Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Old and New ❯ Chapter 12 - ADRIAN ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Hellsing.

AN: This one took me a while to write, I hope you enjoy this one.

Old and New

Chapter 12 - ADRIAN

Anderson soon found where the FREAKs were kept.

He found himself in a room filled with tanks. They were tall and cylindrical. Being made of clear glass, they were easy to peer into.

These tanks were keeping these monsters alive. He severed all of the power cords. It lacked the satisfaction of ripping through flesh, but he wasn't going to invite trouble.

A cold voice behind him chilled his spine. "What, exactly, do you think you are doing?" He whirled around. The room he was in was dimly lit. The light from the hallway obscured the man standing in the doorway, so that the only thing seen was a silhouette.

Anderson flung a knife at the man, aiming for the heart. The stranger caught it by the blade. He held it at his side, blood dripped from where it cut into his hand. He appeared not to notice.

"What? Who are you!" Anderson demanded.

The man stepped closer, stalking, like a predator. Still his features were unseen. Anderson could make out a slim but muscular build and long dark red hair. "I am Adrian." The smooth cold voice flowed around Anderson. "And you are mine."

***

"Well, we might as well open this." Pip nudged the metal briefcase with his foot. He was sitting down across from Seras.

He pulled the briefcase over to him. It had a small lock on it. He pulled out a knife and used it to pry open the lock. With a loud snap, the case opened.

Fitted snugly inside insulation foam, were three glass vials filled with a reddish fluid and a thin flat black case.

Pip picked up one of the vials. He inspected it closely. The fluid was the color of blood, but it didn't have the right texture to it, being thicker. Plus, why would someone keep blood in a metal briefcase? Then he remembered where he was; anything was possible with these loons.

He picked up the black case next; it contained an unmarked CD. "Huh." He looked around the room. He stood up and walked over to one corner of it.

Seras, wrapped up in her own thoughts, didn't notice he had gotten up. She didn't look up till she spied a white fuzzy glow out of the corner of her eye.

Pip had turned on a television that stood in the corner of the room. He inserted the disk into a CD player underneath it. The image of Dr. Aster appeared on screen. He spoke to the camera.

"This is a compilation of the record tapes of the last fifty years of our research. Some of the tapes were damaged, so it is in bits and pieces. I have made this compilation so that all shall some day know of my great work." Dr. Aster smiled broadly.

Seras appeared behind Pip, leaning over his shoulder.

A fuzzy image appeared on the screen next. Slowly the picture cleared. It showed the inside of a lab. A team of scientists moved back and forth across the camera. In the background there was a row of large cylindrical tanks. They were made of thick glass and filled with a clear fluid.

"We begin our first experiment today." One of the scientists was saying.

Dr. Aster appeared on screen. "Yes. Make sure no harm comes to the samples, it is all we have."

Pip turned to Seras. "Odd. That's Dr. Aster there, but I thought that the tapes this CD was made from were from fifty years ago. He doesn't look any different."

Seras studied the man on the screen. His eyes were different here, without that hint of the monster she had seen before. "Maybe that is Dr. Aster senior." She said. She continued watching raptly.

One of the scientists picked up a vial. The scene was in black and white, but Pip was sure that it was the same type of vial and fluid that was in the three vials from the case.

The scientist inserted a syringe into the vial, drawing some of the thick blood-like fluid from it. He then placed a drop under a microscope. The rest he placed in a small square machine. He pressed a button on the machine and it whirred to life. He left it to its work while he looked at the specimen under the scope.

His expression turned doubtful. He looked over to Dr. Aster. "Are you sure that this sample will be usable?"

Dr. Aster smiled at him. "That is what we are here to find out."

***

Alucard looked at the plastic ID card in his hand. Then he looked at the giant metal vault door with the words: "PROJECT ADRIAN" written over it.

He swiped the card into the card reader. A light on it changed from red to green. There was the sound of hydraulics and the giant door swung open.

He entered a lab that was apparently not in use anymore. Everything was clean and neat, but everything was also covered in sheets.

He began pulling off sheets.

***

"Year five, day 21. We have succeed in creating a living specimen." There was pride in Dr. Aster's voice, as if he had fathered a child.

Indeed, to himself, he had.

In one of the large tanks a small baby floated, suspended in the fluid. A cord ran to the stomach.

It was an altogether eerie sight.

***

Sheet after sheet was removed, showing test machines, data computers, jars with organs suspended in fluid.

Things that had not been used for many years. This area had been shut down.

