Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Old and New ❯ Chapter 14 - Troubled ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Hellsing.

Old and New

Chapter 14 - Troubled

Integra shut the door of her office. Once she was safely inside away from prying eyes, she let her façade down. She fairly trembled as she made her way to the desk. She sat behind her desk and leaned back in the chair. She closed her eyes, but behind her eyelids she saw those burning wine red eyes again.

God, he looked just like him.

Not quite, the hair was a major difference, but those eyes… Plus he looked younger. Adrian didn't have those years of experience bearing down on his shoulders. Still, now, every time she saw him, her mind would go to Alucard.

Alucard had been haunting her thoughts of late. When she slept, she saw his form. When she was awake she expected him to be around every corner, hoping to surprise her and read her carefully concealed thoughts.

Two things. There were two things concerning Alucard that occupied her mind, things she did not want him picking up on.

One was his offer of blood. The idea of such power that he offered was getting more and more alluring with each passing day. She would be able to rule Hellsing forever… by becoming the very thing she fought. That was what stopped her. Vampires were unholy, bestial thing. Even Seras, try as she might, would someday forget the human values that she upheld. Though Integra had never heard of a vampire lasting so long the way she does.

Seras gave Integra a small hope. If Seras could control the vampiric instinct and beat it, then Integra might be able to as well. But Seras couldn't control it. Not yet. So Integra watched and waited, to see if the vampire within would one-day break through and control Seras, if she would finally lose her battle.

The second thing was slightly more troublesome, partly because it was more prominent, and more embarrassing. It had started at night. Just before she would go to sleep in her big empty bed. It had started in idleness, just casual wondering. She almost didn't realize at first how attracted to Alucard she was. Now… she wanted him, badly.

But there were drawbacks here as well. She only went by his appearance. She had no idea what he felt like. She did recall at one time kissing him, had he felt warm to her? It was so long ago and she had been so angry afterward. She had tried to force it out of her mind. Had he been warm, or cold like the grave? She couldn't remember anymore.

These thoughts plagued her too much and too often. She wanted so much to have him press his lips to hers again, but she knew that if he was cold, if he really felt dead… she wouldn't be able to take that. She would be repulsed. She would regret doing it then.

"I just want to know." She whispered to the ceiling.

"Know what?" A deep smooth voice flowed into the room. A second later Alucard appeared across from her desk.

She nearly jumped. Her heart felt like it had hit her skull. She managed to grab her composure before it fled her completely. "Nothing of your concern." She said briskly. Her face was the usual cool mask.

He pressed on. He spoke slowly, and offhand. "Would my master be distressed by anything? Anything that I could get rid of?" She did not like the way he smiled at her right now.

"Don't you think that if there was," She said, stress making her voice colder than usual. "I would have had you take care of it by now?"

"Of course, my master. I apologize for overstepping my bounds." He gave her a half bow.

"If there is nothing else you have to say, then you are dismissed. I do not like being disturbed." Integra said. She opened some folders on her desk and began reading through the papers inside.

"I had no intent other than to see you." He said. He turned to leave.

"Alucard." Integra called him.

He turned to her again. "Yes?"

She held up a manila envelope. One of the ones Seras had brought back from the Millenium lab. "Bring these diskettes down to the lab. They've been encrypted, tell them break it. By tomorrow."

He took the envelope from her. "Yes, my master." He left the room.

Integra's shoulders slumped. She focused her mind on the work before her. With Hellsing to control, she had no room for anything else.

***

Seras wandered through the Hellsing manor with a purpose. She was looking for Pip. There were so many questions running through her head right now. She hoped that he would answer them.

The fact that she couldn't find him made her nervous. Was he avoiding her? Did he regret kissing her?

She put her finger to her lips. It wasn't the first kiss she had ever received, but it felt… important. Was that the right word for it? She shook her head, why was she so confused?

She didn't find Pip, but Adrian. He smiled when he saw her. "I'm glad to see you, mouse." He said. Seras frowned slightly. In D-11 it had been `kitten'. Now it was mouse? "I think I am lost." His smile turned rueful.

"I'm looking for Pip, have you seen him?" Seras asked.

"No." Adrian said. "Maybe if you show me around, we'll find him."

Seras looked doubtful. She really didn't want Adrian around when she found Pip.

"Will you make me beg?" Adrian asked.

Seras was surprised. Was he that lost? "Oh no. I'll show you around. Where do you want to go first?"

***

It was over an hour later and Seras had still not found Pip. Plus, with Adrian around, she didn't think she ever would. She got the distinct feeling that Adrian and Pip would not get along, though the reason for this was foreign to her.

She was relieved when she saw Walter turn a corner and walk towards them. "Ah, Master Adrian, right this way, your room has been prepared. And Miss Seras, I believe that I saw Captain Bernadotte in the garden."

Seras chose this opportunity to escape. "I'll see you later then." She said hurriedly, almost running off. She didn't dislike Adrian; she just had to find Pip.

