Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ The Student ❯ The First Night ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Fuck!” Ember yelled as she rolled out of the way of Alucard's boot clad foot. “At least give me a chance to stand up damn it!”
 
“Would any other opponent stop to let you get up?” Alucard question as Ember managed to make it off the ground and took off towards the abandoned house off a little ways.
 
“No!” Ember yelped the answer as she saw Alucard appear in front of her. She started thinking, and willing her body to do so, “Come on faze, faze, faze! He's not there! Go through him!”
 
“Very nice…” Alucard said turning around and strolled after Ember who had manage to faze through him this time. That was what they were working on tonight, fazing, along with her reaction time, and her fighting abilities without her sword. “You did it this time.”
 
“That's because you're actually trying to kill me!” Ember yelled as she fought to keep her eyes open so she could see if he teleported up ahead, her instinct when she was terrified was to close her eyes and believe it'd go away, but in this situation it'd just get her hurt.
 
Alucard shook his head at this as he watched her faze through the door to the house. So he had gone a bit far with this lesson, but she had learned to faze, or at least she could now that she was scared.
 
Ember made it up the stairs only to run headlong into Alucard's chest. “Let me go…” Ember whined as Alucard grabbed her upper arms to keep her still.
 
“Ok I understand, I went a bit too far.” Alucard said as he moved them away from the stairs. “Just calm the hell down. It's over.”
 
Ember whimpered clenching her eyes such against his red eyes. She was acting, well for lack of better words, human, but she was terrified at this moment. Alucard had scared her, but that wasn't what had her acting like this, she was used to being afraid that was nothing new now, it's that he had used her past against her.
 
Alucard released her once he was sure she would stay standing, and not fall to the ground. “Are you over it?”
 
Ember opened her eyes nodding slightly. “Yeah…I'm fine.” Ember said looking off to the side. “What's next?”
 
Alucard didn't exactly expect that from her, he expected her to ask if they could stop for the night. Very few people ever surprised him, and it took him slightly off guard for a moment. “First things first, can you phase while you're calm?”
 
“I don't suggest trying to make me do anything if it should be done while I'm calm until tomorrow night…” Ember said in all honesty as she looked back over at him.
 
“Very well.” Alucard said watching her carefully as he pulled out his glasses from his jacket. “We're done for tonight, let's go back before the sun comes up.”
 
“You never seem that worried about the sun rising…” Ember said as they headed downstairs. “Why?”
 
“I can walk under the sun, I just hate it is all.” Alucard said as he opened the door to the house and walked out after Ember. “Not to mention I can teleport.”
 
“I suppose the odds of that happening for me are very slim…” Ember said as he led the way.
 
“I will teach you to teleport, that I'll teach you after you master a few other things. But I doubt you'll be able to go out in the daytime…” Alucard said looking over at her. “Then again I've been proven wrong before.”
 
“I'm surprised you'll even admit that…” Ember said eyeing him wearily.
 
“It hasn't happened often, so don't get your hopes up.” Alucard said as the main road came into view up ahead. “I'm not teaching you how to go out in daytime either. Something like that isn't taught. I won't help in any way either.”
 
“I understand.” Ember said nodding.
 
Alucard couldn't help but wonder why she had acted like that. She had been afraid the other night when he met her, but it didn't bother her that much. This was something else. This was deeper then the normal fear that everyone else felt when fighting, but then again she did think he was trying to kill her. Maybe that was it; she had just missed death before, lightly speaking, and didn't want to die again.
 
~
 
Once back in the house Ember seemed unwilling to go upstairs, and had seemed planted in her spot next to the back of the couch.
 
Alucard sensing her dilemma gave her something else to do. “There's blood in the fridge. Help yourself.”
 
Ember looked over at him as he took a seat on the couch picking up a book. “Thanks…” Ember muttered before walking into the kitchen.
 
This wasn't working out the way Ember had pictured it. Then again, she didn't think it'd be easy either. She'd just put up with it until she had learned enough. She'd have to face her past sooner or later, maybe it was better to have someone who was completely naïve to the situation make her do so.
 
Ember almost laughed at that last thought. Alucard was anything but naïve, if anything he just wasn't informed of what was going on in her head yet. If he so wish within the course of the day he could probably know, in detail, every little thing that happened in her life that was locked somewhere up in her head. If he wanted more Ember was sure he could have Hellsing track down her old life and find out what she had done, where she had been, and probably who she had dated, and that probably take less time the sorting through her messed up head.
 
Ember took a blood pack and then sat down at the table and started to drain the pack. It was good to not have to hunt down prey even though blood was better hot, after a good run. Ember shook her head as she realized that she had finished off the whole thing like a juice pack.
 
“It's nice to see someone with a healthy appetite…” Alucard said taking a seat across from her.
 
Ember smiled at him lazily as she stood up and threw away the empty packet. “Want one?”
 
“Mmhmm…” Alucard answered as he watched her. “And get another one for yourself.”
 
Ember didn't protest as she grabbed two from the fridge. Ember sent his flying towards his head as she sat down. He caught it easily enough as she sat down again. “You don't hit me as the type to have a stash of blood.”
 
“Courtesy of Hellsing, they hope by stocking me up on blood I won't go on a mass killing spree to have dinner.” Alucard said with a shrug before he started drinking.
 
“If you did that every night the human race would be screwed to say the least…” Ember said after tearing her lips away from the packet. “But then again if you wanted to take over the world it'd probably be underway by now.”
 
“I'm not out to take over the world, that would just destroy it in the process, and that wouldn't help me at all, it would just end everything, which is what all those moronic freaks don't understand. Once the human race is gone, that ends the food supply.” Alucard said having already emptied his pack of blood. “I won't tolerate it if you try anything stupid with the human race by the way.”
 
“I have no wish to rule anything.” Ember said taking their packets to the trash. “I just want to keep all my body parts intact for as long as possible. The only thing I want from the human race is food, and last time I checked you had no problem with that.”
 
“I don't.” Alucard said as she sat back down. “The sun's coming up in a few minutes don't you want to get within falling distance of a bed?”
 
“I don't pass out the second the sun rises; I can stay up for about a week before I'll feel the need to sleep. I just can't go outside unless I feel like ending my life.” Ember said with a shrug.
 
“So what happened?” Alucard asked causally.
 
“Tonight?” When Alucard nodded Ember sighed. “Why do you want to know anyway?”
 
“Just to know.” Alucard said boredly. “If you don't want to tell me then don't.”
 
“Is that your way of saying you'll just find out later?” Ember asked.
 
“Eventually I will make you tell me if it interferes with my teaching you.” Alucard said as Ember stood up. “Have a nice day.”
 
Ember nodded before leaving the room, and heading upstairs. She wasn't tired, but she wanted out of this room. She didn't want to be near him right now. He probably thought she was tired. She'd prove him wrong in a while, when she came back down, assuming he'd be in the living room.