Why?

***

"Year 7, day 12. Subject has reached pre-pubescent growth. We have set up a programming device inside of the tank. Anything that we wish the subject to learn, we will program. Without a program such as this, our specimen would be a mindless husk.

"We will also use this program to make certain that he can be controlled."

***

"Year 10, day 83. After only five short years, the subject has reached full growth. We have proven that nothing can hinder the power of science." Dr. Aster faced a semi-circle of scientists; there were some new faces, some old.

The lab equipment had been set aside. This was a time of celebration. In the background was one large cylindrical tank, covered in a sheet.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Today, we have achieved something no other part of Millenium has done." Dr. Aster put a hand on the sheet. "We have succeeded in cloning a vampire!" He pulled the sheet from the tank.

Seras covered her mouth with her hands, holding back a scream.

***

There was row upon row of large cylinders covered with sheets. Alucard reached up and pulled a sheet from one of them.

His own face stared blankly back at him.

He backed up; a feeling that was almost fear stirred within him. He looked down the row of covered tanks, at the row after that. Row upon Row, filling the large space. "What- what is this?!" He roared.

"They would be my brothers." A cold voice answered.

Alucard turned. A man wearing his face stood behind him. He wore black leather over his slim body. His shoulders were broad. His eyes burned with a fire that Alucard couldn't recognize. His hair was red, the color of newly spilled blood. This young man looked so much like himself. But there was a difference in him that was more noticeable than the hair. His body sang with life, vitality surged through him. A person other than a vampire would have called it youth.

"Who are you?" Alucard asked. His anger lay just beneath the surface, waiting.

"I am Adrian." He said simply. "I was made in this room." He looked up at the ceiling, almost wistful.

"Made?" Alucard's voice was like death.

"Millenium and Dr. Aster created me. Shortly after you nearly destroyed them fifty years ago. I assume that you are Alucard." Adrian smiled. It held no humor in it, just wry-ness. Alucard could see his fangs. He continued. "During the last fight they had obtained a sample of your substance. You couldn't blame them for thinking the way they did. You almost destroyed them. Imagine if they had something like you on their side. What about ten of something like you." He held up his hands, gesturing to the room around them. "What about fifty? A hundred? They would be unstoppable."

Adrian bowed his head. "I was the first. I knew their plans." He tapped the side of his head. "They fed it all to me while I was in that tank." His face hardened. He looked up at Alucard through his lashes. "I wasn't going to be a tool, though. So when they woke me, I slaughtered them." His voice was cold and hard, like ice. "I kept Dr. Aster as my servant. I shut down this room. So they would not make any more of me."

"And the FREAKs?" Alucard asked. Anyone who knew him would have been frightened by how quiet he had been until now.

"Those I used to lure you here. Right before I took Dr. Aster, he was ranting and raving at me, calling me his son. But he is not my father." Adrian spat. "The only person who can make that claim is you." He looked Alucard full in the face now. "So I lured you here. I didn't expect the two mice, or the rat. But they turned out to be no trouble."

"Now that you have me here. What are your plans?" He had his hand in his coat, ready to draw Jackal.

***

Seras eyes were widened with horror. She watched as the scientists released Adrian. She watched as Adrian's hand shot out, grabbing one by the throat. She couldn't look away when Adrian squeezed the life out of one of the men who had given him life. The others backed away, frightened. Guards tried to restrain Adrian, but he slew them both. One he threw into the camera and it went out.

She was released from the spell of the screen. Her body trembled. That was a monster. An abomination. She had to warn- "Master!" She screamed both mentally and physically. "MASTER!" But she got no response. Her master did not answer her.

Then weakness washed over her, the room spun. She felt hands on her shoulders and a voice in her ear that was very far away. She wasn't sure if it was the voice that was so far away, or that she was so far from her ears.

She sat up suddenly. When had she gotten on the floor? Pip sat beside her. He face was a mix of concern and accusation. When he spoke his voice was hard, but quiet. Some stronger emotion was being held back. "If you had blood, would you be able to open the door?" He spoke slowly, making his query perfectly clear. She could tell now that the suppressed emotion was anger.

She tried to get to her feet, but he grabbed her wrist, pulling her back down. She struggled in vain.

"What's wrong?" His voice still had that same hard tightness. "Can't you break out of my grasp? How about throwing me across the room? You've done it before, why not now?"

"I-" Her mind scrambled for something to tell him, something that wasn't the truth.

