Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Spoils of War ❯ Part IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

a/n:I could say that I wrote this chapter for myself, to clear out all the wonky tension in the wake of that lemon, but that's not entirely true. To be honest, I wrote it for Seras. Um. Cos she kinda made me. It may be jarring for some readers, what with all the AxI that's been throughout this story, but I don't think it ruins it. It reads a bit like an epilogue, but I didn't mark it as such because the end of Part III really didn't feel like a proper ending to me. Enough babble from me. On with the conclusion….


Part IV



Seras Victoria crouched over the graves of the dead. She stared at the dirt under her fingernails and frowned deeply. It did not bother her that she had been adding to the compound's private cemetery. Seras knew her master far too well; he would have left the bodies to rot and Integra…Integra didn't deserve such an odious task.

Master….

She sighed wearily, knowing well enough that she was no longer a servant, was now her own vampire. Funny, she didn't feel that way. It was strange. Was it normal for her to want to stay with Alucard? Was she supposed to leave? Seras wished that she knew.

“Here you are,” Sir Integra's voice intoned behind her. Seras stood straight and turned to face her.

Though Integra was only a few hours head, she held herself with the pride and confidence of someone as ancient as her once-master. Seras could not speak as she looked at her, both in awe and horror. The first question that came to her mind was, why? Why would a woman whose entire life had been devoted to fighting the undead choose to become one?

Integra smiled, “it doesn't matter, Seras. You must understand that there was ten years of history between Alucard and I before you were brought into the picture.”

“I know,” Seras murmured, a bit embarrassed by her naiveté. Only recently had she discovered the true depth of her master's relationship with Sir Integra. She supposed it had been painfully obvious all along. Why else would he have so happily, willingly served?

“What will you do, Seras Victoria?” Integra asked softly.

Seras's crimson eyes widened, startled by the question, “I…I don't know,” she replied, “What has become of the organization? I mean…I don't suppose it can be salvaged, can it?”

Integra shrugged, “I don't intend to give up my life's mission, if that's what you mean. Millenium spread their filth all over Europe and the United Kingdom.” A small, rather wicked smile curled Integra's lips, “and I am sure Alucard wouldn't protest to exterminating the last of those freaks.”

Seras felt a grin split her lips, “Will you let me stay with the both of you?”

Integra favoured her with a bemused look, “only if you wish to. As I understand, you are as I am, unbound by servitude.”

Seras laughed softly. She could never be like Sir Integra, but she supposed that she was free. If she wanted to, she could just put this nightmare behind her and try her hand at being alone for awhile. For a long moment she thought on such independence. After all, she'd lived most of her mortal life on her own….

No, that's not true, Seras thought honestly. I've been searching…And haven't I found exactly what I've wanted here with them? “I will stay,” she told Integra in her best, no-nonsense voice. “I want to stay.”

Sir Integra smiled again, but this time it was gentler, almost beatific. It occurred to Seras that she'd seen her smile more in the past few minutes than she had ever seen in the past several months that she'd known her. “Good,” she chuckled, “Believe it or not, I've grown rather attached to you.”

Seras returned her smile, feeling suddenly shy. She wasn't sure what they were to each other. Friends didn't seem to be the right term. Their connection ran far deeper; they were blood relations now.

Sister?

Mother?

Integra made a dismissive gesture with one hand, “mortal terms, Seras. We're no longer of that world, are we?”

Seras looked up into a sky without stars. The most perfect night she'd ever beheld. She was no longer human; she hadn't been human for a long while now. Maybe it was time to accept that, stop running from the darkness.

Integra held her hand out to her, “come now. Don't you think it's about time you stopped being so difficult?”

She took the offered hand without question, though she felt the irony of her easy acceptence of Integra's words. After all, hadn't Alucard been trying to tell her the same thing, albeit in his own way?

In a comfortable silence, they began to walk hand in hand back toward the ruined compound. As Seras studied Integra, an idle thought came to mind and she frowned. “What are you going to do about the er…sleeping arrangements?”

Integra narrowed her eyes at her, “what do you mean? Is there something that I don't know?”

Seras laughed nervously, “oh no, nothing like that! I mean…What about a coffin? Don't you need one?”

She scowled and gave a rather unladylike snort, “if Alucard thinks that I'm sleeping in any bloody coffin, he's more cracked than I thought.”

Seras fretted despite Integra's indignance, “but…you'll have to at some point! And…and anyway where will you sleep if not a coffin?”

“My bedroom has blackout curtains. It has done quite enough in the past.”

Seras blushed at her casual implication, “oh well but what about--?”

Integra stopped mid-motion and gave her a stern look, “Honestly Seras, do you think me some brainless trollop that got herself bitten by a vampire?”

“Of course not!”

“Undead or not, I am still a Hellsing. While I appreciate your concern, I think I'm quite capable of dealing with my new condition.”

Seras lowered her eyes, “I…I'm sorry.”

Integra sighed, “No…it's quite alright. There are certain elements of our situation that concern me as well.”

Seras didn't have to wonder what worried her. Human blood was a rare commodity in London and its surrounding areas. Not to mention travel was going to be quite difficult with much of Europe in chaos. “What will we do?” she asked quietly.

Integra laughed, “I wouldn't worry too much. The three of us will surely be able to come up with something. If nothing else no one knows what has become of me, and my name still holds clout in many circles.”

Seras felt a surge of adoration for her and was momentarily speechless. Perhaps there was nothing to worry about, perhaps all this was just a minor setback to something greater….

Integra's cold fingers wrapped around hers once more and Seras was a bit startled but unsurprised to hear Integra's voice in her head. And anyway, who could stop us? Who would dare get in our way?

Seras's lips moved in a near silent whisper, Not a bloody soul.




Finis



I know…it seems like a set up for a sequel, but I swear I don't intend one. Well…At least not until Hirano finishes some more of the manga.