Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Final Battles ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 7

Alucard materialized from the very shadows of the room. From the moment he took form, his and Vashnicalf’s eyes where locked. They tensed like two dogs preparing to fight. Then in a moment they where at each others’ throats. Alucard had his Jackal drawn and firing, while Vashnicalf slashed at him with an ornate saber drawn from a sheath at his waist.

Each vampire gave and received damage from the other, but in the next instant was healed. The other vampires in the room where wisely fleeing quickly, not wanting to get caught in the cross fire. Julia thought to help the human girls, but when she looked to the corner, where they had been, they where gone having wisely fled with the vampires.

Julia too slipped silently from the room. She realized the fight between the two vampires no longer had anything to do with her. Alucard and Vashnicalf where not fighting over her, or for power, or any logical reason. They where just two monsters testing each others strength to see who was stronger. They fought to do violence and receive violence, to cause pain and feel pain. It was all purely for the sake of battle.

Julia took the form of shadow again as she hurried through the halls she could sense that Seres was having trouble. Suddenly something struck her forcing her to return to her solid form. She pulled a bayonet from her left shoulder, only in time to be struck by five more, all mercifully missing her heart but still lodging in her back.

She turned to see father Anderson looking at her with a mad gleam in his eyes, silver blades in hand. She could smell vampire blood one him. She dodged out of the way and more bayonets came her way. She tried to change to shadows again but the blessed silver of the knives within her bound her to her human form.

Desperately she dove again as more knives flew. Anderson was laughing and mocking her, calling her evil incarnated, saying he would send her back to hell. If Julia had been a young vampire she would have felt fear, but she knew for all his insanity the worst the Paladin could give her was death, and she was far to old to fear death. Still she knew the paladin was stronger than her, and if she slipped up even in the slightest he would destroy her.

She couldn’t die now she still had to help Tobias. Julia saw her opening and lunged at Anderson bringing one of his own knives through his throat but more importantly her hand to his forehead.

Normally she could kill a human with no more than a touch, but with Anderson it didn’t work. He just flung her away and pulled the knife out of his own neck grinning manically and threw it back at her. Julia saw she could not fight him as she would any normal human or vampire. She would have to destroy him from the inside out.

As she tried to avoid his blades, she blocked out the sound of his words and looked into his mind. Though normally the paladin’s force of will would have been was strong enough to keep her out, he was too overcome by battle lust to realize her presence. Julia reached through the tangle threads of the priests memories until she found what she was looking for.

It was a memory locked away deep inside and filled with enough pain to paralyze. It had something to do with a vampire but Julia didn’t look to closely. She pulled the memory forcefully to the front of Anderson’s mind making him relive it.

Anderson’s eyes went black as he was trapped in his own memory and he sank to the floor dropping the blade he was prepared to throw. Julia took her chance and pulled the knives from herself her hand shaking slightly. She had received a great number of gashes and the holy nature of the blades made the wounds slow to close. She become shadows once again and fled. She knew Anderson would not be trapped by the memory long.

She followed the feel of Seres and Tobia’s energy. As she grew closer she could sense Tobias’s pain. If it where possible for a vampire to be on the edge of their second death, he was. His mind was a turmoil of agony with the threat of insanity at it’s edges. She tried to speak with him through a mental link and tell him she was coming, but he was too far gone to hear her.

She could sense fear and determination from the Police Girl. Seres was fighting two other vampires, one of which was slightly more powerful than her the other weaker.
Julia followed the corridors to beneath the castle to the dungeon. She returned to her human form and ran along the cold stone floors.

She was in a stone hallway lined on either side by heavy oak doors. In front of one of these doors Seres was fighting two vampires. The more powerful one had the appearance of a young man with raven hair. He was stabbing at Seres with a sword, while the weaker vampire who carried the form of a girl in her late teens with blond hair, distracted Seres leaping around her slashing at her with a dagger.

The more powerful vampire sensed Julia and turned away from police girl letting the girl handle Seres. Julia pulled two twin silver daggers from within her cloak and dove at the young man. He blocked the dagger in her right hand with his sword but missed the one in her left.

Julia stabbed him through the heart and he crumpled to the floor. Julia hated to kill her own kind and would normally have found a way to incapacitate him, but the sent of her fledglings blood drew out the monster within her.

Seres, who was now facing only one vampire was able to take the advantage and shoot the vampire girl with a hand gun. Alucard had advised her to carry a smaller weapon for this assignment. He had wisely foreseen she would be fighting in close quarters where her larger weapon would have been useless.

Julia ran passed Seres hardly taking any mind of her and kicked the door to the cell open. She rushed in to find Tobias. On the far end of the cell a boy who could have been no older than thirteen was chained to the wall, with silver chains covered in runes. The pale skin of his bare chest was covered in wounds and gashes a few still bleeding, there where unhealed bite marks on his neck. The only clothes left on him where his torn trousers.

His semi long, curly, brown hair clung to his bloodied face. He hung loosely in his bonds too weary to even lift his head to see who had entered the room. Julia hurried too him and broke the bonds from his wrists, wincing as the blessed silver burned her hands. Gently she lowered Tobias down cradling him against herself.

Very weakly he opened his eyes and looked up at her. “Julia,” he managed to whisper. “I knew you would come.”

“It’s okay I’m here now,” she said to him then glanced up at Seres who was watching them uncertainly.
“He need blood. I’m going to have to give him some of mine. I’ll be helpless when he’s feeding him and I don’t think he has enough control not to take to much. If he doesn’t stop feeding when I tell him too, pull him off me as quickly as you can. If I’m unable to speak I’ll raise two fingers.”

Police girl thought to protest and tell Julia it was too dangerous. Alucard had long ago warned her to never let another vampire feed from her, unless it was too sire a fledgling. A vampires strength lay in their blood and it was a terrible risk to let another vampire take any of it. Julia would be giving a great deal of her strength to Tobias.

The desperate look in Julia’s eyes silence any warning Seres might have said. It was clear Julia knew what she was doing. Julia took one of the silver daggers and drew it strait across the wrist of her left arm. She held the open wound up to Tobias’s lips. His eyes went wide and he tried to pull away.

“No, I won’t be able to control myself I’ll take too much!” he protested weakly.

“It’s okay Tobias. If you take to much Seres will pull you away. Now feed, I’m not carrying you out of here.”

That was all the incentive Tobias needed and his hunger took control of him. He latched onto Julia’s wrist feeding desperately. Julia felt a gentle calm come over her as she held her injured fledgling, her own life blood pouring into him.

She felt as if she were floating and her own will and sense of self preservation began to dissolve. Even when she realized Tobias had taken a dangerous amount she could hardly muster the will to protest.

“Tobias stop,” she managed to mumble, too softly for Seres to hear. but he didn’t. “Tobias stop!” she said to Tobias in her thoughts no longer able to form words. Still Tobias bound by his hunger could not obey.

Weakly Julia forced her right hand to flex and lifted two fingers. Within seconds the police girl moved forward and yanked Tobias sharply away from her. Tobias struggled against Seres but she held him in a firm grip his hands behind his back until he calmed. Slowly the blood lust faded from his eyes. Tobias sank to his knees in front of Julia who was slowly trying to sit up, still dizzy from blood loss.

“Master, please forgive me.”

“It’s alright Tobias,” said Julia managing to stand with Seres’s help. “I didn’t expect you to be in control in your weakened state. Now stand up, lets get you out of this hell.”


Converting /tmp/phpqsfVhu to /dev/stdout