Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ Coming To An End ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Thess.

Pairing/Interaction: Integral Hellsing and Alexander Anderson.

Setting: Possible ending of the manga events, otherwise AU.

----

Coming to an End

"I never thought the day I mourn a protestant sow would come, Hellsing… But it seems I was mistaken, lass…"

Integral lifted her lashes, trying to keep them open. But they were so heavy… and she felt so weak. How she hated that. Weakness that bought pity in the Catholic's heart. She had her pride.

The Hellsing could barely distinguish Anderson's figure through broken and stained lenses. Covered with blood. Her blood.

"Did we win…?" Integral coughed her question while trying to move. But it was a fruitless attempt, her abdomen had been impaled to the floor with a pole. Major's sick attempt at humor to deliver her to Alucard. He wasn't a skilled Impaler as her servant was.

"Aye, lass… ye killed the beast, God blessed yer sword," The Paladin replied, gesturing towards the wall where Max's body was hanging. The sabre through his throat still leeching his dark liquid out of the wound in his neck. The Major's features were twisted between horror, surprise and victory.

"Good…. Alucard will be angry," Integral commented, crying out in pain when Anderson pulled out the sharp stick from her. "He missed his war." Her lips pursed into a bitter smirk.

"That's not the only thing the Devil will be furious about," Alexander commented, eyeing her wounds. Too deep, if Integral were a regenerator she would make it. But she wasn't.

Integral laughed, not minding that her core hurt when she did so. "He will be free, you really think that he harbors human feelings? My, Paladin, defending your arch-nemesis now?"

Anderson gave a slight shrug, "He's a demon hound. Evil, aye, but still yer dog, thus loyal in some disgusting way." The catholic gnashed his teeth at the thought of the vampire.

"I suppose you are right, Anderson… Perhaps the bloodloss has affected my brain already," Integral chuckled, trying her best to stay awake.

For several minutes there was silence between both of them, the two reluctant to talk to each other. There was too much hatred inbred in their mutual fanatism.

"This is the proper time fer a confession…" Anderson proposed.

"I'm protestant, Anderson. I answer to God, not to you and your Pope."

"A conversation then?"

"Why you would want to have a conversation with a protestant, Father?" Integral taunted. Anderson growled, hitting the floor with his fists, restraining his psychotic mannerisms for the time being. "Fine," she conceded. "What you would want to talk about with a dying Hellsing?"

"Do ye have any regrets?"

"Apart of ruining my expensive cigars with my nasty blood?" Integral asked with her trademark dark humor. Anderson didn't bother to reply that and waited for her to finish. "Perhaps this should be the time for wishing that I hadn't sent Alucard away to fight that Navy… or left Walter… If they were with me, I wouldn't be dying right now. And Alucard wouldn't be soon free to twist and maim the world to his unholy image. I should wish that, but I don't."

"Why not?"

"I'm a Hellsing, Paladin. We cannot accept failure or defeat."

"Pride is a sin."

"So is rage. Both, you and I, are sinners, then."

Anderson scoffed, crossing his arms at her barb. Even in death she had to remain ever unperturbed. He noticed her arms were trembling and took out his coat to cover her with it.

"Thank you. Death is cold but not painful… in fact, it's the opposite, it's numb."

"Do ye wish anything else?" Anderson asked hesitantly, wondering why he was comforting the sow. Perhaps the fact they were brief comrades in arms against the undead deserved his respect. If only a sparkle of it.

"Yes," Integral replied weakly, her pulse rate and breathing almost vanishing. "Describe me the end of the world once we meet in Heaven…"

Anderson grinned maniacally.

"There's something we know fer sure, the Virgin dinnae give birth and the Dragon devoured her."