Howl's Moving Castle Fan Fiction ❯ An Unwelcome Visitor ❯ In Which a Visitor Arrives ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is my first Howl's Moving Castle story, please review and tell me how you like it. It'd be much appreciated. Any ideas or comments you are welcome to E-mail me at Mirkwoodmaiden16@aol.com
Thanks loves!
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters, except Lillian, as she is a completely from my imagination. Though I'd gladly trade her to own Howl :]
 
 
“Kingsbury door!”
 
Yawning, the impatient fire demon's flames rose higher in the hearth for a minute and then settled back to their natural height. The rapping on the door grew louder, more frequent, and quite more agitating to the sleeping Calcifer. Wavering slightly he got up his determination to scream again.
 
“Kingsbury door!”
 
He never understood why people chose to ignore him when he had important things to say. Although the castle looked quite big on the outside it only consisted of a small living space, so he knew that both Howl and Markl were aware of his shrieks. Howl, Calcifer decided, was most likely in the bathroom taking care of his appearance.
 
“Humans,” Calcifer smirked.
 
His eyes rolled as a flaming arm shot out to the hoard of decaying wood Sophie had placed near enough to his hearth for him to reach. Gnawing on the wood Calcifer came to the conclusion that Howl's appearance was the second most important thing in Howl's life. First, had been for some time now, was Sophie. Markl, Howl's apprentice, had also changed significantly since Sophie had come to live with them; Markl became more dedicated in his studies. Markl made the promise that he'd protect Sophie if she never was to leave, and Sophie happily obliged.
 
“Kingsbury door! HOOWWWLLL, I'm getting a headache! Markl, please someone, I beg you.” Finally the impatient fire demon heard thumps above his head signaling that someone had heard his pleas and was making their way down the stairs.
 
“Finally, I don't think that you understand that when I yell it's usually important. You know I've been thinking and I can see why you were called `Horrible Howl', IT'S STARTING TO FIT!”
 
A wave of perfume settled over the quaint kitchen signifying Howl's entrance. He was wearing his ever common black pants and boots, which matched his raven colored hair perfectly. His blue and silver jacket brought out the color in his eyes, and the blue stone jingling from his ear really set his eyes off.
 
“Good morning, old friend,”
 
He made his way down the steps to the door; he turned the knob till it came to the red circle. He shook a long slender finger at Calcifer as he passed. Howl was used to the fire demon making derogatory comments so he didn't really pay the comments much attention. Howl yanked open the door only to be met with an exotic auburn haired girl flinging herself into his arms.
 
Howl was altogether surprised by this action; most of his ex-girlfriends had stopped barging in when they had found out about his engagement. The majority had sent malicious letters; some were filled with spells and curses, asking how he could find love in a common hat shop girl, with such a common name as `Sophie Hatter'. Howl had given up trying to be rational with the girls and resulted and throwing the letters instantly over to Calcifer, who ate them with much contempt.
 
“Howl! Oh my I've missed you! It's been far too long; I can't believe I haven't seen you in 5 years.” She let go of the wizard, who was still in shock, picked up her travel bags and collapsed on the couch.
 
Looking to her right she saw Calcifer, who was hiding behind one of his logs peeking out from the side. He had never been overly fond of Lillian, an ex- fiancée of Howl; she had always talked to him in a way that made him feel inadequate. This puzzled him since he was more than a million years older than her, and in reality, should be talking to her in that way.
 
“CALLLYYY, hoo-oo-www have YYYY-OOOO-UUUU been feeee—eee-lllll-ing?” She was waving her hands in a frantic manner as if that would help him understand her better.
 
Calcifer sighed and blew smoke out of his mouth and up the chimney. “I've been great Lillian, how nice of you to ask. If you call great slaving away for the tyrant, whose name I won't mention,” He made a hysterical gesture toward Howl, who was not watching him but had his eyes fixed on Lillian. “But you know I can't really complain, you know? Oh, my time has been made more tolerable by this lovely girl that Howl has been see-,”
 
“Lillian, is that really you? Wow, I never expected you to show up at my door. How have you been?” Howl shut the door and walked over to Lillian, sitting down next to her. He pulled her in close for another hug, wrapping his arm tightly around her back.
 
“Oh Howl, I've just been dying to see you for so long, but I wasn't sure if you'd want to see me after all that happened. I've been so busy lately, but I woke up to day and thought to myself `Lillian today is the day, go see Howl Jenkins and show him what he's been missing.' and I did. The moment I saw you standing in that doorway I knew I had made the right choice.”
 
Lillian let go of Howl long enough to lean over and force her way on top of him. Her perfectly styled locks fell around his face as she leaned in close.
 
“Uhh—Howl? I wouldn't--” Calcifer didn't get to finish his warning because a girl with starlight hair burst through the doorway, her parcels falling everywhere.
 
“Howl darling, would you--? Oh, uhem,” she stopped abruptly taking in the sight of her fiancé in the arms of another, very attractive, woman. They instantly broke a part, Howl jumped up, knocking Lillian off him, to help Sophie with the parcels. Lillian pulled out a compact mirror and started perfecting her hair.
 
 
“Sophie love, it is not what it looks like. This is my old friend Lillian, she just appeared on our door step just before you did and we were just catching up,” His arm snaking instinctively around her waist. His lips grazed hers in a polite greeting.
 
 
“Ex-fiancée, darling,” Lillian gave a seductive smile toward Sophie. Sophie knew this girl would be a tough one to compete with.