but it seems as if you and Prince Charming got there first. We're going to some French school called Beauxbatons. I'm not all that hyped about it. I mean, the only upside to this whole arrangement is that you and Liam are close by. We should totally hang out or something. Hell, maybe you can pull a few strings and get us into Hogwarts. I mean, I heard you and Liam are tight with the Saint. That's the whole reason why the both of you are going to Hogwarts. It's because he trusts you to take down the big dog.”
“Keep it down, Brianna,” hissed Cassandra. Her eyes darted about the hallway. Even though they were speaking quietly, there was still the off chance that someone heard them talking. Frowning, Cassandra shook her head and sighed. Brianna was right about her and Liam being two of the Saint's favorite hunters. But that didn't mean they had any more power than the next member. “Whenever you want to hang out, just owl me. But I don't think we're allowed to keep in contact with each other. Not at first. Anyways-”
“Cassandra! Brianna! How are you lovely ladies, doing?”
Sometimes the sound of Liam's voice was just a little bit annoying.
Turning around, Cassandra watched as Liam sauntered over her and Brianna, his bookbag swinging ever so casually at his side. He was wearing his Cheshire grin, which meant he had done something he was extremely happy or proud of. It was his “cat that caught the canary smile.”
“Someone's in a good mood,” said Brianna, walking over to give Liam. The two of them exchanged a quick friendly hug and pecks on the cheek.
“Not really, I mean, the love of my life just got brutally murdered. I'm supposed to be in mourning,” said Liam, “What about you, Brianna? Heading over to McKinley's? I suggest you wait a bit before asking him to transfer out of here. It'd be kinda suspicious if we do it on the same day.”
“Yea, I guess so,” said Brianna, looking at the folder wistfully. With a graceful shrug, she placed the folder back in her bag and waved at the both of them, “Well, since I can't go to McKinley's might as well grab a bite to eat. Hey, I'll catch you guys later alright?”
As they waved Brianna off, Cassandra turned to Liam the instant Brianna was out of sight. She quirked an eyebrow at him and folded her arms across her chest. “You told McKinley about the Cupids Note? You told him, you sent it? Why?”
“Must we really talk about this in a hallway full of students?” asked Liam as he unwrapped his lollipop, “And you know why. Just think for a little bit and you'll figure it out.”
“Yea, you did it for attention,” said Cassandra, rolling her eyes. She and Liam weren't exactly best friends and yet they were. She depended on him, trusted him more than anyone she knew. And she was certain he felt the same way with her. But there were times, times like these, when she could hardly understand him at all. “Why are you such a drama king? I mean, you're always putting up an act, I don't know if you' even capable of feelings deeper than a spilled milk.”
Liam turned and grinned at Cassandra, the lollipop still in his mouth. “My feels are real. At least when I'm with the right people.”
Slapping Liam across the arm, Cassandra scoffed. “That has got to be the fakest smile out of you yet,” she said before sighing. “Anyways, I really should head to class. Where are you going?”
That grin became sharper as Liam withdrew the picture of Amanda from his pocket. When she saw the picture, Cassandra felt herself freeze. She quickly averted her eyes and set her mouth into a thin line.
“I'm heading to the owlery. Gotta report back to the Saint and tell him mission complete.”
Cassandra nodded. “Yea, you do that.”
A sigh escaped his lips as Liam walked over and hugged Cassandra. This came as a surprise to her. This was the first time Liam had hugged her in public. The brief friendly hugs and incessant annoying ones didn't count because the first one was reflex and the second one was to bother her and anyone else who had a personal bubble. The hug was brief, but genuinely kind. It was a hug an older brother would give to a younger sibling but only to be embarrassed at the last minute.
“We're doing the right thing Cassie.”
To that, Cassandra could only nod. She knew they were. They were saving lives and saving souls. Having magic is not normal. It's an abomination to mankind. Destroying the wizarding world, purifying souls, that was the only way they can redeem themselves and save as many lives as possible.
“I know we are.”