She checked her watch. Great, the sun should be rising now. No meeting Pip in the garden today. Plus, she was getting tired. She should rest soon. She would have to wait until tonight.

Why did these things always happen to her?

She was going to force Pip answer her questions if she had to.

***

"This will be your quarters." Walter said, opening a door to a spacious chamber. In place of windows, tapestries hung. Walter indicated two doors in the room. "That is the closet, and that is the bathroom.

Adrian looked over the room. It was large, but sparsely furnished, and smelling faintly of dust. Well, they were below ground. This room had probably not gotten much use. A small table and chair sat in the center. A wine red rug covered most of the stone floor. The walls were of stone. A large coffin took up one corner.

Adrian walked up to the coffin and ran his hand lightly over the dark polished wood. "I guess this will be where I am to sleep." He laughed lightly. "It's perfect."

"Is there anything else you need?" Walter asked.

"Yes, what if I get hungry?"

"Sir Hellsing does not allow the vampires who live here to drink from humans without consent. Medical blood will be provided each night."

"Where does Alucard sleep?"

"Alucard's chambers are located one level below us."

"And Seras?"

"Down the hall."

Adrian smiled. "Excellent. If you will excuse me, I'm going to tour the garden."

Walter looked surprised. "The sun has risen already Master Adrian." He cautioned.

"I know, I'll be fine." Adrian said. He pulled a pair of sunglasses from his pocket.

***

Pip sat in the garden, watching the sunrise. He didn't hold any particular sentiment for watching the sunrise and sunset. He was only here because he knew he was in the one place Seras could not go to.

How could he have been so stupid? He shouldn't have kissed her. Even if he thought he was about to die, he shouldn't have. She must think he was a complete fool. She was strong enough to twist his head from his body; she might have if he hadn't surprised her.

Oh, it had been worth it.

His mind went back to the scene in the file room. He wondered if she was still a virgin. Only virgins could become vampires. She probably found someone after she had been turned. He wondered who it might have been. Still, she had seemed so nervous when she touched him.

His thoughts were abruptly interrupted by footsteps heading in his direction. He turned his head toward the intrusion. He was surprised to see Adrian walking toward him, sunglasses being the only extra protection other than his clothes. "You can walk around in the day?"

"In the mornings and evenings, yes." Adrian answered. Pip stood up from his bench. "No need to go on my account."

Pip looked at him almost warily. `He must want to talk to me, but he's not going to be quick about it.' Pip shrugged and sat again.

Adrian looked at the small sliver of sun peaking over the horizon through his dark glasses. In the lab, he had little chance to see the sun. He found he did not like it's harsh warmth, preferring the cool, soothing light of the moon.

Pip waited less than patiently. He tapped his foot irritably. Finally, Adrian spoke. "You are avoiding her."

Pip stiffened. How dare he. He has been here less than one night, and already making assumptions he shouldn't. "You haven't been here long enough to know me." He said harshly. "So don't act like you do."

Mild surprise crossed Adrian's face. He raised an eyebrow slightly. "You mean you are not cowardly avoiding Miss Victoria?" He asked.

Pip's gaze turned sharp. "Listen, I am Captain here. I only answer to Sir Hellsing and Alucard. I don't do anything cowardly."

Adrian looked at Pip over his glasses. "She doesn't deserve someone like you, who won't even admit you care about her. Or is it only a sexual interest?"

Swift as lightning Pip's fist shot out and connected with Adrian's jaw. Adrian was thrown back with the force of the blow. Pip stood over him seething. "You're not worth it." He spat. Then he turned and walked out of the garden.

***

Adrian put two fingers to his jaw tenderly as he sat up. He would pay for that. But it would be worth it if Pip stopped avoiding Seras. He touched his jaw again, trying to feel if something was broken. Pain shot through it and it began to throb. The sunlight made him weaker than he thought. He had better get back inside.

He turned his thoughts to Seras Victoria. A very beautiful, vibrant woman. He hadn't known her long at all, but he was drawn to her. He would have to get to know her.

He smiled weakly as he stepped into the cool darkness of the front hall. Something about this dark dreary place calmed him. Maybe that was what had affected his mood, to do something nice for the first time in his life. He had not been taught kindness. He knew that what he had done was not the best way to go about these things, but it was a good first attempt.

Now he just had to wait for what happened next.

AUTHOR"S CORNER: A bit of silliness in an otherwise serious fic.

Okay, I've spoiled by the people here at FF.net. I must have more reviews. ::laughs maniacally::

::Adrian steps forward, a chain around his neck. He reads from a paper.:: "Please review, and I will be whipped and beaten." ::looks to the Author:: "Hey, sounds like fun."

::Author smacks head with heel of hand.::

"What?" ::Adrian looks at paper again.:: "Oops. It says, please review OR I will be whipped and beaten. Aw man, that's no fun."

::Author stalks off muttering:: "I should have used Pip."