Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ Berlin Pastiche ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Urwen.

Pairing/Interaction: Wolfe Heinkel and Schroedinger.

----

Berlin Pastiche

A little girl in a blue dress was curled up behind a dustbin in a dirty corner of a dirty street. Her grimy face was streaked with tears. She tried to squash further into her hiding place. Perhaps if she hid well enough, the boys would not find her. Her dress was covered in filth. Sister Ilse would be very angry at her for getting so dirty and might even slap her, although it was not her fault, she had had to get this dirty to get away from the street children. It was then that she heard slow, quiet footsteps, soft and slinking. Like a cat.

A face appeared around the side of the dustbin and grinned. It was a boy.. of some kind. The girl shrank back again. The boy had little black ear-like things on the sides of his head, and when he grinned, his teeth were rather pointed. He wore some kind of uniform, the slightly-too-short shorts exposing bare white legs.

'It's all right.' He said. 'They've gone.'

The girl nodded. The boy was older than her, but had a kind, friendly face, and she trusted friendly faces easily. In time, she would learn not to. She crawled out of the corner, wiping her face and smearing streaks across her cheeks.

'You must be from the orphanage. What's your name, liebschen?'

'Wolfe.'

'Wolfe? Funny name for a girl.'

Wolfe's face fell. She adjusted her glasses, mended with tape where the frames had broken, to hide her eyes.

The boy smiled. 'You don't chase cats, do you, wolf-cub?'

Wolfe laughed a little and covered her mouth. She shook her head.

'Little aryan wolf-cubs shouldn't be running around alone in the big city. I'll take you back to the orphanage.' He offered his hand. Wolfe took it.

As they walked back towards the orphanage, Wolfe didn't notice the strange looks passers by gave the boy. She was too engrossed him. She was almost sad when they reached the church gates and he stopped, and folded his arms behind his back.

'Here we are. Auf wiedersehen, wolf-cub.'

Wolfe nodded, then stood up on tiptoe and kissed him lightly on the cheek. His eyes widened in surprise and he put a hand to his cheek as she pulled away. She quickly ran through the gate and down the path that ran behind the church to the orphanage. Half way down she turned, looked back and waved.

But he was already gone.