He leaned close to her. "If you had blood, would you be able to open the door?" He repeated. She looked down. "Well." He said. He released her hand and reached up and unwound his braid from around his neck.

Seras head snapped up sharply. She watched as he pulled his collar down, exposing his neck. He shut his eyes, as if in expectation of the executioner's block. His face screwed up, waiting for pain.

She stared at him.

Slowly he opened one eye. "What are you waiting for?" He asked. His expression changed to one of irritation.

`He means it.' Seras looked at his face and knew. He was prepared for it. He would give her blood if she needed it.

A strange feeling washed over her. Slowly she pushed her legs underneath her, so that she was resting on her knees. Nervously she placed her hands on his hips, leaning over him. She was glad her heart could no longer beat. It would be fluttering wildly now and probably get stuck in her throat.

Still she couldn't quell her nervousness. She had never been close to a man like this before. Slowly she lowered her mouth to his neck.

Pip felt the sharp sting of pain as her fangs bit into his flesh. It was surprisingly not as unpleasant as he thought. He felt her hands tighten on his hips as she tasted his blood. She leaned closer to him; her breasts brushed his chest lightly. His body reacted. His veins felt like fire. He kept his hand at his sides and tried not to moan.

Seras felt his body stiffen. She ignored it and focused entirely on his blood. This was something else new to her. She had never drunk from anyone like this. She swallowed slowly. Once. Twice. Then she drew her mouth away. She licked her lips, savoring the taste, wanting more. She ran her tongue over the wound, taking the last couple of drops while sealing the cuts. She felt him shiver and her body went cold. She was enjoying this while he was frightened.

Pip was very much aroused now. He gasped in relief when she stood up, looking away from him. He stood up as well. Without thinking he reached out a hand to her arm. "Seras." His voice was thick and husky. She turned back to him. Just one kiss, he would steal just one.

Her expression stopped him. She was looking at the ground, shame and sadness written clearly on her face. His mind grasped for something to say. "Are you okay now? Can you break down the door?"

"Yes." She said and turned away from him.

Seras faced the door. She inspected it while her body lay in turmoil. She had enjoyed his pain. His pain had aroused her. Hate for herself washed through her. She focused it on the door. Slowly she pulled back her arm; her hand balled into a fist. Aiming for the dent she had made previously, she punched with all her might. A scream of rage escaped her throat as her fist connected and the door flew off. It crashed into hallway, banging into the opposite wall.

Pip watched her closely. He could feel her anger rolling off of her still, and guessed at its cause. He couldn't let her hate herself. "Seras wait." He stood in front of her.

They were close to the same height and he found himself gazing directly into those burning crimson eyes. He leaned and brushed his lips against hers lightly. "In case we don't get out of here alive, I just wanted to do that once." Then he turned and walked down the hallway.

Seras blinked in surprise, her anger forgotten. What had just happened?

`There is no time. You must warn Alucard.' Her thoughts said sternly.

***

Adrian studied his father. He had called him that in his mind long before today. He wasn't sure why though. What had Alucard done to deserve to be called his father? He had only supplied the sample, and not willingly.

The only people he had ever known, the scientists working for Millenium, had wanted to control him, make him into their tool. He had to know what Alucard thought of him, if he would try to use him as well. And, there was something else.

"I lured you here to test your strength, to see if a copy can stand up to the original." Adrian said.

"If that is the only reason, you wasted your time. I don't not waste my energy on those that are weak." Alucard turned to go.

Adrian's hands clenched in rage. "Am I so far below you then?" He shouted at Alucard's back. "That you, the great Alucard, won't even deign to fight me?" He reached out to grab Alucard's shoulder.

Suddenly he was staring down the barrel of Jackal. "Do you wish to die so badly?" Alucard asked him, his voice was so quiet, and so dangerous.

Adrian's face took on a determined cast. "I am as much vampire as you." He said.

Alucard chuckled softly. "No, boy," He stressed the word. "You are not vampire." He slid Jackal down from the Adrian's face, down to his chest. "Your heart beats." He pressed the gun into his ribs, to emphasize his point. "I do not know what you are, but you are not vampire, just as you are not human."

"Then kill me now, for I have nothing left." Adrian's crimson eyes never left Alucard's.

AN: Well, that chapter is done. Before I start on the next one, I have to know how everyone feels about Adrian. I know that some don't like OOC's but I want to hear the opinions. So please review and tell me what you think. Adrian is only a small part of the story that I'm trying to make, I want to know whether I should make his role a bigger one or not.