Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Arriving ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5

Julia discussed her plan with Alucard, Seres and the helicopter pilot while they waited for sunset. They where about ten miles from Vashnicalf’s castle, close enough to reach it quickly but far enough away to avoid detection. Alucard has grudgingly agreed to hide his power for the time being so Vashnicalf would not sense him coming.

Julia was doing the same, but Seres was too young of a vampire to be able to do so. Julia could only hope Vashnicalf would not pay too much mind to a vampire of Seres strength coming near the castle. The castle was after all a gathering place for vampires.

The three vampires would have to travel to the castle on foot through the snow covered woodlands. Julia had at first thought to take the form of a bird and fly, but then remembered Seres was not yet strong enough able to change her form.

Julia considered questioning Alucard on the wisdom of taking such a new fledgling on so dangerous mission. The police girl was only beginning to understand her true powers. They would be in a place full of powerful members of their own kind. Seres might not be a match for the opponents she would face, but Alucard seemed to trust in her abilities so Julia decided she should too.

Julia addressed Seres first.

“Seres you’ll be in charge of rescuing Tobias. You’ll be the first of us to enter the castle. When we get close enough I’ll be able to use my second sight to see where Tobias is and tell you how to get to him. When you find Tobias get him out of the castle and back to the helicopter. Don’t wait for me or Alucard. Try to stay in the shadows and avoid being seen. If you are found by another vampire fight them if you think you can win, and run if you can’t. If your captured ask them to take you to the owner of the castle. That will delay them from killing you and give one of us time to come to your aid. Got that?”

“My job will be to be the distraction. Once I know your in the castle I’ll enter through the front gate and head directly for Vashnicalf. He’ll probably be in the main hall. I’ll confront him, but not fight him. Julia glanced at Alucard checking his blank expression to see if he would be willing to do as she said. When he made no indication of saying anything she explained his role to him.

“Alucard you should follow close after me through your own concealed means. When I tell Vashnicalf that I have brought him a worthy opponent it will be your cue to appear. While the two of you fight I will slip away and go to help Seres and Tobias if they have not made it to the helicopter yet. We’ll wait for you in the helicopter unless we have to leave quickly for some reason. If that is the case, I trust you should be able to fend for yourself and meet back up with us in St. Petersburg. The same goes for the rest of us if we get separated. So are you both ready?”

Seres nodded decisively, an expression of determination on her face. She would not fail in the task entrusted to her.

“Enough talk, the moon has risen and a fight awaits me. Lets go,” said Alucard standing and clicking a magazine of bullets into his gun. Julia smiled and pulled the door at the side of the helicopter open. The three vampires slipped silently out into the sub artic night, moving as swiftly as wolves through the forest.

When they where half way to the castle Alucard froze in mid step, and turned slowly to face the east. His expression was tense and alert, like a hound that has scented a wolf and is eager to pursue. Seres too froze but her eyes where wide with fear. Julia let her senses branch out across the area until she found what was affecting her companions.

There was a man about two mile away and moving quickly toward the castle. Julia could sense he had powers beyond that of a normal human. When she tried to look into his mind to find who he was all she found was tangled memories, hatred, frustration, faith, and determination. He was more insane than Alucard, and probably more dangerous. He actually had a purpose.

“Who is he?” she asked softly.

“The paladin Anderson,” said Alucard not bothering to glance at her. “It appears we are not the only ones who have business here tonight.” Julia had heard of the regenerate before and knew to be wary of him. More than one acquaintance of her’s had met their end on the paladins shining blades. He was said to be mad, and the fact that he was heading alone to face a din of vampires, and her short glance into his mind, convinced Julia this suspicion.

“He was headed for the castle, we need to get there first. Tobias won’t have a chance, if he get to him before we do. I can sense Tobias’s weakened state from here, he won‘t be able to defend himself.” Alucard did not respond, but Seres heard Julia’s words and spoke to Alucard,

“Master, please don’t fight him now. You need to fight Vashincalf first.” Alucard seemed to return to his senses begrudgingly, though the battle lust was still in his eyes.

“let’s go,” he said and began to run through the snow again. The two females hesitated for a moment then followed.